Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Great post! One semantic observation is that there wasn’t a sharp decrease in traffic accident mortality, road deaths were up in 2020 (in presuming that’s what you mean by traffic accident mortality?)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/road-deaths-rose-in-ireland-despite-drop-in-traffic-during-pandemic-1.4630992

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you don't need a flu jab every year I don't believe you'll need a covid one either.

Once this pandemic is over covid jabs will be the norm on an annual basis for all those people currently recommended to take the flu jab.

People regularly getting vaccinated against something is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I do see your point but sadly there are so many unknowns about Covid and I don't honestly believe , even after two years were any the wiser . The Flu virus to a greater is understood .

I've had my vaccines, had my booster and am pro vaccines but have little confidence in were this is going .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The original person you responded to wasn't talking about vaccines themselves but about vaccine requirements.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

People need to prove infection with a PCR for some sick benefits, isolation time from work, and to register themselves as being permitted to participate in the open parts of society for a limited time with the despot app.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I was speaking with a colleague yesterday. His brother-in-law spent Christmas self-isolating in his bedroom. His kids had to show him their Christmas presents in through the bedroom door and he had Christmas dinner in his bedroom while Skyping the rest of the family.

What an imbecile.

Apparently he's quite proud of his actions and has ben telling everyone back in work his Christmas experience - presumably looking for a pat on the head for being a Covid-hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Israel have no other plan apart from boosters. They also still have 30% hesitancy in Orthodox and Arab Israeli groups and 25% or so of the population is under 14.

Both Pfizer and Moderna claimed much higher increases in antibodies from the first boost, at least 25 times more for Pfizer and 37 times more for Moderna, so 5 times is not a lot compared to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You're quite correct. Our National Debt has risen by over €44bn since the end of 2019.

Back then we were running a surplus - now, not so much.

I would say the cost of this will be closer to €100bn than €50bn when the final bills arrive.

To think what we could have done with this money as a society - education, infrastructure, health could have been transformed. Instead it's been pissed away for the sum total of fcuk all. We have covered politicians arses and that's about it.

We are now one of the most indebted nations on the planet and we are royally fcuked when the next recession hits because we aren't borrowing our way out of it.

I would describe the response to Covid as criminally negligent - but the fact that it has been loudly cheered on by the useful idiots of the electorate throughout, has depressed me the most

This almost Bi Monthly merry go round, back and forth between teaching unions and the Department of Education would be funny, if it wasn't so serious.

With all the predictable huffing and puffing from Teacher Unions over for what must be the 8th time since this pandemic started, John Boyle of the INTO suddenly all nice and cosy and terribly happy and suddenly reassured.

Vox pop of a number of principals just before Norma Foley speaking this morning suggests anything from 10% and 30% of teaching staff will be absent. There's no really idea about how many students won't be returning tomorrow.

Boyle correctly claiming public health officials left the room last September, pretty much no support, no meetings, no input whatsoever.

Foley now thanking everyone, claiming lots of supports in place, she thanked (yet again) all those who Alledgedly helped and of course special praise for her officials.

Apparently there's loads of substitute teachers, Loads of student teachers available, Principals clearly disagree.

Teachers to be issued with medical grade Masks (very reassuring), Minister couldn't confirm when masks will be issued.

The lack Hepa Filter debacle continues.

And of course, Foley answered every question with "we follow public health advice at all times" , I wondered are they the very Public Health officials who left the room last September as claimed by INTO president

Schools thankfully reopening tomorrow, it was never, ever really in doubt, time will tell how it goes.

To surmise, yet again.......

Blaa, Blaa, Blaa, Blaa 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The 8.30 news headlines on Lyric FM was pure comedy.😁

How many times can the word “cases” be fitted into two minutes?

I didn’t hear any ‘news’ other than the word “cases” repeated over and over and over and over .......

They get their news feed via?????, you guessed it RTE 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

End in sight for rules on close contacts who are ‘boosted’ amid review of isolation

this will lead to employers knowing/demanding boosted status by default?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

And countries making boosters mandatory in order to get a QR code as has happened in the EU. As it stands mine will run out in march as i have not 'boostered' myself just like i believe 50% of the vaccinated overall. Just waiting for a better vaccine tackling Omicron if need be. In the meantime my T cells will deal with it. The hype boosters get in the media is unwarranted imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The problem is when do you assume the start of the isolation is.

Is it when I first got symptoms which was around the 30th when I started doing antigen tests (due to no pcrs available) which were all negative up until the 1st positive on the 3rd?

I reckon I would have been positive on the 30th had I gotten a pcr test.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

It is a sneaky way to get people take a booster as they are seen as the panacea to tackle Omicron but it is misleading the public.

As for the unvaccinated a quote from Macron: "No longer will it be possible to have a recent test or a recovery from the coronavirus to qualify for the country's Covid pass".

So, if you have had Covid, even the recent Omicron, you wont be able to participate in anything requiring a QR code.

This kind of mission creep is really frightening.

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

They have lost the plot down under.

It's "Appaling" that he can enter the country.

He's had covid - natural immunity.

He will quarantine

He will have daily tests.

There is guys in Sydney playing the ATP cup that are testing positive and vaccinated - so what difference does it make ?

They really think it's ebola down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

A friend in Melbourne was literally locked up with he family for months on end. I assume many in that position are wondering why their children were locked up but ND gets an exception. Probably not angry with ND rather their own government.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I wouldn't wait around too long listening to an anecdote like that in the office.. Hard not to lose respect for someone when you hear them engaging in theater like that.

The same as those parents seeking advice on how to isolate their 7 year olds for 10 days. I will forever more see them in a completely different light.

• Advertisement

I think your missing the point, Australia Citizens and in particular those in the city the tournament is based have endured some of the strictest, horrendous and prolonged restrictions anywhere in the world, notwithstanding the fact they could barely leave their homes, city or country, some citizens couldn't even get home from abroad for well over a year.

This arrogant P***K is entitled to his stance albeit the coward won't even confirm what that stance is. He's basically given a free pass to compete and enter the country, its extraordinary and I have to say, if I were Australian looking on at this, I'd be mightly pissed off.

It's not Djokovic's problem though is it!? Why all the ire for him?

It's definitely not his problem, he couldn't give a Toss, whilst seperately I think he is a Petulant P***K, my Ire is aimed at the organisers of this Tournament, the decision is entirely motivated by money. Djokovic simply could have opted to stay away. I'm looking at this from not just a Fan's perspective but residents of the city the Tournament is based. What's good for the goose, not always good for the Gander so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Did you even read the article?

Many Australians had previously accused the government of allowing the rich and famous to do as they please while ordinary people remained separated from sick and dying loved ones.

"I think it's a disgrace," Christine Wharton, who lives in Melbourne, where the Australian Open will be held, told ABC.

"We've all done the right thing, we've all gone out and got our jabs and our boosters and we have someone that has come from overseas and all of a sudden he's been exempt and can play and I think it's an absolute disgrace and I won't be watching it."

A&E doctor Stephen Parnis tweeted: "I don't care how good a tennis player he is. If he's refusing to get vaccinated, he shouldn't be allowed in. "If this exemption is true, it sends an appalling message to millions seeking to reduce #COVID19Aus risk to themselves & others."

But their anger should be aimed at the authoritarian locking them down..

Djokovic is almost doing them a service shining a light on the it..

He's dead right..what business of yours is his health?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

His health or indeed his stance of Vacinnes of absolutely no concern to me whatsoever, and yes my Ire is primarily focused on organisers, Local government.

Djokovic's tweet announcing his participation was also very telling of the Man, he starts by saying his just enjoyed the festive season with Loved ones, I'm sure all those locked up, restricted, curtailed in Australia we're thrilled for this arrogant Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

No, he's not dead right IMO, he's looking to enter a country but not abide by that country's rules, and he's getting an exemption to do so - its pretty easy to see why the residents are upset in fairness. Requiring a vaccination to enter a certain country is hardly a new thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,946 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Jaysus, take it handy for a bit there. The aussies have lost the plot completely and most of Europe isn't that much better if you ask me.

He's a fit and healthy individual that I'm sure will be tested continually if the regime allow him in at all. He's probably at more risk flying over there than from this virus anyway.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement