Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You've made it clear now at last that you're agin it and wouldnt defend that sort of carry on, good man.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’m actually going to quit this thread. There is not one of the anti Biden posters actually attempting debate anymore. It’s all childish nonsense. It’s awful, it’s like debating kids with ADHD.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Don't insult the intelligence of kids with ADHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Unfortunately yes, but don’t take it too personally.

People are so biased against one side, logic is pointless and facts are definitely pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anti Biden ?

You mean posters who arent pro Biden or Biden cheerleaders surely ?

You can criticise someone without being anti them, there is a difference.

Anyone who criticises Biden in here more than often gets called "you lot" "Trumpists" and far far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You've added nothing of substance twice today already, and have dropped the discussion on policies that are looking to help demographics that the other poster agreed with then ran away after talking themselves into a corner only for all the debate to be reduced to pretend outrage again, but it can start again if you like. Native Americans are 20% more likely to smoke, is it OK to target them with an anti smoking campaign?

I was going to highlight the MisterAnarchy spiral of dumping and running and then this happened anyway in the quote below, start adding some substance, reduce the shitposting, you've become a parody, if you want to attack Biden, bring evidence, stick around for the debate, he's doing plenty wrong but falling back on the sleepy Biden memes at this stage is ridiculous.

Why do you and others keep saying that I post stuff that insinuates that Biden has dementia ?

I never did this.

Its just more lazy deflection, along with the You's and Trumpites rubbish.

As Faugheen said earlier "Unfortunately for you, it means answering any questions you have would be a waste of my time, because you're not actually asking the question in good faith."

I couldnt have put it any better myself.

I know who I am dealing with, at this stage I know who is genuine and who isnt and I have made the conscious decision to just ignore those who arent arguing in good faith .

I'm only replying to you and Faugheen now because its a New Year and I decided to give a few users a second chance.

You’ve come in here, made smart remarks with zero value to the discussion and then you f*cked off because your bollocks was being ripped apart and then you come back later with a different, unrelated hot-take so you can hope that everyone forgot about the last piece of nonsense you posted.

Ripped apart by whom may I ask, the users I have on ignore ?

Their opinion is of no interest to me .

Im not preaching to the choir, its an echo chamber after all.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Sentence one: "Ripped apart by who? The users I have on ignore?"

Sentence two: "This is an echo chamber!!1!"

The fact you have the cheek to accuse anyone else of being part of an echo chamber when you put users who you don't like challenging you on ignore is outstanding.

• Advertisement

Ive no issue with genuine posters challenging me.

You say that you want discussion but may I remind you of what you said earlier

But absolutely none of you post in good faith whatsoever.

I'm not sure why I am even partaking in this discussion as the thread much like the Matrix will be reset soon.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Nice that you've had a change of heart re triaging based on race.

Do you accept that the Covid payments policy we discussed earlier was also racist, as determined by the courts?

Also I watched the video from 28mins on and saw nothing strange. He's listening to some farmer lad shite on and it's boring to say the least, he then finishes by saying 'I'm from Delaware, most people think the largest industry is chemicals, it's not its chickens'. The conference is over and the press are asked to leave, shouting questions as they go. Don't see what the issue is personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

You are forgetting the suggestion that they do not have to target one particular demographic group with the anti-smoking campaign. They can target all smokers.

So answer me this, two people require a Drug that has the potential to be life saying, both 50, both diabetics, one black one white.

You think it's perfectly acceptable for a doctor to decide who potentially lives or dies solely based on race? Because medical care can be a life or death situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

You can watch it yourself from about 28 minutes in and confirm your belief that this is a man at the top of his game running the show.

He, uhh, made a reference to Delaware's biggest industry not being chemicals, but chickens. Broilers. Laughed a bit about that as did the press in the room. Then, he ignored press questions as they were ushered out.

Might've looked a bit fatigued having listened to the farmers go on for 30 minutes about the plight of the farmer, but I don't expect him to bang his desk and shout about it.

Nice of him to have had this conference. So, I believe he's a bit fatigued and looks somewhat worn after nearly a year in office fighting a huge challenge to America's security in Covid (and the GQP).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted

If you cannot be civil do not post

There's no 3 card trick here, but at least you seem to be saying it's fine to target a demographic in some circumstances (so I guess for others it's no longer an outrage but just not good).

So, if we take it back a bit, what's happening here, if it were in an Irish context, is that people with blond hair are having consistently worse treatment and outcomes than redheads and brunettes. The doctors and nurses have been told to treat all hair types the same, and they agree, but nothing really changes. The outcomes for poor blondes remains worse for poor redheads, the outcome for obese blondes remains worse than that of obese brunettes.

Now, if the goal is for everyone to have the same opportunity of outcome, then that means targeting blonde patients specifically, and it doesn't mean they get better treatment but that by putting a policy that puts them to the top of the list that their outcomes at least start matching that of the brunettes and redheads, and yes, the policy looks like it's disadvantaging the redheads and brunettes, but the real world outcome is that the redheads and brunettes still average better outcomes but that blondes outcomes improve.

This does of course mean that a different set of people have better outcomes, but the argument is that there should have been no difference between the groups in the first place and that the policy has worked in creating more equal outcomes even though it discriminates against some groups.

And if we start seeing blondes have on average better outcomes, then the policy can be dropped or lessened (and I'm sure some shouty type redheads and brunettes will be watching like a hawk in case this happens).

If you grouped people by hair colour you’d see similar disparities also. Equity doesn’t exist in nature. Why would we try to equalise health outcomes if we don’t know why blondes have it different to brunettes. ‘Historical racism’ isn’t a valid reason to prioritize people because it’s an unattainable goal, we never know when it’s accomplished. It’s not something you can measure. Not only that but you’re creating a point in the future where historical racism will need to be addressed by the racist policies you’re advocating to reintroduce.

What if it turns out that brunette people are actually generally poorer than blondes and that’s why they generally have worse health care outcomes -would you agree that only prioritising poverty would be a better way of addressing it.

The parts about ancestry aren’t just unnecessary but divisive and do a good job of taking all our eyes off the ball. The beginning of BLM coincided with the end of occupy Wall Street.

Wealth is the number one predictor for lifespan.

You're right, there is always disparities, however, in this case the reason for different outcomes is solely because the people involved in the treatment are putting one group ahead of the other rather than anything to do with genetics and background. It's also not historical racism if people are wrongly being prioritised by race today, there can certainly be historical reasons why it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

No in that case you would do a study to show whether or not blonds and burnettes had different reactions to a disease normalising for other factors like lifestyle, wealth, access to medical care. Then you can find out what the reason is. You don't accept that there is a reason, you find out what it is (hint in many situations when this is studied there are no medical or income reasons that describe the full descrepency) . Even then there could still be reasons for different treatment as you would hope they take the action to maximise lives saved. If you find out that Blondes are getting better results from treatment well then you will treat them differently. I suspect the issue with poverty is finding out that information while people are busy dying and needing medical attention.

Edit: Or even if we saw a difference along another point of frequent discrimination like age.

Post edited by Christy42 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 terrytrap

Personally, I am not a supporter of Trump, but think that Biden is not the best president. I don't even know who will vote for him in the next elections. 

• Advertisement

this case the reason for different outcomes is solely because the people involved in the treatment are putting one group ahead of the other rather than anything to do with genetics and background

How do you know this? That some racial groups received better health care than others because of their race or gender. These equity measures from Biden went looking for disparities and it of course found them because they are the norm not the exception.

I noticed the recommendation of that COVID 19 health task force was to document everybody by race, gender, sexuality etc.. because they say currently only half of cases are recorded as such. If they documented people by whatever group you’d like to choose they’d also see disparities.

In practise measures like this end up holding back people that are trying the hardest. Look at the Harvard admissions case. Many kids of Asian immigrants were performing particularly well in the U.S. which many attributed to the culture of tiger parenting. These students that were performing the best were held back the most, that’s how equity was achieved. As Christy rightly pointed out when you normalise for lifestyle and wealth there still remain some disparities, in this case cultural reasons for these disparities were ignored.

As long as there is equality of opportunity the focus on outcomes is unnecessary and divisive. The opportunity is there for everybody to get vaccinated but some groups are not doing so for reasons other than they are being refused it. We need to know what those reasons are and properly address them. Focusing on the outcomes is lazy without knowing the reasons why. Many have linked these disparities with wealth the single biggest indicator of such disparities. So by addressing only wealth as a factor you’d be disproportionately helping non white people without all the divisive drivel.

To get a hedge of even height one has to apply pruning shears. To achieve equal scholastic levels in a school one would have to pressure certain students into extra hard work while holding back others.

Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn

I don't know this, it's the reason the policy is being enacted in this case, if that data is wrong, then the policy can be changed, but the objection seems to be that such a policy even exists rather than the data it's based off being wrong (this is a problem when the immediate reaction is to jump to outrage rather than look at the data and reasoning first).

Similarly with equality of opportunity, the policy is trying to achieve that because it is not being achieved already, this can, on paper, look like it's discriminating against some groups, in practice it would likely only get to a position where equality of opportunity existed (and I doubt it would even get that far). Outcomes can't be normalised but when 2 groups have consistently different outcomes and the only difference is their ethnicity (and the outcome is unrelated to genetics) then there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I wonder how the white house is going to handle this, It seems they are obviously aware how politically toxic closing the schools are especially keeping in mind how long some places in the states stayed virtually teaching, that was harmful.

The unions are a key base though. What's the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just caught about half of Biden's speech in the Capitol rotunda.

I like the guy, I think he's been an outstanding public servant for over 50 years, heck I'm even related to him.

But....it was a dreadful speech. It was antagonistic, it had no note of reconciliation or aspiration to do better for everyone. It was rambling, it was overly bitter and he seemed very, very old.

He could have tried to elevate the discourse, but honestly he got down in the dirt with some quiet Trump like rhetoric.

Given that Trump pulled out of his own gong show later, this was Biden's opportunity to be the real Statesman, a president for all the people and I just didn't hear that from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Republicans have repeatedly shown they have no interest in reconciliation so what's the point? Nothing he said would made any difference to the Trump cultists. A "president for all the people" is just naive pie in the sky stuff.

It isn't.

Those that want to move on and try and improve things need to bring small-C conservatives along with them, those who are Republicans but who are disgusted with their leadership. I don't think Biden's remarks today did a lot to attract them.

Read Bush Chief of Staff Karl Rove in the WSJ today for an excellent description of where things are and what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I haven't seen the speech, but to be fair I don't think that most Republican voters (and certainly no Trump cultists) are any way interested in trying to build any kind of bridge. They are waiting around for Biden to slip up so they can take some pot shots at his (and the Democrats) way.

So why should Biden waste his time trying to appeal to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I didn’t see it live but saw it reported that Biden went in with full barrels on Trump and that clip above seems to show that it wasn’t journalistic hype.

• Advertisement

Because he's the POTUS and has mid-term elections in 10 months time.

In other words, the same reasons every President in history has tried to appeal to registered voters of the other party. The same reasons Reagan won 49 states.

Advertisement