Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Resident Firearms Certificate

Options
  • 04-01-2022 7:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have been trolling around online to try and find some info on the Irish firearms licensing in relation to visitors/Irish citizens moving home to permanently reside in Ireland.

I currently have a UK Firearms & Shotgun Certificate and hold both rifles & shotguns. I know people have to be resident in Ireland for a minimum of 6 months before applying for the relevant license’s, but in the mean time can anyone tell me whether or not I can apply for a Non-Resident permit from the UK, return home with the firearms and then apply for a resident license after 6 months ? In other words can I take my guns home and use the non resident permit to bridge the initial 6 month gap to getting a full resident license ?

Can anyone give me any info on what has been done in the past or how others have done it.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated,

Theirishman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

As a non resident you can apply for a visitors permit/ temp permit to the DOJ.

You can not transfer a firearm permit from any other country as their licence system will be different.

You best bet is to have your firearms sent to a RFD here in ROI for storage and after 6 months you can commence your firearm application process.

You will need a safe and shooting permission and could be asked to do a proficience course for this durastiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

I have a friend who very innocently got into a bit of a mess over something quite similar to this a few years ago. Make sure any paperwork shows your actual place of permanent residence. I'd go with the advice above and talk to an RFD here about storage until you can organise the certificates here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Theirishman - In other words can I take my guns home and use the non resident permit to bridge the initial 6 month gap to getting a full resident license ?

Technically, yes.

The non-resident firearm certificate is for one year. You apply for it a minimum of 6 weeks prior to traveling and then its valid for one year from the date of issue. You move over within, say, a week of getting it with your firearms. You wait 6 months then apply for an Irish firearm certificate. Even taking a while it could be done/issued within the 6 months and now you have Irish certificates for the firearms and you're set.

One issue would be the guns themselves. I'm not sure if you would have to legally and permanently import them prior to licensing and if so you need to wait until such a time as they can be imported to license them AFTER the 6 months, if you follow me. In other words would you need to wait the minimum 6 months, then import, then license? The import may go slower if you're here and applying to the UK police to export them as well as the Irish Gardaí to import not to mention the hurdle of explaining the guns are already out of the UK and in Ireland on a visitors certificate.

Its a lot of paperwork and clock watching but technically it could be done.

The only drawback would be if the applications were refused. You then have to do one of two things:

• Send the guns back to the UK (export back if you've already imported)
    • Store them while you legally and permanently import them into Ireland and either try again to license them or sell them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Theirishman

I’ll have a think about it, I’ll get in touch with the local super and see what he says.. it might be easier just to leave the guns in storage in the uk and wait out my six months.

Thanks for the feedback !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you have access to shooting rights on any land? If you do it would appear that non-resident process that Cass outlined could apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Theirishman

Yes I have my uncles Farm to shoot over so getting permission won’t be an issue. I also have more farming relatives close by if I need to get the acres up

Advertisement