Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

no they won't because the others may have had different reasons for exemption from vaccination to get into Australia.

now if it comes out that any of them had the same reason as Djokovic then that would be a different story.

Federal Australia don't accept recent Covid-19 infection apparently....

Now of course, it seems like he still would have gotten in if state backed Djokovic's visa when asked to do so by Federal but they didn't. Even though State were part of the two-stage process to give him the event exemption

The tennis player had failed to provide evidence he was double vaccinated, or had a legitimate exemption to that, Mr Morrison said.

He also explained that a recent Covid-19 infection, or one in the past six months, was not a valid reason under federal rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Srdjan Djokovic doesn't get PR and is given to hyperbole. I suspect that its squeaky bum time for Novak every time he sees a new statement from his dad.

People from Serbia would be very aware of the difficulty crossing borders and getting visas and have been for many years. Most Irish people have never experienced the pleasure of queuing outside the British embassy on the Merrion Road from 5am for the chance of getting 1 of 20 tickets at 9am that would allow them to return the following morning to requeue and actually submit their visa application.

yeah I doubt if Djokovic even takes his dad seriously!

Federal level (who control the borders) also on a flip flop

When the dust settles I really hope that it's clear to people how both Federal and State Politicians did u-turns on their positions

The Barnaby Joyce muppet has chimed in now insinuating that Djokovic has lied on his application!

Earlier, Prime Minister Scott Morrison denied Djokovic was being singled out and said no-one was above the country's rules. Though Djokovic's reason for an exemption has not been disclosed, Mr Morrison said contracting Covid-19 in the past six months was not among federal criteria for one.

Mr Morrison had initially said he accepted the Victorian government's decision to grant Djokovic and other tennis players medical exemptions.

He is now being accused of politicising the issue amid the huge public backlash. The prime minister himself is under pressure amid the surge of Covid-19 infections in the country, and a federal election is scheduled for May

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

Morrison is getting slaughtered by Australians online, claiming that he is just after political gain here. Twitter is killing him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

And Twitter being such a bastion of sanity, and all…..

• Advertisement

There was/is a big shitshow about lack of PCR testing and lack of Rapid Antigen Tests in the country and Omicron ripping through NSW and Victoria

Does look very dubious both him and Victoria state rolling back on their original positions vis-a-vis Djokovic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ah I don't know about that, still 3 other slams to play for during the year and hopefully by the time the US Open comes around the dreaded Covid pass will have been binned by then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Today he was comparing him to Jesus

Meanwhile, some Djokovic fans were holding a candlelit vigil for him last night.

A completely rational response to the situation

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is there anything to be said for having another mass?

Surprised this wasn't posted here today, might explain more about why Djokovic is in the pickle he's in

• Advertisement

It's not really surprising that Djokovic thought that all was grand really.

He had been given the ok by Victoria State and Tennis Australia by being granted an exemption to play at the Australian Open.

The Australian Prime Minister (Federal level who control the borders) also said that they would go along with the state decision - as "that's how it works" apparently!

In fairness, he was fcuked over by the politicians.

Initially, Mr Morrison had said he accepted the Victorian government's decision to grant Djokovic and other tennis players medical exemptions. On Tuesday, he said federal authorities, who control the borders, would "act in accordance" with the state's decision as "that's how it works".

But amid the public outrage, by Wednesday he had backflipped. Mr Morrison warned that Djokovic would be sent home if he failed to provide proper medical proof for his exemption.

Some could argue he f*cked himself over by choosing not to get vaccinated and attempting to swindle his way into Australia ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shure what else would you do on Christmas Eve?

You'd be hard pressed to find a withered oak branch this time of year in Australia, have to make do with candles.

I wonder what will come out of the appeals process....

Some pretty simple and valid questions. He had a visa and was allowed on the plane but when he arrived the visa was cancelled....

Immigration expert Abul Rizvi details three legal questions in Novak Djokovic’s favour

“If I were Mr Djokovic‘s lawyer, there would be three questions I would be asking,” he said.

“The first question: ‘If my client had not met all of the legal requirements for a visa, why did you grant him a visa?’

“The second question I would ask is: ‘If you had concerns about my client’s visa, why did you not cancel that visa prior to him boarding a plane to Australia?’

“The third question I would ask is: ‘Given that you granted my client a visa, and none of the circumstances prior to grant have changed since that time, on what basis can you cancel that visa?’”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/immigration-expert-abul-rizvi-details-three-legal-questions-in-novak-djokovics-favour/news-story/068753f416aff1d2b487b4e77c463558

Reasonable Short Video Summary of the thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

looks like other players now being investigated who are already in Melbourne. Looks like more players could be sent home because of the exemptions. This could get very messy now. I think the organisers have made a balls of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

They have made a total mess of it. I wonder is the Djokovic appeal on Monday in-camera with him being some kind of an illegal alien at present? The only way for him clean this up now is to disclose the full facts about what he said/included in his exemption application (which may or may not reflect well on him and/or his doctors). He may on principle not want to disclose this, fair enough but the whole affair will hang around him like a bad small until be does.

But the Aussies come out of this very, very poorly too. Morrison is a tool, the State of Victoria is trying to have it every way, and the Australian Open looks very...accommodating. Craig Tiley has totally gone to ground the the past couple of days.

Djokovic and these other players, like them or not have done little wrong here. Do I believe they should all get vaccinated, absolutely I think they should. However the rules were you are double vaccinated or you need an exemption. Whatever their reason Djokovic and other players applied for an exemption and got one. Had they just been told no, you need to be vaccinated they would have stayed at home.

A lot of this has to fall on the Australian side. Clearly there is disagreement between different levels of government on what the exemptions should be, that is not the fault of the players in my opinion. Like him or loathe him (and whoever else got an exemption) did what was asked of them and now the Australian authorities are clearly the ones now are questioning why the exemptions were given.

As for the tournament itself, this could mean a number of players missing including the best player in the world and arguably (and in my opinion) the greatest player of all time. whatever your opinion of the guy, you do want the best players in the tournament but obviously that aint gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

Two things in there that are both "arguable" to be fair, not just one! Again, in my opinion. For me GOAT has to encompass a lot more than the ability to strike a ball exceptionally well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've no love for Djokovic (or his stance on vaccines) but he's been shafted here. I think the longer he sits in detention the more public sentiment will turn against the Australian authorities farcical handling of this, I would not be at all surprised to see him play the tournament now. Unless he lied about his reasons for a medical exemption that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Debating the rights or wrongs of his situation are somewhat meaningless because different countries have different Covid laws.

When in Rome...........

The last sentence there is key, its why I asked about the appeal hearing being public or not. if it is found that he really did have a verifiable (beyond reasonable doubt) case of covid in the last whenever, he should expect to be able to enter the country. if he pulled a dodgy doctors cert out the hat at the last minute to get an exemption, his reputation is ruined.

His wrongheaded and hubristic stance on vaccines is very unfortunate, to put in mildly. Becker wrote an article today in the Daily Mail in which he pointed out the obvious that Djokovic's opposition to vaccines will hinder his push to be considered the best of of all time and that while its a stance he may well regret in 20 years time, he is single-minded enough to dog it out and not get vaccinated. Inat, anyone?

What keeps rumbling around in my head, is why didn't he use his exemption to play the ATP Cup? He would have been in the country, doing his biggest thing - playing for his country. Any problems would have been ironed out far in advance, and even if he had to quarantine he would have had no problem playing at the AO. The fact that he left it so late suggests to me that he is pulling a fast one, and playing chicken with the AO, who blinked first.

The way the visa seems to work is that they check the supporting documents on arrival, which is where the problems started.

When did Tennis Australia announce that Covid in the last 6 months would get you in to the 2022 Australia Open?

I don't remember any reports last year of Djokovic missing for 10 days isolating due to Covid. I don't subscribe to the bribery theories, but I'd be interested in when he had Covid and what official verification he has. I suppose the safest way for him to go about engineering this, is to purposely contract Covid. To the rest of us, this might seem a bit nuts when the alternative option is to take a vaccine, but as we all agree, his head wiring is different to most of the rest of us.

The next option would be to submit someone else's swab/blood who has recently had Covid for testing in his stead. Maybe a family member/close friend who he can trust to keep quiet. Little risk of the sample being kept/retrieved for investigation later.

The third option would be to get a doctor to certify, but the doctor will still need to organise a fake test to have the results. Bribery in the Serbian medical system is much more common than in Ireland, but I doubt if Djokovic would rely on a bribe. It would have to be a trusted doctor. It might also explain his reluctance to divulge any information to the press about his exemption, because to do so might bring unwanted attention on a friend doing him a favour.

Of course he might genuinely have had a 2nd bout of Covid, but you would then expect things like Stefan telling his friends that tata has Covid again and I can't come to your apartment to play.

lets be honest GOAT is nearly impossible to judge, all we can give is our opinions. For me the reasons I would give are:

Tied for most slams on 20 (so has as many as anybody)

Only player to win all grand slams at least twice and only player in open era to win 4 in a row

Only player in history to win all Masters series and ATP finals (he has won all at least twice)

By far the most weeks ever as world number one

Winning record against every single top rival he has faced including his biggest rivals Federer and Nadal

Has beaten Federer in 3/3 wimbledon finals (Feds favourite surface, not Novaks) and two wins vs Rafa at French Open

Has won the most big titles (combination of slams, masters, ATP finals) than any player in history

Has a very even spread of slam wins across all surfaces (hard court his best surface but has even won 6 Wimbledons!)

I see another player been sent packing, she had already played in a warm up tournament, interesting comment saying being detained same place as Djokovic with several other players

https://www.rte.ie/sport/tennis/2022/0107/1272372-czech-player-detained-as-australian-visa-cancelled/

Yes and at the moment it's looking more like that Tennis Australia (and maybe Victoria State for not bothering to read) "may" be the source of the original fook-up or so leaked docs appear to show.

But moving on to talk about Renata Voracova for a moment ....

(foam and spittle gathering in mouth)

I REALLY WANT TO KNOW - WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS?

WHO DID SHE BRIBE?

SURELY ONLY THE MOST DERANGED VORACOVA WTA BIDDY FAN WILL BE BACKING HER NOW?

(wipes away foam and spittle)

anyway - Australia really pulling out all the stops here in a bit of an obvious back-track effort to try to appear consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Thiem isn't playing and would have no hope of winning on recent form anyway.

• Advertisement

would be good for tennis if they started to earn it, rather than waiting for the big three to retire, or transform into illegal immigrants...

I had thought that Djokovic might sneak 2 slams this year with Nadal maybe taking the French, but hard to know where things will end up at this stake. One or two of Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Zverev are going to be most of the finals.

Advertisement