Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sock-Puppetting and the Current Affairs Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

reporting of posts doesn't result in infractions. Only the contents of a post can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

True, but many posts with similar content don't get infracted. Mods are only human and they firstly need a report, and like referees swayed by a home crowd, the volume of reporting may also come into play.

Beasty has already referenced the aspect of multiple thanking of each other's posts as one of the key aspects of detecting this. I wonder if multiple reporting of other posters was another.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, but only one sustained serious political bot - that McMurphy account. I suppose it is now ok to refer to McMurphy as a shinnerbot?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

All gone very quiet today. I understand the equivalent site in Australia has unearthed a few issues today.....

🎾🎾

I believe the Aussie government have been involved and declared Game Set and Match against their unwanted poster (boy)

AH has regular updates on the situation....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If the 'post' breaks the rules it doesn't matter who reported it.

• Advertisement

If you can present evidence he was botting for SF...away you go.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

On the Reported Posts point, I'm not seeing many reports that would work towards clamping down on particular political issues or views. What we usually see is reports focussing on general aspects of posting rather than content. Uncivil or abusive posting are the areas we would look to deal with and make up a large proportion of reports in CA. Somewhere like the Coronavirus forum would see similar reports but more of an emphasis on misinformation, conspiracy theories and the like

We see posters regularly try and make other posters the topic, and that is something we really do not like. Anyone should feel free to post their views (within forum and site rules of course) without facing interrogation from others over their intentions, or people pointing out certain aspects of their posting. These situations should be reported and the thread itself should not become a discussion of particular users or moderation. All that does is drag more people into making similar comments derailing threads further. Of course that has happened in this thread with comments about one particular poster starting to dominate the discussion. As always it's a case of reporting and letting the mods (or in this case Admin) have a look at it. We are best placed to see if there is any evidence to support any "allegations"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,194 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

An educated guess...'McMurphy' being a single male.

Detectives everywhere! 

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, I mean, he almost exclusively posted pro-SF content but, like your good self, maybe, claimed to have only, fairly recently, started to vote for SF.

To question his SF affiliation is, simply, risible. Although, one thing this whole “mess” has shown is that there doesn’t seem to be as many men behind the wire as previously thought.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

I didn't question that.

If somebody is a 'ShinnerBot' that suggests he is being paid by SF to post. Otherwise we could call somebody who exclusively defends FG or FF Bots too.

That he was paid by SF needs to be evidenced in fairness.

Don’t be ridiculous, F, shinnerbots aren’t paid. They’re volunteers giving up their time for “the cause”, getting loose directions from, unnamed, shady figures adjacent to the SF hierarchy, of course.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Well that needs to be evidenced too.

As I said, that claim could be made about anyone who supports a political party on here.

Beasty id have to take exception to the idea that francie is being made the focus of things by others on this thread or any other thread

Is it not a clear case as always that he comes in and absolutely mugs off a thread (always away from the damage to SF) like he's doing right now?

Hes thumbing the nose at everyone here since this little scheme was uncovered, are we really expected to act as if hes posting in good faith- as we were asked to for mcmurphy et al for so long and to the detriment of so many threads?

I think that's not a defensible position tbh

That’s as may be but, right now, we’ve had a single user, consistently, backing SF caught running accounts into double digits.

I think you could nearly do a roll call in CA for “verified” users supporting other, more normal, parties and you wouldn’t come close to those numbers.

Its a worrying development for future “engagement” in any thread that gets overrun by SF supporters. It will mostly be one user pulling multiple strings and drowning out any dissent, or negative comments, against SF.

This will require vigilance from the users, themselves, working in conjunction with the mods and admins, if it is to be prevented and civilised, regular, “discussion” resumed.

Nothing like a bit of sensationalism.

You post in good faith here. I know I have and have never once reported suspicious accounts.

I'll continue to do that. Argue the points and you cannot go wrong.

Not aware of McMurphy's account trying to 'drown out' anything. Merely posting responses to posts.

Don't get me wrong, sock puppet accounts are wrong and should be actioned, but let's not go OTT.

I've spent quite a bit of the last few hours looking at the Happyman42 and FrancieBrady accounts. That has involved going back over posts by and threads started by each poster. I have paid particular attention to threads of a political nature. I have not found anything that is contrary to Francie's explanation in this thread. I have seen discussions involving Mods, CMods and Admins and it is very clear that the connection between the two accounts was fully understood. It is also clear when Francie switched to that account and closed the Happyman42 account. He had made some posts on the FrancieBrady account prior to that change, but only the example mentioned in this thread involved both posters posting in the same thread

Obviously I have been unable to review everything posted under each account, but I am satisfied from the sampling I have done that there is nothing untoward here

This part of the discussion is now dealt with. If anyone does have any further information, or wishes to follow up on the point, please PM me

Thanks Beasty. Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

This thread seems to confirm the general viewpoint that boards.ie because of it's age and demographic is inherently conservative and basically an FF/FG echo chamber.

SOCK PUPPETING IS WRONG AND IF MEMBERS OF SF WERE INVOLVED THATS NOT RIGHT.

The utter glee with which this revelation has been met is nothing short of disgusting.

But of course - I'm probably just a shinnerbot..

Whatever.

Your day is over guys.

Deal with it.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

That is not true. I have examples that will prove that to be untrue.

• Advertisement

Well, it’s certainly going to be harder to take any SF “pile on”, in any one thread, seriously anymore.

Obviously, there are a couple of, well established, posters who will still carry a certain level of acceptance but other than that there’ll be a whiff of the “Big 10” coming off any others.

Trust has been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's never been anything but that. A good excuse to laugh at the loopers.

Now that's just bollocks..

"Pile on"

Would you just listen to yourself...

Every single public opinion poll taken by any reputable company in the last several years shows the rise of SF.

But here and here alone, you in your echo chamber of insider Ireland believe that it's just the "shinnerbotz"

How are you going to deal with the reality when it hits that more people voted for them than for your parties?

Attack the process like the Trumper crowd in the US?

You really are pathetic..

I'm a FF dna'd, erstwhile FG voter living in HR land and a farmer to boot, yet I can see what this country now needs..

It would have pained a former me to say it, but it's SF.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Eh, less of the personals there, P. This isn’t the “Current Affairs” forum, a bit of decorum, and respect, are a minimum in here.

Now, you’re talking about “echo chambers” and “shinnerbotz” but we’ve just had 10 sock puppet account closed down. All backing SF. Earlier a user, SF booster, was complaining that now threads have become echo chambers because these accounts are gone.

Its starting to look like the mobilised SF wing on boards.ie isn’t as solid as once thought. In fact, it starting to look like it was one brave soldier using dirty tactics to fight on a number of fronts but the house of cards has now fallen and it will be very hard for any user to take any SF argument seriously, unless it’s from one of the handful of established SF posters.

2 a/c's i (and at least 1 other) strongly suspect to be sock-puppets are posting on thread.....what a farce🤣

Though i highly doubt,there is a concentrated effort by any political party to sock puppet,likely individuals whom support one,but no organised effort,

On what is effectively a dying site,populated by middle aged people with no time to post etc

Point of order there Emmet...I was not complaining because those 10 accounts were gone...I actually pointed to the FG/FF/Greens threads as an example and how key government defenders were taken out of it and the Protocol thread were downcow got the threadban where there is no redemption for engaging in what was just robust debate.

• Advertisement

Yes, of course.. It's just One.. or two.

I actually couldn't give a rats ass because I know that about 95%of public reps only end up caring about re-election whatever they started off thinking.

SF happen to have the best political talent in this country right now, and if elected to gov, they might make one or two positive changes which will affect ordinary citizens lives long after they've been kicked from office.

Your condescension only hardens mine and others views against your own particular pet parties who are stale, talentless, and idealess.

Keep on. You're electing them every time you open your mouth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement