Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Maniac cops at it again, this time in LA.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Programmed Cops: "If you don't drop that cheeseburger immediately and kick it away from you we'll have no choice but to riddle you with bullets until you're no longer a threat"

Free-thinking Gardai: "You might as well eat that before it goes cold"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

That's because there are so many guns around for so cheap that every situation they enter there is a fair chance someone will be armed.

It's not the fault of the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I assume now that the video footage of this incident has been released the OP has apologised for using the term "causing a commotion" and has resolved to mend his ways and not go off half cocked in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"What I dont understand is the world's media constantly reporting every mistake US cops make....Gang violence in places like America is fairly hororrific. Ie literally thousands of dead a year. However that's largely ignored while the media report police shootings?"

Some people like and support gangs violence, must be lot of them in media unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I don't recall any incident where a Garda suspected somebody had a gun and tasered or shot at that person because of this suspicion.

There was an incident in Dublin where a guy was swinging a knife, vocally stating his intent to use it and was a clear and present danger to anyone around him.

The Gardai shot him. But that situation is different as it was clear there was a imminent danger to the people around him.

• Advertisement

Well that's completely different, in Ireland it's very unlikely anyone is armed except for very hardened criminals.

In the USA guns are everywhere there's always a fair chance someone might be armed, the very nature of this threat makes it a lot more likely for cops to panic and fire their weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

I could buy a gun off Snapchat and have it delivered in about 40 minutes to an hour and that's not an exclusive service. It's openly advertised.

Well good for you, but the average person in Ireland like myself do not have arms dealers on speed dial on snapchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

That's the point though, it's not exclusive and they're not ''arms dealers'' persay they're just your average drug dealer which your kid and everybody elses kids can access with ease. Hence saying only hardened criminal have access to guns here is just naive.

We're also a country where you can legally hold a firearm and many people do, both in Dublin and in the country so your just talking out of the side of your neck really.

Think back to the Blanchardstown siege there a while ago where that nut used two guns on the Gardai but had another one parked off in the shed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

Again with the apples and oranges comparisons on this thread.

Ireland is estimated to have 393,000 firearms (both registered and unregistered), the US has an estimated 430,000,000+ firearms. Population of Ireland is approximately 5 million, population of the US is about 330 million, meaning there are over 100 million more guns than people in the USA.

2 very different situations, no matter how good goes you are at using Snapchat you can't arm every single man woman and child in this country with enough guns left over to arm a third of the country again. That is why US police are more on edge than the Gardai.

• Advertisement

That's rubbish, even your average drug dealer does not have such easy access to guns, nor is he going to deliver one within 40 minutes unless he's your crack or heroin dealer?

Either way if you're not lying then chances are he's most likely talking out his ass to make himself look cool.

There is a small chance he does have a rusty old handgun buried in a field somewhere and he's trying to find someone stupid enough to buy it but it's very unlikely he actually sells guns.

I'm not talking out of my neck, I lived in Dublin my whole life I never knew of one person who owned a gun legally or illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Do you use the same line of excuse to justify the actions of the RUC and British forces in the North during the Troubles?

Certain posters love to find any excuse for US police officers, even in those very rare occasions where the law allows them to be convicted, yet I don't see them in threads about the North excusing what the British Security Forces did there.

How the hell is that argument valid? The United States is not disputed territory claimed by two countries, in Northern Ireland there was a viable alternative to the RUC/British army whose right to authority was highly disputed, please tell me what the alternative is to the US police? And despite what many people believe black people are actually accurately represented in the police force of the US whereas in Northern Ireland the RUC was 98% protestant who would prosecute you for as little as being in possession of the Irish flag which was illegal.

The vast majority of the most dangerous areas in the United States are predominantly black so it doesn't take a genius to work out why black people are being killed way more percentage wise than white people.

I'm tired of people in Ireland jumping on the bandwagon of hating the police which has been made popular by brain dead rappers and celebrities.

Your excuse for the actions of US police in these disgusting situations was the threat you believe they feel they face on a day to day basis. None of your above irrelevant points take away from the threat RUC officers felt on a day to day basis in the north during the Troubles, when they were far, far more at risk of ambush than any US police force is today. All your points did was to attempt to justify the threats the IRA posed, it doesn't take away the threat.

What I am tired of is the absolute hypocrisy of posters who suck up to US officers making excuse after excuse when their overreaction, biases, or unprofessionalism kill civilians or when they beat civil rights protesters while at them same time holding the opposite view of the British forces in the north when they acted in the same way - killing or beating civilian Catholics.

My point was that people should not be promoting hatred of the police, the vast majority of which are doing a NECESSARY job that every country needs, there is no alternative to the US police which is why it is completely different to hating the RUC and army in Northern Ireland as there was an immediate, viable and far better alternative to them.

Don't get me wrong, I have no love whatsoever for any members of the police who abuse their power and deliberately kill someone when there is little or no threat to their lives or others around them, but I in no way condone the hatred towards the police force as a whole, which are completely necessary for any country so why would anyone who is not a thug be promoting hatred like some of the people on this thread saying things like ''they are all scum'' and so on, what people should be advocating for is reform rather than promoting hatred for people doing one of the most important jobs for any country to survive.

There is no hypocrisy involved whatsoever, the job of the police in the USA is completely necessary whereas in Northern Ireland it was not necessary as there was another alternative to the RUC and army to make the logic of hating the police not moronic.

It seems like you very much condone the hatred of the RUC because you feel your own reasons are justified while completely disregarding how many might feel their own justification for hating the US Police. Whether you like it or not the RUC were the legitimate police force in the north during the Troubles and claiming there was an 'immediate, viable and far better alternative' than it is pure fantasy stuff, like someone claiming the street gang in a US city is an alternative to the US Police.

Your hypocrisy and that of other posters is clear, time and again you excuse the actions of US police and claim they shouldn't be judged as a whole for the actions of 'a few' while at the same time being disgusted by similar actions of the British forces in the north during the Troubles and tarring them all with the same brush.

Your reform point would make sense if the only group who was resisting reform wasn't the US Police themselves, with their Unions fighting every minor attempt at holding bad officers accountable and many protesting when bad cops are caught, ironically (and moronically) at the same time the same Unions fight vaccine and mask mandates that protect their members against a disease that is killing cops at a far higher rates than criminals ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

If policing is so easy and police officers should be infallible, you should have a go at being a cop. That'd be interesting.

There have been shootings in the past where the police have been wildly reckless or gun happy. Nobody is denying that. This incident isn't quite so clear. The guy was armed, had just seriously injured someone and the cops didn't know exactly what he was armed with. I've no problem with cops shooting someone who is armed and is a danger to them or others. Clearly this guy was a danger as he was actively flailing the fcuk out of someone with the bike lock a few moments earlier. It's just unfortunate that there was a ricochet (apparently) that killed the girl.

I also have no problems with RUC officers shooting people who are attacking them (even though if I lived in the North during the Troubles I would have likely been one of those attacking the RUC).

Training for cops could be better but it will never be perfect. Incidents where bullets ricochet or go through someone will always happen. The only hope is that with better training, those types of incidents will hopefully be reduced.

I am not sure how my calling out posters' hypocrisy regarding their response to questionable policing practices in the North and the US means that I should sign up to be a cop...

Should we be bringing back the RUC and its structure, leadership, approach, and reverse all the other changes to it since the implementation of the PSNI and instead advising 'more training' which is all that certain posters ever want for US cops after these sorts of regular instances?

Advertisement