Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

looking At the beepbeep data, the Tesla is also an overwhelmingly ‘Dublin’ car, with 65% of Tesla sales, and a further 15% across the commuter counties of Wicklow, Meath and Kildare.

for comparison, Dublin accounts for 42% of non-Tesla EVs, almost in line with the population proportion you’d expect, allowing for EVs not suiting a lot of rural areas.

even a big commuter county like Louth, with two of the largest towns in the country, and we’ll inside the range of most EVs, registered just 8 teslas all year. 8.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'd expect to be a niche car, in the same way Joe Public buys a Focus TDCi, where as someone else will buy a 320d.

There will always be people who will buy the higher priced car, hopefully, as we need them to feed those of us that buy them second hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

etronics (including saloons), EV6's, ioniq 5's have full order books on similar price range so there is an appetite from Joe public ( been checking this in dealers).

Also bear in mind that Joe public hasn't been able to buy a car because of the chip crisis in the last two year

There has been a very strong jobs market and people unable to spend money on houses (labour shortage) or go on holidays has lead to savings level as being 4 times the normal level in 2021 (cso figures) so there is a market there it's clear it's not being serviced.

Can you point to anything that shows there no market other that hearsay? Also doesn't care about propulsion there has been 115% increase in EV's and even more in hybrid and PHEV.

Yes largest population and most affluent so that is the Tesla market along with other affluent areas (more and more of these now)

Also the population of Louth is just over 2% of the population of Ireland and 8 telsa's represents 1% of registrations so not too far off

tesla was the future of EVs, but got a hair under 10% of the Irish EV market last year - that’s got to be low versus most other markets?

im not saying there’s no market, of course there is, I’m saying the Tesla numbers will suffer that post-launch-year dip in sales just like any other new model from any other manufacturer - and bear in mind Tesla only sell 1 volume model in Ireland at this moment in time.

They’re unlikely to make up long term sales numbers from the MY here either, if the action on the boardsie MY thread is anything to go by, versus the thousands of messages on the M3 thread(s), tracking marine traffic for 6 months in advance of deliveries :)

all that m3 hype delivered about 1,400 cars over 2 years. The Y won’t come close, not a chance, (and the 3 was announced 6 years ago next month, so the 3 is needed for their volume for many years to come)

• Advertisement

I think you made my point for me there'll be a demand because their not servicing the market.

2nd highest registered car in UK and 39th in Ireland in 2021.

Its good for people who have a Tesla so they have teslas tinted glasses on (obviously white).

But think of it this way if they sell as low niche number of cars how much will the to invest in charging infrastructure and be likely to open it t ok other EVs.

Ok we agree then the market is not being serviced by Tesla.

UK and Ireland tracked at a similar level on EV's and % of which were telsa.

Ireland registered a 18% increase 2021 UK registered 40% increase.

This coincided with energy crisis in UK and also change in logistics now for Irish cars through Europe instead of UK now.

The flip side of course is that if they sell in niche numbers, you could easily buy the absolute entry level €49k M3 this year and sell it 3 years time with less than €10k depreciation. The upgraded m3 is now a great great buy - but again, it’s €50k, so the volume just won’t be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

I think its because of the dealer network - up till v recent only have one dealer who is in Dublin. I almost never see one in Kerry but see plenty of ever more expensive SUV's down here

The only market we should care about is Ireland - and you’re right that it’s under serviced by Tesla, but the other guys are throwing out EV’s by the dozen now, so any semblance that Tesla were early to our market is gone, and range anxiety isn’t nearly the issue people thought it would be, so the Tesla marketshare will always be v low here.

tesla require that ‘hype’, and the hype right now is on other EVs - and Tesla will be relying on the 3 for Irish sales for literally years to come - meanwhile lots of cool cars we don’t even know about yet will be hyped, announced, built and delivered - and Tesla will still be touting the M3.

so if you’re wondering if the M3 is going to get more updates than windows Vista over the coming years, the answer is a big big yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Saying the other brands are throwing out EVs isn't really true though. Hyundai and Kia perhaps, although they're often more expensive than a Tesla. VW huge waiting lists and again costs as much as a Tesla once you spec it the same.Toyota zero, BMW is it 50 i4s for Ireland this year?

Ireland is always at the bottom of the food chain for cars nothing new here.

Your missing my point I'm not slagging off the car it's fabulous, I've spent 6 months trying to get one.

The point is Tesla are not servicing the demand in the Irish market compared to other markets.

And in this we need to look at the UK as ok only RHD markets (bar Malta in Europe I think).

Do not think Tesla will have the advantage going forward nearly all cars coming in 2022 from other OEM's will have SOTA updates.

Mercedes have beaten them to L3 autonomous driving, also the Chinese are coming.

Also remember the M3 is a mass market car in Tesla's business plan. Model S, roadster etc. are supposed to be the niche cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

I think people are missing the elephant in the room with regards Tesla sales is their selling and trade in model. No low rate PCP, no garages or service centres outside Dublin, lazy trade in model and no targeted advertising. The reality is most people lease cars in Ireland and the UK now, they offer that option in the UK and don't here, I would say that makes up a huge chunk of the difference in the sales alone. I don't accept that if you wanted a tesla in 2021 you wouldn't get it (in most cases).

Again proof they don't service the Irish market. Tesla don't offer leasing in their site in the UK you need to go through a 3rd party company which you can do here also.

Yes you could have a Tesla but not what you ordered. Maybe a LR or performance (through inventory) not a sniff of an SR and they seem to be adopting Ford model T sales pitch

You can have any colour you want as long as Its black (white in Tesla's case).

Irish market which is strong is an after thought.

Post edited by podge1979 on

VW is across the board in other markets also which is consistent. Interesting with Hyundai seems Irish market is serviced better especially with new EV going by UK forums. Also Irish cars at premium and premium plus have better specs than the UK which is strange also.

I enquired about a ioniq 5 last August same time as the Tesla but was told word be a good chance of sept delivery for the M3 (which has gone to march now) and Jan for the ioniq

I contacted Hyundai dealer in December had choice of two colours and due for pick up next week.

Again point I'm making is Tesla are not supporting the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

They have a pcp deal coming you can email them to get quotes at the moment. Now it's crap with a comically low GFMV which makes it pointless and the APR is higher than the HP. But it will exist. The GFMV on your 50K car after 3 years is 8.5K. I'm not sure what their finance partner thinks they are doing with that.

I agree that the lack of service centers puts off buyers from outside Dublin, rumors of one in Cork at some point, they have that pop up store there.

On the if you wanted a Tesla in 2021 you could get one though, disagree, I still don't have one after 3+ months and know of good few others on various forums and groups with older orders than that which also got pushed to this year. It's probably going to be at least 5 months to get it from time of ordering or potentially more but lets stay positive. Those orders are probably all standard RWD orders, the LR is easier to get as there is less demand as not qualifying for the grant makes it 30% more expensive than the standard. Hard to justify 15K for a 90km theoretical range increase, an extra motor and a few extra lights and speakers.

8.5k FFS! I thought to he 23k mentioned in boards for ioniq5 for 53k car was bad.

GFMV on PCP's has gotten a lot lower but 8.5k is off the wall.

I did a PCP in 2016 and was 15k GFMV on a 30k car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The fact is that Tesla can sell any cars they produce globally so a niche market like Ireland does not interest them (yet), but once the giga Berlin comes online this most likely will change. The lack of realistic PCP also shows that they don't want to become a volume player here. Once the European production has ramped up they could actually launch a RWD Model Y at €50k which would surely attract multiples of interest over the €70k AWD model. This pricing would be in the sweet spot in Irish market.

Tesla are a very half hearted operation in Ireland. Until they release some cheaper models and better financing options the situation remains. For proper market share they will also need a model competing in ID.3/LEAF price segment but that won't happen for a few more years yet. But I'm actually quite hopeful that a 50k€ Model Y will happen towards the end of the 2022.

for sure Tesla don’t make it easy for Irish buyers.

the only option is cash (why would you bury that much money, while interest rates are low), or the 4.9% AIB car loan.

I think the point still stands - Tesla will have one mass market model in Ireland for years to come (and we know how awful they are at delivering anything they announce), while a collection of other manufacturers will come to the market with multiple models.

I know cars are hard to land at the moment, but even just the id4 on its own sold almost double the m3. It hit the Irish sweet spot for sure. no matter how dour us car anoraks might think it is, that’s clearly what buyers want - imagine next year when there’s maybe 5 or 6 realistic offerings in that €40-50k mass market.

tesla might maintain their sales numbers here in ‘22-26 (7-900 pa), but drop a lot in market share.

Post edited by sk8board on

VW does make it easier to buy cars and also they actually need to sell a decent number of EVs for emissions reasons in EU. For them the EVs are also very profitable especially the higher spec models so it's a doubly good reason for VW to be selling them in numbers. Gotta keep the dealers busy.

The fact is that Tesla can sell any cars it can build for time being so they are not even trying to make it easy nor affordable. I love the fact that there are no mandatory yearly dealer service visits required. Hopefully this will continue in the future also. Eventually Tesla will need to up the game, and that time will happen once their two new factories are fully running sometime in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

700-900 unit sales per year is bringing in revenue of between €40m- €55m per annum, and while only small change in the grand scheme of things in the Tesla world, it's not an insignificant number either and one they'll be at least keen to maintain, and I'm sure be happy to do so. S & X (& Y) deliveries would help to solidify those sales numbers if/when 3 sales taper off slightly.

The push with the new SuC sites (it'll be 5 new sites within 7-8 months in a few weeks), as well as the Cork SC says they are happy enough with their Irish operation as it is.

Market share was always going to fall once legacy auto finally got it's arse in gear and started shipping EV's in volume, but I'd say market share % is irrelevant to Tesla (in fact, as per their MO, it is irrelevant)

The big picture for Tesla will be their self projected 10M annual sales in 2030. It's sounds very ambitious I admit, but what do it know, apart from the fact that I really like our Model 3 and it would be quite hard to buy some other make of car: This is after experiencing the 99% dealer free experience, the painless charging networks and well planned software updates and other design aspects of Tesla.

I think i read recently that even if Tesla got every planned car plant built and up to full capacity, it still doesn’t equate to 10m cars by 2030. Their recent Q4 deliveries would strongly suggest they’ll finally hit 1m deliveries for 2022 though.

again though, I doubt someone buying a Corolla thinks about the fact that Toyota build 10m cars.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Are there any more new plants in the pipeline?

Freemont - operational

Shanghai - operational

Berlin - semi operational

Texas - in construction

You'd think another plant in both Europe & Asia would be on the cards soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

On a side note, its amazing how active the thread is. Every day many post. Shows there is a lot of interest in the Model 3 and its still super popular. The other brands cars dont create half the interest online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Tesla have always been different in their sales platform is purely online. They don't have a dealer network but instead operate an agency model.

I've always been of the view that Tesla is a niche manufacturer purely because they do things their own way. They will never be able to compete on volumes compared to other manufacturers (at least in the medium term), but they will always be at the cutting edge.

Joe Public can have his Brand X EV. This is why I bought a Tesla:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why is the graph not comparing VW, Hyundai and Kia to Tesla? The three of those have invested more in EV platforms than any of those shown and would be a better comparison I would have thought?

I suspect that above is a reference to fanboyism which is not common amongst Corolla customers? How Tesla plans to become a true volume player, who knows. So far they have tended to do things differently and I hope this will continue in the future also.

In the several past years they have had it easy: Tesla have had no need for a large number of niche models to cater for all of the main market segment, while being able to sell all of the cars they can produce without any marketing or giving discounts. They have actually been able to drive up the unit price while selling ever increasing numbers of their very profitable "volume" models. And have been able to pretty much abandon their S/X line of more expensive cars that are expensive to build. Not to mention the Roadster. The Model 3 was supposed to be cheap to build car for mass market but due to high demand there has been a push to "premium" it. Hence it has become a very profitable car to build. With the current LFP chemistry the RWD has to be one of the best earners in the history of car making. But as it is so carefully designed car both feature-wise and in practise, Tesla totally gets away with it. And the current examples are also pretty much faultless build-wise also. It's a great credit for them: For example the lack of buttons and carefully selected hardware is pure genius from the manufacturers point of view: Allows you to totally change the operation of the car with just software.

At some stage in the near future they'll need to start to actually sell the cars as opposed to drip feed them in the markets. And for that the products will actually need to be much less profitable. And also Tesla will need to battle with the other volume makers like Toyota. Will this lead to expanding number of models required? I still don't understand why Model 3 was designed as a saloon which is the worst form factor for a family car. That small boot opening is a real pain in the neck. They'll need to produce a hatchback of some sort soon for the European market.

It remains to be seen how Tesla will engineer the growth from 1->X Million vehicles sold per annum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Isn't there a Tesla Talk thread for all this

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement