Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Here's a screenshot of the announcement of the sale, sorry the image if f'ed up, the linking code on here dodgy af.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

nothing there suggests that the taxpayer paid for the hat or that she received it as a gift. That she had the hat made by the designer who picked her clothes for her suggests to me that she paid for it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sort of hilarious and disgusting at the same time. Cryptocurrency ftw, too, doesn't trust USD (or maybe expecting a lot of overseas 'bidders.')

I wonder what the over/under is for the percentage of 'profits' turned into foster care / education grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Melania selling NFTs?

Man, I never would have thought she'd become my most hated Trump....

Yes, that's what I said in the previous post (after edit)

• Advertisement

Didn't realize that the 'collection' was dubbed 'the Head of State' collection. Uhh.... FLOTUS is head of nothing.

And the gown she wore to the #2xIMPOTUS inauguration was at least stylish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The problem is that his Klan can not, WILL not change their mind. He is bullet-proof to them. While they would happily burn someone alive for "taking the knee" (And don't their stars align beautifully that most of these people are black. Sheer perfection for them), if trump came out tomorrow and took a dump on the American flag, they would cheer him as they would then declare "This flag doesn't represent me anymore". MAYBE they'd have a problem if he simply Came Out :)

But his Klan will all turn out for the mid-terms and 2024. As is their right. But Democrat voters have a tendency to NOT turn up. They did last time and voted him out. But the biggest issue with Democrat voters is apathy. And, say what you want about trump, he is certainly more of a personality than Biden.

And trump's Klan will spot the usual Schrodinger's Covid arguments:

• It is fake.
    • It's the Democrats' fault that it is spiking.

Sometimes within the same breath.

And the usual Schrodinger's Elite arguments:

• Trump's a hugely successful billionaire tycoon. Smartest and richest man in the world.
    • Trump is a man of the People. One of us and will "get" those billionaire tycoons.

So, as much as I hate to admit it, 2022 and 2024 WILL be a close one and it is too close to call. I mean, even the most ardent trump advocate here would have to agree that democracy has been permanently damaged in the US by trumps statements. They won't say it but deep down they will believe it (because it's an undeniable Truth). So, 2022 and 2024 will be close and EXTREMELY nasty and messy...... And THAT, above all else, will be trumps Legacy. That he sh4t all over American democracy. He will be remembered for no other policy decisions (The vast majority of which were rolled back or thrown out).

As for Civil War? Nah. Not going to happen. briany said it best:

I think when you get down to brass tacks, the numbers willing to take up arms would be too few and too disorganised in their aims. It would be such an odd mix of people. You'd have your militia types, but you'd also have lads in cosplay knight armour, livestreaming their attempt to take over a neighbourhood in Portland, Oregon, plus middle-aged women attempting to run people down in their gas-guzzling 7 seaters while rattling off a stream of consciousness rant about vaccines.

There's no organisation there. There is only so much you can do with some pick-up trucks, 4 teeth, a confedarate flag, your cousin, and a nebulous hatred of homosexuals, "dem t owelheads", Bill Gates nanobots, "Elites", liberals, RINOs, everyone who is not them ('cuz they all hate 'Murica) and Democrats (Who, let's not forget, are Satanist pedophiles.)

They may have vast amounts of firearms but it would never happen. Oh they'd come out: Squeeze into their camouflage gear. Cover their exposed bellies with their assault riles. Parade up and down a few streets in Oklahoma and Florida. Call themselves Patriots. The National Guard will come out (eventually. Even in these places). Shots may even be fired. If a National Guardsmen is killed, fox "news" will offer thoughs and prayers to the family. If an insurrectionist is killed, fox "news" will wail and throw their hands up in the air about the heavy-handed approach taken on innocent people expressing their right to bear arms.

But no, there will be no real "uprising". Just a lot of people with large, over-compensating guns preening about in costumes.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Might be hard to identify who paid for specific items , but I'm almost 100% that there is a "clothing budget" for the 1st lady to provide for the fact that she'd need to be buying clothes for high profile events etc.

That budget is perfectly fine and makes total sense , but if Melania is now monetising those items by selling them (and NFT's of her wearing them!!) then while probably not actually illegal it's just another distasteful example of them grifting for money at any available opportunity.

I am confident that designers all jostle for opportunities to donate clothing. Remember the 'eat the rich' gown AOC wore (to much right-wing pearl clutching?) It was very expensive, and donated.

The grifting is the disgusting part, but Melania really was forced to relent from the grifting while FLOTUS, now that she isn't, sell everything. Still I'm hyper-amused by her insisting on cryptocurrency as payment. Can't trust those bidders...

i'm not sure there is a clothing budget. FLOTUS can have items donated to her but those items remain the property of the US government. its not like she is paying full price for her clothes anyway.

Michelle paid for her own clothes. I can't see how it would be different for Melania.

• Advertisement

Getting into bitcoin to avoid asset seizure maybe?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And not being able to trace where it came from either.

Selling NFT's using only crypto for payment really is a potentially great way to clean money, or to hide illegal payoffs and bribes.

If someone was that way inclined of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say it's more likely that she wants to move to Bitcoin as an excuse to unsubscribe from Donald's emails asking for donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭NSAman

Not suggesting anything, just letting you know what the feeling is…. No spin, no agenda, no reporting affiliations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump has way more personality than Biden, but let's not forget that the pro-Biden vote was really more anti-Trump, and that means that America looked at Trump's ample personality in 2020 and decided that it was something they could do without being at the head of things.

And the thing of it is that Trump doesn't really appear to have changed in his outlook much. We hear from him less, which is great, but any time we do, it's pretty much the same old thing. If anything, he's gone darker and more bitter.

Although approval rates of Biden have dropped, imagine if Trump does run again. We know what kind of chaos and division he would actively foment as president, and we even have veiled threats by the likes of Bannon about 'doing it right' the second time, which sounds quite ominous.

And the thing of it is that Trump doesn't really appear to have changed in his outlook much. We hear from him less, which is great, but any time we do, it's pretty much the same old thing. If anything, he's gone darker and more bitter.

This is a fairly key point.

Trump is utterly unchanged since he left office , indeed he hasn't really changed at all in the last 5/6 years.

He's more bitter and vindictive now - in truth he always has been , but his targets are now all largely public figures whereas in the past a lot of them were just other business people/partners so his petty vindictiveness is just more readily seen now.

Trump will never change and he will find it almost impossible to get anyone that voted for Biden last time to swap sides in 2024 should he run.

At best he might push some moderate GOP leaning voters to sit 2024 out , he's not going to get them to vote for him.

That doesn't mean that he couldn't win . The GOP are working on "fixing" all of the things that they feel contributed to Trumps loss .

I'm not talking about better policies or improved communications like a normal political party after an election loss , no I'm talking about them "fixing" the elections.

They are actively working on making it harder for certain types of people to vote - Specifically urban voters and lower income voters by limiting mail-in voting ,reducing access to polling places, purging voter rolls etc.

Oddly enough the voters most likely to be impacted by these changes typically don't lean GOP.

They are also "fixing" the state voting certification process so that they are shifting the power away from voting commissions or SoS level and putting the decision in the hands of the State Congress where they currently hold power in most of the key Purple states.

The GOP don't see Trumps actions and policies as the mistakes that lost them the Election , they see their inability to simply change the results to suit them as the mistake - A "mistake" they are actively working on ensuring doesn't happen again.

The tick-tock nature of American politics could have serious implications for the country, the way things are shaping up. It used to be a stable system because each side represented roughly one half of America and, most importantly, they each abided by the same set of norms. There was a kind of balance, there. Democratic president, Republican Senate. Republican president, Democratic house. It was bland and predictable, but it basically worked.

What appears to be happening, now, is that the Republican side is getting more desperate. I think the root of this is that the party's voting base has been the worst hit by austerity post-2008, and this has left them prone to the extreme rhetoric and disinformation proliferating online, and there are real echoes of history in that. And the more extreme they get, the more they push the rest of America away, and the less potential benefit they gain from participating in politics as normal and enfranchisement for all.

Therefore, they will use their control in state legislatures, where they have it, to make it harder to vote for the kind of people they don't want voting, and try to get a majority of representatives back in power at the top levels of U.S. politics. All that's left, then, is to get a Republican president back in office and 'get it right' that time, as Bannon has essentially said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, I'm not concerned about people SWITCHING votes to trump. It's more of the general Democrat apathy that is of concern. It's a broad statement but younger people tend to be more liberal and Democrat-leaning in the US but they are also the least likely to vote. I was in the UK at Glastonbury when the UK voted for Brexit. Again, younger people would have voted to stay in general. You could see the shock on people there, Unable to believe it had passed. But I was talking to people there and almost every one had variations on the same answer: "No, I just didn't get around to voting" or "I'm stunned. But I didn't vote because I thought it would never pass".

Basically if you don't vote for the person/cause/policy you want, you are, in effect, voting AGAINST it. So, you are absolutely right in that the trump loss was mainly down to anti-trump, the anger isn't there as much now. He's loud and hate-filled but he's not in power anymore.... So they don't need to vote this time. Job is done. THAT'S the problem. Whereas trump supporters WILL turn up. And this is their right. And the right thing to do. They are entitled to vote (once, guys) just as much as everyone else.

So yeah, Apathy and the pre-emptive rigging that GOP states are bringing in are the BIG concern (And there is ZERO other term for their regulations. It is blatant pre-emptive rigging. So blatant we are talking about it two YEARS before their rigging attempts to impact the 2024 election)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

" think the root of this is that the party's voting base has been the worst hit by austerity post-2008"

Yes, but their policies and approach to politics in general is outdated and they are the least favourite party. Therefore, they must cajole or cheat to stay in power.

To be honest , I think the greatest weapon against Democrat voter apathy (and I totally agree with you on that general point) is Trump running again.

Trump as a figurehead will counterbalance a very large chunk of the "Biden didn't deliver X" or "Candidate X doesn't exactly tick every single one of my ideological boxes" so I'm staying home and not voting.

I'd be much more worried about Democrat voter apathy or their ridiculous "purity test" guff if the GOP candidate isn't Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

The Big Lie show must go on. Hosted by Donald Trump. For 2022 mid-terms and 2024 general. Trump to conduct a Jan 6 news media briefing from his Florida mansion tomorrow. Obviously a reiteration of the Big Lie election fraud conspiracy. Just like commercials on TV. Apparently the more you repeat something, the more people buy it. Otherwise advertising would not work. Nor would Trump’s Big Lie.

He cancelled that "briefing". none of the major news stations would cover it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Last minute Trump cancellation? Of his commemorative Jan 6 botched insurrection? Not even his Fox & Friends news media mouth piece would appear? So Trump now has botched his 1-year anniversary?

Now see the cancellation on various news media reports. Fox says he will next address the world about his stolen election conspiracy at his Arizona January 15 (obvious presidential 2024) rally. Will the Cyber Ninjas be at the rally to report that Biden won AZ? Even though the audit was paid for by the Republican controlled AZ Senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It would become another referendum on trump's first term, it's hard to see what Biden could do that would change voter's minds on trump1 (especially as Afghanistan is now old news). The GOP surely realises that even if trump doesn't.

Depressingly paddy power has Trump as favourite to win the next presidential election. He is at 3/1, Biden is at 4/1 with Harris at 5/1.

Trump would make it all about fixing the "Terrible wrong" that was inflicted on him when the 2020 election was "stolen from him by the Communist Democrats". There will be no policy or anything like that it would all about him and getting his revenge.

If 2024 voting and certification was carried out under largely the same procedures and rules as 2020 , then Trump loses again without question , regardless of how good or bad Biden is doing by November 2024, he is beyond toxic to the majority of US voters and will do nothing to address that.

But 2024 won't be under those same rules - The GOP are in the process of putting their foot on the scale across multiple States in multiple different ways to ensure that it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's because more people will put money down and tie it up for a few years on trump then they will on the others, it's a potential loss leader without much risk for the bookmaker. Until Biden is confirmed to run (I've no doubt he will) then his odds will be diluted whereas there's not much other names on the GOP side that would attract early bets (DeSantis maybe?).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Who was the trumpette here who claimed to put their house on trump winning in 2020?

Newworldorder or notobtuse?

drunkmonkey. He/she disappeared shortly afterward, or at least that particular username.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement