Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Taking covid out of the equation, how would you feel about having to digitally "check in" everywhere you went, and the government agencies being able to access that information as well as who you were associating with etc? Would you be ok with it then? I guess you're of the "if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear" school of thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Curious as to why you think you need to be jabbed to travel?

Have had no issued traveling for work over the last year, 3 continents. (OK, did turn down work in Australia, won't be setting foot in that fascist s***hole ever again.)

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Outside of COVID it's probably not necessary but is already implemented in lots of locations anyway for convenience, gyms use fobs to track entry/exit, companies use loyalty schemes, restaurants use a reservation system and phone number. That data is then controlled by GDPR and has to be destroyed on request or within 30 days unless they have a security reason to keep it (well in Europe, in Nevada, they can do what they want with it, there's no doubt an NSA profile of everywhere you've been and done being recorded somewhere). Post COVID, you can avoid some of this but it's a very awkward life to be living.

The question is if the cert contains any more information than you're already disseminating anyway, and the answer is, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I want to get jabbed for ease of travel, simple as that.

I don't go to run of the mill locations, and some of the countries I've visited, and want to visit, require vaccinations to get in... I can't be arsed with testing & quarantine, I want to be able to arrive and go.

The added beauty of the covid pass, now that the testing requirement for vaxxed travellers has been dropped again, is that I can pick up covid abroad and still come home, be sick in my own bed, and not be trapped abroad wasting both holiday leave and money.

Vaccine = no test = no covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Yes, I would be of the same thinking, I have read of postmenopausal women actually experiencing bleeding which is also very strange.

I feel so sorry for any young teenage girls, if these passes continue, she wont be allowed a full social life, but could be putting fertility at risk, and from watching friends struggle with fertility, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The risk of this happening may be low.. but the alternative its almost zero risk at dying or severe complications from covid.. very difficult choice to make.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

I am actually in that boat for this year if I wish to visit certain places. I am not a big drinker and rarely go to restaurants so the use of a vaccine cert would only be for travel to places that require it. I was in places last year and just done the antigen testing as any country I wanted to visit only required that but these places this year are requiring vaccine proof

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I don't do crowds.... I don't go to packed pubs, music festivals, etc, etc, etc. I arrive and drive to some obscure location in the middle of nowhere, I don't be looking for the covid.

The riskiest part of anything I do in life, with regards to the covid anyway (whether at home or abroad), is getting on a plane full of people.

I absolutely hate the idea of a medical pass for ANY reason, I firmly believe it's a slippery slope to god knows where, but needs must and all that, so I suck it up so that I can get out of here for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

What is the justification or rationale for this. I am double vaccinated and had Covid over Christmas just before my age group was eligible for a booster. I have had worse colds and it was no where near as tough going as the flu. Mine isn’t an unusual anecdote. I obviously would prefer not to get sick at all but I don’t live in a bubble so it’s inevitable that I will pick up bugs here and there.

Look at numbers that have ended up in hospital during this wave when today we were told that since Christmas Day we had 25% of all covid cases from last 12 months (it is likely higher then 25%). Numbers entering hospitals appear to be normal numbers for a winter period. The state is under no moral obligation to protect us from illness.

Aside from immuno-compromised is there really much benefit in regular boosters if it’s the same vaccine? If the booster was updated to reflect the current Covid strain (like the flu) then I could understand this push on boosters and I can definitely see benefit to a yearly booster of an updated vaccine. There is more to immunity then how many antibodies you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

They do that in late bars in Queensland, last time I was there anyway. Scan your Id and take your picture if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He actually said eventually, by which time we'll have stopped using them for that purpose. It's really a get boosted message in January 2022 and there will be no need for them by late Spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yep the phone in your pocket with the cert on it is probably doing more than people realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I would say you're quite naive to think that will be the case. People said the same thing last year, it will be gone in the summer, it will be gone by October, by November, and by February (when emergency powers are up for review). They'll always find a reason to keep it, and to keep you getting boosters every 3 months.

If you dont youre a granny killer, remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm just pointing out what he said. Cases will fall substantially over the next 2-3 months, thus removing the justification for them in due course. I think the rest of this post speaks to your own current mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

Kids were back to school in France and already 10,800 classes have been sent home

25,000 kids tested positive & an extra 75,000 and 3,000 teachers now in isolation.

When 1 case is detected the whole class has to go for a test but these are conducted in pharmacies as opposed to on site. Now the pharmacists are all becoming infected also 🤦‍♂️

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

^ were back this Monday

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 38,259 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The usual suspects will get the blame and its 'nothing to see here' regarding schools/collages etc

Post edited by PTH2009 on

I understand it is inconvenient, but i think in the long run maybe a couple of extra weeks off in the new year might of been a good idea instead of those countries sending them back now. it's an absolute certainty it's all going to kick off there.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Curious. Does that imply there's a differance between Jab #1/#2 and the Booster jab?

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ah c'mon. Everyone realises it. It's been discussed plenty of times. People complain on this thread about government overreach and how much they've taken over in everything we do...and then, when they don't shout about obesity from the rooftops, they're wrong too? Everyone knows obesity is bad for you and everyone knows that obesity along with age are the main drivers of bad outcomes from covid. To say otherwise is just another way to have a go at the government. As much as I detest the government, this isn't an issue that should annoy people.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

I agree with you here.. but I feel they could have done more media awareness about it...or maybe like the RSVP radio adds.. instead of that shite have an add...thanking fat Aunty Mary for not having the last few Roses at Christmas ... telling her we all discussed it afterwards and we're all so please at her effort so she won't catch and then inevitably spread covid!! 🤣🤣 joking by the way!!

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,259 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The 8pm pub close In one way its a real kick in the gut for the working class. To enjoy a few pints after work you will have to be out for latest 6-6.30pm and even with that youre cutting it fine , while people who may not work have the whole day to lounge around in pubs. 10pm close would of been better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd rather go by what they say and their track record over what they should do anyway.

You went for a test because you had a blocked nose? Careful...there's people in here that would say you're part of the problem.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

"We don't talk about those..." in the middle of a conversation about 'those'.

Have you heard mention of it in the media anywhere?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭MOR316

"The Government were seeking to change the restrictions around close contacts however, NPHET have not approved that request so The Government will have to continue to wait for NPHET approval"

Richard Chambers just said that.

Cannot get my head around how this is allowed to happen... A Government, looking for approval, from a powerless and unelected group of spoofers and no one is kicking up about this? No journalist or reporter asking why this is?

This country is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And yet there’s people who’ll tell you that the government are in charge....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Also closes the argument that NPHET ONLY make recommendations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What a gutless, spineless shower of pricks. Abdicating responsibility once again. Bar Christmas 2020, have the government made one "meaningful" (I hate that phrase!) decision by themselves. An utter dereliction of leadership.

Advertisement