Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Dont have receipt. Gave the bike to a mate who done block work in my gaff. Not in the old job anymore and the section that organises the ctw in previous post are about as much use as peddles on a wheelchair. I asked my new employer could they find out and they said they would but have not got back to me. There should be some way of checking yourself but im not aware of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's one interpretation of the rules, I always took it as per employment so if you change jobs you can avail again unless your new boss specifically states you can't. Since it is not reported to revenue there is literally no way to check unless audited and if I ever am I will happily defend my position (and pay the tax due if Revenue disagree).

Umm, there is no "interpretation" with revenue. Its pretty clear

How often can I use the scheme?

Once every four years (five years prior to 1 August 2020). This applies even if the cost of the bicycle and safety equipment was less than €1,250 or, in the case of a pedelec or ebike, €1,500.

The tax year in which the bicycle is provided counts as the first year. For example, if you used the scheme during any month in 2016, you can use the scheme again from 1 January 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Most employers ask you to sign a form or declaration stating you have not availed of the scheme in the previous 4 years. No way of checking, but clearly your problem if caught out and not your employers. It is pretty clear but as stated previously I belive no way of revenue checking.

Post edited by Minier81 on

• Advertisement

Bikes have gone up again since last year. The cube attain sl is 1650, was 1500 last year. 1650 for an alu bike with basic wheels. Mad money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

If you still have payslips from that year, it should be included on them.

I don't as we were paid electronically and i dont have access to the system. Revenue have records of when the last time you applied so even if you move jobs, they will still know on their own records the last time you have applied.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,837 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

revenue don't keep records of when the BTW scheme is used. the employer doesn't notify them, and does not need to. all that happens is the employer deducts the cost of the scheme from their gross salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Masala

Hypothetical question,.....

used the scheme in 2020. Do u think I could go again in 2022

just moved job in 2021.... can revenue find out of I tell new employer that I never used scheme before???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Masala

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hypothetically, revenue are very unlikely to find out but this would be 100% illegal by you and I'm sure your new employer would not be happy at being lied to in order to commit what would be tax fraud.

Previously the language explicitly said "per employment", that may have changed but at the time I done it those were the words used. This obviously may have changed when they updated the rules recently. There is a big discussion about it in the megathread (which I can't seem to merge with this one)

So you have actually got it again after changing employment within the 4 years?

there is no checking, and no return sent to Revenue, so you could go again f you move jobs, I know of someone who managed to use the scheme 3 times in the space of 3 years, not that I would condone in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Revenue also state the bike is to be used mainly for "qualifying journeys" (between home and place of work). I'm sure there's plenty of bikes bought through the scheme that have never been cycled near the office.

Sure my ctw is going towards a ride on lawnmover. I cant see myself going down the tallaght bypass to work on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I remember hearing of a store that sells bikes and baby equipment allowing customers to put their CTW scheme towards a buggy for the new arrival.

3 times within 5 years actually, although the total amount spent was less than €2000 as two of the bikes were cheap commuters. I changed jobs twice over that time period. This was over 10 years ago now though, so as said above, the language may have changed.

If they audited you they might see it, my old employer had it listed on the P45 but this isn't issued anymore but either way, it may no longer be legal so you shouldn't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's not a great start to a new job if you try to deceive Revenue by using the scheme within 4 years again. It's dishonest and if you're new employers found out they won't trust you and might even issue you a P45.

MOD VOICE: Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Got a written quote for a cycle to work bike before Xmas for 1,650 to submit to my employer's 3rd party scheme administrator, and left a 50 euro deposit to secure the model/size delivery in the new year.

Recently enough the shop called me to say that the manufacturer increased prices and the bike is now 1,899 for 2022 - a 15% price bump. Checked the manufacturers site and the bike RRP has only gone up by 50 euro.

I understand that shops can charge whatever they want regardless of RRP, but do I have any leg to stand on to insist that they have to honour the written quote that I already provided to my employer?

The bike I wanted is a lot less attractive at almost 2k relative to the spec offered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,837 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was the deposit verbal, and if not, does the paperwork reflect the original price?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/deposits.html

Paperwork is dated and notes the original price and the deposit paid.

based on the advice in that link i posted, that forms a contract, i'd have thought? they have entered into a contract to supply a bike to you at the price agreed. what your next step is, i don't know though...

might be worth asking in the legal discussion forum.

Thanks for that. I suppose they can just give me my deposit back and tell me to jog on, will have to talk to them again and try to figure it out

*if* you have what is considered a contract with them, they can't just tear it up and tell you to bog off, they have agreed in writing, and with deposit placed, to supply the item at an agreed price.

you'd get better advice on the legal discussion forum as to whether you do have this protection and if so, how to make use of it.

Im thinking of getting another bike just for a change. I dont see the point at all the more i look at stock and value for money. I might just buy store credit out of the few quid i have and wait for it to improve which could be two years. I have a giant defy advanced 2 2020 that i got for 2k just before it went crazy. They are nearly 3k now for the same bike with waiting lists of a year in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

I am looking to purchase up my first bike ever via the bike to work scheme.

I simply want a city bike for commuting to work. I want good types, good mudguards and a lock. That's it.

Would anyone be able to recommend the best bike shop (ideally around Dublin City Centre) to go to for the purchase?

Many thanks.

Advertisement