Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dubdub81

Has anybody been to the US since December 6th who has had Covid? I am due to fly there next month having just recovered. The CDC states

The covid recovery cert says its not a travel document so i am wondering if anyone has been over there and what docs they used? I presume the HSE is not handing out letters to say people have recovered from Covid and direct everyone to the recovery cert

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It says it is not a travel doc meaning it doesn't replace a passport. If you also had covid before, you will probably test negative on a PCR now.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

Flying to France end of the month, have my booster, but they require proof of booster for entry. Are we able to see our booster data anywhere? Feels like a bunch of children are running the country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nope.

Loads of people will be screwed because no update on eu cert.

Unless you got your second vaccine dose within 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

I'll just squeeze inside the 7 months but people im with won't be so lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 MIDLANDSMAN

Hi. I have a quick question . My wife (vaccinated and boosted) is abroad at the moment and due to return in 2 days. She has just got a negative antigen test in a pharmacy which they told her are accepted for travel. However she has noticed that it doesn’t have her passport number. The cert has her name, type and make of test, time, date,etc.

I have been trying to find out if she needs to have passport details on it but have found nothing.

Does anybody know if they will require passport details especially at the departure/check-in? She may need another test if they are picky about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I haven't heard anything about our EU certs expiring after 7 months, can anyone confirm if this is the case? if so, what are we meant as the booster hasn't been added to it, can we use the little card we got instead? Meant to be heading to Lanzarote next week, it's so stressful as there seem to be different updates every day.

France only accepting qr code of booster on your cert from the 15th January.

Indoor hospitality etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

My son flew UK to Dublin few days before Xmas , he got an antigen test done and the cert just had his name , gate staff just checked the name matched passport and boarding card ,and was allowed board no problem.

• Advertisement

That's what I'm trying to tell you.

Cards wont be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm in France at the moment and got my antigen test this morning. No passport number on mine either, only name and date of birth. I had to complete a form beforehand and there was no field for passport number, only the French social security number. I don't anticipate any problems tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

It’s certainly a way to keep people on Covid island. Although presumably the EU Covid Cert will updated at some point.

Sorry think mixing things up.

From 15th January a qr code with the booster is needed to get in anywhere in France.

No qr code= no entry.

The travel bit I'm unsure of, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

I am about to book Thailand for June. I feel like things will have to have improved by then.

Is that a reasonable assumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

France didn't block Americans from getting in anywhere in France last summer, nor did almost anywhere else in Europe for that matter. Everywhere thats tourism dependent was more than happy to accept foreign proof of vaccination. Even if it was just a paper CDC card.

Its highly unlikely France won't accept foreign proof in two weeks time either, because if they did it would effectively rule out any non-EU tourists visiting the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Euronews have a list of entry requirements for each European country;

However they have this listed for every country now;

• Connected to the EU Digital COVID Certificate (EUDCC), which allows restriction-free travel across all EU and EEA countries following proof of vaccination and a negative COVID test.

I mean…shouldn’t that be an “or” instead of “and a negative covid test” ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats exactly what they said last summer "officially" too, but on the ground in France the CDC card was accepted everywhere. Its very, very unlikely that changes.

• Advertisement

They made changes last night apparently that no qr code means no entry.

Anyway we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

travel last summer was pretty easy with the certs etc, you’d have to hope something similar will be back in place soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Couple of points;

1. My antigen test performed in a pharmacy in France was accepted by check in staff and immigration at DUB who inspected it thoroughly. It did not have my passport number, but did have my name, address and DOB which they could cross reference.
    2. In France during the summer, non EU DCC people had to go to a pharmacy to get their vaccination abroad (from certain countries only) validated and then issued with a DCC from France. This allowed them to gain access without much hassle. I would presume a similar set up will be in place. You should still be fine to enter the country. Bring your booster card is with you. They really love that “pass sanitare” there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I went to the USA a week before Xmas, got a test the day before at goSafe48 in Dundrum. They promised a result in 6 hours, it took 7, which was OK, I suppose. In both directions, my vaccination cert and test results were examined at check-in only, and at no other times.

Getting a test in the USA over New Year … yikes. The good news is that there are free tests. The bad news is that the usual testing places such as pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens) are fully booked up well in advance, up to a week ahead, which I was not expecting at all. PCR result times are all over the place, some up to 72 hours, they say, and literally everything was shut on New Year’s Eve (a Federal holiday). I got a rapid test on New Year’s Day, the day before flying, at a drive-through in a parking lot. They said 24 hours, but the guy was English and I asked nicely.

So I got a result back the same day … with the wrong test date and my name misspelled. They fixed it quickly, thankfully, but the cert looked like a bog-standard Word document with a lab logo, edited and saved to a PDF. Would the airline accept it at check-in? They did, and also checked my passenger locator form. That was the last check, in Dublin it was just the usual passport check.

PS I was with friends near Houston TX, and had plenty of opportunities to catch COVID, including trips to big stores where many didn’t wear masks (H-E-B for example) and days out (Houston Zoo, Galveston). My friends’ kids got an exposure warning through a bus driver who reported symptoms, but they tested negative. No masks in the house at all.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wonder if your friends are my friends too. Exact same story from the same day and locations

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭diddlybo

How are the entry PCR'S being checked currently, is it on check in for the flight or in Dublin on arrival? We're currently in Peru and will be transiting through Amsterdam on our way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

They glanced at mine, just checked name - my passport number was on it, but they didn't seem arsed, so long as it has her name I'd imagine it will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The airline should check them at check in or at the gate. In theory if booked through, then they should check in Peru at the check in desk. They may check again at the gate in Amsterdam. It's most likely that you won't be asked in Dublin on arrival as they presume the airlines have done their job, but they do spot checks and I was asked this week and in mid-December for my antigen test by Immigration.

Also remember it is 48/72 hours (PCR) from your booked arrival time into Ireland. With Peru being behind, you can calculate the time difference and work back from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

So my understanding is that if you go abroad, you need a negative test to get back into Ireland (even if you have a vaccine cert, booster etc). What happens if you actually test positive though, are you stuck abroad until you get a negative test result?

This is the main thing deterring me from traveling atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

People are talking about "booster cards" but neither myself (vaccinated by a MVC) nor my parents (vaccinated in the doctors) got any card or any information to say we'd had the booster.

I don't think there is an awareness of how much of a pain in the ass this actually is. The Irish government need to get off their asses NOW and add the booster to our EU Covid certs. At the moment there is absolutely no way to prove that we have gotten boosters, its an absolute disgrace.

That, and the test-before-entry here HAS to go. My bet is that they will drag both of these things out and fix them at the start of February, but that won't help for the trip I want to book in late January. With work etc, I just can't risk contracting Omicron abroad, having a sniffle, failing an antigen test and not being able to get back to Ireland. (Belfast is a 5 hour drive so thats not worth it!

Advertisement