Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheCrank

Got word this evening that my child's secondary school is only open for 3rd and 6th years tomorrow and Friday due to a staff shortage. Seems like a sensible call to me but I'd love to know what the teachers have been at for the last two weeks. Half of them have already been out with covid during the Autumn term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Are you for real with a comment like that?

Do you think that of everyone in the country who is either positive or isolating tomorrow?

The absolute cheek of you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Couple of relatives who are teachers giving out stink on whatsapp at the moment. Saying parents treat school as a glorified babbysitting service. Well duh. Its part and parcel of schools. They arent happy at all. Apparently to do with safety. One of them on a foregin holiday with his kids over Christmas. LOL. Chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Ah, the infamous boards.ie poster/s coming on here and listing imaginary WhatsApp messages throughout this pandemic! It's as reliable now at this stage as death and taxes!

Ah yeh.

I should have done a Tony Holohan on it and referred to the whatsapps as anecdotal instead. That would make it much more believable.

• Advertisement

So true. Can't wait to hear about it in 6 weeks time when I'm about to go back to work after yet another week off for Feb midterm

If your still around by then. What with the schools being such a scene of carnage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Spent the last week doing this tortured calculation.1 pos, 2 neg here.

The HSE were telling people 17 days isolation on the phone.I haven't spoken to them myself, missed their calls and no way to call them back.BUT.....this is not what is written on their website.In addition, I have received 2 emails from the school today, one quoting the HSE's advice direct from their site, the other a letter forwarded on by the principal from the Acting Director of Public Health in the HSE.Both say isolate for 14 days, get a PCR on Day 0 and Day 10 and if both are negative, they are ok to leave isolation. I've added the link below, I am not sure how old your kids are.

I do not know why the advice on their website contradicts what they are saying on the phone, because I know they are saying 17 days to people with kids.But as far as I can see, the correspondence I have received so far mentions 14 and 10 days, so I am going with that.The obvious struggle being the part where you have get two PCR tests for them🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheCrank

I am entirely for real. What's the problem with my comment? It's unfortunate that so many staff are ill or isolating and I wish them well. The school has made a good call in prioritising the exam years. I am also wondering how so many of the staff came to be in this position at the same time. It seems a normal thing to ponder. My sister-in-law's house came down with it and after the initial concern and well wishes the first thing that was asked was how did they get it? I'm confused by your outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Missing because they're isolating or parents don't want to send them in?

Our class whatsapp have a good few kids out, but other parents stressing over whether they should send their own kids back tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

I feel your pain! We were the same before Christmas, one positive and two negative. I was told on the phone the 17 days and couldn't believe it. Was the first time I had heard of it but as a previous poster said a few days ago I was told 17 days because I wasn't isolating my child with covid. Think if we had put him in a room it would have bee the day 1 test and day 10 test.

Might have changed because I also received emails from our school this eve giving the same info you just mentioned. Honestly the 17 days was so hard no way will I do it again.

Just to add I think the hse website has been updated. I definitely read 17 days when we were going through it in early Dec. I couldn't believe the contact tracer and had hoped I'd get different info from the hse.

Pity you missed the calls because they automatically send you your day 1 and 10 test appointments. Hope you are nearing the end of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I'm not sure to be honest. I didn't ask, I would assume a mix of both.

Oh, my sincerest apologies. I read your post all wrong. I thought you were being really ignorant and doing the usual 'jealous 9-5er who takes their own unhappiness with their work/life balance out on teachers' routine.

I thought you were suggesting that teachers might have been visiting family or doing their shopping or maybe even going to the pub or getting a few Christmas presents and that you disapproved of this, in a way that would mean that you are of unsound or of no mind and all.

But I was wrong. You care. You're a good guy. I'm sure they teachers will be delighted to get those well wishing emails from you in the morning or you might even pop in a card to the school

Fair play to you

You've actually made me wonder and now I too am curious - what it is your sister in law and the whole family were getting up to to end up with it too?

Post edited by Bananaleaf on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

My family had PCR tests today. Myself and my husband had positive antigens and I got my kids tested too incase we test positive! Would today be their day 0 and then another test on day 10? So they can return to school on the 17th...its a nightmare! They haven't classic cold or flu symptoms either but had a couple of things wrong with them in the last week that could be covid related!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ah well, I had already got the Day 1 tests sorted privately myself because it was Christmas and the HSE was a mess so...🙄And we actually just got private tests today for Day 10 (actually Day 13 since the first pos antigen) and are still neg.But I can't be shelling out this much money if this happens again.Whole thing has been a very expensive farce tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Think it depends. My son was asymptomatic when he tested positive on an antigen. By the time he had the PCR and it came back positive he had symptoms. So the tracers said day 1 was from when he had symptoms if he remained asymptomatic day one would have been the day his antigen was pos. So for you it will depend on your circumstances if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Yea I hear you! My kids are currently fine but have had one off vomiting and tummy issues in the last week. Oldest complaining of head and ear ache today....these are all symptoms! So who knows really! But we shall see what happens with our test results first! Its so hard to keep track of all the information

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I really don't get this mindset of stressing about tomorrow.

The numbers and the risk are going to be no different next week, or the week after. Unless these parents want to keep their kids in the house for weeks on end in a 2020-type lockdown their worrying is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Best wishes to all teachers , SNAs and kids . Lets hope they can stay in school and manage the disruption as best they can . Its not easy but life is not easy for us all at the minute so we muddle through as best we can . Most adults will be putting kids first throughout all this and know how vital it is to keep them as safe but as stable as we can . Thier well being is vital so we plod along and do out best for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Both of ours (1 Primary, 1 Secondary) gone back today. Both fully vaccinated and wearing FFP2 Masks so hoping for the best.

Primary has managed to get enough Subs to open all classes. Not sure on the Secondary but our son's Year are in anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thanks - that was 100% my reading of it too. The only issue I had was when does the 10/14 days start. E.g. you get a runny nose on a Tuesday, you do an antigen on the Wednesday - thats positive lets say, you then apply for a test - you dont do the test until Friday or Saturday, results come through on Sunday or Monday, nearly a week after symptoms begin. In the mean time there are close contacts in the house. When does their 10/14 days begin......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The other thing that confuses me on this - why is the isolation period longer for children than adults.

For adults it seems to be 5 days, and thats it, assuming a negative PCR. Double for kids? Thats the reason I asked the question - I could see the 10/14 days on the HSE website, just couldnt see when it was supposed to begin, and was also wondering why it hadnt been adjusted down in line with adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

It's 5 days for anyone with a booster, 10 days without the booster. Very few (if any?) kids have a booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

My kids are not gone back today as they are close contacts of a positive last week - so they are isolating. Hopefully they will be able to go back on Monday next

On a positive note I want to praise one of my kids teachers ( primary school ) - She sent a message this morning to all parents listing what she would be covering in school today. She said she will do this every school day for the month of January ( and review it then for Feb) to help kids who are sick or isolating at home. I wasnt expecting this at all and it is truly so helpful. I wasnt a fan of the basic email during lockdowns but in this case I am so grateful of it. It will also encourage parents to follow the rules and keep their kids at home if showing symptoms. For me it takes away the worry that the kids are missing out on their schoolwork while off - we will get all the work covered at home today. I have already decided that I will be giving her a voucher for a meal or takeaway at the end of the month as a thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think its because most kids are not vaccinated. I agree though it is frustrating - my kids have to isolate longer than my husband who was positive which does seem crazy. The kids are perfectly well showing no symptoms but we have to follow the rules.

Kids have had to put up with alot over this pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's complicated and depends on age. The HSE website says

Children under the age of 13 who are in contact with a confirmed case of COVID 19 in a non-household setting do not need to restrict their movements or get a PCR test unless they are told to by the HSE or they have symptoms of COVID-19. They can attend school, childcare and other activities as normal.

If over 13 then booster more than 7 days before HSE contact means reduced isolation, as does positive PCR within 3 months.

It's all here: https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/contact-tracing/if-your-child-is-a-close-contact/

My 16 y/o in TY is boosted but still within the first 7 days.

Kids of age 13, 14, 15 are slightly in limbo since they can't get a booster but also can't avail of the reduced requirements of under 13 y/o.

If my 13 y/o (who is in JC year) has to miss a couple of weeks of school I won't be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So, my kids secondary school has handed back contact tracing to the HSE since the beginning of this academic year.

In practice, this means that contact tracing has to happen through the parents of a positive PCR testee.

The question is: even if they have some phone numbers, who in their right mind is going to give out these details to the HSE, knowing the consequence to be that someone's child is going to be asked to miss up to a week and a half of school just because they were in the same class?

If my child tested positive I would let them (the child) contact other kids in their class, and leave it to the other kids+parents to decide how to handle it. I don't even think I have any of the parent's phone numbers, and even if I did I wouldn't be giving them out without consent.

Zero sense to half of it.

We took the positive antigen as a "marker".For bureaucratic sake for the neg kids, we counted ten days from their "Day 0 " PCR (even though it was actually Day 4 after the antigen),to get their Day 10 test, just so we could show texts from two dates 10 days apart.In reality their Day 10 test was 13 days after the pos antigen.

I had to bring the positive child to a doctor at the weekend, and speaking to two doctors, they both counted and referred to the positive antigen as the "first" day.They didn't care about the PCR dates.In reality she had a symptom the day before the positive antigen (diarrheoa) but I guess the antigen is a definitive thing you can point to.

I am being harassed with texts from the HSE here reminding me of the dates my two negative kids must isolate until.Since I filled out the close contact form late, they are counting 14 days from the date I said there was last contact.So they appear to be using 14 days also.Their calls to me were 7 days too late, so they are totally out of sync with my actual test dates for the kids.

17 days...I haven't notion.They need to be more consistent with their advice.

Funny now, because in the case of our school, the principal emailed to notify parents of the cases and then the parents of the sick kids followed up on the whatsapp group themselves to say what days what child had tested positive on antigens.When my own child tested positive I told parents myself via the Whatsapp.I was not giving their contact details to the HSE to be harassing them (a week too late most likely) with text messages about testing.They all had access to antigens via the principals emails, and obviously quite a few ordered them.

It really depends on the circumstances -I mean we had a positive here on a Friday, no test til a Sunday, close contact texts on a Tuesday - they were already 5 days late, and everyone had known since the Friday already, so in that case I just didn't see the need to involve the HSE. Although I fully appreciated not everyone behaves the same .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Breaking news! Norma Foley has confirmed the implementation of medical grade face masks in schools will be..... kept under review. No rush there minister. 🙄

Between the contact tracing mess, the blatant lies about transmission and not even providing proper ppe for the teachers, I'm not surprised they cant get staff for this term.

Shambles

Advertisement