Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Awful tier Twitter rumour that we've opened talks for Diaz at Porto

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Do ye think the first leg will go ahead next Thursday? Was thinking of going but what with cancellations today and maybe the fa cup game too I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I don't think the FA Cup game will be postponed Villa were made to play their kids of forfeit the game last season against us last season. Different comp different rules to the League Cup. Isolation in England is only a week so players should be back for next Thursday providing 2 negative tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd say that the rumours about the GKs is probably true and that's the reason why the League Cup game was postponed.

Alisson could be out of isolation by the weekend and may be able to play, which would put the club into the position of having a fit GK and they'll be told to play the game with the fit players & u18s. The rest of the isolation players would hopefully be back for the league games and league cup game too by the time they come around.

Edit: going by the Atheltic article today, the rules for League Cup and FA Cup are different. For the League Cup, if you have 14 players available that are registered in your league squad, you have to play. For the FA Cup, you just need 14 players available at the club. So the u18s count here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Whoop whoop I'm back! (I know, you don't remember, but hey)

How has the last year gone?

From my comment above:

No we didn't win the league

No we didn't win the champions league

No life is not back to normal

No I haven't gotten to Anfield (or off this island) since

What else is going on? Boards looks to have gotten a facelift....not liking it so far. Is Oranage still claiming that Aubameyang is the best African in the league? Am I alone in thinking Kelleher is overrated as a keeper? (he's good alright but have seen some people get carried away a bit) Are we all hating or loving FSG?

Anything else happen last year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You really haven't missed much tbh. Apart from the fact that Toby was accidentally granted developer credentials and they had to rebuild the site from the ground up a week later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some talk today of Philips being the subject of a bid from a PL club for £7m, West Ham being one of the clubs mentioned.

I know many laughed at the idea of Jarrod Bowen during the summer, myself included, but he has impressed this season so far.

I wonder if the club will try to leverage the 2 against each other, sort of like the Hoever and Jota deals? £7m for Philips seems cheap, and £15m seems a bit more reasonable. Likewise £40m for Bowen deems decent but £50m seems expensive. But balancing those deals against each other, at either the low or high prices effectively make the net spend the same amount (33m v 35m). It's just about optics then for who wants to say they came out the better side of the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Looks like this is definitely the case now, I can see Stevie getting more out of him than Arteta could personally, but looks like it's only a 6 month loan with no option to buy and Barca do want to shift him, I think that's where the problem is, it will be interesting to see what happens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The biggest issue is wages he's on 250 grand a week,

Villa offered Grealish 150 grand to stay , So even if they offered that to Phil he's be a100 grand down a week ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

We have been arguing here that we need a out and out striker for a long time and here he is. That the end of Bobby ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Bombazo indeed....is this guy any good?

Can't remember him from all the times we trounced Porto...80 million in any currency seems a bit steep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Luis Diaz is a winger/wide forward - more competition for Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement

Obligatory YouTube highlights clip ...

Melissa Reddy will be out with something like...

[insert name of youth player] has been showing promise when playing with the first team and as such Klopp won't head to the transfer market this January

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yeah I saw that, he also said we wouldn't pay 60m for a bench player. How many of them in that bracket have City got at this stage.

I get it and all, financial security yada yada yada...but it gets to a point where you ask what the point of it all is. I remember growing up and more and more oul lads gave up on football because of money ruining the game. Could never understand it, but starting to now.

And I don't even want Diaz based on what I saw of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

That YouTube clip has him falling over regularly like a sack of spuds for little or no contact. Is that his game ?

Isn't Diaz a bit slow for what we look for in a wide/inside forward

• Advertisement

Yeah I don’t see anything too special going by that YouTube video, but those highlight reels are so rarely useful in judging a player.You could make Joel Matip look like Kaka in his prime with a few hours work and a talent for editing.

Obviously we all know he’s closer to Maldini than Kaka, but you get the point.

I think Phil will definitely have to take a wage drop wherever he goes, or he could just sign for Newcastle and probably stay on the wages he is already is at?

Quicker it's done the better, sick of us getting linked to him with no foundation at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Kaka only wishes that he was as good in his prime as Joel is now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Matip apparently has a 90% dribble success rate according to Reddit!

Tim Vickery has said we have been scouting him for a while and if it is going to happen it will happen in the nexy few days.

I doubt the club will pay £60m for him myself, If they can get him for half they might.

So his logic is that if we’re going to sign him, it’ll only be in the next few days and not in the summer because Mane is going to the AFCON and we need him for cover.

A £60m player to cover for Mane, for a maximum of five games. Three of those against Shrewsbury, Brentford and Palace. The other two against Arsenal in the League Cup, which Mane has barely played in.

And it typically takes a player signed from abroad a couple of months training under Klopp before he’s ready to start for Liverpool.

We can file this video firmly in the “Twitter Bullsh*t” category. Not to say the transfer won’t happen in the summer, though.

And it typically takes a player signed from abroad a couple of months training under Klopp before he’s ready to start for Liverpool.

Instant impact for a few games and Mane then leaves next summer when Daiz has had the second half of this season under Klopp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Don't know if Diaz would be a direct replacement for Mane, he mainly plays through the centre for Porto and has no where near the pace of Mane or Salah! 60m for him is a bit much too as that would put you in the market for Raphinha who I think is twice the player Diaz is. So I don't think there is much to this story, 60m for a player who is going to sit on a bench and is already a few marks down on what's in front of him doesn't really sound like Liverpool over the past few windows!

If Mane is indeed leaving, then that’s a much better angle on it for sure. This Vickery lad was basically saying he’d be signed as cover while Mane is at the AFCON, or not at all. I just had to call out that level of nonsense for what it is.

If Diaz was signed in January to give him a settling in period, he’d still be pretty useless to us for the duration of the AFCON unless he’s secretly world class and can hit the ground running. But even Salah had a pre-season with us, and Fabinho had a full pre-season and another couple of months on top of that before he could crack the first team. Players signed from the PL like Jota, Mane, VVD and Gini didn’t need an adjustment period because they understand the higher pace in the league and have already adapted to it, and Thiago is just an absolute baller who could walk into any team when he’s fully fit.

Diaz would very likely need a bit of time to adjust his game before starting for us. If Klopp, Edwards and the rest of the decision makers like him, I’m sure the deal will be done at some point and I’ll be excited to see him play. My expectations for him in the short term would be very modest though, is my overall point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, all sounds dodgy. The money is waaaay more than we're likely to spend for a player of his record... that amount would likely get you Gonçalves, who looks better and more suited to us, and is a year younger. (I dont think we'd spend that much on Gonçalves either though.)

• Advertisement

Rumours on twitter that 3 clubs from Italy have started pre-contract talks with Origi so Liverpool are now willing to let him go in January for 10 million ,

Title race is over and the 10 million can go to Mo's new contract , then we find a suitable replacement in the summer ,

Salah, Mane and Firmino all have 12 months left on their contract at the end of this season and we know not all are going to be renewed.

Plausible scenario:

• Salah signs extension
    • Firmino stays out his contract and gets a Wijnaldum-like transfer next summer because we won't want to pay him the wages he'll want to extend and we won't recoup enough money in the summer to make it worth selling - like the Sturridge or Lovren situation - so we might as well keep him for another 12 months and let him go on a free
    • Mane gets sold this summer. Rationale being that he'll be 31 when his contract expires next year, we won't want to pay him crazy wages at that age after giving Salah the massive bump he'll need to sign. However unlike Firmino you could see a good chunk of money being spent on him this summer, potentially a £50m or so as there will be teams that will bid if he's available.

So in that scenario we would get in, say, Diaz and Dembele this year in place of Mane and Origi, keep Mo for next 5/6 years alongside them, and still have Firmino for another whole season and reassess renewing him at that point.

I'm not saying this is likely, but keeping Mane as well as Salah doesn't seem easy to me and any succession planning, even if not these players mentioned coming in, will have to happen this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd rather Bowen than Diaz for the £45-50 needed.

Wonder will they look at Danjuma again. There were a lot of rumours last summer before he left Bournemouth and he's done well in Spain so far.

I see Bobby ending his career with us

I see Salah leaving this summer & Mane next ,

We will 100% not sign Dembele ,Naby ,Thaigo ,Matip ,Gomez all injury prone we don't need Dembele to join them,

More stuff on Diaz:

The negotiation to buy Luis Díaz is close to being closed. Liverpool would be at € 71.7 million (£ 60 million) beating a millionaire offer from Newcastle that also wants it. Klopp's team has the urgency for the departure of Salah and Mane to the African Cup

🤷

The price seems more than what we'd normally pay to be honest.

Diaz was linked with United and Chelsea about two years ago I think and the general consensus was he's a very good player with a huge ceiling.

Yea I dunno either.

A bit of transfer gossip is just what the doctor ordered in my opinion.

I do think Danjuma will get another look. The club won’t be put off by him making a move this summer, if they’re as interested as has been reported, they’ll go back for him and Villarreal will make a quick and substantial profit. It’s not like he made a move to a top club that he’ll struggle to leave, with all due respect to Villarreal, but they’re as much of a stepping stone as we were under Rodgers. Most clubs are, to be fair, aside from the elite few that can only be seen as destination clubs, and while we’re in that bracket at the minute, it won’t be forever.

The real man in the know when it comes to transfers.

• Advertisement

I have to say, the thought of Divock leaving genuinely upsets me a little bit. He’s been a Liverpool player since 2014 and has only played 167 competitive games for us yet he’s scored plenty of the most important goals in the club’s recent history, and astonishingly he’s the second longest serving player at the club (when you consider he was signed in 2014, spending the following season away on loan).

It looks like he actually will be leaving this month and not only can we not afford to be selling players without replacing them, but Divock is one I’ll be gutted to see sold.

He was well on his way to been an excellent player when Funes Mores broke his ankle.

I do like how Stevie handles the press mind you... 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

He's in a funny situation. He's never given klopp a selection headache in my opinion. That doesn't mean he's not done well when he's come in but there's been times when we needed something different from the starting lads and divock hasn't offered that.

It's hard to know if it's better to stick with the lad who doesn't complain, can score at times but doesn't offer much else and can be really anonymous at other times or risk it for someone that may offer something but could struggle when left out for so long.

I'd be surprised if he goes this month. It would be unlike klopp to do that.

I’ve been saying it for years. He was looking like a top class striker on the making until that assault. I get the impression he was rushed back for the Europa League final too, which certainly didn’t help if that was the case. I know some will say “trust the experts” and “they’re professionals, they know what they’re doing”, but 30 days is just not enough to fully recover from an ankle ligament injury, and Origi’s case looked particularly bad.

I feel that part gets glossed over at times, it’s a risk that the coaching and/or medical team didn’t get away with IMO.

The Diaz link is more likely to be the work of a third party trying to engineer a bid from another club.

In the summer transfer window the transfer options were limited by the composition of the squad. Liverpool only registered 24 players for the Premier League squad because there we only have 7 senior homegrown players. There are some talented U21 players like Neco Williams, Harvey Elliott and Curtis Jones on the fringes of the squad, but none of them will be considered senior players until the 2023/24 season.

Senior homegrown players: Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Phillips, Milner, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain

The departures of Adrian, Karius and Origi in the summer would give some wiggle room for potential signings, before then any signing would have to ge a homegrown player to get a place in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I don't ever remember Origi being THAT good before the Funes Mores tackle. He's always been a useful player, still is. I just feel that injury is overstated by some supporters. That won't be a popular opinion. With Divock being a bit of a folk hero, it papers over that's he's a couple levels below our other strikers. I don't think the tackle had that profound an effect on his ability long-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He was developing incredibly well for a 19/20 year old striker, and had become our main man at that stage, leading the line. That 2 month spell right before the Everton injury he was unreal - 4 goals and an assist in 4 league starts, and also scored in both legs against Dortmund in that period. For a kid of his age, things were very much looking up.

As well as the injury, Klopp also just completely changed how we play, to a way that just doesn't suit a striker like him. He's been a square peg used in a round hole ever since - but he's been effective enough that he's still here this long later. That in itself says a lot. He can't do the stuff that's asked of the other forwards and of the system, but as an out and out pure natural striker he's very good. As Klopp said recently, it's actually a shame that he's not at a team that can make the most of his talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

,would ye's haven Countino back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

He'd surly improve ye well anyone would really

In a 6 month loan as back up to Mane yes, Only problem is he probably isn't match fit for us,

Long term no we need someone younger,

• Advertisement
Advertisement