Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well if your argument is that people are entitled to be morons, then yes they are indeed.

And other people are entitled to then label them morons.

I think Gregor Ssmsa summed it up quite well.

The only thing I will add is that there is modern phenomenon that has come into play over the last decade or so and it is this idea that all beliefs no matter how cock a mamie deserve equal billing or standing in discussions.

It is also at play when discussing cultures.

No wonder we have flat earthers and the like when you have people defending the proponents based on a mindset that they are entitled to their beliefs and the rest of us can't ridicule them as idiots.

Also there seems to be a concerted effort by some to be totally anti science.

!4th century Rome would have been proud.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Didn't Derby have to release a statement pointing out their player who had cardiac problems was not because of the vaccine like so many loopers said on the internet.

Because he wasn't vaccinated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You’d wonder how this clown is still on Australian soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think a lot of those pumped full of vaccines are having Jabster Regret Syndrome , and are determined to get those not vaccinated jabbed, or to exclude them from society. Omicron has spread like wild fire among the vaccinated in Ireland, as we have a 95% vaccination rate, and the highest case numbers in Europe with Omicron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

By just another "Factcheck" opinion a la when Facebook admitted the truth. Factcheckers are an non binding Opinion https://nypost.com/2021/12/14/facebook-admits-the-truth-fact-checks-are-really-just-lefty-opinion/

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the NY Post? you may as well post a link to the National Enquirer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Any chance this post could be stickied in every forum on Boards? Brilliantly put together. Weird how mad forums and social media have become since the early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I always pity the unvaccinated because they clearly lack the intellect to make good decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Some amount of overreaction to all this.

If someone doesnt want to get a jab they are only increasing their risks very marginally of getting sick. When that someone is a massively fit athlete with no risk factors they have less of a chance of getting sick. An average person of his age is has less that 1% chance of becoming badly ill, his chances are even lower, and with the new variant its lower again.

getting jabbed doesnt stop you passing it on so its not like he is putting others at risk.

if he does become ill then he will be off to a private hospital to pay for his own treatment.

Some people want to cop themselves on about all this, getting into a tissy about this small thing when there are other aspects of the current covid response worthy of actual outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

Djokovic is The lance Armstrong of tennis (before being caught for doing The stuff that he was doing). The same Bone headed arrogance. It is History repeating)

This is a guy who until he was 24 !(when you are in your physical peak !) had serious stamina issues and was unable to physically compete against The other top players

An unknown Serbian doctor was watching his performance on tv and got in touch with him, and told him bread was the reason for his physical collapses . How many Red flags do you want. Quitting bread transformed him into winning 0 slams to winnings 2 or 3 slams per Year consistently

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/revealed-the-diet-that-saved-novak-djokovic-8775333.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Australia 15-0 Djokovic. Return Serb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I couldn't care less if he's vaccinated or not, his decision. But he can't have a 1 up over the rest of the tour who ARE vaccinated just because of his status. He should rightly be deported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think the "Dr. Nick" gif gave that post away as sarcasm.

Well considering Omicron is spreading like wildfire all those who never got vaccinated are going to have natural antibodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya it didn't load the first time I saw the post.

It was excellently written satire. Just the kind of unhinged language you see from the loony crowd

he appealed so he is in a hotel until the appeal is heard.

Plus he had covid already and has antibodies, even better antibodies than the vaccine could provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Of course not all beliefs opinions and views are equally valid. Somethings are certifiably fact and it doesn’t matter how many people “agree” with or “support” any particular idea, if it is wrong it is wrong it is wrong and needs to be called out.

Where the problems start is when people take it a step further and decide that if a vocally loud group decide that they disapprove of a particular opinion, then that opinion must be silenced.

This notion of “deplatforming”people who veer even slightly away from what is actually quite a small group have decided is the only way to think is very dangerous and if it’s not arrested it will be very harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I'd have liked it if out of control Chad unvaxxed Djokovic showed up to Australia standing on the bow of a yacht wearing just a Hawaiian shirt, cowboy boots, and chrome aviators with a lit cigar in one hand and an AK47 in the other.

• Advertisement

That's just silly, Novak is a good guy, not some far right nutjob. The guy had covid, has antibodies, and does not want to get vaccinated due to a medical choice.

and australia didn't accept whatever evidence he provided. that is their choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Handy bit of distraction/patriotism for the upcoming elections in Oz.

I think I am right in saying he obtained his medical exemption, but his visa was not in order. Seems like a legal issue to me and deportation would be instant for anyone else without a proper visa. Appeals are handy, will they be held before the tournament starts?

I neither know nor care about this man, but the law and regulations should apply to him as they do to everyone else. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Since when have immigration rules ever applied to everyone equally?!

how quickly we have forgotten about “protecting the elderly” and now its about people being pitted against people while governments spend millions and millions on measures that are mostly negligible or counterproductive and that we are all going to have to pay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Just an inconvenient truth that does not fit the narrative.

Like the highest ever seen increase in death rates among working age people being reported by insurance companies in the USA, deaths in the 18 to 64-years-old range are up 40% in the third and fourth quarter of 2021 over pre-pandemic levels. Will see when life insurance premiums begin ramping up.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

See how casually you throw that in as an argument against the safety of vaccines?

And yet, the person who made the specific claim postulates that the increased death rate is possibly due to Covid 19 itself, or the overstretched health system caused by Covid, and furthermore he will be requiring all employees of his insurance company to be vaccinated on return to the office:

so the source is arguing exactly against what you’re using it for.

Personally, I’d let the dust settle and proper analysis be done on any such complex, wide-ranging statistics with so many variables before drawing any conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The mass formation psychosis guy....Christ....lol.

He said that in LinkedIn..yes..it doesn't make it true...which it isn't.... if you do any digging at all.

Do you honestly look into any of this nonsense or do you just take it on face value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

He's claiming a medical exemption, so I was going by that. I'm not even going to try and judge whether that claim is valid. By the noises made by the Serbian President here, Victoria may be disputing his claim:

Vučić said he had spoken to Djokovic twice and to the player’s father multiple times, and Serb ministers were in touch with their Australian counterparts. “All are asking just one thing: to let Novak move out from this horrific hotel into a rented home,” the president said.

So it appears that he's in a hotel, and not in a house, because the medical exemption claim is being disputed, and the visa wrangling is seen as secondary to that, at least in Serbia!

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Here's a good one. Dr. Florian Egger and his team has been tracking cardiac arrest in football players since 2014 for FIFA. He was asked about this sudden increase people are talking about.

https://twitter.com/kenearlys/status/1470347845958094851?s=20

you can prove anything with facts and sources. what is the fun in that?

Hopefully all this is being documented for an upcoming special of "Nothing to Declare". I do love the Australian one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Just watching C4 news and it has turned into a fantastic PR exercise the Aus open so he will be playing. The Lawyers will get paid and its a great distraction from Covid... I just seen that the poor fellow is in Jail in a fancy hotel without bars except for drink... How awful... ik do expect it may effect his preparation but i wager he will play... I think its a great story... a good news story about Covid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

Novak Djokovic is an elite athlete with a team of advisors. He has the same amount of advisors as most high end government officials . To say he accidentally chose The wrong Visa as a mistake is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't understand why he still wants to play there. He clearly isn't wanted in the country. He knows his non presence devalues the competition.

He also presumably is still in possession of the actual Australian Open trophy, not the replica. He should never return it and not play in Australia again. Which again would be a hammerblow to the tournament, as he has won it the most times. Whenever they try to get a gathering of champions (which is regular in Tennis grand slams), he'll be absent. It will be a snub for a tournament that is by a mile the least prestigious of the 4 majors.

He'll likely be absent from the Frence Open too if Macron wins the election and goes full tyrant on non Vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Except it really doesnt devalue anything.

And he wouldn't be "snubbing" anyting as he wouldn't be welcome to start with. Hes shìtting on his own legacy and nothing else.

It's not really surprising that Djokovic thought that all was grand really.

As you know Australia has a Federal (states) system.

Each State has its own parliament as well as there being a national parliament.

Djokovic had been given the ok by Victoria State and Tennis Australia by being granted an exemption (two level medical board granted this including one from the State of Victoria) to play at the Australian Open (reason speculated that he had a recent Covid infection)

The Australian Prime Minister, Morrison (Federal level who control the borders) also said that they would go along with the state decision - as "that's how it works" apparently!

In fairness, he was pretty fcuked over by the politicians as soon as there was a bit of public backlash

Initially, Mr Morrison had said he accepted the Victorian government's decision to grant Djokovic and other tennis players medical exemptions. On Tuesday, he said federal authorities, who control the borders, would "act in accordance" with the state's decision as "that's how it works".

But amid the public outrage, by Wednesday he had backflipped. Mr Morrison warned that Djokovic would be sent home if he failed to provide proper medical proof for his exemption.

But when Djokovic got to the passport window they decided to change their mind on what they (Federal) had already said.

Then Federal gets back onto State and say - "Listen, we've got Djokovic here but don't like the cut of his jib on this reason for getting around the vaccine requirement for the Visa to get into Australia, Will you back him though on the Visa thing seeing as you were involved already in approving him to play in the Australian Open in Victoria"

Victoria state came back "Eh no actually isn't that your job?"

The state was the second stage of the panel approval process already on giving him the exemption to play in the event, in the state of Victoria, but "things had changed" by the time they were asked (different people of course but still same level of approval and he would have been in) by Federal Border Force when Djokovic at the airport to give the go-ahead and started playing, "not our job", that's Federal.

Nobody wanted to be seen to approve him at that point, most especially politicians!

Victoria / Melbourne is already riddled with Omicron (> 20,000 cases in Melbourne alone yesterday) which as we know spreads quite well through the vaccinated so Djokovic would not be making any difference there

The public backlash is more about current and past poor pandemic decisions (complete foobar on PCR testing there at the moment and huge shortage on Antigen tests with price-gouging) - the public are mad

There is also a federal election coming up that has to be held before the end of May!

There are also 3 to 5 other players who got in to Australia already on exemptions and are set to play, at least 1 (maybe more) of which used the same reasons for exemption as Djokovic!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

He is a talented tennis player and to be honest when you look at all the young athletes & sports people who have died i dont blame him . This whole fiasco just shows how divisive the vaccine is among people it brings out the worst in everyone. Those who willingly took all the vaxxes have a hatred for those who dont wish to be experimented on which is their right & i am perplexed at the vitriol this athlete, who wishes to play well and therefore not take any drugs he is not sure of, is receiving all over the world. its like the vacinated people resent the un vaxed cos they have shown individualism & back bone in the face of medical tyranny .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I think you’re looking for the Creative Writing forum, pal.

Who are all these young sports people who have died mary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think this will ultimately hurt Novak… he’ll have a lot less support from tennis fans / neutrals at competitions…Serbians yes as he’s a god there and can’t do wrong and isn’t according to any Serbian online or those camping or demonstrating outside his hotel…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Australia is a 1st world democracy and as is the case in most similar countrys the will of the majority kinda makes up the rules.I was in Australia last month (did the 2 week quarantine into November, wasn't looking forward to it but thems the rules) and much like here the anti vax crowd is miniscule and loud.So they can consider anybody they like an idiot but they'll still have to go by the rules.

There's nothing that riles people up as much as 'one rule for us and one for them".That's what's essentially happening here,the arrogance and entitlement is strong in this one.This guys mother on the news saying he's been held like a prisoner isn't going to win any fans over (in Australia or anywhere else)

Novak is on the doorstep of history, they're trying to stop him walking on in and making history. Currently its a tie

Federer 20

Novak 20

Nadal 20

Each on 20 Grand Slams, and Novak is the Austrailan expert .

How many advisors does he have, exactly? What qualifies these experts for infallibility?

I ask because I have observed that professional athletes’ entourages tend to be comprised of the same old thick **** they went to school with, or thick **** members of their family. All this “they are the best of the best, this team of advisors” stuff is lifted from Michael Bay or Avengers films where everyone is hyper-capable and efficient to a fault, rather than drooling yes men.

The harsh reality is that “advisors” amongst even the upper echelons of power are flawed and capable of huge mistakes, never mind the flies swarming around a piece of **** like Djokovic.

yeah, what the other poster said is not true in his case, he travels with his coach (goran ivanisevic), his physio and his trainer.

his family (including loose cannon father) are also there.

he flew in on a commercial flight.

of course he has a sports agent somewhere also but his core "team" is the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

It’s about money and image and ego and nothing else.

he's trying to break the record for the most grand slams.

Djokovic, Nadal and Federer are all tied on 20 slam titles

Djokovic's best slam record is in Australia where he has won 9 titles already

that's why he wants to play

People really love to imagine that anyone who is successful is surrounded by a hyper-trained team of all-star scientists. Bespectacled boffins flicking test tubes while racquets get their strings tested in a clean room by a robot. “The President is on the line Mr Djokovic.” “Tell him I’m busy, and get the chopper ready to go in five.”

Meanwhile it’s just lads in tracksuits sitting around playing cards or getting cans of Red Bull for Djokovic after his afternoon nap. “The Sultan of Brunei wants you to play a game next July.” “Yeah whatever.”

yeah, and he's the no.1 player in the world

many players can't even afford to have their coach (if they even have a full-time coach) travel with them full time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement