Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costa Tassimo Coffee Pods Bursting

Options
  • 04-01-2022 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Anybody else having issues with the Costa Coffee Pods bursting in the Tassimo machine?

Had a few random one bursting over the last couple of weeks but today I had two in a row.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Yes!! My sister has a Tassimo and I drink americanos and a couple of the coffees I had with her over Christmas were moderately to excessively grainy. She thought it might be her machine but maybe it's the capsules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

WARNING: Bursting Pods can cause scalding.

Just discovered that these pods had a recall in Canada and problem appears to be widespread.

Just a warning to anybody using these pods The bursting can cause scalding if you are close by as hot water/coffee squirts out and spills around the machine.It will cause a right mess, staining adjacent cabinets/walls. Mine is a Bosch Tassimo machine. I have noticed previously that the taste can sometimes be a bit acrid, now suspect that it was caused by minor leaks with spent coffee going into the cup.

Awaiting a response from suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Those are different pods?

No, same pods. There are a variety of drinks other than coffee è.g. Milk, chocolate etc. but same pods used as for coffee. There are quite a few references to this problem you can find by “googling”

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That recall is ten years ago. There won't be any pods from that era still in the system. Most other references you'll find online are similarly ancient, so that specific issue would appear to be long gone.

I've had no issues, but I'd suggest you report it to the customer care number on the packaging

You have done cleaning and descaling cycles on the machine? Clogged components (from dirt or scale) could cause pressure problems

All the machines are Bosch btw, or at least all sold in the past decade and a half - very old units are Braun.

• Advertisement

https://howtodiscuss.com/t/why-do-tassimo-pods-explode/53130 (July 21)

Firstly apologies for posting an old link. However the two above are more recent and there are more if you have time to look.

So I can assure you the problem is not "long gone".

Good that you have had no issues, neither did I until recently. However see my comment about acrid taste so perhaps it has been there to a lesser extent. I have reported the issue to the customer support and I await their response which is promised within 10 days.

The machine is constantly cleaned and descaled. This is the second Bosch Tassimo machine I have had. I purchased the newer one because of the enhanced tank.

I am very familiar with the machine which in itself is not complicated. I am confident the issue is with the pods and not the machine.

This is a current and real problem. Only this morning we mad two coffees. One pod was fine while the second burst.

As you are user I would just caution you and any other user to be cautious.

• It could well be the machine tbh

if it’s pumping water into the pods at too high pressure or even flow rate they would just burst open.

If the machines only bought recently enough I’d look to replacing it as it just seems highly unlikely the pods are at fault.

like once in a blue moon you could chalk it up to a dodgy pod but multiple dodgy pods across a plethora of drink types?

sorry, but that sounds like the machine.

Yes. it could be the machine but I think that is very unlikely. The machine is well maintained so I see no reason why it would start increasing pressure or reduce/increase flow rate. It is not a recent purchase. I am only using Costa Americano no other drinks.

I believe it is inadequate sealing on the pod but I await a response from the customer care.

• A defect like that in the machine wouldn’t necessarily have to be caused by misuse/improper maintenance but my mistake I thought you mentioned using various pod types (milk drinks etc) but yeah it could be the pods equally if as you said they’re improperly sealed.

either way - I hope it gets sorted soon and you don’t have to keep cleaning up a giant mess when you want a cup of coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sunshine83

Hi Cerco,

Ive had that issue with the latte milk pods in the past. Make sure to keep the batch numbers of the packets that are bursting. I contacted Customer services and I had to send some samples back to them. In fairness they were very good and gave me vouchers to replace the ones that had burst. They are expensive enough without them exploding.🙂

• Advertisement

Thanks Sunshine83. That’s good to know that they refunded you. I have kept a few of the pods to return to them.

I am more confident now that they will follow up with me. They are expensive enough not to mention the mess they cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭p225886

Thanks am having this issue only with Costa Americano. Anyone have a link or address to send Pods back to?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭p225886

I would suggest you bring them back to the store where you purchased them. Posting them back to UK is a waste of time. and postage.

I decided to buy a different machine once we have used up our remaining capsules. No more coffee pods for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rocky42720

Yes I’m having problems with Costa Americano. I thought it was my machine so I threw it and bought a new one only to find it did it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rocky42720

It is the capsules.I thought it was my machine and threw it and bought a new one to find it did exactly the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I bought a new machine at Christmas and have had no problems since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

I had this issue a few weeks back too and customer support are supposed to be sending out vouchers for the faulty capsules. The issue is with the capsules and not the machine, there seem to be inclusions on the seals on the faulty batches of capsules - probably coffee after spilling over onto the sealing surface before the seal was made. You can actually see the inclusions if you follow along the seal of the faulty batches and almost 100% of those capsules I've tested since have burst in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tomanjam

I buy a variety of tassimo pods and only the Costa Americano are leaking, I would say some of them are exploding! I have bought dozens of packs (we stock up when they're going cheap). Its not the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

If the photo has attached properly, you can just see the inclusion in the seal on the white section bottom left of the capsule on the right. These only seem to have been in the faulty batches, I also buy a big stock when they're cheap and compared a good few batches.

If you check for these inclusions and set aside any boxes, or take photos of the outer foil and the cardboard inside box, as their customer support wanted photos of any faulty batches. I had already thrown out one box before realising how many it was happening with.

They were apparently going to send a voucher for replacing the faulty capsules (~3 boxes), but haven't gotten anything yet after almost a month...

• Advertisement
Advertisement