Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

That will work to a point but we are dealing with an potentially unprecedented level of both staff and pupil absenteeism. You can only replan so much.

At some point it becomes an intractable problem beyond which the predictability of fully remote may be better as staff or pupils isolating or restricting contacts wouldn't effect their ability to take part in a lesson.

There may be some fixed infrastructure problems e.g. staff or student access to reliable broadband or suitable devices but being fixed, fixed solutions can be sought as opposed to the moving target of what staff are in today, have we enough staff / subs to supervise all classes, etc... and only figuring out on the day that there just aren't enough staff / subs to go around.

I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were asking if I knew how schools worked.

It's going to be something of a roller coaster for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anything4883

It seems the people that think remote schooling works dont have children or clearly doesnt know what's best for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

Spoke to a primary school teacher recently, Dublin based said they have no issues getting subs now that student teachers can do it.

I delighted school opening lots of children have not seen other children outside family since school closed for Christmas.

Children are most fed up with covid at this stage. Let them into school no doubt it will be yoyo students& staff in and out for few weeks.

It's not a question of what's best but what's best under the circumstances. The younger the children the greater the compromise.

Luckily all my children were 2nd and 3rd level so the question of child care / home teaching / working at the same time didn't arise.

3rd level actually found it better. Either pre- recorded or live lectures which were recorded and also downloadable from Moodle later could be rewatched if they wanted to go over a particular point or later for revision. There's not much one to one interaction in a lecture hall with 100+ students in it anyway.

2nd level depended on their motivation. Luckily mine were motivated and attendance to online classes was good but they did need more help with explanations and homework than they would have when school was in person.

Luckily I'm past the primary school children age, that would have been a whole different kettle of fish. I don't envy anyone who was trying to home school one or more primary school children especially if they either had to work from home also or take leave or give up work because they had no alternative childcare .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Well if you think Norma Batty is a great minister for education, you have to be one of her Kerry voters. What has she done for education or schools and children with special needs since she has being in office. Feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'm not sure how many medical vulnerable kida have ended up in hospital from Covid though. Is it amy different to them catching a cold or flu. I wouldnt think its an issue to be honest.

Id second it. She is one of the few who has stood up firmly to the unions. Hasnt got everything right but has done a decent job imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Would you believe my daughter nearly went to her appointment on the wrong date! Luckily she checked just before she left the house! I think she only got the appointment because she’s working in a health care setting. It’s actually for today!

It’ll be a mad few weeks, and we’ll certainly be under pressure for a while. But that’s life. We won’t be the only sector under pressure.

It’ll be messy with absences and staff shortages. But it has been before with the shortage of subs. We got through it. Some schools will find it hard, classes, years and even schools might be sent home at some point. But they’ll come back, and it’ll be fine. The answer to disruption and pressure isn’t to close down.

I think some union reps and spokespeople have realised tonight they did more bad than good with their staggering plea for staggered returns. The only people seemingly wanting schools to close seem to be a few within the unions, and a screaming mob of ISAG influenced moaners on Twitter and Facebook. If unions are now pandering to the shouty mob then they’ve backed the wrong horse.

In the real world, scientists, public health, children’s advocates, politicians - government and opposition, teachers and kids just want schools to reopen as normal.

And when they speak of ‘measures’. What measures? Not much is going to stop an airborne virus that will probably infect a good percentage of the population in the next few weeks, causing not much more than a bad head cold for a high percentage. Anyone at risk should be vaccinated and boosted if wanted. Distancing, pods, masks under kids noses, staggered starts all seem fairly pointless given the science. Tracing isn’t going to be reintroduced for kids and teachers when the noises are that isolation times and close contact rules in general will be eased. Filters would be useful, but by the time they’d even be supplied, there’s a good chance the wave has passed and they won’t be needed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Maybe it's already been said, but what happens with teacher absences and leaving cert kids? Surely the school with teacher absences is at a disadvantage to the school that have less missing teachers at LC level?

Is it tough?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Only fair for the current 6th year thst the hybrid exam/predicted grades model for the LC is used again this year.

Needs to be announced ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If you equate doing a good job to doing sweet fcuk all, sticking one's head in the sand and intoning the mantra of "schools are safe" ad nauseam without any sort of actual reasoning/data as to how they can possibly be, then yes Norma Foley has done a top notch job 👍 she's also very good at hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

100% but we all know it will be left until after Easter until the department announce it if they do, completely unfair on 6th years yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Norma saying schools are in a controlled environment. What’s the difference between a school and pub or anywhere else that makes it safer.

Department there to help. Same department who told schools to find your own filters etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Pubs are open, they are regarded as safe enough to keep open, like schools. There would be a lot less alcohol consumed in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The difference between a school and a pub is that schools are totally necessary and vital for our childrens well being and education .Pubs are not . So we have to live with the risk of schools and try to find a way .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Not a massive fan of Norma Foley but she's screwed here. Everyone knows that there will be a lot of instances of classes being sent home because of covid.

This decision will be judged against a standard that doesn't exist (i.e. that there is some obvious right/perfect answer). There are a couple of choices here - close schools or try and keep them open. Either will result in a shitshow and criticism of the government and Foley particularly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think this is it, this is going to be a problem for a few weeks.It isn't a permanent issue (well, look, our staffing isses appear to be permanent but I don't see anybody lining up to address that).If classes are sent home then look, they are sent home. Honestly think that is better than being subjected to an indefinite online situation, that nobody will put an end date on.

And to follow on from the poster saying online was ok for 3rd and 2nd level, you're right -it was useless for primary.Childcare is a separate thing and thankfully wasn't a problem in our house but actually trying to school a JI and then SI via apps, Zoom, emails and random educational links - just a disaster.The teacher was brilliant but the kids lost all interest after about 2 weeks and it was of very little value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Opening makes a lot more sense for kids and realistically the short term disruption it may bring should not be that onerous. That said, there will be a lot of news stories about School X or Y and their cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Agree with you here - I as a parent accept fully that there will be issues over the next few weeks - that classes may be sent home, that there may be early morning messages not to send your child to school today etc. Most parents will be very understanding of staffing issues in schools - these problems are way better than the problems home schooling young children creates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

That’s not my question. She said it’s a controlled environment. How is it more controlled than other places. They’ve people who aren’t wearing masks, 30 households mixing in some groups.

Why not close the hospitals? Its the highest environment by far with the most mixing coupled with actively bringing infected people in contact with uninfected. Is the single measure that would have greatest impact on "cases"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Pubs are open too, you can go and spend the whole day on Saturday drinking in the pub with friends if you like. Would the school be more controlled than that environment do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Its controlled in that there are procedures in place - these procedures are the best that can be in the circumstances.

Schools are as controlled as factories, supermarkets, restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, hospitals, GPs surgeries etc - nowhere is safe from covid. There are many jobs that are mixing with large numbers of people and in the examples I have given the actual numbers of households mixing is very high.

Personal responsibility plays a huge role in the fight against covid - everyone needs to look at the steps they take to keep themselves safe - masks, hand sanitising, social distancing, taking vitamins, being healthy, hot shower when you get home etc. - no employer can guarantee you will not get covid in your workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I suppose they are equally unsafe but one is a necessity and one isnt .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I can see from my own second class kids that been back in school is better for them. But that does not mean I am happy with how this has been handled. I now have little to no confidence in the government or their ability to follow the science and set clear consistent rules. Their planning is also terrible. 

They put all their eggs in the vaccine basket and that it would get us out of this. The vaccine has prevented a lot of serious illness and saved lives but it hasn’t stopped transmission it’s not the 95% silver bullet they manufactures initially said it was. Even talking into account needing boosters if it was 70 80 % effective it should have cut the R number to point where covid would have tailed off and we’d be out of it now. 

They out and out lied to us when they said schools were safe. We saw in December they were riddled with covid and spreading it fast. That lie will have consequences, when MM is appealing to parents to vaccinate their kids would you trust him when he says the vaccine is safe for kids? It’s to late to vaccinate 5 - 12’s they wouldn’t won’t get their second dose till the middle of February, they’ll be recovered by then. The next few months are going to be hard on kids. 

They didn’t put measures in place is (primary) schools like HEPA filters key they had the money to give us all €100 of our energy bills. 

We are blessed Omicron is mild, what if we had Delta++ variant which we more transmissible and more lethal? Would we be able cope, that is what they should have planned for. We’ve caught a break in Omicron but it’s not safe to say it’s coming to an end.

Post edited by spaceHopper on

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

To be honest this is what parents and students need to be campaigning for not closures. Students are at a completely imbalanced level across the country and currently it’s tough luck if your teacher was out for weeks with covid or sick without any substitution cover available. All papers need an element of choice introduced.

Junior cert is nearly worse off tbh as they’ve been affected now for all three years. They don’t believe us that they’ll have a junior cert (can’t blame them). They’re behind in most of their courses. Teachers who have always been miles ahead have said they’ve never been this far back. Honestly as a teacher I wish they’d just cancel it now in favour of in school assessment so that I can spend the rest of the year targeting skills I know they need for LC instead of working on exam specific material

• Advertisement

Tremendous stuff at last

Unions kicked into touch. No more restrictions from the CMO. Looking like we are eventually throwing off tue shackles and going to let her rip. Onwards and upwards. I'm sure Svare Byrne and variant Kenny are pushing the " the people will die " line. But leave them off. We will be out of this fully for paddys day. A proper freedom day celebration. Lets make a weekend of it!!

Advertisement