Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The hearing isn't going well for Prince Andrew. Judge isn't buying into his lawyer's arguments, including the Epstein settlement.

Key point from the Epstein settlement is that the terms of it are not to be used by any other persons, especially as the settlement was secret meaning that if it was able to be used by other persons as a defence, the settlement being secret would have meant they wouldn't have known about it.

Not looking good for him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Epstein was in London and may not have the network of girls he'd be able to access freely in the United States whilst in London so she may be bought over with them to satisfy his own sexual needs for the few days he was in London.i doubt she was bought over specifically to service Andrew in his hometown but maybe given the opportunity to do so...he may have took advantage of this opportunity.

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

A child who asked a younger child if she wanted to make some money and brought her along to the pleasure dome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Reports indicate she was an adult when this is alleged to have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sounds like you've convicted her as guilty on this one based on a one-sided report.

Not it matters too much as to whether it was planned or opportunistic - the main issue is the 48 year old Epstein handed the 17 year old child over to the 41 year old prince for sex.

You have to love the headline “Judge Leaves Andrew Sweeting” 😂

Interestingly from the article below it’s not alleged that he had under age sex - it’s that he had forced sex- harder to prove I would imagine?

Mr Brettler told Judge Kaplan that Ms Giuffre 'doesn't articulate' what had allegedly happened to her at the hands of the duke.

He said she was over the age of consent in the state of New York and so needed to allege she was forced to have sex with the duke. Judge Kaplan said: 'With all due respect, Mr Brettler, that's not a dog that's got a hunt here' and that she had no obligation to do so.

He said he understood Mr Brettler's point but 'it just isn't the law'. Mr Brettler said Ms Giuffre did not 'explain how she was forcibly compelled' under New York law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I love how a 17 year old is labelled “a child“ here, when the same person would be called “a young women” in other contexts.

At 17, almost 18, she was in her late teens at least, and hardly a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Am I the only one that is confused that if Virginia Guiffre is not claiming she was underage at the time of the alleged encounters how she can avail of legislation which sets aside the statute of limitations based on child sexual abuse to enable her bring her case in a New York court?

No I’m also somewhat unclear and in fact I think the defence team of Andrew are also not totally clear- if it’s not underage sex then it’s forced sex via trafficking is my understanding but I imagine if you were to find against Andrew, you’d need to prove he was aware of what Epstein was up to which I think will be harder to prove than it sounds. But I stand corrected if someone could provide a definitive here?

Yes ....but Epstein had compensated Virginia Roberts for all his misdemeanors with her in every way in 2009 and she accepted the settlement This is solely between Virginia Roberts and prince Andrew having sexual contact especially in London and the prince may have believed it to be consensual on Virginia Roberts part .....if it did happen..she not suing Epsteins estate again based on the assumed handing over by Epstein the 17 year Roberts to prince Andrew .....I was reading on sky news website that Virginia Roberts case against prince Andrew included her saying that it was MAXWELL who ordered her to do with Andrew what she does with jeffrey..so in effect the consensual part was already made happen by Maxwell to Roberts and Andrew may or may not took advantage of Roberts then which does look bad for the prince if he did.... but the principle probably is the same.she seems to imply a collaborative agreement that Maxwell and Andrew which would allow Andrew to have sexual contact with roberts at his discretion.

• Advertisement

I see one of the jurors talking about his own sexual abuse as a child. Surely giving Maxwell grounds for an appeal? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10370193/Ghislaine-Maxwell-juror-says-evidence-convinced-panel-predator.html

It also states that he wasn’t the only juror who shared his abuse story. Interesting juror selection indeed..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

what kind of idiot talks to the press like that, only use my first and middle name but sure plaster pics of me and my cat all over it

It appears not uncommon in the US for jurors to discuss cases after the fact. Seems utterly bizarre to me.

I am not a pedo, thank you very much.

But I also don’t think a 17 year old is a “child”, but definitely a teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It seems very shaky ground if she recruited underage girls when she herself was over eighteen.

Would you not be suspicious if your 17 year old girlfriend was a masseuse for an older couple and leaving you hundreds of pounds in cash for the weekend?

He wouldn’t be impartial. A sex abuse victim sitting in judgement against an accused sex abuser/trafficker.

Why shouldn't a sex abuse victim be on a jury? They're as likely to be impartial as anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

We'll see won't we. These sorts of agreements should be evidence that the person paying has committed the crime and shouldn't be enforcable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

He is mentally subnormal. The question isn't what did he understand but what would a person of normal intelligence have understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so somebody who has been mugged in the past couldn't sit on the jury for a mugging trial? do you think they should extend it so that any victim of a crime is barred from serving on a jury because they might be impartial?

Any victim of the crime being tried should not sit in judgment of someone charged with that crime. Human nature dictates that there’s no way they could impartially reach a verdict.

Assuming it happened in the first place. If he did have sex with her then absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would have known what “arrangement” was in place - but will we ever know for sure what the real truth is here? And also, if you’re to believe Andy did what is suggested, then you must believe all the other claims Guiffre has made about the likes of Senator George Mitchell etc

i know it is early in the year that may just be the dumbest thing said in this thread in 2022.

• Advertisement

Really? If you were accused of sexually abusing a minor, would you be happy having a victim of childhood abuse sit in judgment over you? And for them to discuss their abuse in the Jury room while deciding your fate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It is bizarre and not in the public interest. Whatever about the ones who came forward, how the judge released the names of the rest is unbelievable. If they ever asked me to serve, I would cite this and refuse.

So anyone who's got a kicking at pub closing time can ever sit on any jury relating to assault? Anyone who had their lunch money stolen can ever sit on any jury around theft or burglary?

We're going to start running out of jurors. People may or may not be impartial, regardless of their past experience. If you want to start measuring impartiality, you're going to need to look further than what crimes they may have been a victim of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah its bizarre that jurors are allowed speak to the media after trials but Americans hold 1st Amendment rights to free speech dearly so not allowing it would conflict with that.

Another thing they do that we would find bizarre here is the perp walk. If you are involved in a high profile case after your arrest the cops will literally parade you for the waiting media so they can get photos and tv images of you in handcuffs for the tv news. They will also supply the media with your mugshot. So you can be totally innocent of a crime but before the trial even begins photos of your mugshot and tv footage of you in handcuffs will already exist and its all set up by the cops and totally normal over there. As well as that the media are allowed to speculate on your guilt in articles alongside the photo of you in handcuffs. It goes completely against the idea of someone being treated as innocent until they are actually proven guilty. The reason it isnt done here or in many countries is that it serves to poison the pool of jurors. Over there even if you are later found innocent your life will be essentially ruined by the media attention anyway.

In the Phillipines they go even further, years ago I backpacked there and they sold a few local newspapers in english so I bought a couple out of interest. Inside on several pages were photographs of suspects with handcuffs visible and they were surrounded by 5 or 6 police officers who were all literally pointing their finger at the suspect for the photograph. They also did the same thing on the tv news. The article would have quotes from the police sergeant basically saying 'yeah this guy is guilty' before the trial had even began. It was like your trial was at the police station and if they decided you were guilty then you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Caquas

This will certainly be added to Maxwell’s grounds for appeal. Her lawyers will scrutinise every word. Odd that this juror doesn’t remember that he was asked if he had been a victim of sexual abuse.

I was ridiculed on this thread when I said that jurors would be courted by the media after the trial. My point was that the jurors would face a very different media response if they had acquitted her. Here we have a sympathetic story in the Daily Mail (!) of the juror/victim. Imagine the media stories if Maxwell had walked!

I’m not saying she’s innocent, I’m not saying the jury conspired to convict her. I simply say that the jurors knew they would get a very hostile reaction if they acquitted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The issue is not that victims of crime are automatically barred from being jurors in trials of people charged with a similar crime; it's that having been a victim of crime might raise the issue of whether your experience leaves you less able to be dispassionate. The defence is entitled to know about this so that they can explore the possiblity that you might be biased and, if appropriate, challenge you as a juror. In the Maxwell case, as is routine, all the prospective jurors filled out a questionnaire designed to bring to light any issues that the defence might wish to consider, including this one. It seems that the juror concerned didn't disclose in answering that questionnaire that they had been a victim of sex abuse, so the defence never got the opportunity to consider whether a challenge was warranted.

And also It allows for an accused to put forward an alternative narrative like the Molly Martens interview -“a victim of a controlling husband” in this case.

While our justice system isn’t perfect, at least it avoids these side shows and ensures that proper evidence only is submitted to a jury vs being bombarded with so much hearsay and speculation in advance of a trial.

It seems that Andy played the American game of public appeal and lost the sympathy vote. He should have kept his big mouth shut- what possessed him to do the interview?

It’s his comment at the end of the interview that stayed with me -“I think you’ve probably dragged out most of what is required” - what a bizarre thing to say

EM: This interview has been exceptionally rare, you might not speak on this subject again, is there anything you feel has been left unsaid that you would like to say now?

PA: No, I don't think so. I think you've probably dragged out most of what is required and I'm truly grateful for the opportunity that you've given me to be able to discuss this with you.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50449339.amp

I thought it was prince Andrew who requested the interview so the line he used of 'dragging out what was required' was bizzare alright...he also said he wanted to talk person to person to Epstein in 2010 so as he says himself he is a engaging person!.

I posted a link to the transcript above- totally guarded responses or at the very least, vague ,to most questions; very little definitive answers; you can hear his mind ticking over like “how will I answer this question without actually saying anything”

His reason for returning to Epsteins house in 2010 or 2011 to cut his ties with him are laughable- he was guest of honour at a dinner hosted by Epstein FFS and stayed at the house for a number of days. I wonder was this all about trying to get reassurances that Epstein wouldn’t convey anything “unbecoming” about Andrew in the years ahead? You wouldn’t have wanted to make an enemy of Epstein had you been a naughty Prince, that’s for sure.

And as for his reluctance to say the words “sex offender” in relation to Epstein, even after he had died?

The whole thing stinks- there’s no way Andy will go to trial on this- he’ll definitely settle outside court. He and his legal advisers know exactly how the trial will go and it’s obvious they are very afraid, for whatever reason.

I think Andrews association with Maxwell who seemed to procure the sexy young girls that Andrew is now accused of taken advantage of is of more signifance more so than Epstein association with Andrew... Epstein was a financier first and foremost who also took advantage of the girls supplied and organised for him mostly by Maxwell...now if prince Andrew was involved in some financial scandal then his association with Epstein would definitely be a issue.

He certainly disclosed his abuse to his peers in the jury room, so they were in a position to raise any concerns they might have had. Disclosure of sexual abuse is an extremely sensitive issue. You may have people who haven't disclosed their abuse to their partner or kids, and now they're expected to give details in a forum which may end up plastered all over tabloid news sites.

Maybe they should be asking everyone if they've ever carried out any sexual abuse to see if they are dispassionate? Or if they've ever been accused of sexual abuse?

It’s ironic that up to her conviction Maxwell was the one person that could have helped Andrew, especially in explaining the photograph and what happened in her London flat - He was still in contact with her up to just before his interview in 2019- Id love to see those emails- I wonder if the courts could get access to those if the trial went ahead? There’s definitely evidence out there either supporting his innocence or his guilt

In the interview,he definitely wanted to get across it was Ghislaine was the reason for all the invitations to the royal occasions they were invited as guests....that would be truthful...more than likely he then received invitations from Ghislaine more so than Jeffrey to occasions/events in their US homes...incl parties where young girls were in attendance and that she most likely organised in the United States which he attended...now that she has been convicted of being a "madam" in procuring girls in the states... she'll be the cause of his ultimate downfall this time even though she certainly wouldn't want that to happen her best friend and her his best friend,the agreement that Epstein and Virginia Roberts have won't protect Andrew in this instance....it did protect Maxwell in any civil case being dismissed..if Maxwell and Virginia Roberts had the same agreement written up with the same conditions, he'd be better protected from the allegations....I wouldn't be surprised if Maxwell really was prince Andrews real love interest and the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.....like his brother prince Charles who always wanted to be with camilla.

• Advertisement

He has willingly disclosed it to the media whereas it would have remained secret had they mentioned it during jury selection. I have no idea how or why you think it would end up plastered on tabloid news sites in that scenario - they would probably not have ended up on the jury.

I agree that there should be no issue with a victim of crime being on a jury. Having someone on the jury who was a sex abuse victim is not inherently problematic or cause for appeal. But if they were asked about it and lied in jury selection it gets a bit messier.

Interested in what people think of this aspect of Andrew’s BBC interview.

What strikes me, is that he went through a process of “wracking his brain” to see if he could remember having sex with her.

So my questions is, just how many sexual partners did Andy have over an 18 year period that he had to “wrack his brain”.???

if you’re a very sexually active person in your 20s, I imagine your sexual partners have run into double digits so a bit of “brain wracking” may well be called for - it’s a pity he wasn’t pushed more on this aspect of his private life in the interview.

I would say he’s far more sexually active than he’s letting on

EM: For the record, is there any way you could have had sex with that young woman or any young woman trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein in any of his residences?

PA: No and without putting too fine a point on it, if you're a man it is a positive act to have sex with somebody. You have to have to take some sort of positive action and so therefore if you try to forget it's very difficult to try and forget a positive action and I do not remember anything. I can't, I've wracked my brain and thinking oh… when the first allegations, when the allegations came out originally I went well that's a bit strange, I don't remember this and then I've been through it and through it and through it over and over and over again and no, nothing. It just never happened.

Article here listing his possible partners since divorcing Fergie- while he’d like us to believe that hes monogamous with his ex wife living as they do together in a royal household

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2896968/amp/Prince-Andrew-s-colourful-romantic-past-revealed.html

It's not just about this one juror though. I'm talking in general - that expecting people to disclose their sexual abuse history in a public forum is very problematic. It also seems misguided, to just ask people if they have been a victim of abuse. If you're going to ask those questions, you'd want to ask them if they have every carried out abuse, or been accused of abuse, or had a friend or relative who has been through abuse. Honestly, it's a bit of a pointless question on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭cheezums

As well as seemingly not disclosing his past sexual abuse, in his interview he said he used his past sexual abuse experience to convince other jurors who were on the fence that two of the accusers were trustworthy. Pretty solid grounds for a mistrial there in fairness.

They are not asked to speak about their abuse in public! They fill in a questionnaire, which was where they disclose any bias.

If he was asked about sexual abuse in the jury selection process and purposefully didn't disclose it, that could definitely be grounds for a retrial. I don't think him trying to convince other jurors of the trustworthyness of witnesses would be though, whether he used his own past history to do so or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭cheezums

Would it not greatly strengthen the argument though? "The thing which was omitted, which we would have objected to, had a direct impact on the delibrations of the jury, in the juror's own words."

I'm no lawyer though.

I would say the former (not disclosing it at all) would be grounds for a retrial if it was something that they were asked during jury selection. If he did disclose it during jury selection, and then tried to use his past experience to try to convince other jurors, I don't think that would be considered enough on its own to warrant a retrial. That on its own is just one juror trying to convince another, but each juror is responsible for their own vote/decision and there were no indications of anyone being forced or coerced into voting a particular way.

IMO, it all boils down to whether he knowlingly lied during jury selection or not. Everything else depends on the framework of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,119 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not only is she a scapegoat for Epstein, she's now a scapegoat for a jurors past trauma.

Advertisement