Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

No one is buying what they're selling.

Im still mildly puzzled as to what it is they are selling. Likewise with stuff for Netflix and so on, and the two of them apparently recording their doings that time in New York. I genuinely don't understand what was the purpose of that.

Er, LESS than $50,000.

Personally, I’ve raised that and more in a year fundraising for 2 local charities! Admittedly, it was during Celtic Tiger days, but every year, I help raise in the region of €5,000 for a local charity to this day! Last couple of years have been a challenge, but when a cause is good and local, people will support it. All this with no salaries or expenses claimed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm trying to find if there's any updates on MM's initiative of 40 x 40.. remember her birthday announcement where Harry was juggling?

40 female friends to give 40 work returning women 40 minutes of mentoring?

I never saw any publicity of these mentorships since it was in the announcement stage.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

realistically there wouldn't have been much of an argument about the extent of the damage done i suspect, and ANL would have lost that as well just like they lost over and over again and would have lost in the supreme court and would have lost had the courts wasted their time in giving them a trial.

however, i would tend to agree that the job was ultimately done and the mail on sunday exposed, so taking the pound 1 and laughing at the big babies throwing their toys out of the pram probably was appealing.

i am sure meghan and harry are well aware the mail will keep writing but they have won and that is all that matters, the mail will just keep giving itself more and more roap.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Picking a fight with those who buy ink by the proverbial barrel applies here. A pyrrhic victory for £1 and a sullied reputation no matter what mental gymnastics are involved. The £1 will grab the headlines, it's what will be remembered down the line. Even Ryanair are taking the mickey by tweeting Meghan should save the £1 for one of their seat sales.

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1478706038748721154?s=20

If the financial troubles are remotely true then ANL will recoup multiples of what they've paid out here in coverage of the Sussexes if they haven't already given the extensive coverage of a case, lest we forget, Meghan took on herself.

Post edited by valoren on

• Advertisement

meghan and harry have won, ANL have just exposed themselves as bad losers and big babies.

all of the rest of it doesn't matter because meghan and harry have still won and ANL have lost.

ANL can get billions even but it wouldn't change the fact they lost and a precedent has been set now.

they lost and lost hard and are a laughing stock.

Precedent? In essence the summary judgement was that printing 500 words of a circa 1200 worded letter which was given to them by the recipient was excessive and was by law both a breach of copyright and privacy. That was all it really was and, yes, it was excessive but to take a case based on that was on a hiding to nothing as it played out.

For all the grandstanding about principles and taking a stand the net result is a quid paid out and a public reputation seemingly irrevocably tarnished as a liar. I just don't see what the win here is for them.

the public reputation exposed as a liar is just a figment of the MOS imagination.

in reality she wasn't exposed as anything, the courts even deemed that her forgetting being part of the writing of whatever which is all that happened and does not constitute a lie was ultimately irrelevant, that they were focusing on whether the MOS breached her privacy or not which they did.

the MOS will of course do whatever to convince their readership that they have exposed this massive evil liar and whatever and the readers will lap it up but the only thing the MOS have exposed is themselves to be big babies who throw the toys out of the pram.

I'm not sure what you call someone who made a statement about no involvement in a biography but via court was shown to have plentiful involvement but I call such a person a liar. I don't buy the forgetting excuse either. The statement about no involvement would surely have stood before Knauf gave testimony and, in advance of it potentially reaching a trial and the prospect of perjury arising, then Meghan came clean with a BS apology. Given that then I'd imagine that the £1 pay off was reflective of the judge awarding the bare minimum to someone on the right side of the law for the case they took but a rebuttal about them taking the piss out of the court with pathetic excuses of forgetfulness or more politely "At best an unfortunate lapse of memory."

• Advertisement

realistically it's very unlikely perjury was ever going to arrise as the trial was only ever going to be about whether her privacy was breached and nothing more.

the statement about no involvement wouldn't have changed the facts of what actually happened in terms of her privacy being breached so as it was essentially ignored in the last case it would have been ignored at trial i highly suspect as it was just the MOS scraping the barrel for anything they could and she said that she had forgottn about it which to be fair it was a few years ago and with all the nonsense she had to deal with it's not surprising she forgot it, whereas for us it would be something we wouldn't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Well, ANL simply has come to a conclusion that "it isn't wise to stand in a fool's way" any longer...

And we all know that it wasn't a fair trial. Have her 5 friends brought to a court to testify?

it wasn't a trial at all but a case over whether privacy was breached.

the case was perfectly fair, ANL breached her privacy and lost, they were going to lose no matter what because they breached her privacy.

There’s an old saying that goes something like this :It’s better sit silent and let people think you a fool, than open your mouth and prove them right.

Meghan has more than once proven herself a liar.

ANL May have lost a battle, but will definitely win the war of public opinion.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It was the technically correct verdict, but during the trial it revealed elements of her PR machinations that didn't show her in a good light at all - to me I think that will be far more damaging to her ongoing brand than not taking the case at all.

I won't defend the tabloids, and I would agree that in her case, they did publish some very unpalatable and unfair articles about her, but I feel that she might have been wiser to pick her battles.

they won't because only their readers care what they say where as the rest of the world has long moved on or see the british tabloids for what they are and believe nothing they say.

as well as that they also lost their big prize and that was their royal highnesses as massive money makers so no matter how much they throw the toys out of the pram ANL still lose.

meghan hasn't proven herself a liar at all, rather people believe she is one but not on any sort of actual reliable of evidence realistically.

realistically if there is any damage to her, it would realistically be tiny and would mostly be confined to ANL'S readership and a bit outside it.

it will be nothing compared to the money maker that the british tabloids have lost with the couple upping and leaving.

she was fine picking the battle she did, as ultimately it will force the british tabloids to throw the toys out of the pram more and more, and eventually they will make a very wrong move due to their arrogance, not to mention she has set a bit of a precedent in terms of privacy.

The case wasn't fair because the reason why her father breached her privacy was because he was defended himself after an article in which her friends leaked this letter. If she and her friends didn't leak it this all would be no issue then. But Meghan got an order in US not to reveal all this truth. So how case, when there are so many facts not taken into account be fair?

BTW I support privacy. But not if it is used by a manipulator, who leaks only convenient for her facts. And that was a merit in this case, which was not allowed to be pursued.

it was a fair case because the only thing that was relevant is whether the MOS breached her privacy, the "facts" which weren't really facts don't change that reality and don't ultimately justify the breach because it couldn't ultimately be justified as the UK have very strong privacy laws and the MOS breached them in this instance so got what they deserved and brought it on themselves by being arrogant.

the MOS were never going to be able to provide anything to prove they didn't breach her privacy.

thomas markle was just looking to sell stories hence leaked the letter.

• Advertisement

I have to salute your loyalty to the Duchess and Prince. You seem to be ploughing a lonely furrow.

My problems with Meghan began with her solitary walk down the aisle. Surely a woman with her profile and connections could find a willing person to accompany her?

I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until she gave an interview to Tom Bradbury in which she said “Nobody asked me if I was ok”

I understood their unwillingness to share Archie’s photos, but to refuse to divulge his godparents was a bit arrogant.

Then we come to that interview with Oprah where she said that the wedding in the Abbey was for show and that they’d actually been married 3 days earlier…….Nothing either of them says since then has convinced me that they are genuine, hardworking, caring people. The opposite, in fact.

the vast majority of people don't care about them either way, they have actual fish to fry, and there is a lot more sympathy out there for them then one would believe, however ultimately all of us commenting on them still are a tiny minority.

who did and didn't walk her down the isle was her decision and her business, it's the biggest non-issue in history and it was her and harry's wedding, not yours or anyone else's.

they don't owe you or anyone anything, if they chose not to reveal the god parents that is their choice and business, it's nothing to do with you or anyone else, you might be interested but it's not on them to cater to one's personal curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

So you support basic rights for everyone, unless you think they are manipulative, because that negates their rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Most people support most rights, thats just true.

however, you cant court media attention and then cry foul when you garner media attention. thats just silly.

the same way you cant be an advocate for gun control, while running around with an AR15 spraying bullets at ever target.

Or you cant be an advocate for climate control, while jetting around on private jets.

seems like common sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

They never miss a trick!

Absolutely not. I support privacy rights for everyone. And I support a right for defence as well. No court in the world would give a sentence without taking into account a right of accused person to defend themselves, to have their say.

And the same is with a "court" of public opinion and judgement. It can't be that some facts from a letter are known to public and another are not allowed.

And that was in her case. She first leaked things from her letter through her friends to a magazine in US, which put her father in a bad light. So her father trying to defend himself leaked more from this letter to prove his point. He had the right to defend himself. If the first leak didn't happened, so it would be no need to leak more. But first leak was not considered (and it was very high probability, that it was her, who leaked it), because she availed an order in US court protecting her friends (and her).

just as well she didn't cry foul when she garnered media attention.

she simply took a knuckle dragging tabloid to court who breached her privacy and won.

actually they can be climate advocates while jetting around on private jets, as their use of private jets is of benefit to all other air passengers due to the fact that they and their security are not taking up space on a commercial aircraft, and are also not a security risk to the other passengers given the high risk they would be under due to their status being senior (all be it non-working) members of the rf.

I laughed so loudly at that! You’re brilliant. Thanks for brightening up a cold, dull winters morning😂

Mee too. Especially that the whole thread started because of them crying foul...

• Advertisement

That's some clutching there, their use of private planes is beneficial to the climate😂😂

Advertisement