Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

2.5m cases of covid worldwide yesterday according to Worldometers. We exceeded 1m cases worldwide for the first time on 29th December and exactly one week later that number is 2.5 times the size.

Omicron is an absolute marvel of evolution. The scientist in me is in awe. Once again humanity is humbled by the forces of the universe. We are but a speck floating in a sea, with minimal control over our fate.

Very positively though, worldwide the death rate is taking a nosedive as Omicron kicks in.

Israel are starting to find out that their "keep boosting" plan is futile;

Worldwide we're going to see a pretty insane number of cases in the next couple of months. China despite their success with brutal closures, will also discover that suppression is futile and we'll see them calling in well over a million cases a day at some point, if not 10m or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Before you accuse the Professor of ICU of lying, let’s look at the HSPCC report.

They examine deaths by age between 01/03/2020 and 04/01/2022 (about 90 weeks):

Looking at the cumulative total of deaths in those (<45 years), there were 73 deaths overall.

These deaths occurred in clusters (see page 6). So yes, his statement is based in fact.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/weeklyreportoncovid-19deathsreportedinireland/COVID-19_Weekly_Death_Report_Website_v1.6.1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

Worldwide we're going to see a pretty insane number of cases in the next couple of months. China despite their success with brutal closures, will also discover that suppression is futile and we'll see them calling in well over a million cases a day at some point, if not 10m or more.

Most countries outside of the west haven't been bothered by this virus. I think they will simply stop testing instead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I hope that we can get back to normal as well!

Let’s take a walk in the hospital and ask them do they feel the pressure right about now. The Kelt, you mentioned that your loved one is an ICU nurse. I am sure that she will tell you how hard the hospitals are working at the moment to keep the show on the road. I don’t know how much more pressure they can take. I admire anybody working in healthcare.

Surely, that’s the rationale for the restrictions. And hopefully in a few weeks, when things settle down, we will return to a more normal way of life.

I just get annoyed that everybody thinks that there opinion is fact these days. I would be pretty annoyed if I spent 10 years of my life working on something and some randomer with no background told me that they understand my field better and that their opinion was more significant than mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I'm saying he's fibbing, not lying (there's a huge difference), and you need to read your release through the way your relative the security guard would during her long shift.

84% of deaths have underlying conditions, across all age groups.

So the chance of all of those 73 deaths under 44 being of previously healthy people is very, very low. I suspect you know this, your relative who's studying evidence based medicine knows it and I expect every professor in every hospital in Ireland knows this.

Are you seriously going to pretend otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Israel are starting to find out that their "keep boosting" plan is futile;

When did vaccinations become futile?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Thats exactly the point - your tales of master/postgrad etc man are as valid as me telling you on boards that I work in Pfizer in Ireland doing the same thing and I know better - totally unverifiable slop. The appeal to authority is a fallacious argument - the data should speak for itself. Indeed there are many research papers out there already which spell out the data in easier terms for the layman/woman to understand, but the data itself is the real truth - NOT the regurgitations of a self-proclaimed "expert".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From latest HSE briefing

25% of all cases in the past five months have occurred since Christmas Day.

This week, up to 300,000 PCR tests were completed along with an additional approx. 350,000 antigen tests distributed.

In ICU, 51% had no vaccination at all while 3% are partially vaccinated.

Big increases of positive cases are among younger age groups; cases in the 19-44 age group are up 200%

There were 55 deaths that could have possibly been in their 30s. So unless it was near 1/2 deaths per week, very unlikely to be seeing weekly deaths of people in their 30s. Those deaths figures are far more likely to be biased towards the 44 part of that age group (35-44) as age is the #1 indicator of mortality risk from covid.

It was a scaremongering nonsense statement from someone who should have known better - and you are digging a bigger hole for yourself in defending it.

• Advertisement

I take my blue inhaler a few times a year. I have never been in hospital before. I would be classed as having an underlying condition due to my asthma

Just under 1/3 of Irish adults are obese in 2019. These obese people would be classed as having an underlying condition.

people think that underlying condition means bed-bound at home. But it may be as simple as a few puffs of the inhaler in the cold season, or a cholesterol tablet once a day.

So, while the people probably had for all intents and purposes underlying conditions, they were probably for all intents and purposes, healthy otherwise

On Boards, qualifications are irrelevant. However, I am sure that you have all seen countless examples of people with no expertise in a topic thinking that they are experts because of some articles they read online.

anybody can read any piece of data. But if you do not know what PICO is, what internal validity means, what external validity means, then your interpretation will be poor at best. experts translate for us. It is not as simple as quoting the data. You have to be able to put them into the clinical context that they were examined in. How rigorous was the methodology. To whom can we extrapolate. It would be great if it was just a case of numbers. But they are not dealing with integers, they are dealing with clinical data.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

And way down on the average weekly winter admissions from 2015-2018 for respiratory illnesses which saw an average of c.1,300 weekly admissions.

Our hospitals are in more or less the same place now as they are every winter. There were 258 occupied ICU beds last night of which 90 are Covid related.

There is no Covid emergency here, it's a busy winter with respiratory illnesses like it has been for decades. The sooner people realize that, the better.

asthma as an underlying condition is quite low risk as far as these things go - HPSC reports from last year (they stopped publishing) show that pre-vaccine only 2% of the deaths with underlying condition were due to asthma, compared to over 40% with heart disease. 2% of ~80% of deaths were due to asthma. So again it is incredibly unlikely that a load of healthy 30 year olds were dying every week

I agree 100%. So what qualifies you to make all these statements on boards? What qualifications do you have to state that (in spite of the evidence against) that loads of "previously healthy" 30 year olds were dying every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What is the total WEEKLY admission rate at present? and what is the average length of stay? What was the incidence of staff leave at the time?

I do not imagine that the Professor of ICU would lie on a national media broadcast.

if the comorbidity was just obesity or mild asthma, would you not consider these people previously healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

No a family member is an icu nurse and to be honest you wouldnt like to hear what she has to say cos it wouldnt fit in with your narrative.

In her opinion the government/HSE have been appalling in their handling of this pandemic. From the millions wasted on substandard PPE along with the refusal to mandate masks for the public and on top of that sending infected patients out to nursing homes. Their refusal to use antigen testing for months is another thing she has issues with.

Is she busy, no because shes at home due to outdated isolation policies which again she is fuming over. When she is allowed to work is it busy, yes it is she admits. It is flat out busy because of a lack of staff but as shes says herself "its been that way for all her career and there was no virtue signallers clapping her before COVID came along" She ahs been this busy her entire career because the powers that be have ignored their own reports made over a decade ago that concluded we need to vastly increase our icu capacity and beds but hired more admin staff than they do healthcare workers

From 2018

So yes they are under pressure and have been all their careers, but no one gave a damn before COVID and she wouldnt be long tellin ye that! According to her though its nothing compared to last january and would be much more manageable if they were just allowed work.

Where was the admiration and concern before COVID?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jams100

Genuine question, is this article implying that new variants won't emerge if everyone was vaccinated?

How does that work if I as a vaccinated person can still contract it? Surely it can and will mutate anyway? I've seen this sort of headline multiple times

Does vaccination stop new variants or just reduce the likelihood of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Around 900 per week. Discharges are 600 pw so stay is a bit over a week currently and I world expect discharges to tick up quite a bit in the coming week or so Flu is non existent this winter with just 37 reported cases nationally last week so that's having negligible impact on hospitals. Check the HSE dashboard. No idea of staff leave but sensible isolation rules would sort that out quickly. In addition the HSE has always had issues with staff absence anyway.

The hospitals are busy, very busy, but we've been here before every winter for decades. You and others are making this out to be an exception, unfortunately it's very much the norm for Irish hospitals in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

No imagination needed, just review the facts above. And, as before, he's fibbing rather than lying. You have to contend that pretty much no-one aged under 44 that died had an underlying condition - in a context where 84% of deaths are to folk with underlying conditions.

Hard to be wrong on the internet, but I'm afraid you are. Medical folk are telling fibs, because they seem to think that's the way to be persuasive. They really shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A friend of my daughter has had it twice, once during the Summer and again recently and double vaccinated in between. Second dose was much milder but I wouldn't be inclined to exclude anyone who had recovered or fully vaccinated from being considered a close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,672 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

HSE says that current figures show that 51% of Covid19 patients in ICU are not vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Hospital absenteeism is an issue because of an outdated isolation policy by Nphet and the government.

The vast majority of healthcare staff are isolating at home relaxing catching up on TV programmes.

We the people don't need to be sensible it is time for the government to be sensible and update the isolation policy in line with Omicron.

It is the government who are putting the hospitals under unnecessary extra pressure not the general public or healthcare workers who want to work but are not allowed by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm saying he's fibbing, not lying (there's a huge difference)

Is there? I wasn't aware...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I am noticing more and more people not wearing masks in supermarket settings these days. And none of this covering their mouths with a scarf or something pulled over them as if they genuinely forgot one either.

Including one woman earlier, in a tracksuit that would identify her as a howiya from a mile away, who told her partner out loud "I threw this jacket on me as it's cold and I'm not wearing any underwear" as they both proceeded to walk in the "exit" door of Tesco with no masks. Begs the question: what the eff was she wearing before she threw on the jacket?

Each to their own and all that, and while I wouldn't agree with most of the restrictions, masks are literally the easiest one to adhere to. They can't all have medical issues that make them exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

they do cater for all, that's why they are struggling, it's actually completely normal to pass judgement on people that end up in hospital , drunk people out on the town etc clogging up resources have always been frowned upon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I guess stupid us as stupid does.

All it will take us one ill person (not even necessarily CoViD, plain old seasonal influenza or RSV that's been doing the rounds recently will do) and everyone in the office could be out for a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

If it all goes wfh there will be alot of job losses in Ireland as our jobs go abroad to countries in cheaper countries to live in. If you now want wfh in case of catching any illness you will end up with a very weak immune system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBH there's a lot of speculation in the article about whether we would get something like Delta or Omicron. The thinking behind this article is that if you have large unvaccinated populations it is a perfect opportunity for a variant of concern to emerge.

The virus mutates regularly but producing a VOC like this usually requires plenty of hosts, in particular hosts who are immunocompromised or who have very weak immune systems where it can reside for long periods.

By vaccinating the rest of the world more fully you reduce that potential pool and therefore reduce the risk of another troublesome variant appearing. 

Advertisement