Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭jj880

Those specs are top drawer but we got a quest 2 and psvr for Christmas. Psvr hasnt got a look in apart from a few hours when the quest was charging. I managed to get 200 euro of free quest game credit through referrals. I know its not a fair comparison but I had a library of about 13 psvr games downloaded for xmas morning. Not crap either. Rescue mission, Squadrons, Farpoint, the Persistence, Superhot and more. When I asked junior why it was the wire. End of story. I have to admit Im the same. Im playing the odd few hours in The Persistence PSVR but the wireless headset is amazing. The freedom to move in table tennis, golf, we even got superhot on the quest to compare. There is no comparison. Psvr2 needs to be wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

How much are we looking at for PSVR? €400?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

My niece got a Quest 2 for Christmas and it is great fun. The only problem is there isn't a great selection of AAA titles, or it can't handle AAA titles.

My niece is 13 and her brother is 10. They spend all their time playing Beat Sabre and some Monkey Hide and Seek game.

I'm a 40 year old man and want to play Skyrim, Squadrons, RE VII...

I think there is a market for Quest and there will be a market for PSVR2 as well. (I think I read in the spec it isn't wireless. It is connected to the PS5 via USBC.)

Its a tough one with all the memory / processing power in the ps5. Makes sense for it to be wired. I guess its more me hoping it would be wireless. It seems the tech to stream from the ps5 to the psvr2 for high res / high fps games is not here yet. Or not viable cost wise.

Im thinking about adding a ceiling hook / loop for the psvr. I was in a VR warehouse place last year where you can book block sessions and they had this set up. It worked well for wired VR.

I got mine from a friend who was looking to offload his before the psvr2 comes out. Headset, camera, move controllers, aim controller and a ps4 controller (needed for some games). 130 euro. Ordered the ps5 adapter for the camera for free from Sony.

I dont see stock for them brand new anywhere. There are loads for sale 2nd hand in the usual places (cex, donedeal etc). The 2nd hand one I got will do me for a while. Not planning to get the psvr2 until well after its released to see what the reviews / game catalogue is like.

If its the price of the psvr2 you are wondering about i'd expect it to be at least 400 euro at release for the headset and vr controllers. There may be some optional addons for the controllers if you want them. Gun fittings, golf clubs, light sabres etc. You will need the ps5 camera too. Edit: just seen on twitter you won't need the camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

After the fun I've had with the psvr and seeing the hardware for the new one, I'll have no problem spending 4/500 for it. I'm sure there will be some form of bundle with the camera too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just hope Valve and Sony have been getting reacquainted, because having Half-Life Alyx - one of the greatest games ever made, and the genuine ‘wow’ moment for VR - locked behind expensive PC hardware requirements remains a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh I can see (read: hope) Sony coming out with a Half-Life Alyx reveal. Maybe not for launch, seems that honor will go to Guerilla. And no doubt there's be a Rescue Mission 2 for release too. I'm excited. Single wire is good, and I'd prefer it to having to charge the headset, I've enough charging to be doing! But HLA would be a massive, massive win for PSVR2.

I'll be Day 1 also if they're not scalped. Might ask GS about a pre-order and throw something down now, did it with the PS5 and got it on release so if you're thinking about it, even though it won't be as popular, I'd throw your name down somewhere asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I will 100% be pre ordering for a day 1 headset. No chance im leaving it like I did with the ps5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is GT7 going to be full Vr with this new headset?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd imagine there will be some of it at least, like they did with GT Sport. The main dude behind GT is a VR fan, but also a perfectionist apparantly, so it depends on how powerful the device is I'd imagine. This foveated rendering is supposedly gonna help.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Will they be updating so the PS5 can play 3d Blu-Rays? Heard there was currently a firmware block on playing the 3d discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

This one doesn't need a separate camera, the cameras are on the headset

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I got the original psvr during a sale and loved it but the vr life just isn't for me. Only got to use it at night and between being tired by the time i had it all set up and then wide awake and wired going to bed wasn't a good combo. Sold it after a few months but really was one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.

I would definitely be tempted back with the integrated camera but only if the controllers were bundled with it. Buying them were an absolute joke last time. Will wait for an eventual sale and be jealous of everyone enjoying it.

Unless they made a Days Gone VR, then that would be an insta purchase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Both my oculus and psvr are sitting on the shelf. PSVR gets an outing when the nephew calls over to play star wars. But I don't really like the locked in aspect. I've no idea who or what is around me. Not great with 3 kids and 2 dogs around your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Yeah, it's the problem I have with even contemplating buying a VR headset. Too much going on around me in the house to be stuck inside a headset not knowing what's around me. I'd probably end up trampling on one of our dogs or accidentally punching someone in the stomach. Plus I've hearing loss in one ear which would probably spoil the immersion somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Yeah, we've regularly 3 or 4 dogs in the house (one of our own, also do dog minding) so can't go on VR when they're around. Also found the tracking to be cack with any daylight so can only play in evenings. The wiring is cumbersome too.... all that being said it is fantastic, just way more hassle than flat gaming. I was hoping the new one would be wireless but sounds like that would take too much off the other technical specs. It would need to be backwards convertible with existing psvr library for me to think about a day one purchase, don't want to lose that library, nor could I justify two vr headsets in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I enjoyed the PSVR a lot when I first got it, but it just takes far too much effort for not a lot of extra benefit. It's been busted out for the odd game of Beat Saber a few times with friends/family, but even that's been pretty rare due to everything. I'll not be rushing out to get a PSVR2 anyway. I'd be more inclined to opt for the Oculus Quest 2, but it's Facebook/Meta so I guess I'm just going to have to stick with good ol' normal reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Normal reality has good graphics but **** gameplay, lots of grinding and MTX.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reality has NFTs.

Virtual reality has Mark Zuckerberg’s inane vision for the ‘metaverse’.

You’re screwed whatever you choose.

• Advertisement

I'll buy the PSVR2 I've no doubt about that. the shelf won't fill itself with tech I've no time to use. It can sit beside the Pocket, the playdate, and the steam deck 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Does anyone know if you can use the psv2 as a screen where we can just play normal games on it with out the VR part? This would be handy for me when herself is watching netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think you can do that already with the PSVR. It just appears as a screen in front of you. I can't remember though if the screen is in a fixed position in front of you, or if it moves with your head.

I'm trying to remember but I think you can make it a cinema screen for non VR content. Even watch movies on Netflix on the big screen.

I think there might be an option to lock it in place too so you can look away from the screen.

But that might be something I dreamt too 😂

You can 100% play non VR games in big screen mode on PSVR. You can watch DVDs, Blu-Rays and even 3D Blu-rays in big screen mode too - the PSVR is probably the best 3D experience you can get if you can put up with the headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Unfortunately 3D blu rays don't work on PS5, only PS4 . There's hope of a patch down the line but nothing confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That rumour has been around since PSVR2 was announced, I think there is a 70% good chance of it happening, but who knows?

I had a go of it on a mates PC and it's the most immersive VR thing I have used, frightened the shité out of me when a headcrab jumped right at me...

Sorry I thought we were talking about using it on PS4 - probably could have guessed by the thread title 😫

• Advertisement

With a couple of exceptions (AstroBot, Beat Saber etc...), the problem with a lot of VR titles is they're clearly a lower-budget spin-off from a better-known series. It looked like Alyx could've had that problem too, but really what makes it special is it's a full-blooded Half-Life game that just happens to be in VR. It's Valve's peerless design just completely imagined from the ground up for VR. There's a good reason why modders have totally failed in their efforts to get it running '2D'!

It's weird to say a two-year-old game will be a killer app for a new device... but it really will be. Hell, having played through it on an Oculus Rift myself, I'd be keen to replay it on an even more modern device (controllers, screens etc...).

The only problem is few developers have the resources of Valve to put into a loss-leader, big-budget VR game just for the sheer hell of it. Curious to see what Sony has planned, as first party support is absolutely crucial to keep these devices ticking over.

Advertisement