Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning for old Irish cottage

Options
  • 03-01-2022 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Looking for some advice. I’m in the process of purchasing a site which has an old cottage on it with the idea of incorporating the cottage into the new build. Current owner had roof taken off years ago in order to not pay rates, the building itself is structurally sound. I had heard before about reroofing it and claiming it as an habitable dwelling and then applying for renovation and extinction permission. Would that be an option or would it be easier to apply for full planning.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

We obey the law in this forum, planning required.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aidan.c25

Thanks for the reply Bryanf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have heard that an existing dwelling on a site makes it easier to get planning permission and when my girlfriend was applying for permission to build a house the planner she got in touch with was encouraging her to make use of a derelict farm house on her family farm. The derelict house in question is holding up a shed used for storing hay so was not really suitable to be renovated but the impression I got was that the council would prefer the existing building to be made use of. I think your best course of action is to actually consult your local planning department before applying as this can help avoid wasting time applying for things they are unlikely to approve of. I have also heard that renovating can work out more expensive than building new so it might be worth investigating the related costs for this as well.

Ya I had thought there was something in there to do with the existing dwelling but as you said renovation work especially now could be very pricey compared to a new build. I have been in contact with my local council so I’m waiting on a response and we shall break out the calculator and see what comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

My information on renovation work is not very specific and it may be very dependant on what sort of work you could do yourself as opposed to hiring in someone to do it for you. The thing about building new is that all the materials are designed to be quick to construct and renovation takes more time, but from recent talk with buikders the materials themselves have recently increased a lot in price so having something already built that is useable may make more sense than it would have done when materials were not after going up so much.

• Advertisement

Ya that is a fair point with everything gone up using the existing structure might save a bit. Finding the right builder and especially one that would want to work with the cottage will be hard enough I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Isn't an abandoned dwelling considered a green field site in the eyes of county council's for planning purposes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If the building is derelict then it's not a dwelling.

Putting a roof on would require planning, as would renovating and extending. Could be done in one permission or multiple

Advertisement