Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Alcohol pricing to be signed into Law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,568 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Oh ok. I get that I have been on that side far more often than being able to afford to fk about.

Im more thinking about people who are now boasting about putting substantial time and logistics into getting some cheap cans from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes I don't see travel to the UK specifically to buy cans becoming too popular.

Maybe truck drivers who are there anyway will throw a few cases of beer in the cab.

Truck drivers bringing wine from France was quite common before supermarkets started discounting.

Well listening to all the big hard lads on here it will be widespread especially seeing as they are gonna boycott the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Ok so 8 500ml Heineken cans was €14 most places, how much today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

4.3%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ablelocks

cheers and 2 fingers (of whiskey) to the Judgy McJudgeFaces on boards that comment on people who are only trying to save money on the alcohol that they buy for their own consumption. What's it to you whether someone chooses to go to the North to buy their beer or how much they buy of it? They're their own men or women and can make their own decisions without having randomers judging them.

jesus it's enough to drive you to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This is one I find honestly bizarre. There are some who will spend a day out of their life, travelling god knows how far, for a few quid of a few beers or bottles of wine. Like seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I go up north once or twice a year anyway. I'll just make sure to bring back what I need for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,272 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You never worked overtime to earn more money? Whats the difference in spending time to earn money or save it to acquire the same things.

There are people who travel for all kinds of arbitrary reasons. To catch a glimpse of a bird. To watch 30 guys trying to play football. To go to a place that looks an awful lot like where they left, just because it has a different selection of shops or restaurants or buildings.

Some people dont mind travelling. Enjoy shopping.

Are retired and have lots of time on their hands.

A parallel of the hunt...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Go go to see the bird because it doesn't exist where you are and every match is a unique event in the story of the season.

You don't travel because seeing the bird is €1 cheaper than seeing the bird down the road from your house

• Registered Users Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I doubt anyone is going to go out of their way to save a euro I saw people in the Christmas rush abandoning trollies with the euro in them rather than walk down the car park to return them and get it back 🙂

Everyone is different and if they want to go to NI to save a few bob good luck to them.

If they happen to be up there anyway even better.

€14 in Aldi. I got 8 there now as we'd normally have a few beers on a Tuesday as herself is off on a Wednesday. It was only 40 ish cent more expensive than an 8 pack of Aldi's own, which used to be what 7.89?

Honestly can't see that lasting, I reckon the Heineken will be up to €20 before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,272 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

People travel all the time to save a few euros or everyone would shop in their closest shop.

People were going up north from Dublin for appliances when argos uk worked out much cheaper than here. Ditto for medicines.

You are going to be saving more than 1 euro per item it you drink wine / sparkling / fortifieds (especially on a 25 percent off deal) or spirits.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

People in the Celtic Tiger years regularly flew to New York, on a different contintent 5000+ km away, to save money on shopping. The idea that they won't drive 60 minutes/100km up the road to do the same is nonsense.

The border towns in NI are going to make a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I guess it's hard to know, but I'd have thought it's more likely that the own brands like that will disappear for the most part.

As things stand, it's probably not going to affect me too much, assuming price differentiation doesn't come into play. The Crafty/ Solas Rye River beers are generally the cheapest of my regular purchases and they're above MUP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They should enjoy it while it lasts, Sinn Féin want to introduce MUP in the North and it’s likely they will take the First Minister role later this year and place it high up on the policy agenda.

I was in the North a couple of times for events last year - I didn't bother stopping for any shopping, but would imagine I'll be hit up for orders this year, particularly the wine. My cousins an hour or so away from Enniskillen on the southern side of the border regularly head to asda for a "family shop" as it is.

I wouldn't dismiss it at certain times of the year - I saw some serious "drink" trollies in tesco just before christmas, when awareness of mup was low. It'd be worth their while even from here in Wicklow for €20 a slab saving plus the spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Reports on another thread in After Hours of most single craft beers in Tesco going up already by 50c. Includuing Old Craft hen and Mc Gargles Session IPA. Unsurprisngly, ABV and calculators doesn't really matter when it comes to sales, shevling strategy and perception of higher quality = higher cost.

Independant retailers now have a chance to compete with supermarkets if this is the case so will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Won't really affect any beers I buy bar supermarket lagers, with Rheinbacher being the most obvious and annoying casualty, if it even survives this which I assume it won't. The other two low-priced lagers I like don't seem to be too badly affected, as they're not sold in multipacks, Tesco Manislav (up 50c to 2 euro) and Aldi Rossini (unchanged at 1.99).

Still an extremely retrograde and agenda-driven piece of legislation though.

Just had a look there, and most are the same. The O'Hara's and McGargles were regularly on offer at €2.50, reduced from €3, but most haven't increased base price. They higher ABV ones have gone up an extra 50c from looking at it online, as have the Solas ones. Biggest jump is probably the hobgoblin, which was €2.09 I think and is now €3. The Kinnegar and Trouble Brewing all the same price (which was always more expensive than the independents anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

If you were close enough to the border you could make a day out of going up to Newry. Nothing bizarre about it at all.

fwiw I really don't have the expertise to know whether the price differentiation thing will play out. I would've thought Diageo/ Heineken/ Molson Coors would see it as an opportunity to drive market share up by adding all the own brand drinkers to their number. But equally they could decide to try and make a killing.

I would say Tesco took the opportunity to try and make a killing when the 4 for 10 offers were banned, and it was a good few weeks before O'Hara's and McGargles were regularly reduced to 2.50.

It's the kind of snide gaslighting that's made the AH thread so unpleasant. Constant comments about people being obsessed with alcohol, presumably from people that perhaps themselves have some kind of undeclared agenda re: alcohol.

Alcohol for me is a part of a monthly grocery spend. If I I can combine an occasional trip to the North and save myself money on my annual household spend, why the hell shouldn't I do it?

For anyone heading North (particularly the eastern part) check Jonesboro as well. It's a minute off the motorway and they don't have the absolute best selection they often get random nice things in. And you can just buy on the way home if you're on the fence.

If anyone is going to Newry, hit the bargain stores in and around where TK Maxx is. Buying for a family (particularly with young kids) you can save ludicrous amounts on toiletries and OTC medication. Generic painkillers 29p for 16, one a day allergy tablets 14 for 49p etc. Branded stuff is a decent bit cheaper but it's the generics where you'll save a stupid amount of money.

Nice one. I go to the North a few times a year to visit friends (at least pre-Covid) and this is something I should have thought of before.

I guess now that my petty and raving alcoholic desire for a handful of beers a week is now firmly ensconced at my mental steering wheel, I should check this out.

And as I always have to point out, KFC is a lot cheaper and a bit nicer over the border. :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I cross through NI semi regularly, and generally I stop in a Tesco and buy a bottle of whisky, as invariably there is a 'deal' on something compared to Dublin prices. You might pay less than half.

The reality is that anyone who lives along the border is already shopping in NI and MUP will obviously exacerbate that, and there's nothing impractical about that activity.

That said, I can understand why people poke fun at people who say they are going to travel much longer distances in order to buy slabs of cheaper cans.

If you drove up several times a year and filled the car, to ensure a supply of acceptably-priced cans, I suppose you'd have to factor in fuel, and then whatever value you would assign to the time involved. A lot of people would be limited to Saturdays and Sundays, presuming they weren't going to use their annual leave for their beer runs.

Sure I could plan a family weekend up north, and persuade the wife on that basis, and then hit up the supermarket on the way back, but packing for everyone on an overnight would really limit the amount of slabs I could fit in the car. I suppose I could persuade the kids to sit on slabs and tell them they were a new form of booster seat? Could I talk the missus into leave the buggy at home so we could fit in an extra few cans? Then there'd invariably be a stand-off over how much of your supermarket shop was to be your beer and how much was to be a cut-price food shop.

For those lucky retirees or students who might be able to get the train up, that could be relaxing except how many slabs could a foot passenger actually carry back? My father in law would be game for trying to manage a few trays of lager, but with his hip he's not up to much these days. I'd imagine you'd have to get a taxi back from Tesco to the train station, which could eat into savings... For those who don't drive I think their best option might actually be - hear me out here - car-pooling! Or perhaps even hitch-hiking.

On boards.ie every time there is a price hike in the pubs or something akin to MUP happens there are posters saying that's it, they're done with the local pubs, or they're driving to NI now, and that's the end of it... When MUP is brought in in NI in 2023 we'll have people saying they're getting the ferry to the UK to fill their car with budget cans. How many actually do any of these things? Probably few, really, and nobody more than a couple of times. Unless, getting back to beginning of this post, they actually live on the border, when it becomes a much more practical proposition.

And before anyone says I'm trying to shame anyone - I'm really not - it's just a bit of levity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Home distilling is the way to go much easier and cheaper to get into than home brewing.

https://www.geterbrewed.ie/still-spirits-air-still-essentials-kit/

Advertisement