Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crypto tax situation - Read post 1 for thread banned users

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭Worztron

A huge move! Literally the other side of the world. :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Hi cnocbui.

Can you elaborate on the BTC Cash, gold, etc. bit?

I only have BTC. I'm considering buying some Monero and maybe LTC also sometime.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You said you bought 7 years ago. Since then, the BTC blockchain has been forked - copied - several times. The copies contain the same information from the original blockchain at the time they forked, but get a different coin name, so if you owned one bitcoin when it forked, you will automatically own that same coin in the new forked blockchain, even if the name of the coin is different.

This only really applies if you actually owned the BTC and have the keys to it, not if they are/were on an exchange.

They keys to your BTC will be the same on the new chains/coins, so be very carefull if your holdings are non trivial in value, because if those keys fall into the wrong hands (fake/malicious wallet) while trying to access the forked blockchains, they will rapidly be used to tranfer your original and high value BTC to the fake wallet creator.

There is a quick way of accessing the forked coins and a safe way. The safe way is you export your BTC wallet keys, you then create a second BTC wallet and transfer your BTC to this new wallet from the original wallet. This creates a new set of keys for the BTC. The set of keys you exported before making the transfer, are still valid for the forked coins, so you can safely load those keys into wallets for those forked coins, because even in the unlikely event you use a malicious wallet, your original BTC are now safe. Obviously you could lose the forked coins, but that is less of a financial hit.

Forked coins €:

Bitcoin Cash - BCH 587.49

Bitcoin BTG - 57.59

Bitcoin SV (Satoshi Vision) - 154.41

Bitcoin Private BTCP - 2.91

Bitcoin Diamond BCD -1.76

etc

https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoin-forks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭relax carry on

How would borrowing against your assets reduce your CGT liability? What benefits do you think will be gained from you transfering your assets to a limited company. The deadline approaching is the income tax deadline for filing income tax returns. Most crypto will be covered by CGT. payments of CGT are made in the year the taxable gain occurs and the associated CGT return is made by 31st October the following year. So if you had taxable gains last year where CGT was due, you are late paying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I heard some US influencers and others talk about depositing their crypto somewhere, not selling it, but borrowing against it as this limits or negates taxable events? Apparently this goes on in traditional finance also. Others have also suggested to me using a limited company could mean taxes are cheaper than 33%? I just got into this around October last year so before the end of the year I made if anything a few hundred, if I was not actually at a loss. This year things are different. Happy to learn there is some pressure off and I have time to get things in order.

We would like everything to be above board and taxes paid but it is complicated:

My partner and I (not married, not civil partner) both had accounts on different exchanges where our funds were pooled but for the most part when it was in an account in my name the balance was very close to the several thousand we deposited over a few months as little profits were made, though later this year when the funds were in an account in her name we saw significant gains. We would prefer if taxes were just paid in either my name or hers rather than both, is there a good way to do this, perhaps by just withdrawing from my own account exactly what I put in leaving the balance at zero, and then paying taxes on profits from either our combined amount or just her initial amount?

The funds have been through so many different CEX, some KYC, some not, and so many different DEX trades and different Metamasks, network bridges, risky smart contracts etc. and considering what we would like to do with just one of us paying the taxes, piecing it altogether will be incredibly difficult. We never expected things to go so well so we did not keep proper records or track of old wallets with nothing left in them. Will it suffice to just go through our bank statements (or just hers?), work out the total we ever deposited, subtract it from the total we withdraw leaving all accounts at zero, and then pay 33% of that?

Where can I find a good accountant or financial advisor well versed in crypto? There are very few that come up when searching online.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pawinho

You have to ask tax adviser. At Koinly.io are two option FIFO and FIFO Ireland (Irish cost basis) . FIFO Ireland is with 4 weeks period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Oh I didn't realise they had an option specifically for Ireland! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭langer91

If I had a loss last year and reported this to Revenue to carry over as a future deductible amount against tax due on future profits, do I need to do anything or does this deductible amount automatically carry over to next year? Or is this deductible amount only valid for this year?

Any reported loss, automatically carries forward and is available as an offset against profits in future years.

I see that my bank account online statements only go back to the end of 2014 -- my BTC purchases were before that. However, on the cryptocurrency exchange that was used, I can still see every transaction with all the dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Yup - FIFO applies here in Ireland

I was just replying to the thread in general, I was reading some of the earlier posts and people seemed to be unsure re the Irish position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

Very basic question here, first time CGT payer.

I understand you need to pay the tax first in December (for that year until November), and then file it later, before November the following year.

Why then do I see this rush / people putting in a lot of work for the filing date in November? Don't you already have to have had all your calculations done 11 months earlier (in order to pay it)? And the November date should just be like showing your workings?

Or am I reading it wrong, and the bulk of the work is actually always for the December date every year, rather than the November date.

Sorry again for the basic question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

I don't think there's much of a rush for CGT, it's for income tax that there's a lot of people who leave it to the last minute basically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Bit confused on what this means. If I buy coin for 10 cents, sell for 5 cents 2 weeks later, I cant offset the loss? Similarly, if I bought token for 10 cents, it drops to 5 cents, 5/10/15 weeks later, I cant sell it and buy it back immediately and use the loss against the my taxes?

Also, is the second paragraph saying that I could deduct the loss if I rebought the same coin at a later date and made profit from it? But cant offset against a different coin (if within the 4 week period)?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pawinho

Post edited by Pawinho on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone know anything about how to calculate tax for staking profits?

I.e. its income tax I assume but I'm not sure how to calculate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Income and capital gains apparently...read back.

I'd assume that its Schedule D Case III income, i.e. interest from foreign property. You should ask Revenue though via My Enquiries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭REFLINE1

Has anyone here payed CGT for sale of NFT's, I have some questions, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ChinMusic21

Hi all,

Looking for some advice re stop loss orders and tax

If i set up a stop loss order on my ethereum (eth to euro) in coinbase pro and it executes leaving me with my sold ethereum, but i dont take it off the exchange and then reinvest my euro back in to say eth or btc do i still have to pay cgt on this??

So essentially im selling my crypto but not "cashing out " and leaving it on the exchange to reinvest so it never actually get to my bank account

Yes. Assuming that you've sold at a profit, you've realised a gain regardless of where it is. CGT can be due on the sale, gift or exchange of an asset.

Even if i bought back in the following day at a loss??

Yes. Ireland's tax regime is vicious. It appears to be designed to intentionally discourage people from investing, or if they do, limit as much as possible any benefit they might get from doing so, while bending over backwards for corporate entitties like REITs. In other countries they let people have investment accounts where you only pay CGT on money coming out of the account, ring fencing transactions that happen between the account and investments. But thats other countries.

Don't forget you have a miserly CGT relief of the first €1,270 of profit being exempt CGT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

If you've been lucky or smart enough to acquire a lot of wealth via crypto, best to just leave for somewhere where you're treated better and tell the grasping pinko politicians here to go do one. Things aren't going to change here anytime soon, and if you think it's bad now, how worse will things get under Sinn Fein/PIRA regime in the not too distant future?

• Advertisement

I have plans the emigrate to New Zealand. Currently no CGT, no death duties, no VRT, no DIRT, GST(VAT) of 15%, no CGT on imputed sale of ETFs you haven't sold, petrol is 10c cheaper and the weather and healthcare are a lot better. Houses are mind bendingly expensive and of poor quality, but there's always something.

Quick one,

Does Koinly apply the personal exemption of 1270 when generating the tax report do you know or is that up to the user?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Elessar

Found this brilliant YouTube channel by two Irish lads who explain in detail how to file CGT and income taxes for crypto and everything else:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Hi lads. Is capital gains tax entirely independent of income tax? Like if a person had a poor salary or was unemployed the entire year would they still have to pay the 33% or can be discounted against their (lack of) income?

Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Dude. Before you start booking your trip, I pointed out to you not too long ago on another thread (although maybe it was after the post I am quoting), that you will be taxed on gains from crypto in NZ.

I'm not telling you this to pis$ you off. I'm telling you just in case you actually arrive there and realise you might as well have stayed in Ireland as regards being taxed

Totally different taxes. However if your trading activity is to such an extent that your trades would be considered taxable under income tax; then the normal income tax rules would apply.

So they'd take 33% CGT and also get you for income tax? What a hammering.

No. For most people the activity will fall under CGT. That's 33% on their cumulative annual gain from selling, gifting or exchanging their assets. For some who are trading in huge volumes, they would possibly fall under the income tax regime not CGT.

"For some who are trading in huge volumes, they would possibly fall under the income tax regime not CGT."

What would be consider 'huge'?

You are into how long is a piece of string territory but the badges of trade is where you start. If your trading activity is numerous and material enough to have you thinking in those terms, then you need to consult a tax advisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Volume of transactions is just one factor. Essentially, if you're carrying on a trade, you pay income tax on the profits of the trade, even if the trade is dealing in securities or other assets. But if you;re making investments, the gains from your investments are not the profits of a trade and are not subject to income tax. Until some time in the mid-1970s they were wholly tax-free, but it became politically embarrassing that some people were making obscene amounts of money from property speculation and paying no tax, so CGT was introduced.

So, if you make money by buying and selling assets, which tax you pay depends on whether your activity of buying and selling assets amounts to a trade or business (income tax) or doesn't (capital gains tax). In most cases the answer is perfectly clear - when you buy a picture from an art dealer you're making an investment, but he's carrying on a trade - but there are always going to be borderline cases. They are decided by looking at a range of factors - the nature of the activity the taxpayer is engaging in; how much time the taxpayer spends on it; whether he holds assets long-term or trades them actively; how frequently he engages in the activity; whether he does ancillary work to make the activity more profitable (e.g. if you buy, restore or enhance, and then sell assets that's more likely to be trading than if you simply bought and sold them in the same condition); his motive for the transaction (e.g. is he buying artwork to hang on the wall, or simply because he expects it to appreciate in value?); etc, etc. A holistic view of all the circumstances has to be taken, and circumstances are different in every case, so there is no simple universal rule that can be laid down as to when activity will be trading, and when investment.

It's worth pointing out that when there's a row between a taxpayer and the Revenue over this, nine times out of ten the taxpayer is claiming that his activity is a trade, and the Revenue is denying this. The reason is that the taxpayer has suffered substantial losses in his activity, and he wants to set them off against income from his day job so as to reduce his income tax bill; he can only do this if his activity is a trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Have any of you lads set up limited companies? What sort of income do you need to be pulling in to make it viable I assume over about 120k? I'm a sole trader with a consultancy at present that's doing slightly less than that but maybe the crypto will give me that little boost to get up and over. Of course I think the trading may end up in my personal tax take anyway (or I'd have to limit my personal salary to 40k a year?). I've gotten a lot of mixed information and the people I'm taking to aren't doing crypto.

Ask an accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Question on book keeping for crypto tax purposes.

I keep an excel doc with a record of all my crypto holdings with the following info: 

Cost price in €, Cost price in $, Amount & Date/Time of Purchase

In some cases I have to do multiple trades to purchase a particular crypto e.g.

1) On Coinbase Pro I purchase XLM with my €

2) I transfer my XLM to Kucoin

3) In Kucoin I trade all my XLM to USDT

4) In Kucoin I trade all my USDT to ONE

5) On viper.exchange I swap my ONE to WAGMI

6) I hodl the WAGMI token

In my excel tracker the only thing I am recording is the WAGMI token and it's cost price & amount etc.

I don't keep a record of all the intermediary transactions because these are all done within 30 minutes so there should be no taxable benefit to any of them. When I do come to sell or trade my WAGMI I will then calculate CGT based on the sale price - cost price.

Does this seem reasonable? Or should my bookkeeping track all those intermediary transactions and calculate their CGT even though there will most likely be zero.

Why haven't you just being buying usdt on kucoin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Sorry I dont get the question.

I do buy USDT on Kucoin. I buy it because it is one of the options available to trade to the ONE coin. I can't buy ONE coins directly from €

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hi all

After years of hodling, I need to cash out a portion of my crypto

I admit I haven't had time to read this thread in full. What confuses me is assessing the base cost of the crypto, does revenue allow for 'average cost'? If not it will be rather laborious to work out

Thanks in advance

Omt

No they don't. The base cost is that of the first quantity you bought, that matches the quantity you are selling. First in, first out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Yeah they do it first in, first out.

You could always just borrow against your crypto if you don't want to have to deal with tax on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Thanks guys I assumed as much, pain in the butt to work out. Might try a loan against it instead.

Advertisement