Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There was no reference in the drug report to MUP. And as far as I can see none in that alcohol report either. No point in speculating about the effect of MUP from studies which did not examine it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not an expert on airline law... if it was a ship I would say once you are outside irish waters you can do what you like.

A raffle might be a special case as you are not purchasing a (guaranteed) service. Id imagine of it was abused - like a 1 euro ticket and half the people win - itd be next in the firing line.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Driving gloves

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

I live in north county Dublin. Just under an hour to sainsburrys in Newry.

I could fill the boot and the back seats.

My da could fill the work can to the gills.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Different rules already apply to airlines. e.g., they can sell/give you alcohol at times that no other licensed premises could. So they must be operating outside Irish legislation already.

The GAA raffle should have been cleared/licensed by the local garda station. I suspect there'd be no issue with an alcohol prize as long as it's a bona fida raffle under accepted norms. But by the same extension Tesco can't sell you a raffle ticket for 1cent if you spend €50 on alcohol, with 99% of tickets winning 4 cans. That wouldn't be a valid raffle.

Why can’t we have a free market and let consenting adults buy products and services from other consenting adults?

No minimum alcohol pricing, no prohibitive licensing laws, no sugar tax.

As long as no discrimination or racism or sexism is happening then remove most regulatory blocks from the market.

• Advertisement

Why couldn’t the raffle system work and who decides what’s accepted?

I put on a raffle for €2 and 9 out of 10 tickets win a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I never said the report I provided a link to on drug related deaths in Scotland referenced MUP and just provided a link to that report as it showed the increased numbers of deaths. This was in response to another poster looking for references for these numbers which were reported on BBC news as reaching record levels in Scotland last year three years after MUP came into force. You can draw your own conclusions from these record levels of drug related deaths in the only country to bring in MUP before Ireland but I don't see how you can justify not acknowledging these numbers just because they don't break them down in relation to MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Too many vested interests with a lot to lose if your idea was implemented.

There is a point when the good of individuals, even when it is the good of the majority, actually worsens the lives of the overall population. As well as some of your examples, say everyone could get a very cheap car which has zero pollution cheap fuel. Happy days for loads of people, but the roads would probably be clogged up to make traffic jams unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm struggling to see how I twisted figures about drug deaths and MUP.

The spike was before MUP and continued through MUP.

So MUP is not responsible for the spike in drug deaths..

• Advertisement

I can't draw any conclusions because there is no study of any link between the deaths and MUP. As well as that the anti MUP posters were very careful not to reference the higher annual percentage increases in drug deaths prior to 2018, compared to the post 2018 figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

Because we end up paying for the harm resulting through taxation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Frank Feighan was the man junior minister that started the ball rolling in March with these skewed bullcrap figures and the same man who referred to pocket money drinks.

Frank Feighan, the junior minister for public health, said the Irish government could “not wait any longer for Northern Ireland” to protect problem drinkers. Research shows that 2,700 deaths per year in Ireland are attributable to alcohol.

What a load of utter horsecrap. No surprise he used to be a publican. No idea if he still is, or at least owns premises and lets them. I would almost bet he was a teacher ina former life, I know nothing about him.

What on earth was the rush to push ahead?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The memories are still fresh in my head from 20 years ago when I would be out clubbing and come onto the streets at 3am, it was pure anarchy with drunk arseholes falling in front of cars, spilling chips and litter all over the place, smashing pint glasses, puking and p*ssing down alleys and getting in scraps.

It's time to call a halt, the binge drinking can't go on. There comes a time when you just have to come to your senses and put a stop to it.

Yes the anti MUP crowd were banging the Scottish drug deaths post MUP drum for a long time before another poster on another thread about Roisin Shortall pointed out that it was spiking since 2013.

Then it was brought here.

But some still bang that drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And yet your post was still straw man garbage, again you can be angry about this and not have it financially destroy you and it does not require 1k to make a run north worthwhile.

Can you prove his figures are bullcrap or is that just an opinion ?

So like other modern European countries do let's stagger night club closings and stop trying to restrict everything so people no longer feel the need to pound the booze due to the closing times.

Just wait till the citizens assembly start looking into decriminalising drugs as has been mooted, then you will see how much of a dinosaur this man really is as he still refers to cannibis as a gateway drug and yet he's in charge of our drugs policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And MUP stops this how?

This is the second time you have tried to say the spike in drug related deaths in Scotland was before MUP when the figures clearly show the deaths per year have continued to increase since its introduction. I've no reason to keep repeating myself and as I said before you can draw your own conclusions from the figures that show many more deaths per year now from drugs in Scotland with an increase in these numbers each year since MUP has been in force there.

I find it equally ridiculous that the figures that show record deaths from alcohol two years after MUP came into force in Scotland are also being shrugged off as insignificant just because the poster claims the report does not reference specifically MUP. The way your tunnel vision is working in this discusion makes me think the two of you might just be from AAI yourselves and responsible for this rediculous legislation that is so prejudiced against people on lower incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

At least I'm no longer part of the anti-alcohol brigade, sorry that label didn't work out for you this time.

The rest of your post is a bit of a word salad. I'm not particularly pleased about MUP, I won't be financially destroyed by it, and I may potentially grab a few bits up north next time I'm in that direction - so what?

My point was limited to the type of person on the thread claiming to be the second coming of Bob Cratchit while also planning to head up a convoy to load up on van loads of drink; the two don't really reconcile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭HBC08

Any update on your claim that you'd need to buy 1300 bottles of beer to break even on a trip to the North?

To put that absurd claim into real terms,in pre Covid travel times you could travel from the vast majority of capital cities anywhere on the planet to Newry and back for less than €2600.(That figure is the increase that I would pay for my favoured beer x 1300)

You know you're losing when you resort to this kind of dishonesty.You seem to be able to put a sentence together and don't come across as dumb.....so you know this is not true,yet you're here raging against the tide.

I might get a bit emotive and people can have different opinions but if you can't put your point across honestly then I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Universal Basic Income for self Certified artists 😂

Did you ever look for any evidence about the outcomes so far in Scotland from MUP? Instead of taking your conclusions from studies which have nothing to do with it. I googled MUP Scotland Studies, and there are plenty of links, none of which I looked at in detail. I would say it is too soon to draw definitive conclusions. If it becomes apparent that the MUP is too low, it can always be increased to see if that will improve public health.

Why not just bring in prohibition in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm absolutely loving how the pro MUP blowhards are losing their absolute **** over some posters making a choice to spend their money as they see fit up north.

Its the same how they want to control what little luxuries anyone can buy.

Maybe everyone on the thread should give their bank cards over to the zealots so they can be kept safe from exercising their mad free will and run every purchase through them. Probably arrange it 3 days in advance so they can have a committee meeting on whether you are losing the run of yourself.

They'll be asking you to cut back on avocado's and take out coffees next....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

A lot of people citing the price increase as though it is the only issue with this.

Just pointing out and reminding.. It's not.

• Advertisement

You are already calling for MUP to be increased within less than a week of it coming into force. My guess that you must be from AAI and therefore responsible for this forerunner of complete prohibition of alcohol might not be too far off the mark. If it is shown that MUP has not been effective (as seems apparent to me from record levels of drug related deaths and deaths from alcohol in years since it has been in force there) will it be removed just to allow people on low incomes have less financial stress?

Advertisement