Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

That's a bit simplistic. The quote depends on a lot of factors. Battery or not (and size), diverter, bungalow or 2 stories, ease of access to roof, ease of access from roof to fuseboard, extra for slate tiles. One aspect or two. All of these things make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

If you go DIY, then only thing that you actually need a sparks for is to connect the AC cable from the inverter into an MCB / RCBO - that's all.

What you REALLY need is to get the brackets fitted to your roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, and this is -exactly- the reason why I've always supported the "no names policy", even though it annoys me at times. The reality is that most people don't post positive reviews, or even if they did....they tend to be overshadowed by a few negative ones. Doesn't matter if they have been completely legitimate. Covid sickness, swamped......or sometimes the person/people just "had a bad day" (it happens to all of us). That's not to say that all negative comments are wrong, only that it can very easily paint a picture that isn't fair.

I also think people are too hung up on meeting the formula. It's not meant to be the "exact thing" you pay. In fact, while I like it myself, it's real main aim is to weed out the gougers. if the formula reckons you should be paying €7500 and you've been quoted €12850, well you know what to do with that quote. Prices have risen in the past 12 months a little (I reckon about 5-10%) so it'll be harder to meet it now that it was previously. That's not to say that there aren't good deals out there though.

I think you should be getting at least 5 quotes (or 3x quotes from suppliers that you've been recommended).....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭onzlo

Hi All, I’ve received two quotes from two different companies. Keep in mind, they haven’t been to the house and prices are before any grants. I’m kinda waiting for the pre-2011 rule to be scrapped.

My house is south facing (slightly SSE) in Co. Carlow and in 2021 my usage was about 7200 units. Had an EV for 8 months, don’t have one right now but likely will again in the next two years.

Quote 1: €10,900

• 4kw - 12x JA solar tier 1 345w panels
    • 5kw solis hybrid inverter
    • 5kw pure drive battery
    • eddi and Wi-Fi dongle
    • This one is about €1400 over the guidelines.

Quote 2: €11,800

• 5.18kw - 14 x JA Solar Pv 370w panels
    • 5kw givenergy hybrid inverter
    • 5.2kwh givenergy battery
    • no eddi
    • these guys mentioned that seai are pushing eligibility from 2011 to 2020 and they will be able to get the grant for me. They said there was no real need for an immersion (I don’t have one in anyway). I’m assuming here they mean there is no point in getting the eddi and installing an immersion in my tank.
    • Going by the guidelines here, post grant, it’s about €1600 over. Allowing for price increases in the last year, I think it could be worse. Although, if I could, I’d like the hot water :D

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Note post reports aren't working. If you have an issue, pm @Pawwed Rig

For what it's worth, of course anyone is free to take issue with any company if they're having a bad experience.

Although it is also suspicious when someone who has had no other interaction on this forum that I'm aware of suddenly pops up in 2 separate threads to criticise a particular company...

• Advertisement

Not bad quotes - I suspect I know the 2nd one.....

Your right, given the rise over the last 6 months or so they aren't outrageous. Certainly your not being "ripped off" there in either quote like we've seen from others. Can't say if this is the new state of the market or not.....it seems like it's been slowly going here.

I guess the question about the EDDI is "how do you heat your water today?" If you already have an immersion heater, then the eddi makes a small amount of sense. if you don't have an immersion then I'd agree with them, don't bother. EDDI's are typically something that, while convenient, you'll never make your money back on. I got one in myself, but to be fair, I know I'll never get the money I paid for it back in "savings". I'd spend the EDDI money on a bigger battery as a general recommendation, although it's nice to have hot water for 7-8 months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Deduct the eddie of quote 1 and add more panels for the same price would be my call. plus a little haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AGC22

Hi All , I'm looking at getting a PV system installed this year. Usage is 7,600 kWh per year, myself and my partner both work full time from home. We have an existing thermodynamic panel for hot water.

Would be thinking about a system with battery storage but without the water diverter thing. Don't have an EV but may get one in 2-3 years.

What size system would you recommend, is it bigger is better?

Could anyone suggest companies I should contact for quotes (PM me)?

Appreciate your help, I'm new to this !

You will never regret having too many panels but you will regret having too few. Go big my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Bigger generally better.

Do you have any idea of your energy usage vs time of the day?

Will you work full time from home after the pandemic?

If your motivation is as quick as possible payback, then a small system with you using as much generated electricity as possible is the quickest way to see a return on investment. Sure a larger array may be better for the environment and give you better self sufficiency, from a purlely economic perspective they will take longer to pay off.

• Advertisement

Realistically, you need at least 4kWp to be looking at getting decent charge into a car

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AGC22

After pandemic will still be full time at home. Re usage, probably spread throughout day and late evenings. But conscious would need to change some habits when we get system installed.

More focused on self sufficiency Vs shorter payback time.

With a 7 or 8 Kw system, what's the biggest battery I could get (e.g. 10Kw)? Or is there a ratio limit?

Thanks 👍

I’ve no immersion heater. The developer never put one in. My water is heated via the oil burner. Never actually did any calculations on what it costs to heat the water. We only really heat water during the winter when the heating is on for the house and use the electric shower during summer months when we don’t need heat. During winter we heat the water for about two hours a day (in it’s own zone) and use the power shower. Wouldn’t have a clue how to calculate what it costs us for all that with oil. Can’t imagine it’s an awful lot.

The eddi and immersion can always be added at a later date anyway, I hope.

off topic a little now, sorry…how reliable are these systems? Was chatting an electrician (who’s related to me but doesn’t do solar) about solar and they made a good point. If something breaks on me here in Carlow, I can imagine it’s not great for a company in Cork, Sligo or up north to make a day trip here to fix. For support, should I be looking more towards local companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

In my experience with oil or even gas boilers... Good installers are not always good repair people and vice versa. To assume that only the original installer can fix a system when it breaks would be very limiting. It remains to be seen if a reliable (and local) service industry springs up for solar.

The eddi and immersion can always be added at a later date anyway, I hope.

Very ease to install, its just a fancy switch no more no less.

On the other note, the setups are very reliable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Theres very little to go wrong once its up and running. Ive only ever had to call my installer to come put up more panels! (Done my dads first then mine).

Heating water:

An immersion heats the water directly, as a pure resistive load, at whatever the power rating of the immersion is, Eg 3kw. that will use 3kW of electricity. at whatever your unit rate is.

Heating water from gas is about 5-6c per kW of heat in, Oil is a bit more recently, pushing the 8-10c/kw. - Is that much help?

Immersions arent that hard to install, although I am not 100% sure if all hot water tanks have the port for an immersion, In that case a willis (external) immersion can be fitted. The eddi is just fine control of the immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bigger the better. You'll never regret getting too many panels, you may regret getting too few.

True, local may be better to an extent. My installer was in Enniskillen and its a fair old trek to Donegal but he did come up twice to add another battery and to adjust the CT settings. But yeah if you're in Cork and something needs tweaked it's not going to be easy to get someone from that distance to get down in a hurry.

Shop around, get lots of quotes and post them here so we can weed out the scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MayoMagic

Hi you mentioned that you are availing of the newer grant system (pre-2011 rule scrapped), did the supplier say how long you will have to wait for this to kick in? I have an installation booked (didnt qualify for grant wen I booked) but now considering delaying it until I can get the grant now that the rule is changed.

I contacted SEAI today asking and they didn't have an answer, hopefully tomorrow they will have an update to when it is changing.

They didn’t give a timeframe I’m afraid, just a “we can get that for you”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 MayoMagic

Cheers, I'll update if I get anything back from SEAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I don't qualify for a grant, unless the pre-2011 goes away.

First quote in today as follows:

16 panel setup @5.5KW

5KW HYBRID INVERTER (SOLIS)

5KW BATTERY (PURE DRIVE) 

EDDIE WATER DIVERTER.

WIFI dongle

PRICE 10900 EUROS.

Optimizers extra as required @80 a pop - is this one per panel so potentially another 1280?

Question; is there any sense in leaving out the battery and installing the hybrid inverter, and then source the battery myself - is it as simple as just plugging it into the inverter?

Have requested some more quotes also.

Last 12 months total energy bills was 1170 euro (heatpump, nightrate), so with this install it's looking at around 18 years payback time if I can save 50% of the annual cost per year which seems ludicrous, almost far better to dump it into the mortgage!

Not a bad quote that, not bad at all.....especially since you'll be able to qualify for the grant. I'd drop SEAI a mail and see what they say. It was announced in the budget, so it should be there now as the budget was signed into law. It's the MSS scheme here.....down about half way.

gov.ie - Micro-generation (www.gov.ie)

Optimizers: Depends on the how many panels are being shaded. If you have all your panels located in one big string, and (say) 6 of them at the end have shading, then you would separate off the 6 into a separate string and have optimizers for those. But really it just .....depends on the situation. Can't give you a definitive answer. Do you definitely think you need them?

Thanks for the feedback - I thought it was pretty high to be honest, esp given the likely payback period. If as you say the grant comes into play then it makes it more attractive for sure.

Re the optimizers, I dunno - there are some trees nearby which would likely shade some of the roof, but I guess it depends on how the panels are layed out and what the actual shading is. Are they vital to install? they're deciduous so bare in winter when they would be most likely to shade compared to summer.

Any thoughts on doing the battery install DIY with everything else done by installer? much in the way of savings to be made there?

Optimizers: Hard to say without seeing it I reckon. Depends on so many things are you can imagine, where the trees are in relation to the panels, the orientation of the panels, etc Some people just put up with the loss of production in some scenarios. For example, maybe they cast a shadow on the panels from 4-6pm but it's only from March-April and again in Aug-Sept when the sun is in that part of the sky and at other times of the year it's clear and you don't need them. So people forgo it.

Then against that, you might have shadows every day from 2pm onwards in which case you need them. It's hard know, but the installers will guide you. Generally they aren't pricks about it - trying to sell you something you don't need.

Battery. There are more experienced DIY battery gurus on the thread than I, but the general strategy that people recommend is get a small (say 2.4kWhr) battery. This entitles you to the €600 grant (which isn't going away btw) and then sell the battery and use the money to fund a larger (say) 10Kwhr DIY battery.

One thing to factor in is your mortgage. If you get a BER of B2 or better you could get a green mortgage with better rates. If you include that then the payback will im hugely.

This is what I did, went from a 3.6% to 2.15% mortgage.

Thanks, already at A3 though, new build 3.5 years ago.

@kenmc You have the perfect opportunity right now to access shading. Right now will be your worst case scenario surely.

However, while a tree may be leafless, ANY shading on the panels will kill the output at that time for that entire string.

I'm glad to seen someone being realistic about their potential savings, and I don't believe that you are being over-cautious either. Some people are deluded.

Consider a separate Storage Inverter for a battery setup later, rather than the hybrid inverter. Be interesting to see the effect on the pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

If your pay back exceeds 10-11 years I would not do it. Does that payment period assume an EV (electric vehicle) at any point?

18 years- you would be far better off hedging bets and waiting to see if technology evolves or prices reduce. In the meantime put the money into the mortgage or pension.

😎

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Mine is on track for under 10 yrs.. I put a whole 50 euro worth of electric into the car from solar... Doesn't help that the car isn't home during the week.. solution! 2 evs 😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement