Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,518 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's not just about deaths. It has never been just about the deaths. Where's your age breakdown for those who ended up in ICU? Hospital?

The boosters started pre-Omicron, where there was evidence of vaccines reducing transmission of previous variants such as Alpha and delta. Omicron picture is still emerging.

Some people received only a single dose of J&J vaccine for example, they may be more in need of boosting v Omicron than those who got double dose of mRNA. Ditto for those who received AZ early in the rollout.

Omicron may be less severe, but given how much more transmissible it is a numbers game. More people will get infected, and this creates a compound impact in transmission. Some small % of them will need hospital care among the under 80s \ no conditions cohort. The boosters are about reducing that % even further, and potentially having some impact on cases and transmission. It's a marginal gain for most people though, rather than the big jump in protection for vaccinated v unvaccinated.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bloopy

The last official figure I can find are from the hspc reports. The last report only goes as far as December 4. Was expecting an updated one to be released the last few days ( released every two weeks now after the change in report style in November).

No sign of the updated report yet but id imagine it will surely be released by the end of this week.

A detailed icu report was released yesterday but does not include vaccination break down. It does begin from the same date as the other reports so I am hoping they haven't changed again.

Frustratingly, the older report style was easier to read, was released weekly, and they were just one week out of date on the information.

The new style reports are released every two weeks and are two weeks out of date. If the next one is not released until Friday then it will be three weeks out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

One can only presume because the government took fright due to time of year and also wanting to keep up with our EU neighbours. Also there are vaccine stocks to use up and might as well be deployed now. It's very hard for individual citizens to make an informed decision now with the lack of clear information/ profiles on just who is actually ending up in hospital beds/ ICU. Just do as we say, seems to be the mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Boards is almost unmoderated for the last 6 months or so, which hasn't helped.

The result is many threads turn into unreadable crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's partly because the carefully developed moderation support tools got binned in the "upgrade". Mods are operating with one hand tied behind their backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I am really on the fence about the booster. I am late 20s, 4 months double jabbed with Pfizer. Some of my family members getting very upset that I've not booked the booster. I really am a little worried about it, I've taken a lot of vaccines before for various illnesses so that is not the issue. The issue is, none of them require a shot every 3 months. Also, as far as I can see I am healthy, not invincible, but I am double jabbed. Id happily take another vaccine next year, but 3 months? I'm 70-30 not taking it at the moment. Might speak to a GP to convince me.

In the end I'll be forced to take it for travel for work but 9 months is even a bit better than 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wouldn't be worried about the safety of it, but 4 months is very short from the time of the second dose. There is evidence that the initial vaccines should have been a 3 course regime anyway, but probably worth doing a bit of your own research rather than feeling pressured. It's going to have to be annual at some point, so think what makes sense to fit into that (if you think you're likely to get a booster/flu jab in the future anyway).

For what it's worth, effectiveness against omicron with a 3rd dose appears high.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I had my 2nd jab in June. Due to not being able to drive and being in a rural area I wasn't able to access the booster before the holidays, and planned to get it ASAP in the new year.

Unfortunately despite not socializing at all over the holidays I got covid symptoms Sunday night tested positive on antigen test monday morning.

The other person in my house was away for the weekend and returned on Sunday. We ate dinner sitting next to each other on the couch Sunday evening (just hours before I got symptoms - my throat got scratchy about 10 pm).

They had the booster 2 weeks ago and have no symptoms yet and tested negative this morning on antigen test. Also where I work most of the other people had the booster and none of them have come down with it, and I probably caught it from a customer at work unless I got it at the grocery store as I haven't been anywhere else.

You can make of that what you will, it's certainly no scientific study but IMO it seems getting the booster would have been possibly beneficial and I regret not pushing myself to make the appointment I had which was a whole county over and would have taken me all day 9 hrs in total between back and forth on the bus plus a taxi and waiting around but the ones around me who were close contacts with me that were boosted didnt get it and I did.

Astrazenica is feck all use vs Omicron it seems anyway after a few months according to articles and that's what i had. The dose i got this week felt exactly like the side effects of the 1st jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Your housemate isn't in the clear yet, they could still be in the incubation period as it's less than four days since they had contact with you.

They ought to be isolating or at least testing immediately before meeting anyone.

Two or three people I know have tested positive on day four or five after contact. All boosted, one also with a prior infection.

Antigen tests are really dodgy on days 3-5 when the viral load is on a step incline. They're a better tool for detecting the end of infectiousness than the start.

That's my anecdotes anyway. Hope you get better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I've just 'recovered' (barely any symptoms but positive pcr) from covid. Got the first two shots over the summer. Probably wasn't going to get the booster unless I absolutely had to anyway (family wedding in April there'd be war if I missed over no covid cert) so luckily I'll now be able to avail of a recovery cert for the first half of the year at least. No booster for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Why? He's not a medical Dr. He's got a PhD in education, it's embarrassing to pass yourself as a "Doctor" if you're not an MD.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I dont have a booster but I am fully jabbed.

I wont take any booster.

So from which date onwards will my current covid cert be invalid? i got my 2nd jab somewhere in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So when you said “Check out this man’s credentials” you knew he was a retired nurse? Is there something out of the ordinary in those credentials which are particularly relevant to Covid and the advice he is giving?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Whether he is a medical doctor or not is conveniently left hanging and you have to dig it out as against the clarity that is John Campbell PhD. Some love him, some dislike his contributions for a variety of reasons so it's fairly pointless defending him as you are. If you post his videos there is every chance someone will make a negative comment about them. It's the way of the world!

He seems reasonable, knowledgeable and spent his life in the caring industry. That is good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I got my booster December 23rd, completely wiped me out over Christmas and my 16yr old got hers on Wednesday, and she's the same, currently at home in bed!! But still glad we have it.

we've been lucky so far in both my office and my household, as nobody seems to have caught covid yet!! But it seems to be rampant at the minute, and anyone I know who caught it and is boosted said it was just like a bad cold, those who weren't boosted had it a bit tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

If you are uncertain I would put it out of your head until February - Wait for the Omicron wave to peak and subside. I know so many people that got a booster just before Xmas but also got Omicron within days of it - obvious they had already contracted Omicron but had not shown symptoms when getting the booster. If you do get Omicron in the meantime you will pick up natural immunity which is shown to be quite robust when combined with initial 2 dose vaccines. You are only 4 months since your double vaccination so you should still have a relatively high level of protection. The Moderna booster being administered in Vax centres at the moment also impacts people quite strongly (2-3 days of side effects) so bear that in mind too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Updated Covid travel certs to be issued this week (rte.ie)

In a tweet, Minister Stephen Donnelly said that the European Union is applying a maximum of nine months validity to certs "based on a completed primary vaccination course".

The new EU regulation on travel takes effect from 1 February.

The minister also said that people can request a Digital Covid Cert of recovery if they have recovered from Covid-19 in the last six months.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If you're not an MD, passing yourself off as a Dr. is wrong. I really don't care what his real world experience is; he's not an MD and shouldn't pretend to be one by using the sobriquet "Dr." Better "Ed.D" or something like that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Campbell_(YouTuber)

Plus he might've obliquely recommended Ivermectin at one point. Not good.

Good to see South Africa is over the peak of Omnicron and it had only a very small effect on hospitalisations and deaths. As South Africa has only 30% vaccinated, getting a booster now in Ireland does not make sense unless you have underlying health conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Not a chance I am getting any of these ‘boosters’. If you are 40 or less and in good health I don’t see the point and it may do more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭corkie

@Igotadose

Plus he might've obliquely recommended Ivermectin at one point. Not good.

New Pfizer drug and ivermectin

That video was fact checked on FB by journalist and he responded with fact checking who was doing it.

Alternative facts

Not getting into arguments over Doctor credentials for none GP's.

Contracted "Dr" or "Dr.", it is used as a designation for a person who has obtained a doctorate (notably PhD). In many parts of the world it is also used by medical practitioners, regardless of whether they hold a doctoral-level degree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_(title)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Got my booster. Was in a few minds about it but said as I already have two jabs then I may as well finish it out.

I don't think I will get any more though (if ever recommended).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Apogee

Today's figures from HSE - unvaccinated remain at higher risk of ICU.

Today's figures from HSE - people with underlying health conditions remain at higher risk of ICU.

Are the current people in ICU with Delta or Omnicron? How many are in ICU because of Covid or for another reason though with Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Predominantly Delta in ICU and based on the fairly steady pattern of COVID ICU cases they need to be there for COVID.

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭timmyntc

be interested to know how many of those patients are in ICU long-term.

Many vulnerable people contracted covid and were admitted to ICU before vaccines were available, I wonder if any are still in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think it is fair to say that most people who observe someone giving medical information or advice whilst referring to themselves as “Dr”, would assume they are a Dr of medicine. And I suspect when Eddie said “look at his credentials”, he assumed the same, I’m not sure being a retired nurse carries the same credential gravity as medical Dr when discussing Covid. Of course I could be wrong, Eddie may well find Dr John’s credentials impressive.

This reminds me of one of my favourite scenes in The West Wing where a Dr is less than honest about qualifications to give medical/psychological advice.

https://youtu.be/Q1qkU2v_BhY

Advertisement