Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I think that there are precious few of us here who will have payback under 10 years. I'm assuming that the majority who will have bought at around €1k per 1kWp are around 12 years payback ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I think one has to assume some level of above average inflation in electricity costs over the next 10 years. If a home is already A-rated and very efficient then the exposure to such increases is already reduced. If your usage is above average the maths probably look better than 10 years. Will do my own calcs again in the next few weeks.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I reckon like graememk I'll be sub 10 years. Probably 8-9. Couple of things things going for me.

• I bought very close to the €1K per 1Kwp (on the good side of it)
    • I have pretty high consumption, 30+ units /day. So I can cycle fully my battery easily every day. In winter that gives me €1/day (€0.98 to be exact) just using battery to give night rate during the day,
    • and of course in Summer, with the high consumption rate, most of the energy put into the battery from solar will be consumed during day rate hours (till midnight) so my self-consumption % will be high. Very high.

None of that fancy FIT nonsense for me! Batteries for the win! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Hi all, can anyone recommend companies to get quotes off in the cork area? Also has anyone ever used wizer energy in midleton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I know one of the Boardies just signed up with them and the sound very happy with the quote and advice they got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I estimated around 11 years for payback, although that was before I added the DIY batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

So which is it then? Growing weed or mining Bitcoin?? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've not accounted for an ev at this point in time, have a 2020 petrol which may get kept at pcp end in 2023, or switch to hybrid or similar then - need capacity to do occasional cross country loaded with camping stuff and bikes.

I laughed out loud at that. For reals!!

It's mining, growing weed takes too much power, I only have single phase coming into the house. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Yes they installed for me this week panels up in half a day, lads were spot on. Back again today for the wiring up of battery and install. Martin is always on the phone for any questions I had. They've put up a much as the regs for getting grant will allow so 3.4kw for now with 2.4kw battery but I've asked for double that. All in 11k that's 9 panels with 3 more to go on later, a 5kw inverter and now 4.8 battery. Grant will hopefully be 2400 or 2600.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Just to add that quote was 2.5k under other quotes I got. Will update once everything up and running.

Slightly different one here;

7.5kw longi panel

SolarEdge Energy Bank 10kWhYa

SE5000H solar edge wave inverter (which I think is a hybrid)

10300 euro after grant.

This is one of my better quotes.

What is the approach to inverter sizing and should I be looking at 6kw inverter instead of 5kw?

do these power bank batteries present a problem for DIY extension later? I’d imagine i will never go above 10kw if I get an EV, but I want to be future proofed given the asset cost

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

That looks like a good quote especially looking at the price of that battery alone!

I would certainly be pushing for the 6kw inverter, not much difference in price.

I'd be inclined to pull the trigger on that quote. One of the few recently which matches the formula. See if you can get a SE6000H, it's only €150-200 more. E.g

SOLAREDGE | Europe-solarstore

You won't be in any trouble by the way with a 5Kw and 7.5Kwp in panels as the inverter will only "pull" (for lack of a better word) up to it's max, so in theory you could put 20Kwp of panels up there and you'd still be safe with a 5kw inverter, but of course, you potentially could be missing production with 7.5Kw and a 5Kw inverter. Of course that would also depend on your orientation, for example if it was an east/west split it's unlikely you'll get the full 7.5Kw, but a smaller figure for longer during the day. bBut in any case, you'll future proof yourself for when you get more panels :-)

But yeah, good quote that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mosney

Hi,

Received this quote yesterday, leaving everything here verbatim from the email.

"As a follow up to my first email and your original enquiry please find detailed below 2 quotes that may be suitable for your needs. This is quite a large system (6.3kWp) and you should expect an annual generation of close to 6000kWh/year. You mentioned that you have a ground source heat pump so I therefore assume that you have a night rate tariff, for this reason I am going to suggest that you give consideration to Option #2 as it have a larger battery (10.1kWh), the Alpha Inverter/Battery system can be set up so you can charge the battery(s) from the grid at the night rate tariff giving to reduced priced power during the winter months when the PV is at its lowest output.

Option #1

Battery System (Alpha) with 5.7kWh Battery Storage

6.38kWp of modules kitted to a 5kW Inverter

17 x Bisol Dulpex 375w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

PV Mounting system on a Ground Mount Structure

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switch Gear

Alpha 5 kWp Inverter kitted to 5.7kWh storage capacity

Costing

€12700(inclusive of VAT)

-€3,000 (Grant)

€9,700 Final cost after grant incentive

Option #2

Battery System (Alpha) with 10.1kWh Battery Storage

6.38kWp of modules kitted to a 5kW Inverter

17 x Bisol Dulpex 375w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

PV Mounting system on a Ground Mount Structure

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switch Gear

Alpha 5 kWp Inverter kitted to 10.1kWh storage capacity

Costing

€14500(inclusive of VAT)

-€3,000 (Grant)

€11,500 Final cost after grant incentive

OPTIONAL EXTRAS

Alpha 10 Year Inverter Warranty Extension: €200 (Recommended)

Additional 5.7kWh battery: €2000 (Option #1 Only)

Additional 10.1kWh battery: €3600 (Option #2 Only)

A BER is required after the work is complete and is not covered on the cost detailed above.

Qualification for the grant is dependent on the house being built before 2011 and attaining a ‘C’ rating on the BER after the PV installation is complete.

*NOTE: Planning laws presently state that systems greater than 12m2 (7 panels) required planning approval. SEAI do not require this to qualify for the grant.

Note: Your battery system is a grid tied product and does not generate power for your home in the event of a grid power outage.

Warranties:

Bisol Duplex Module: 15 Year Limited Product Warranty/25 Year limited Power Output Warranty (>85%).

Alpha Inverter and Battery Storage System: 5 Year Product Warranty/10 Year Performance Warranty. And an expected design life of in excess of 10000 cycles

2 Year warranty on the labour associated with the installation."

Firstly fair play to them for mentioning the "small print" about 12m2 in surface area. No one (and I mean NO ONE) takes any notice of it by the way, but also mentioning up front that you won't have power in the house in a power cut. it's a misconception that many people have (including myself) when I first started looking at solar. Also, their estimation of "close to 6000 units" from a 6.3Kwp isn't lies, assuming your directly south facing.

If your not south facing expect closer to 5,000 units.

The quotes aren't bad. I think you might be able to get for about €1K cheaper, but your pretty close here. I wouldn't feel that I was robbed with either of these.

I noted that you are "ground mounted". Is there a capacity to change the angle of the panels with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Assuming this is the same company I used (based on the fact its Alpha and Bisol 😃) , they can modify your system to allow it use battery power or battery and solar in a power outage but will cost extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mosney

Hi, thanks for the reassurance the quote is at least reasonable! I went for this as we have full south facing sunlight there all day with no shade, from the pictures I've seen it looks like there's no option to swivel or pivot them.

I would enquire about that, being able to change the angle that is. It doesn't really matter so much in summer as most of us have an over abundance of generation, but in winter if you could angle the panels at 20 deg from the vertical plane, you'd probably boost your production by 20-30%.

Not a deal breaker though - but something to at least ask about if it's possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody able to clarify how long it takes for Enniskillen lads to offer a quote?

How long are you waiting?

At this stage we could have a bloody good guess.

€10900

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I went from first call to quote in less than a week, and install 3 weeks later iirc.

They're mental busy now though but just give them a call again.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Which spreadsheet is that? I see a Google Sheets one for generation per month per user, not one with quotes to compare against. That would be helpful.

correction to previous, it was a 5kw battery, 10kw appeared in other documentation. The extra 5kw would be 3900 on top.

7.5Kw of panels, no battery under 8k though, which is highly competitive.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Its in there, check the other tabs in the Google sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I rang them on the 23rd December 2021 AM.I was talking to the head man.

I had forwarded all the relevant details the previous evening.He told me I'd have a quote that evening.

I resent the email on Tuesday and followed up with call.I was talking to somebody else and he stated that they never received the initial email which I found bizzare.

TBF I'm sure they are crazy busy and we're barely over the Christmas period.

I've a zoom call with NRG Panel tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fael

I rang them before christmas as well. Rang in the afternoon, had a quote in the evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement