Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG TV Freesat and saorview

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭decor58

darragh_k wrote: »
    I found this "Freeview Play" Catch up service when I looked at the TV Guide for Antenna channels.
    It wasn't there for the list of satellite channels

I can't view any of these programmes from here either though. Would be class if it worked.
    Freesat puts the channels in order, gives you 7day epg, auto updates, with Free to Air you wouldn't get any of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

ITV player and BBC iPlayer are geo-blocked in Ireland. They check your IP location and will only let you use them if you are in the UK. There are ways around this.

Freeview is the UK equivalent of Saorview. You'd need to pick up the UK terrestrial signal to get it to work so would need to be in the UK or close to the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

Thank you both. Figuring this out as I go along but it's a much better setup now from what I have learned in this thread.

Are we allowed to talk about ways around the ITV / BBC iPlayer thing on boards.ie?

No?!

I'm afraid not

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasper1422

Hi.
    I just bought a 43NANO796NE. I am trying to set up the free sat.I have picked 28.2 degree satellite. I can't get a signal. What lnb and transponder should it be set to ?
    I have tested the cable and it's working fine on my free to air box.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

jasper1422 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I just bought a 43NANO796NE. I am trying to set up the free sat.I have picked 28.2 degree satellite. I can't get a signal. What lnb and transponder should it be set to ?
    I have tested the cable and it's working fine on my free to air box.

Thanks in advance

To get Freesat, the TV's country must be set to UK. You will then be prompted to enter a Postcode to determine which region of BBC and ITV you want

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasper1422

To get Freesat, the TV's country must be set to UK. You will then be prompted to enter a Postcode to determine which region of BBC and ITV you want

Thanks . I'll try that

jasper1422 wrote:
    Thanks . I'll try that

Freesat is just organisation of the channels and the guide. You should still pick up the satellite channels anyway (UK setting or otherwise).

It should all be automatic really

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Am looking at a Hisense Roku TV from argos 422 euro but it doesn't have a freesat HD tuner.

I will want to get satelite at a later date. What issues would it not having a Freesat Tuner be and how much will it cost me.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Am looking at a Hisense Roku TV from argos 422 euro but it doesn't have a freesat HD tuner.

I will want to get satelite at a later date. What issues would it not having a Freesat Tuner be and how much will it cost me.

Thanks.

It could have a satellite tuner without having the Freesat proprietary software/firmware.
    Many of us do not use a Freesat 'compatible' receiver.

If it has a satellite tuner you will have no problems receiving all Free to Air satellite channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Thanks.

This one?
    https://hisense.co.uk/tvs/all-tvs/b7120/

...only has a terrestrial tuner so needs a separate box via HDMI to get satellite channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

FLOOPER wrote: »

Thanks.

No real issues not using Freesat. Having Freesat is good for convenience.

The channels will be there but you wont get a 7 day EPG and if any channels changes transponders you will need to update this manually.

On the flipside there are some channels FTA on satellite that are not on Freesat. Channel 4 HD being the more notable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cassidco

Hi All,

I've set to UK (including UK postcode) and auto-tuned in satellite with freesat box ticked - it finds everything as expected. When I go to any channel I get an 'invalid service' message on the screen. Does anyone know what I can to do to be rid of that message and be able to watch?

Thanks.

cassidco wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've set to UK (including UK postcode) and auto-tuned in satellite with freesat box ticked - it finds everything as expected. When I go to any channel I get an 'invalid service' message on the screen. Does anyone know what I can to do to be rid of that message and be able to watch?

Thanks.

When you scanned for Freesat, did it find 130 odd TV channels and 40 odd radio channels?

Also, what comes up when you select channel 999?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Our of curiosity (and need once I get my dish set up) - setting up Freesat in RoI what UK post code would make most sense ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It depends on which region you want. I always use SW11AA for London. I believe thats Buckingham Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Stone wrote: »
    Our of curiosity (and need once I get my dish set up) - setting up Freesat in RoI what UK post code would make most sense ??

As above, I use either E1 1AA for London or BT1 1AA for Northern Ireland. There's no major difference, so up to you really. The papers I think show the Northern Ireland channels in TV listings if that's important to you.

Stone wrote: »
    dulpit wrote: »
    There's no major difference, so up to you really

The UK Postcode determines which region of BBC One (101) and BBC Two (102) and whether you want UTV/ITV/STV (103)

You can test it here https://www.freesat.co.uk/tv-guide

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cassidco

When you scanned for Freesat, did it find 130 odd TV channels and 40 odd radio channels?

Also, what comes up when you select channel 999?

Thanks for the reply mackers. I've resolved this today. The problem was that Sky replaced the LNB on the satellite dish with a specific Sky Q LNB. I've now replaced it with a Hyrbid LNB that can cater to Sky Q and FTA. Freesat working like a dream (also went with a London postcode) and I've quick access set up to switch between Saorview channels and Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

Hey everyone,

I've been having trouble getting Freesat on an LG UN73 Smart TV I recently bought.

I followed instructions on here, set it to UK but now get the 'Invalid Service' message when I try to view the channels.
    All the Irish channels are working fine and are up around the 800's.

Not sure where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

tommyq94 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I've been having trouble getting Freesat on an LG UN73 Smart TV I recently bought.

I followed instructions on here, set it to UK but now get the 'Invalid Service' message when I try to view the channels.
    All the Irish channels are working fine and are up around the 800's.

Not sure where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Assuming your satellite signal is ok

The only thing I can think of is that the TV is somehow detecting that you're not in the UK and is locking you out

It seems a mean thing for it to do but other people have mentioned problems with LG TV's

If you disconnect it from the internet it shouldn't be able to figure out where it is and so the Freesat should work but this may cause other problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

athlone573 wrote: »
    Assuming your satellite signal is ok

The only thing I can think of is that the TV is somehow detecting that you're not in the UK and is locking you out

It seems a mean thing for it to do but other people have mentioned problems with LG TV's

If you disconnect it from the internet it shouldn't be able to figure out where it is and so the Freesat should work but this may cause other problems.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I just realised I still had the ethernet cable in while I was scanning for channels so that might have something to do with it. I'll take it out and try again.

I might add that all the channels were found under the Antenna category when I did the scan and 0 channels were found under Satellite.

I know it works fine downstairs on a Walker TV with a Saorview box, although I have to switch between them using EPG I think it is?

I might have to get someone out to have a look..

tommyq94 wrote:

Set it to Ireland first and scan satellite to make sure your signal is ok. If that fails to find any channels, it's a signal problem from the dish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Struggling a little with a 5 year old LG and getting channels. If I select the three versions of the Astra it pulls in over 1,100 channels, many duplicates or blanks. Guide is pretty much useless too. If I pick Astra 19.2 it brings in 300+, but again, not very useful. Channel 4 as number 1, but blank. Occasionally too, some of the Saorview channels disappear and have to be retuned. Not sure if this is the weather.

Have a much newer and smaller LG in a bedroom, but there's no dish cable in the room only an antenna. Yesterday, as an experiment, I took the newer TV downstairs and scanned for channels. It only found 19.2 Astra, but everything was much smoother, useful guide.

Apart from this, what is the story with IP channels that are coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mr321

I've a freesat TV a few years now and a sky dish with a double cable going to what was once a sky box.

The TV has only 1 connection port for freesat so can and how do I use the sky dish & cable that was a double?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If it was a non-SkyQ dish just connect one of the sat cables to the TV. The other is redundant.

If it was used with a SkyQ box the LNB on the dish may have to be replaced if it has 2 outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mr321

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

Did you ever get sorted? I'm having the same issue.

Advertisement