Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

"No wind": Oulu is a port city on the mostly northerly stretch of the Baltic Sea. It certainly has winds, and cold ones at that.

"No rain": They actually get more rain than they get snow.

"No hills": Elevations within the city are above 30m at a number of points. In comparison, Threadneedle Road tops out at 35m.

"We’re also not told if that is an extremely quiet shared space, or a Greenway." It's a 'light traffic' route, part of a network that covers the whole city.

"So not really that relevant or comparable to Galway." It is relevant insofar as it shows that, given high quality facilities, cycling will happen all year round in spite of crappy weather. I've visited Finland multiple times and lived and worked in similar climates for many years. I can give you a 100% assurance that Galway on a windy and rainy day is still a lot more comfortable weather wise for cycling than having a freezing Baltic wind blowing at you in -20C. Because they have safe routes to get to and from school, 30% of primary school children in Oulu cycle to school all year round. Sure, more cycle during the warmer months and switch to bus or car when it gets colder, but enough still cycle consistently to make it worthwhile to provide for them and benefit from the reduced motor traffic that results.

I cycle east to west, 8km each way, and can relate to that totally. The number of days that it rains is one thing but the number of days that it rains during the 30 minutes I'm cycling is much smaller. I've been in the office a bit less over the last year, because we've been on partial work from home arrangement, but over the course of the year I've only arrived at work once and regretted not having a spare pair of trousers with me to change out of the wet ones I'd arrived in. Over the same time I've chosen to drive on just one occasion because I thought the winds were to dangerous cycling. The only other thing that might stop me cycling is very icy roads. I got a lift with my bike once for the first 3km of my journey a few weeks back, to get past a stretch that doesn't get gritted, and then cycled the rest of the way.

I'm in a more casual environment now but I used to be in office where a formal appearance was expected. I just left some suits at work and brought in fresh shirts with me each day. Some larger employers in newer buildings have showers available so you can do that when you get to work rather than before you leave home.

For every reason given why people won't want to cycle in Galway, or why certain circumstances will prevent people cycling, there are people who are already cycling despite those circumstances.

But it's the same people who are actually cycling on the roads everyday as part of the various school cycle-busses, or just cycling to and from their own places of work, shops etc. Those aren't bicycles that just come out of the shed once a month. Some of those bicycles, especially the cargo bikes and electric bikes, and even electric cargo bikes, have actually been bought as a replacement for a car. A real example of bicycles being able to improve the overall traffic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Hi all, does anyone know of any (Galway specific or general) studies that show what proportion of commuters, or visitors, would change transport mode if an alternative was offered?

I firmly think bus lanes, cycle lanes etc are all really important and should be prioritised, but I'd be interested in knowing how many people would actually change?

I'd be the first on a park-and-ride if one was available (and using currently non-existing bus lanes), but when I think of the people I work with I can imagine many of them simply continuing to use our handy city centre car park.

Am I right in thinking there is a proportion of people who could but never will never use a bus or bike (as transport, not recreationally) no matter how amazing the facilities are?

• Advertisement

Yeah a certain percentage would never change but they'll eventually be replaced with generations that see public or active travel as the default for moving around the city.

Many of my colleagues would not consider getting onto a bus in Galway, but when they visit other cities they embrace public transport. It needs to be improved to be the "better" option and not a compromise. It needs to be reliable, convenient, comfortable and faster.

Yeah Park and Strides (as opposed to just P&R's) are sorely lacking and will see some change modes when they come.

However, and this is a massive caveat, they will not succeed to any degree if the associated bus and active travel infrastructure is not also brought in to allow for efficient, reliable and safe mobility.

Sure there will always be a % who will not leave their car, but associated measures will see that number drop as parking charges increase, parking availability decreases, workplace parking levys come in and further infrastructure is rolled out for other modes.

Since selling my car I now travel to Galway by bus or train, grab a bus or a bike share in Eyre Square and head to where I need to go. Its easily done and saves me an obscene amount of money annually.

One major thing that needs to happen is bus frequency needs to drop below 10 mins on all routes for their full operating hours. Once that happens, the timetable doesn't matter anymore and it becomes the most convenient choice for a lot who want to reduce their costs.

Another is integrated ticketing. I have a leap card, and bike share cards for Galway and Dublin. Its a PITA and it would work a lot better if leap covered everything from train to bus to bikes and luas.

I also concede that the whole leap card system has bizarrely been designed to be as awkward as possible in terms of getting the card, topping up, and don't get me started on the auto top up rigmarole.

Thankfully these things are getting sorted which will remove these pain points.

Convenience is the key aspect they have to get right. If it's more convenient to use the car, then that's going to be the choice of the majority

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Trying to provide link to NTA website but keeps timing out -

This is for cycling, not all modes. It's a bit of a faff to work out but shows potential for cycling

Concerns raised by doctors group about the lunacy of the proposed ring road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Having actually lived in Amsterdam for year and Aarhus for 8 months there are very big differences...

Population density: Amsterdam has about 4 times Galway while Aarhus has twice officially... Living in those cities you find feels much higher...

Weather: You absolutely joking if you think they have the same climate. They are both drier with rainfall especially in the summer coming more in Thunderstorm / downpours rather than our more constant longer periods. But big difference is wind, Ireland and especially Galway is far windier and with its low pop density, far more exposed...

I will grant you we have milder winters but they sand and gravel roads extensively... Saying that they don't cycle everyday...

Yes they have more cycle lanes, some because they got bombed to crap in WW2... Some because there was no room for cars (Amsterdam)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yes they have more cycle lanes, some because they got bombed to crap in WW2... Some because there was no room for cars (Amsterdam)

This is not 100% true - the "Oil Crisis" in 1973 and the amount of Children been killed on the roads at that time had the dramatic effect on the Dutch to change the way they were doing transport. Many Dutch Citys would not look to dissimilar to current day Galway now back in 1970, cars everywhere.

Your 100% right about the weather though, people who don't walk or cycle here in Galway City talk about the rain, people who do - its the wind that they talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is what Amsterdam looked like in the early 70s.

It changed because of the 'Stop Killing Children' campaign Stop de #Kindermoord in 1973.

eBikes are a great solution to windy environments.

Yup ebikes are a great solution- especially for the Cargo/Heavy bikes. Has a big impact on wind and hilly sections of the City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Ebikes are roughly €2000 a pop.

That isn't affordable for many.

Bike to work scheme makes it affordable and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than anything more than a banger of a car nevermind the running costs, tax, insurance etc etc

True, way cheaper than motoring + its really a one off cost. Electricity costs are negligible. I'd say most Credit Union will give one the Special Rate loan for one.

Funny how 'affordability' tends not be a huge problem when it comes to putting huge SUVs at x 10 times that price on the road? Maybe we need PCPs for eBikes to pay on the never never? As mentioned above, some CU's have noticed a possible market for loans for eBikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

How many cycling advocates on here don't also own a car?

Just because you can own both doesn't mean everyone can. Not everyone can afford an SUV either. People on the lower tax rate will only get a 20% reduction, so not huge savings there. I doubt most peoe want to get into debt to own a bicycle. And families with a couple of kids or more can't really be expected to splash out on ebikes for all of them.

I'm not anti cycling and I think moves need to be made to reduce private car use through cycling and public transport. But it's not always practical at the moment so car use will persist until it is.

Also, jumping on anyone who doesn't toe the line with your views make you seem rather fanatical and inflexible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do eBikes have immobilisers or similar, to make them difficult to steal? Not sure that I'd want to leave 2k worth of hardware in the carpark of an industrial estate during the day unless it could be locked properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Still waiting for your reply re your previous claim on road projects that are being held up or abandoned due to bike lanes. Must be a month or two waiting for your examples of these now. I'm clinging on in hope.

Also, it's far from torrential today, there are heavy, squally showers of hail etc. But there are lovely, bright blue skies in between. The moon has just made a bright appearance here now in the clear skies.

I no longer have a car, got rid of it back in Oct 2020 after WFH became permanent for me and I haven't looked back.

Had a bike, got a leap card, bike share cards for Galway and Dublin and a GoCar account. Use buses and trains when the need arises too.

Between the car loan, fuel, tax etc, I'm saving over 7k a year.

It is very feasible to do.

Obviously not for 100% of the people or journeys but for a heck of a lot, yes

Lastly I don't think anyone has "jumped" on anyone. We're discussing the many options and they are just that.

You choose the walking option, you get both advantages and disadvantages. Same with the bike, PT or the car.

A lot of people just want to be have safe, reliable, convenient and consistent journeys. Unfortunately this means some modes have to suffer.

What that means in real terms, for example, is accessibility and permeability for pedestrians, but having to use signalised crossing points which slow you.

Or bus lanes for to provide higher frequency routes and more consistent journey times, but with the knowledge that you will have to walk X distance to and from the stop as well as sharing your journey and having to stop at stops.

Or for cars, the infrastructure they have but have to pay higher parking fees, traffic jams, reduced access to certain areas etc

Thing is, its about balance among the modes. Right now the scales are heavily weighted for the private car against all other modes. If the city is to develop, grow and thrive that must be addressed. Personally speaking, that is all I am asking for.

It can also be said that infrastructure for all other modes is being held up with the constant GCRR nonsense.

6 of one.....

We've gone from a two car family to a one car family, largely because I cycle to work. Occasional use of gocar or taxis fills the gap, and it is a huge saving.

It's hilarious to hear all this 'we can't afford bikes' given the vast amount of money spent on cars and car culture. That's not an attack on you - just pointing out how car culture has become endemic and the default thinking.

Bike theft is certainly an issue. Employers need to provide safe locking facilities, with restricted access, CCTV and Sheffield Stands or similar for locking. Most eBikes allow for the control unit and/or the battery to be removed fairly easily, which makes them fairly useless if stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not that I've noticed but I assume there must be some that do. You can usually pop the battery off though. They're the most valuable part and you it's like trying to cycle a brick without it.

Happy to discuss your infatuation through PM 😊

Measures suck as this are certainly welcome, though enforcement will be key. Hopefully they get a move on with the online reporting portal so Joe Public can snap a pic and report inconsiderate parkers

RTE news : Fine for parking on footpaths and cycle lanes to double

Your attempts to troll me across multiple forums are weak sauce but as I said, happy to discuss your obsession with me in PM. I won't respond further to your attempts in any threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Now, now. We all know that's what you said previously. Unless of course you now accept that there aren't many projects being held up by bike lanes, as you previously claimed. Don't be trying to rewrite history now Mr Staple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement