Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

If they don't have PCR tests they need to find a way around that. An additional week of down time because the government doesn't have its **** together is unacceptable.

"Mild" is more from a doctor's perspective, meaning you don't need hospital treatment. You can still feel like a bag of shite with mild illness.

Get better soon.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why does your employer use the date of your PCR result as start of isolation?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That was the policy we agreed at the start of this- -date of pcr result was the start of isolation if it was positive - it was the easiest way to ensure everyone was on the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes I noticed the same just in the local shop, was barely any bread when the shelves are usually full.

I don't think people realise how many people are out of work with isolation guidelines.

We have had probably 300,000 cases in the past week and each with at least 2 or 3 close contacts.

That is probably closing in on 1 million people that are isolating and out of work.

These people deliver to shops so it no surprise that we will see shortages in shops and smaller shops closing with not enough staff available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

Your obviously at the age where you can’t even remember school.

I can assure you my memory of school is fresh. The ones that want to learn will continue to do so and the ones that don’t, won’t.

Having ‘free classes’ is nothing new. The odd time in my school they were un supervised. The ones that wanted to learn would catch up on homework and study, and the others would usually feck off for some lunch. Every school will be slightly different of course but a class having one or two teachers absent out of 7 or 8 subject’s isn’t the end of the world in the short term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

Tony clearly calling the shots. Good news I suppose but there needs to be a path to ending all restrictions soon.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/dr-holohan-tells-taoiseach-no-need-for-new-restrictions-this-week-as-path-cleared-for-re-opening-of-schools-41208351.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tuesday-Thursday are the traditional big delivery days for a lot of supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I’d rather not name the actual store, but it’s a large one in Clonmel.

Today was the first day I was out and about in a week as I was a close contact. Thankfully, we had plenty antigens in and were able to keep an eye on things. My OH was off work until today anyway and he was commenting on the number of shops he passed on his way to work with amended/reduced hours on their doors.

Also, as you say, the latest variant is weird. Most have only mild symptoms, while others are floored. Doesn’t seem to matter whether vaccinated or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Utter nonsense. The AIER clearly sponsoner and promoted the GBD and you have been attempting to validate some of their published rubbish on this virus as justification. Even now are attempting to do so with their assertion "that after 70 days the coronavirus declined to almost zero - no matter where it strikes" was anything other than rubbish. If case number had declined anywhere to almost zero and remained so from when any country experienced its first case after 70 days then they may have had a point. Facts are that when AIER published that article it was demonstrably untrue.

For the two countries in Europe that initially tinkered with the propsals contained in the GBD. The U.Ks first case was Feb.14. 70 days later that had risen to 172,323. Day 71 cases rose by a further 2,068. Sween, first case Apr 16. 70 days later 47,733. Following day 51,387. You can make of that tinkering with what was proposed in the GBD what you wish, but I would look on it as more than sheer coincidence that both have multiple deaths when compared to their neighbours who did not go that route.

What I personally feel about the GBD and AIER is irrelevant. What the GBD proposed had already been attempted and failed resulting in unnecessary deaths, and the AIER have a history of publishing baseless rubbish where scientific evidence and fact have show to be nothing other than attempts at propaganda. Clear examples in that article where they cite not only the 70 day nonsense, but the John Ioannidis Santa Clara County study as well. A study long debunked, but no retraction that I have seen.

Pleasant and all as it has been interacting with you I`m not really going to miss it. I`m sure I can find a more productive use for my time than pointing out your misconceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

As long as we have a need for positive cases to isolate it will be a requirement for some time to come. Schools opening on Thursday is going to drive our cases even more nuts so expect more of this

Unless we reduce or do away with the isolation requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yes but unsupervised free classes are an issue!

I mean what do ye think happens to a school where a pupil picks up an injury of some sort in an unsupervised classroom? What sort of field day would insurance companies have with that nevermind having to explain to mammy or daddy.

You obviously forget what 30 teenage boys unsupervised in a class room for 5 minutes never mind an hour might actually get up to!

I can well remember secondary school, it wasnt like anything you describe where unsupervised teenagers just sat and caught up with homework or study when left unsupervised or disappeared for lunch at 10am if that’s when the free class was.

And where i went wasnt even considered one of the rougher schools! Or maybe it was by the sounds of things!! I should have went where you did by the sounds of things 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's worth being aware that the Delta variant has'nt done a Gerry (Adams) on it ...ie: It has'nt gone away.

It is quite possible that in that household the OP was Delta + whilst the remainder were Omicron.

As for the antigen tests,perhaps sticking them up on Done Deal might be the best thing at this stage 😉

Large numbers of people have taken to social media in recent days to say their positive result using the Genrui test was not confirmed when they went for a PCR test.

Paediatrician Dr Niamh Lynch said she received “hundreds” of messages when she raised the issue on her Instagram account.

She said it appears there have been “lots” of false positives with these test kits, and warned this could have “major implications” now that antigen kits have a greater role in the testing system.

There are many in Ireland who have gone batshytt crazie into the notion of testing,many could now be regarded as "serial testers" by now,as they stuff swabs in every orifice in the hope of a result.

What is far more serious now,is the collapse of self-confidence in otherwise normal folks....😓

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

surely if u explain the situation that no pcr is available they will understand

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

Yes and South African doctors were screaming this in early December.

Even now we see some media outlets still saying "It's uncertain if omicold is less severe".

They are hanging on to the fear, they know the game is up, but I expect they will be desperately looking for the next variant to be "uncertain" over...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Serious question, imagine back in late 2019/early 2020 when this was coming out, imagine if that strain was Omicron - would we have seen the same response ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭walus

The question to ask really is how many of those 5,912 would have died anyway regardless of covid?

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd say 50 Billion won't even scratch the surface when it's all added up in years to come.

I've wondered how much each vaccine shot costing, not including medical staff, centre's etc, it must be horrendously expensive .

Interesting report from the UK today stating 6 monthly vaccination completely unsustainable.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Would it even have been noticed if it was Omicron at the start?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's some flip-flop on the part of the established Western Media for sure.

You can be very sure that,had Omicron been MORE dangerous they would have been belting South Africa at every opportunity.

Yet,right from the get-go when Dr Coeteze was calling it on Omicron,the learned western media,sniffed and insinuated that the South African Health System was suss,the South Africans themselves were suss,and even further along the racist track referenced the AID's incidence in that Republic..anything except accept that the S.A. medical people were actually calling it correctly,and appeared more in-tune with their patients than our "professionals".

Begrudgery,does'nt even begin to describe it !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Has anyone heard from Beechwoodspark? I wonder did the sister get him in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

The CSO have done some modelling: Analysis of death notices for the period beginning October 2019 and ending September 2020 provides us with an excess mortality range of 882 - 1,326. Further analysis was carried out to estimate the excess mortality for the 12-month period January - December 2020 provides a range of 283 and 637. This helps demonstrate the difference in choosing a different time period and the impact that this has on excess mortality estimation.

so there are clearly more people dead that we would have expected there to be, not all the numbers are in yet but it’s looking like more than 1000 excess deaths.

however that doesn’t really answers the question on how many would still be alive. In the period reported we know 92% of deaths with Covid were in the over 65 age group. We also see a steep reduction in work place and traffic accident mortality. CSO also identity 88% of Covid deaths had a Co morbidity. Also we know coroners disagreed on how to report Covid deaths so there are discrepancies there too.

truth is we’ll never really know, but the data points to Covid deaths being heavily correlated with Co morbidities, people without a serious underlying condition don’t appear to have died in large numbers.

To quote the CSO again:

In almost 88% of deaths there was an underlying condition, the median age of these deaths was 83

the CSO have released a series of 38 reports, so we really need them to do a summary report from the beginning until today.

but to be honest there is so much data there, you will find a quote to fit any agenda here:

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/health/covid-19deathsandcasesstatistics/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

While Israel are saying yay the 4th booster creates 5 times the antibody levels.

I have no medical knowledge whatsoever and I wonder what a doctors opinion would be on keeping antibodies for any virus artificially high for months or years. Is that not risky all by itself? I didnt think that's how our immune systems work, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

That is the piece of string question that nobody knows the answer to.

What we do know from Eurostat, is the excess deaths for 2020 for each month of the year for each EU country. That shows where the vast majority of those deaths occurred in tandem with the months where there were high incidents of Covid. Other than Covid I would not see where anything else during those months was the cause of excess deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why can't we have such positivity here ?

God knows when we will feel safe to order these. Suppose the leaders will have to get permission first

I'm no medical expert either but I'm perplexed as to when booster requirements are going to end. Its alarming to see Israel proceeding with a 4th dose, I'm not questioning the medical decisions behind this but it hardly inspires confidence.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why do they need to end?

I get a flu jab every year, getting a covid jab every year as well would be no big thing. I'm assuming that I'll be getting a covid jab annually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

With the high percentage of vaccinated and the reports that this is not more than a flu/cold, I still don't see this excessive morbidity in the search for a test (antigen or pcr) that has been proven to be quite inaccurate anyway. It's like a lot of people are proud to say "I got covid without knowing I had it and I survived" : that should actually be an incentive to get out of this charade as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

With all do respect I don't get a flu Jab every year, infact , I've never had one , this is not flu virus , perhaps you didn't get the memo 🙄

Advertisement