Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

53.9% of the "eligible" population for boosters.

People with 1 or no vax are not eligible for a booster. Neither are children I dont think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stating these are available is a valid part of discussion. Stating they ere "dodgy" is starting to add an element of credibility. It is illegal. End of. We do not allow anything that encourages illegal activity. It is against site rules to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Booster dose safety

An mRNA COVID-19 vaccine booster dose has been:

• recommended by the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) in Ireland in people aged 16 and over 3 months after finishing a course of COVID-19 vaccines
    • licensed by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) in people aged 18 and over 6 months after finishing a course of COVID-19 vaccine

So the EMA only approve for over 18s! 🤔

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

"It includes the results of a study in 123 schools in England which used masks and compared that to others that did not during the Delta wave of Covid. The UK is currently experiencing the spread of an even more infectious variant - Omicron - but there is not enough data yet on this one and masks.

Schools where face coverings were used in October 2021 saw a reduction two to three weeks later in Covid absences from 5.3% to 3% - a drop of 2.3 percentage points.

In schools which did not use face coverings absences fell from 5.3% to 3.6% - a fall of 1.7 percentage points.

It said this was not statistically significant and the greater reduction in schools where masks were worn could be down to chance."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A booster 3 months later? Cant wait for the 4th dose in 3 months time

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭techdiver

So what is the situation with people who have had covid recently and couldn't not get a PCR test? Based on the booster rules they have to wait 3 months post infection to get their booster but their vaccine pass will now be invalidated (based on what MM said yesterday) and they have no way of getting a recovery cert as they had no pcr test. I'm sure there are many in this situation, but I've seen no motion of how this will be handled?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Cloth and surgical masks were never effective in terms of reducing the spread of airborne viruses. They're effective in terms of behaviour control, because they are a constant nudge toward fear and away from "normal" that increases compliance with restrictions and lockdowns.

Masks in schools were only ever to placate scared parents.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Its ok that you dont understand economics. Really it is, you don't need to try to pretend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Yes, but not for international travel which countries can still police. EU wide rules over people's heads and control.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes this is a thing.

Several friends have had 3 vaccines, cycles go off completely after each one.Regardless of whether they are on the pill or not. They have all ended up having a period 1 or 2 weeks after the last one, way out of cycle.

TMI maybe but there ya go.At the age we are and the stage of life we are at, avoiding conception is the main aim, so it is annoying when you are trying to keep track of these things.I can understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

wtf is this sh1te that MM was sprouting, will we need a booster to go pub?!

had delta in August (for me it was a mild flu for a day), got vaccinated, caught this omicron over xmas, literally a blcoked nose for 24 hours.

i have zero interest in ever getting a booster against a what for me and every family member/friend over Xmas was a fooking cold, this is ridiculous.

wasnt planning on getting a second recovery cert, but do i need to do that now or what? absolute farce.

thats strange, my wife got her second shot back in July, says she hasnt had a period "for good few months"

she has the coil and we put it down to that, maybe we were wrong...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

@copeyhagen I didn't have any issues with mine either and my contraception stops my cycles altogether (loads of personal info here!!!). It could just be the coil.The people I know who had the issues were either on a pill or no hormonal contraception.But equally there were....5 or 6 people in total that mentioned it??(yes, many women talk about that stuff!) Not just a one off, put it that way.

It's actually the number one side effect..

(But we don't talk about those..nevermind)

i know its getting very personal (and its my wife!)_ but she did have fairly regular for the 2 years prior after getting the coil

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

IUDs can (and often do) stop menstruation, either immediately or after a few months. If she had the coil put in any time in the few months before she stopped getting periods then that wouldn't be considered abnormal at all and I doubt any doc would investigate on the basis of the vaccine (and in any case I don't believe there are any suggested interventions for vaccine-fucked menstrual cycles right now).

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Well this thread has taken a turn I would never have expected it to take. 😀

Someone thinks that face-masks mightn’t be the solution to the pandemic. Major yawn. I think you’re about 18 months late on that one...

• Advertisement

I’m assuming they’re not going to start dusting off the handrails of Copper’s to find me. But if you are using a falsified document with your real name on it - that they scan on the way in - you make their job a lot easier. I discourage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They haven't even found out why this is happening yet. This is one of the reasons I'm extremely wary of giving this to my pre teen daughter. We don't know what effect it may have on puberty or fertility in this age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Taking covid out of the equation, how would you feel about having to digitally "check in" everywhere you went, and the government agencies being able to access that information as well as who you were associating with etc? Would you be ok with it then? I guess you're of the "if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear" school of thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Curious as to why you think you need to be jabbed to travel?

Have had no issued traveling for work over the last year, 3 continents. (OK, did turn down work in Australia, won't be setting foot in that fascist s***hole ever again.)

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Outside of COVID it's probably not necessary but is already implemented in lots of locations anyway for convenience, gyms use fobs to track entry/exit, companies use loyalty schemes, restaurants use a reservation system and phone number. That data is then controlled by GDPR and has to be destroyed on request or within 30 days unless they have a security reason to keep it (well in Europe, in Nevada, they can do what they want with it, there's no doubt an NSA profile of everywhere you've been and done being recorded somewhere). Post COVID, you can avoid some of this but it's a very awkward life to be living.

The question is if the cert contains any more information than you're already disseminating anyway, and the answer is, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I want to get jabbed for ease of travel, simple as that.

I don't go to run of the mill locations, and some of the countries I've visited, and want to visit, require vaccinations to get in... I can't be arsed with testing & quarantine, I want to be able to arrive and go.

The added beauty of the covid pass, now that the testing requirement for vaxxed travellers has been dropped again, is that I can pick up covid abroad and still come home, be sick in my own bed, and not be trapped abroad wasting both holiday leave and money.

Vaccine = no test = no covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Yes, I would be of the same thinking, I have read of postmenopausal women actually experiencing bleeding which is also very strange.

I feel so sorry for any young teenage girls, if these passes continue, she wont be allowed a full social life, but could be putting fertility at risk, and from watching friends struggle with fertility, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The risk of this happening may be low.. but the alternative its almost zero risk at dying or severe complications from covid.. very difficult choice to make.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Quags

I am actually in that boat for this year if I wish to visit certain places. I am not a big drinker and rarely go to restaurants so the use of a vaccine cert would only be for travel to places that require it. I was in places last year and just done the antigen testing as any country I wanted to visit only required that but these places this year are requiring vaccine proof

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I don't do crowds.... I don't go to packed pubs, music festivals, etc, etc, etc. I arrive and drive to some obscure location in the middle of nowhere, I don't be looking for the covid.

The riskiest part of anything I do in life, with regards to the covid anyway (whether at home or abroad), is getting on a plane full of people.

I absolutely hate the idea of a medical pass for ANY reason, I firmly believe it's a slippery slope to god knows where, but needs must and all that, so I suck it up so that I can get out of here for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

What is the justification or rationale for this. I am double vaccinated and had Covid over Christmas just before my age group was eligible for a booster. I have had worse colds and it was no where near as tough going as the flu. Mine isn’t an unusual anecdote. I obviously would prefer not to get sick at all but I don’t live in a bubble so it’s inevitable that I will pick up bugs here and there.

Look at numbers that have ended up in hospital during this wave when today we were told that since Christmas Day we had 25% of all covid cases from last 12 months (it is likely higher then 25%). Numbers entering hospitals appear to be normal numbers for a winter period. The state is under no moral obligation to protect us from illness.

Aside from immuno-compromised is there really much benefit in regular boosters if it’s the same vaccine? If the booster was updated to reflect the current Covid strain (like the flu) then I could understand this push on boosters and I can definitely see benefit to a yearly booster of an updated vaccine. There is more to immunity then how many antibodies you have.

Advertisement