Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

need to find out the model number of my mccullough self propelled lawn mower , the only id on it is this ,it starts and cuts out straight away , it probably needs a new gasket but I need to know what to look for first .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

Thats probably a fairly generic Chinese engine, used in a lot of pattern lawnmowers. Does it resemble this?

There's some exploded diagrams here, although clicking on parts listed states "Husqvarna stopped supplying this"

This looks like a better parts list on a pdf.

https://www.mcculloch.com/tdrdownload//pub000074302/doc000127420

I wouldn't think its a head gasket problem though, if it starts then it has sufficient compression. Head gasket leak would be the opposite, very difficult to start but might run once started. It sounds like a fuel problem, just enough to fire for the first few slow revs, but not enough to run, carb bowel runs dry. Check the bowl for dirt, check the float valve, check flow from the tank hose. Also check the crankcase breather hose has not came off, I've just remembered sorting these symptoms on an older McCullogh mower a couple of years ago. Hose was split and loose.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

thanks for that , the boss(wife) bought it a couple of years ago and she went for that one despite the fact that they had one with a honda engine for more or less the same money , anyway its probably the carb all right , I cleaned out the bowl , it was full of muck , but it probably need a full strip down and clean out , i might chance it now that i have the exploded diagram , thanks for the quick help .

If the Boss reads your reply, you might also need one of these to sleep in....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

Hey folks,

Ive a large garden, about 2/3rds of an acre to mow. Relatively flat, just a slight incline on one side. My current ride on is a husqvarna cth172 which I bought if the old owner of the house when we bought it. I've replaced belts, blades, carb, full bag switch, repaired deck and replaced some pulleys and done a full service but it's still a bit contrary from time to time but overall a good mower. It has a kohler courage engine which I believe is 17hp

Anyways I'm thinking of buying a new mower, don't want an automower so was looking in particular at the stiga range. Either a 2084h or 3084h - don't want a geared tractor it has to be hydrostatic that's my main thing

Has anyone any info on the mowers or any recommendations? Even better anyone sell them and take trade ins lol

• Advertisement

You'll sell that old mower for resonable money next season if it's starting and working well, and not falling apart. You'll get a best price on any of the mowers you're thinking about for a straight sale. If you can, do a deal on the new over the new year, then sell your own for cash in spring. It's a big mower, 42" cut, should be worth 500-800 depending on condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

Thanks,

Yeah its a good mower in fairness, the only reason I want to go for a new one is simply because it'll be mine from the word go and I can be sure all maintenance will be done properly and on time. But since getting the Husqvarna I've done alot with it, the old owner had it wrecked. Nothing wrong with it now other than a small hole on the lid of the rear collector

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hi. I’d love some recommendations for a decent key start mower for a relative. They’ve quite a few muscular issues so something without a pull cord is necessary. They’ve a small garden but they won’t entertain the idea of an electric mower & they like the Briggs and Stratton engine. Budget is between 500 and 600 euro. I see woodies have one for 399 but (pro lawn) but I’m unsure about how good that brand is.

The woodies is a generic Hyundai mower afaik, similar to this blue Hyundai HYM510SPE which used to be in a few hardware stores like goodwins, though I've not seen it for a while.

The woodies one won't break the bank, and as long as you keep the battery charged it should function without issue, but if the electrics give issues your stuck if there's no pull cord. It's quite a heavy mower also so quite a bit of effort required when lugging it around corners and obstacles.

This aluminium deck electric start Cobra uses the Briggs and Stratton Instant electric starter with the detachable power tool type battery. https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product/premium-grade-cobra-mx515spbi-20-aluminium-deck-with-briggs-stratton-instart-engine/

It's much more dependable than older fixed battery systems, bring the battery in and stick it on the charger. A bit over your budget though, as is this Stiga electric start with the same B&S engine. https://www.stiga.ie/products/stiga-twinclip-55-seqb-instant-battery-start-twinclip-55seqb.html

These mowers are all too much for a small garden, the ideal solution is surely one of the better cordless mowers on the market, there are some robust models here starting at €399 for 16" cut.

https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product-category/battery-lawnmowers/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Has anyone seen any Black Friday deals on robot lawnmowers? I am looking for something for about 120m2 of a rectangular fenced garden, minimal obstacles or hills, ideally controllable via an app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I see a few people using agrieuro.co.uk or .com preferrably in this thread. Is there a general consensus that these are ok to use? i.e. goods undamaged, delivered relatively quickly, easy to deal with if problems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smithymk11

Hi

I have a 2000 sq metre lawn mostly flat and no tree's beds etc

I have been looking at two mowers a stihl 650 v or a weibang shaft driven model both are around the same money the lawn is new and any mower I have borrowed had been very poor to pick up the thick grass especially if damp .

I was also looking at second hand ride on mowers but nor sure its needed

Any advice on either of the above two mowers would be greatly appreciated

Poor pickup is most likely down to cutting too low when the lawn is overgrown. This is likely to happen if you have to borrow, as you will wait till it's quite high. When you have your own mower, you will be able to mow more frequently, but if it gets overgrown due to bad weather, away on holidays etc, you'll need to mow once at a higher setting to take it down, then go around it again at your preferred height. Tedious enough if your 2000m2/ half acre is all grass. In that respect I'd suggest a wider cut than the 19" 650v, you need a 655c model, or any larger 21 " cut self propelled. The shaft drive Weibang sounds attractive, as some mower self propelled mechanisms, especially with variable speed, are not particularly long lived. This is less an issue on a plain flat unobstructed site. I've had to repair/rebuild replace even the power drive of every mower I've ever owned, usually after only 3 + years of ownership, due to lots if start stop, slopes, trees, beds etc. Shaft drive sounds like a lifetime job.

Consider the models you've viewed, plus the top Stiga 55 svh and mid range Honda models also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smithymk11

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Yes that was indeed the probelm I was borrowing it every 2 weeks and of course trying to cut it as short as I could as we where trying to get other bits done when we first moved in

So this year I am going to but a good mower and cut it regularly

I have looked at the hondas but there around the 1250e mark where the weibang is e850.

I have also looked at the viking/stihl ride on the 17.5 hp model second had but my knowledge is very limited and thought running and repair cost might make it a waste of time with that size of a garden

This Honda is in range of your budget, an extremely robust and reliable mower. Probably it's only shortcoming is the individual wheel height adjustment instead of single lever, but this does have the advantage that the mower stays perfectly flat as the years go by, some single lever systems wear and introduce tilt as they get old. It has a mulch lever, allowing you to quickly change from bagging on light growth to get the benefit of self fertilisation on poorer growing patches.

https://monaghanhire.com/products/honda-izy-hrg-536c9-vkeh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I've a husqvarna cth 174 that I bought new in 2015.

It's hydrostatic which was a godsend for the little bit extra that it cost. Lawn has gotten bigger as I've build my own house before the parents so I'm thinking about changing to something wider and faster.

I saw a stiga 52 inch on done deal, about 6k.

I think i looked at a yellow hustler zero turn when I bought the husky but it was too big at the time.

I'd probably be able to justify the cost if I got a few other large lawns needing cutting here and there, if I got a few hundred over the year it would take the sting out of the cost.

I've van and trailer on the road a good bit already so transport wouldn't be any issue.

Also, has anyone a link to measure the garden size?

Thanks

On a PC;

To measure an area on Google Maps, right-click on the map at your starting point and choose the Measure distance option. Add points around the location's boundary. Once you close the shape by clicking on the starting point, the Google Maps area calculator will automatically process the area of your shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Thanks for that, I found an app, called fields area measure. I've 3500 metres square to mow.

That's about .9 of an acre. If you want a collector mower rather than a commercial zero turn, you won't do better than this top sized Stihl 6127 zl , huge 49" cut, powerful and quiet V twin engine. This mower was formerly the Viking 6127, very robust build quality, large tyres, it used to sell at over €6k, so this price here, €4950 brand new, is a great deal.

Stihl RT 6127 ZL 49" Ride On Mower https://g.co/kgs/HFmzvv

or here in Cavan, €5k

https://donegan.ie/product/stihl-rt-6127-zl

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

Hi. im in the market for a lawnmower and have a budget of 600 ish euros. I want a mower that mulch and bag. I have seen Weibangs in that bracket and an Oleo-mac. Some of the Weibangs come with a Kohler engine or a Loncin engine, while the Oleo-mac comes with an Emak engine.

I know Oleo-mac have a small dealership here but my family have had eleo-mac equipment in the past and found i good.

My query is how reliable are the Loncin or Emak engines and what is parts availaibility like for either in ireland?

• Advertisement

Both engines are produced in China, there's a good chance that most of the parts are pattern or generic, so easily obtained. Loncin (aka LongXin) are a vast Chinese automotive manufacturer, (Is there any other kind?). Emac are a Chinese import export conglomerate, engines could be made anywhere, with any amount of clones. Read their website caption below without laughing. I plomise you won't contain yourself.

Like anything, it's the last stage manufacturer (Weibang etc,) who impose the quality control to their standards for their mowers. Same engine with less tolerance might appear on a cheapo mower in big box shops. Apple make some of their iPhones in India, in what looks little better than female refugee camps, country of origin doesn't dictate quality, only price and profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there's alot of play on my ride on's steering...and it won't lock to the right..what needs to be done??

castelgarden twincut

You can adjust the length of the steering rod that goes to the left hand kingpin crank lever, so that when both wheels are directly forward, the steering wheel is in the centre. However, if you have severe play, you also need to check for play in the 4 small ball joints, two each end of the steering rod and two more each end of the track rod between the wheel kingpins.

Another source of play is the kingpins themselves, especially if the mower has struck a solid surface occasionally. The front axle kingpin bushings and the pressed steel housing can crack and cause the bushings to move out and get loose.

Another source of severe play due to wear is the front axle pivot bolt pin under the engine. The axle steel rotates on this without the benefit of a solid bushing, eventually the axle holes enlarge and the pin gets heavily grooved.

Grab the axle either side and rock it left right. Also grab the front wheel axles and push and pull them fore and aft, see does the wheel move back and forward relative to the chassis. You may have to buy a complete front axle, bolt and spacer, and 4 track rod balljoints, to restore that new feeling. I had to do this a long time ago after the mower was 'joyridden' by a careless young operator, hit a few trees. I got fed up welding the cracks ,they just kept reappearing, and the centre pivot was very worn. This is the best price I can find, about €107 including delivery.

https://eurosmallengineparts.ie/castelgarden-mountfield-stiga-alpina-102-122-front-axle-382034001-3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hi All,

Wonder if i could ask the experts on the forum for some advice on a decent mower for my land as my old one has died and i really need to get something new.

My budget is roughly around 1K max of around 1.5K, the grass area im looking to cut is around 820m2. The surface area itself is a little bit rugged with some dips and uneven ground, part of its also a fence in area which im half thinking of getting a automatic mower for.

Appreciate any advice on what might suit me.

Thanks

Cal

This Honda engined Castelgarden variable speed on sale at €710 will eat the rough stuff,

https://www.toolfix.ie/p/castelgarden-xs55hvw4-21-cut-self-drive-lawnmower/xs55hvw4

then haggle with your remaining €800 for a good robotic machine for the inner circle. You'll never be stuck with both, and if you tame the outer area with the CG, you could let the robot loose on it when its short, light and dry.

Thank you very much, i actually measured wrong missed out on a grass patch, all in its around 1682m2, its a half acre of land the house is on and split up hence my mistake. Its why we also fenced off an area. Would the Honda still be a good recommended machine for it?

Thank you

Cal

It would be perfect, it's recommended area is 2000m2, roughly a half acre, so your grass area is what's left after house and drive of 320m2 are subtracted. It has three features that will help cope with rougher areas, a decent top cut height of 8.5 cm, variable speed to take it slower, and that Honda GCVx 170 engine. My previous gaff was a standard bungalow bliss on a half acre, the Stiga55, an early variant of this mower with a B&S engine was ideal size, good exercise. You'll walk over 3km to mow 1600m2 with a .53m cut. If you want a bigger cut, there are a few 55cm out there, and the huge twin bladed Toro timemaster, but you're better with more power and walking speed to get the job done quicker. You can easily spend 1000-1500 on some heavier semi commercial machines, or premium brand names such as Honda, Stihl, Husqvarna, Weibang etc.

Thank you very much i appreciate the advice, i think i will go with this for now as my last mower was like a 10 year old viking that broke down as i pushed it a bit to hard. I also am not a fan of grass cutting so i dont want to spend a large sum and not do it justice.

I will try and get this mower and a robo mower for the smaller area which will get a good return on it.

Thank you again.

Cal

Apologies, one last query are Weibang any good, only reason i ask is the local town has a place that specialize in them. They also sell the robotic mowers, so i was thinking i could get a deal if they were anyway decent.

• Advertisement

Weibang are highly regarded machines with a full range of domestic, commercial and professional models. They are a Chinese brand, and use Loncin engines, but have earned a reputation for sturdy build and quality. Many models have a shaft driven self propulsion mechanism, which is more robust than the direct belt drive of most domestic mowers and will weather rough handling better. Construction is less elaborate and non plasticy than many Chinese generics you would find in big stores. The quality of the wheels and axles would be superior. Go have a look, this model is a very sturdy all rounder which might last 20 years with care. https://monaghanhire.com/collections/push-lawnmowers/products/weibang-wb506scv-3in1-pro-professional-range

196CC eng8ne should have all the power you need. Definitely do a bit of tyre kicking, literally, in the showroom. I've a small reservation on the advertised cut max height of 7cm, on rougher ground you might need more clearance. I think someone wrote here that this is perhaps a trend or safety directive to try and prevent dopes sticking their foot under the edge. We'll always have them, and they will find a way to lose body parts with machines. Anyway, it can be an issue, it was for me when I replaced the 20 year old Stiga with a Cobra, I had to redrill the deck and reposition the height rack to gain an extra couple of cm clearance. Pay your guy a visit and do the deal.

Advertisement