Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

I don’t know, maybe it’s just because like minded people tend to associate with each other, but most people I’m friendly with think this whole thing is a pile of shite. Especially since the Omicron variant has proved exceptionally mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So you're not agreeing with the image that you quoted now? Good to know for future reference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

Brought my daughter to McDonald’s today, as a treat before back to school. Had to queue out in the cold 15 minutes to show my pass before getting into a half empty McDonald’s. To top it off the McFlurry machine was broken. Load of bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

I was speaking to a young lad who has to do that, and for the cinema as well. 13, and you have to show a pass, can't get much more depressing than that. But, you'll have people saying it's just temporary. 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Emmanuel Macron is not dropping that Covid pass if he wins his election. The only thing keeping him in check is the election. If he wins it will be a full blown assault on anyone unvaccinated. The NPHET Government will do whatever the EU tell them to do.

Also if they give a date for dropping the vaccine passes. People will instantly stop taking the boosters.

They don't want to give out the impression that you can ride out the storm and not get vaccinated or booster 1/2. They have purchased vaccines for the next couple of years.

It's all out loon in here tonight 😁

The EU spent all last year telling NPHET to accept the fact that antigen testing works. To stop fining people for going to the airport with an intent to leave the country. NPHET are a law onto themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

It may not be closed down but it is crumbling, not enough teachers to teach our young, not enough doctors or nurses to treat our sick..no diagnosis for any ailment unless you have covid test first..

Palliative care was reduced..allowing our old to die without it.

Supply shortage of food etc..15-18% reduction in staff..was reported here during the week...and NOT BECAUSE OF OMRICON-Covid as a disease..as 96% of our cases are omricon and the majority of ICU is delta variant..

It's ALL because of the policies and rules in place..

And let's not even start about the social side of society..

It may not be fully closed down..but the fact they are changing the close contact rules..show that to prevent it happening they have to change the rules to keep society going..

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What’s the difference? In both situations your freedom is being denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

I see the covid cert to enter macdonalds a plus to combat obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

If they were for our health I'd agree. But they are not.

I haven't seen one advertisement from our HSE to encourage a more healthy lifestyle.. or to lose weight in this whole thing.

Shame though, cos this really was an opportunity to encourage people to be healthier.. to actually save lives and help the health service in the long run too.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

You have to have a positive PCR to get the cert no matter what affect it had on you.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭morphy87

Are the current restrictions in place till the 29th?

Are the meeting the 15 to review restrictions?

on a serious note when do you think they will announce if they are going to lift restrictions on the 29th? Surly they will give a week anyway if things are been lifted on the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Surely there'll be thousands in recent weeks unable to get a PCR isolating at home with a positive antigen and unfairly unable to attain a recovery cert?

Yep. It's a balls. My cert runs out on Saturday. I didn't use it anyway as I don't agree with them.

They have no intention on lifting restrictions on hospitality

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the 8pm thing will change. Hard to see people accepting that one continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Vintners were bought off with MUP. Now they have gotten it, they'll go all out for a full pub reopening.

If they don't then it shows they have zip influence anymore.

The other fellow Cummins at the Restaurants association comes across as a guy who has been promised a gig, possibly with the EU. His Twitter timeline is full of government retweets about non hospitality pro-government stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Irish public has accepted every restriction for the last 2 years. Don't think this will be the hill people will die on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They accepted it coming in, it was just as illogical today as it was then so whats makes you think they will say anything now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How will restricting a minority of people entering a McDonald’s do anything to combat obesity?

And surely it just prevents them from eating inside, but not from actually entering and buying their crap?

So more crap about restrictions for non-existent benefits. 🙄

In the original papers introducing the Covid pass the EU emphasised that this was to maintain freedom of movement within the EU and underlined (numerous times) how it would not be an obligation to vaccinate - this was explicitly ruled out - if you wanted to travel. You could get it from i) vaccination (6 months) ii) « recovered » (6 months) or iii) tested (PCR 72h, antigen 24h) - any of these 3.

Do you think there will be « forced vaccination » (I know you’re one of those people who think nothing is ever « forced » on the unvaxxed and that it’s all their own choice, but you know what I mean) this time around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I don’t see any nefarious conspiracy at all here. My reading of it would be that covid passes will stay for hospitality as NPHET believe that it’s a important measure to protect the health service.

The problem I have with that is that the covid vaccines and boosters for healthy people under 50 has next to no impact on the key metrics, hospitalisation and ICU. Then there’s the fact that transmission is possibly only barely reduced. The passes are useless. Everyone knows it. But they’ll stay.

Its all in tune with NPHET and their paternalistic ‘the public can’t be trusted, we know what’s best for them’ reasoning.

This kind of obstinacy and conservatism has defined NPHET for me. Blunt tools that provide both little benefit and high collateral damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Well observed re Cummins, he always played both ends of the pitch at the same time, outrage at restrictions whilst supporting government and of course blaming PUP for all his sectors problems, won't be long before he starts that nonsense again.

The deafening silence since early December from ALL of the representative bodies is astonishing, partly driven by generous government supports but also because in reality there was little business anyway due to closure by stealth and hysteria and its a particularly lean time in Hospitality.

Of course whilst the representative are happy, their members, particularly smaller one's are taking the brunt and debts mounting.

There's an apparent narrative, A sure it will be grand in a month or so, of course that's dillusional. I personally don't see a quick recovery, in fact I see a lot of full closures.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Since I originally posted that clown meme a few pages back, let me clarify that I don't believe there is any grand conspiracy for forced vaccinations. The meme is meant more as an ironic commentary on people like you, who denounce people's concerns at such measures as either unfounded or conspiratorial, even as we see the goalposts moving before our eyes. When a government brings in a brand new law that restricts peoples freedoms, the principle of 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence' should absolutely apply. In the case of the passes, zero evidence was provided for their usefulness at the beginning and zero evidence has been forthcoming since to show their effectiveness. This has been the case with most of the restrictions to be honest, but the passes are perhaps the most glaringly, unscientific and stupid of them all. You don't have to be a tinfoil hat wearing Alex Jones fan to see this.

Jesus..just thinking about the comments out of Macron there..

Like, how does he think it's acceptable to say stuff like that?..He knows a portion of the population have turned against another section..

It's actually frightening..

• Advertisement

It's disgusting and dehumanising really. It's somewhat reminiscent of some of the language that the far right used to come out with against Muslims during the 'war on terror' years.

Advertisement