Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the hell do I post an item with a battery out of this country? No courier will touch me.

• 04-01-2022 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I want to return something to Amazon.de. BTW it's not broken, just unwanted.

It is an electronic gadget with a built in battery.

No courier will take it.

I'm at me wits end. It's literally impossible to get it out of the country. It's only a mini projector, not a nuclear device.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

DPD, GLS or ups standard.

All will take batteries.

It's an international Air restriction. So "couriers" or postal services that use aircraft to transport packages will not take them.

DPD GLS and ups standard use sea/road services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Can't get any power banks delivered anymore either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

UPS, DHL and FedEx will all take batteries on their express air services also as they use cargo aircraft. The restriction is for regular passenger flights which An Post would normally use. There are some limitations but any standard consumer electronics batteries should not fall under this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, but not very helpful in this instance........... buy local! :) No problem then with bringing it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Yes, but it requires "special handling" and their most expensive service.

Bog standard road / sea parcel delivery service is what the OP needs. Not "courier" service.

Circa €20 for a 3-4 day service to Germany. insured and signed for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I remember something about your typical "battery" which would be in most consumer electronics, not technically being a battery, but rather a cell and not having to declare there is a battery in the package in this case, but I think it's a grey area so best to be transparent with the shipper.

You can try https://www.parceldirect.ie/

I contacted them before about it and they sent me a battery sticker I had to print out and put on the package, didn't cost any extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,293 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

DHL had no problem delivering some to me back in November.

Any of the couriers can do it. An Post can’t guarantee that your mail won’t go on a passenger plane as cargo, so don’t carry batteries. The couriers have their own freight aircraft.

Contact Amazon.de help desk and they’ll also likely send a UPS label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm struggling with this too;

DPD exclude batteries, according to their restricted items list.

Parcel2Go using TNT exclude batteries, according to their restricted items list

EU Parcel seems to allow batteries when connected to a device, according to their restricted list;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

UPS will take batteries and are reasonably priced. So will DHL and FedEx but they are very expensive.

Also I wouldn't take much notice of Parcel2Go's prohibited items list. Their list is far more restrictive than the couriers' actual prohibited items lists. But bear in mind you will not be insured if you use Parcel2Go to send a restricted item.

Advertisement