Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Decided to stay in Kerry for another year, so looking forward to getting lots of mileage again this year. Worked it out at around 4.5 thousand km, and thats not including where the Captains will be 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Should that have triggered a prompt to the email address provided? I did a search for teamed in my mails but don't see anything incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Don’t know what it does but you are set up anyway 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

I can't see any upcoming events on it.

Do they normally populate a few weeks before the outing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, they won't show in Teamer till they are added, usually the week before.

• Advertisement

I haven’t added any yet for 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

OK Guys, Hope all are good - swinging , keeping warm , hoping and dreaming of the future, working on something, seeing a shot that changes everything.

We are not far off our first outing. We hope to get the invites out by Friday the 14th of January. Thanks SeveOB for taking all the details of the new members.

Our first outing is at a real favorite of mine, Portmarnock Links. https://www.portmarnock.com/course-guide.htm

Anyone who grew up in Ireland in the 80s will have great memories of the Irish Opens on the east coast , the years of Seve (not OB), Faldo , Woosnam , O'Connor, Lyle -and some rather odd US additions like Calcavecchia and Strange. It was a golden era of the European Tour and in particular for the Irish opens at that time.

There was another rather serious golfer, that the Irish took a love for at that time and that was Bernhard Langer , It was a rather strange mix , the Irish at the time, unprofessional, fun , there for the craic - and here was a person, with the total opposite characteristics , but, the Irish loved the whole drama around his seriousness, his routine, his methodical Germanic precise nature. Bernhard fell in love with links golf and even amazingly, practiced in Corballis (as the true urban myth has grown).

So on a personal note, it is lovely to kick of on a Bernhard Langer signature course - there is only one type of golf to play at this time of year and that is Links. It always amazes me the great condition you can get on a Links at this time of year and hopefully the weather is good.

If you have never played a Links - it might be a good idea to play Corballis or another on the east coast prior to this outing - drop the 60 and 64 degree 😂 - practice your putting off the green and chip and runs - get to a bunker practice area and swing fast and aggressive with your SW to get over that lip. I will add that as course difficulty goes - this one is at the higher end and can be tough in wind.

For this outing we have secured a great rate (People should look up a Saturday rate for here) . We will also be encouraging people to join the society for the year. Invites will go out to people who are members of society first. (note more details will follow next week)

But there will obviously be a few spaces for once off and people who want to try out - But as mentioned before , these will have to pay additional cost associated and competition entry .

Note the cost of the first two outings are on higher side and we will return nearer to the €45 as the year progresses. This is because, our first two courses are top tier courses, targeting exceptional winter conditions. You will have to trust us, that we have tried everything in our powers to keep costs down (but as people know well , the industry has moved on considerably) - notwithstanding this - we have secured , sponsorship , contacts and members to enable the best value , for what I hope people agree, are top level courses.

Costing

1) Membership of society €35 -Covers ( Golfer of the year entry/prizes - Society Green Fee Fund - Prize Fund and all comp Entry (except 2s / novelty / Tiger side bets)

2) Outing €55

Total = €90

Visitor / non member €70

Prizes

1st / 2nd / 3rd

Gross Prize

2s competition

(no long drive at this event - pace of play / winter)

Again - thanks to all the guys working in the background on making the outings as good as they can be. Massive amount of time put into securing sponsorship and making the admin as easy as possible for members and the committee.

More details will be posted next week and then prior to event.

By the way, we are always open to anyone out there who has any ideas for prizes in any area they have contacts or involvements. You know me, I have the neck to ask....everything goes back into the society.

Thanks again guys - now as captain, I order you to get out and practice (joking - kinda 😆) - (Last tip) it is a Links, the fairway is there , hit it there - dont go for the massive bunker right and left.

To add to above - I think we have a few Bernhards in this society 😂

i think a week on a few dry (and maybe not so dry if there are a lot of lakes) parkland courses would be ideal prep.

watch out for the gators though 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Will you put up payment details or did I miss them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Hi boccy, all will be shared over the next week or 2.

Good to see you back!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Pm sent re joining

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

thanks for adding me

Post edited by robbok on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

by the looks of it a tee time at the boards golf soc is going to be one of the hottest tickets of the year

You won our last outing there willabur - your handicap has come down a bit since , but hopefully you can make a defence.

Looked up the old thread from 2020 - amazingly there were 43 golfers at Port Links. This is grand for the first outing - people trying it out etc. But we want about 30 committed golfers by the time we come around to say the 3rd outing.

Big numbers are a bit unwieldy , makes for a long day for the committee and impacts on the social side and the travelling involved.

From talking to old captains - a big area of frustration on an Internet based society - is at times, a lack of commitment from some participants. We will be asking people - if they commit , make sure they get there on time, no excuses (all weather) , just remember , it is a good price and someone else would have played.

Anyway - early days yet. We will know more about numbers in about 3 weeks.

We will start an outing specific thread at that point.

Was out today in the snow - was the coldest I ever was on a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

I am planning to be there, had a strong finish that day - 10 points over the last 3 holes. The weather was biblical at one stage during the round, brilliant links experience.

Handicap was 12 back then I think - down to 8 now. Would Need to play serious serious golf to contend

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Played there with the society a few years back, fantastic course. Thinking lots of practice on closing the face, ball slightly back in stance and punch swing is the way to go.

Now where do I go to learn all that in a couple of weeks? :)

Ah yes, this is all I need to do haha, good luck with that 😂

https://youtu.be/p2_xYXJW-Ms

Okay so as often happens I have managed to confuse myself

Is Portmarnock Links portmarnock.com or portmarnockgolflinks.ie ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Portmarnock.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 scotty_golf9

Hi everyone, just joined boards and ill love to be apart of the golf society. Just wondering whats the best way to approach it. Sound👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

welcome to boards Scotty Pm your details to Seveob. Club, HC etc and he will set you up. Dont worry though theres loads of time he might take a while to get back so just keep an eye on the threads. First outing is not to Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

looking forward to playing this year, I’ll be there, definitely great list there fix

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

App looks great guys. Well done as always plenty of unseen work and organisation going on in the background in the off season. I’m not sure how many events I’ll get to this year life is a little busy but will pay the membership and get to as many as I can. My invoice tab is blank at the minute though?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

Have downloaded and setup the clubnet app. Looks the job.

Thanks a million Golfgraffix for the setup instructions 👍👍

@pakman

Too mcuh to read above sorry.

I'm going to sound like a pr1ck now so I'm sorry but this needs to be said!

There are a good few lads here who give a lot of time and effort into organising and running this society. We are all very happy to do it for such a fantastic bunch of golf nuts. We don't ask for much from the society members. A lot of hours have gone into the background over the last few months in getting us to this point of rolling out a fantastic new system and facility. You won't be getting this service in your local pub society.

It's not much for us to ask you to read the very important update Golfgraffix posted and it's bad form that within 10 minutes of getting the text asking you to review, that you reply saying you can't be arsed to read it.

rant over, you're a good lad and I hope I haven't scared ya off 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Sorry, I should have added that once we have everybody onboarded that we will then do the invoices for subs.

We will update here and on the app when that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

Excellent work Golfgraffix ,all setup here and ready to roll for 2022. There has been an awful lot of work done by Fix and the main guys in the background this year to move the society forward and I would like to thank them for putting in the effort👍👍

Advertisement