Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools to close again.. Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Majority of teachers want to return as online teaching is not an adequate replacement for time in the classroom. The unions are an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Same boat as your self here!

Special schools are ideally set up to cope with this they should be allowed to return!

Most children in special schools have very little social contact outside of their school day its a crime if these schools remain shut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

I think what the unions are asking for is 1/3 of students in Thursday and then see. I just wish they could consolidate the message that this is about teacher shortages and not a fear of the big bad covid.

Online teaching for me was a lot more work, with a much worse outcome… and that was for the kids who did turn up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Definitely would prefer to be back in the classroom with a full cohort of students. Bringing back Junior and Leaving Certs on Thursday will actually be much harder for teachers than brining back everyone...there will be an expectation to teach those classes in school, supervise for absent colleagues (fair enough) AND provide online tuition to those groups at home.

The problem is that there won't be a full cohort of students. Coming up to Christmas we had student absenteeism of about 25%. None of these students at home were being provided ANY type of education...this percentage will surely be higher over the next few weeks.

I'm not strongly campaigning for either scenario but the situation is so far from being black or white. Everyone will of course be beating the drum that suits them. The ISSU are coming out now and supporting a staggered return, the cynic in me would venture that this is part of a campaign to get further adjustments to papers/ calculated grades (again fair enough). Parents want the children in school for many reasons, many (maybe most) realise that for their mental health it is the place for them to be with online learning a poor replacement for in class teaching. Many also NEED the schools to be open for childcare (again fair enough). A small percentage of teachers would love to return to online learning and do very little. A percentage of students would love an extension to the Christmas holidays and won't engage in any online learning...

Not sure what point I'm trying to put really other than I suppose you can get upset at those in the black and white sections of the argument. Some of the abuse to teachers, the unions etc just seems ill informed, not helped by a union that can't articulate (or don't know) what they are fighting for really.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Have you seen the Facebook page "Alerting parents of outbreaks in schools Ireland"? Almost all of the parents & teachers posting there would seem to have the exact opposite opinion of the parents & teachers posting here.

Strange!!

Has anyone watched the VFT webinar?

Im watching it at the minute and I find it bizarre… a woman on to talk about statistics, but giving anecdotal evidence, and now talk of how omicron is not more transmissible, we’re just not trying hard enough. I don’t know what they are playing at, and I haven’t even got to Gerry Killeen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Strange Seriously ??? You think all parents and teachers are of a hive mind ??? Or that those who feel the need to track outbreaks in schools are those less concerned about covid or that either platform facebook or boards are representative of the vast majority of teachers and parents ? Perfectly logical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No I haven't. A page such as that sounds like fear-mongering if I'm being honest. I actually know few teachers who are on Facebook.

You seem to have misunderstood my post.

I am not surprised at all that social media forums are likely to turn into echo chambers. The nature of Boards, Facebook etc is that people can find whatever opinions they agree with (however extreme or ridiculous), and exclude, berate and be hostile to alternative opinions or others who disagree with that particular herd mentality. Just take a look at some of the threads here for proof of the way echo chambers are established and maintained on boards/Facebook/Twitter etc.

Hope that clarifies?

Post edited by teachinggal123 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0104/1269707-covid-schools/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭combat14

"However, the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) will meet formally on Thursday to review the latest data on the virus.

It is unclear if new restrictions will be recommend after this meeting or if the Government will impose them this week if they are advised."

looks like tony is doing a favour for govt while the rest of nephet still on their xmas holidays the clowns on the street knows the country is riddled with covid at the moment

I would imagine the members of nphet are busy in their day jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So if the hse thinks its safe to open the schools, then why do we need to vaccinate the kids?

Why did us adults get boosters if we dont need them, as if its safe in a school, its safe anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I got my booster but you have to wonder where the hse is coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Elliejo

Now that schools are deemed so safe, I presume the OTs and S&LT will be back into the Special Classes and Special Schools also. After all if it is safe for pupils and staff there is no excuse for them not to attend in person. The lack of these in-person services is disgraceful. Not that a perhaps, if lucky, once a year brief visit was doing these vulnerable children much good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

This comment has come up a few times.

Its one union that looked for a closure and as usual its the ASTI that fails to read the room.

What the TUI said makes perfect sense. If a school does not physically have enough staff to open then they need to be able to close as opposed to a blanket closure across the country. Look at the train service today and the airlines for the past two weeks internationally. If you haven't got the bodies you cant provide the service.

The biggest challenge will be for primary schools as their students are not yet vaxxed and only half of them wear masks. They also have a greater challenge in having subs unlike secondary with the S&S system along with the new additional substitution scheme which can pick up a lot of the slack..

We are not in the same territory as 12 months ago. We have a less severe strain, combined with a highly vaxxed school community at second level. We need to keep the schools open IF POSSIBLE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Sorry, you are saying that the ASTI looked for "closure" of schools. Can you provide a link for this please?

Everything I have read suggests that they looked for a delayed (until Monday) and staggered start. (Same as the Parents Union and Students Union as it happens) I have not read about them suggesting closure. If you could put a link it'd be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You'd be living in a fairy world if you think all schools will open Thursday. Staff will either be positive or in isolation or awaiting testing.

It's going to be very ad hoc for next few weeks. Some days in class, some days online.

Situation will vary from school to school.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

What’s the difference between a “closure” and a “delayed opening”? Same thing surely???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Not opening the schools for two days is a closure.

The staggered return is a closure for many more students.

"However, given the very high and rising incidence of Covid-19 across all age groups in the community, it is inevitable that children will pick up this infection from household contacts in the days and weeks ahead.

"We also know, as a result, that there will be cases and outbreaks in schools and childcare settings."

i.e. schools are safe everywhere else is dangerous mantra again!

Scarlet for you trying to compare the couple of extra days (as was announced initially last year) as comparable to the time out of school in 2020 and 2021. It's an anonymous forum. You can't really lose face. A straight answer would have been fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What's really telling is that the meeting all these officials had today was done remotely 🤦 what a **** show, not a single plan or additional measure put in place compared to before Christmas.

That’s not what he was trying to compare - I suspect you know that and are just scrambling now that your initial claim has been challenged.

Yeah, even for the optics they could have had it in person. The ASTI looked for the review of the schools that was promised would take place over the break. I'd say the Minister cringed when that piece of imaginary work was looked for but seems to have dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I propose turning schools into pubs at 8pm. Since you know, magic safe spaces.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement

Further meeting to take place tomorrow apparently......

TUI statement following meeting with Department of Education – further meeting required on key issues

At a meeting with the Minister for Education, Department of Education representatives and public health representatives today, the TUI and other stakeholders were informed that, in public health terms, there was no rationale to delay the re-opening of schools. 

Because the meeting did not engage on the operational details that may need to be applied from Thursday, the TUI insisted on the need for a further meeting, which will take place tomorrow. In this regard, the union had earlier insisted that schools must have flexibility on how they re-open based on their particular circumstances. The TUI also made clear that given the significant concern around the Omicron variant, the operation of schools must be kept under constant review. 

The union was informed that a detailed document will issue providing clarity on isolation periods and the use of antigen tests along with the familiar PCR testing system. 

It was also confirmed at the meeting that teachers will continue to follow the standard testing, tracing and isolating regime that applies to society generally. 

A review of the standard of masks to be utilised in education settings will also be undertaken given the transmissibility of the Omicron variant. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I work in a large secondary school just across the border. We were back today for staff day, pupils in tomorrow. There were quite a few absences, but the hope is that we will be able to stay open as normal.

I don't think schools are particularly safe but the benefit of continued education outweighs the risk at this stage.

Obviously only time will tell how this term will progress with likely high infection rates in both staff and pupils.

I have two kids one doing leaving cert this year another in TY for their sake I really think schools should remain open if at all possible. I don't think delaying would have any significant help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I heard a rumour that Novak Djokovic secretly moved into one 6 months ago 🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Can I asked who/what this parents union is please. Can you post a link to them. Sorry if I missed it previously.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

So the Dàil can resume also seeing that schools are safe. I’m sure they can easily social distance and no doubt have a few Hepa Filters lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭noplacehere

My sons preschool is closed due to staffing issues until Monday.

The NCSE cancelled our school training day for the 6th of January back around the 16th of December due to rising covid cases. So we can’t have training due to the risk but we can be open

it’s the two faced absolute lying crap that gets me. Just god damn acknowledge they aren’t safe environments

Acknowledge it’s rampant in the community and thus will be in schools and that omicron is multiples times more infectious than delta. Admit that they’ve done nothing to make it safer because they can’t and because school is important.

Id have far more respect for them for that. And Im including the DES, Government, NPHET and the unions in that.

I’ve surgery coming up that will be delayed 7 weeks if I get it. So kindly **** off covid until I get surgery. I’ll be back to sitting in my car N95’s, sanitising like a loon and staying at the board for the next two months. Oh and crossing fingers. I’m going to get cramp I’ll have to cross them so hard with omicron in the buildings

What a lovely click bait headline.

where exactly are any parents group quoted in the article?

Apologies if I’ve missed it......

No offence, but do you know what a Parent's Association is?

Edit: Ah, maybe the "represents 47% of post-primary schools" bit is throwing you? This just means that the National Parent's Association (which is an association made up of parents) consists of parents who have children in ETB schools, which make up 47% of secondary schools.

The association are the parents.

• Advertisement

Straight from the horses mouth as they say

Apparently they represent 47% of post primary schools - a fairly substantial cohort tbf.

As did the ISSU

Who feel the fight is not over

As did one representative body for early child care. ( rep 1400 early childcare providers)

Ok. A bit clearer who they are.

However I think it’s rather disingenuous to say that this group are speaking for all parents of the schools(the 47%) they are associated with. I’d argue that most of the parents in these schools have even heard of such an “umbrella “ group.

How are they chosen?

Were all of the parents of the pupils of these schools asked what there view was? Were they balloted?

Again apologies if I’m way off here or missing something obvious.

fight not over yet TUI meeting govt tomorrow to hear of so called "operational" details for reopening

everything could change next week too

Parents are aware of the parent's association in their school in the same way that people are aware of who their local counsellors are, if that makes sense.

You (I don't mean you personally) have to take an interest and make an effort to be informed, but the info is there, it isn't hidden.

Even if you are not on the PA, you can always attend their AGMs. If a parent who has children in an ETB school and is on the PA or is a regular attender of their PA's AGMS, then they would know about the ETB's National PA.

But yeah, you are right, most of the parents in these schools probably don't know about them.

I'm not a parent, so I can't say if parents were asked for their views on it, but I am a teacher and my union never asked my view on reopenings, yet the headlines still claim that I don't want to go back to work.

Just like it’s disingenuous to say that the unions speak for all teachers - there are 3 different unions who have different membership and who at that do not represent all their members views - yet people insist they do quite vocally.

In relation to ETB national parents association no offence but don’t know and don’t care - google may help you there.

Sorry, just quoting you again to point out that I edited my response above to include two extra sentences that actually answer the question you asked!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, have the jist of them now.

I just find it odd that people/publications reference them as if they speak for all parents. On their website they say, and I quote

“Consult with BOM, Students, Parents, ETB Staff and other ETB’s where appropriate”

I would class this situation as extremely appropriate, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Well, there is a bit of a difference with being a dues paying member of ASTI/TUI/INTO, in that sense the union represents you. You joined it and allow it to represent you. I would imagine most parents have never even heard of whatever organisation that NPA is.

That is not correct at all. We join the union and let them represent us, in consultation with us. I check into a hospital and sign a consent form to undergo a medical procedure. Does that mean the surgeon can take what he likes while he's in there?

The ETB NPA being suggested as representing of all parents is every bit as disingenuous as the TUI/ASTI being suggested as representing all of teachers.

Teachers and parents - in the main - actually want the same thing here.

God yes, completely agree that the unions views and teachers views are not exactly aligned on this one. I know a lot of teachers and none of them seem to have a problem going back.

I suppose I always had the suspicion that the unions had another agenda, similar to the feeling I’m starting to get with this Parents group thingy.

Anyway sorry for dragging things offside, I genuinely wish you all well in this.

Thanks for the info.

My union did not consult me re reopening at all - my union also didn’t put out a statement seeking a delayed reopening and a staggered return - yet the consensus apparently is that I don’t want to go back to work and my union wants to keep schools closed. Go figure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement