Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭ThePott

Hmm I guess you could count Ishii and tbf I did forget about Suzuki's run here.

I'd love to believe that and hopefully when restrictions lift we'll see that. It seems like Impact was the real destination for that stuff. With NJPW going back to AXS (owned by Impact's parent company) I wonder if crossover is more likely there though and it does seem like AEW haven't re-upped their relationship with Impact. Then again early days I suppose but a full-on crossover would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd have to assume it's inevitable assuming relations stay good (which with Rocky Romero they hopefully will). We know likes of Danielson wants to do a G1 some day and Moxley wants Tanahashi, and both of them are guys NJPW want. Would seem fair for NJPW to return the favour with maybe Ibushi and Omega having a run in AEW or Okada doing a match with Best Friends/Chaos against Elite or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great match and the right way for Page to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Great match indeed.

Brilliant Punk is going to give MJF a losing record.

However it also makes him a target for taking out baby faces to cost MJF.

• Advertisement

Punk and MJF on the mic is so much fun.

Wardlow vs. Punk next week is one to look forward to.

Well there it is Cody got the title to promote a TBS show.

Poor Ruby I bet that hurt.

Jade gets the title because she has an amazing look.

Lots of injuries after show that Rey Finex with a broken arm

Rampage spoiler injury.

Jake Atlis injured in his match with Adam Cole and gone for an MRI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That Fenix injury looked really bad, and you could tell they were left having to kill time at the end of the show as a result of cutting the match short.

Danielson vs Page was awesome. Loved the story of Bryan trying to use all of the finishes that won him matches against other guys in AEW and none would work. But Page needed one Buckshot. Proper bloody battle. Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cotts72

That Ray fenix injury was horrific, I wonder did that result in the roll up finish? Seems an awful way for lucha bros to lose the titles in that way.. Also jungle express theme tune is possibly the best thing I've ever heard

Jade Cargill with a slopy finisher to win the title, although I don't get the Ruby soho hype but surely someone legit should have taken that belt . She's the aew version of nia jax,but I guess she's got that look they want

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Page/Bryan was brilliant. I thought there might've been shenanigans to get a trilogy match on PPV but right decision for Page to defend.

Jade/Ruby. Christ. Somehow managed to top Becky/Liv in shìttiness. Women's wrestling feels like it's going backwards across the board.

That arm injury 🤮.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just rewatched the table spot after seeing the comments here. Ow! When watching it originally I thought as well he got the table badly.

That finisher from Jade looked bad but I'm not sure if it's better or worse than it could've been since it looked like she was trying to do it from the top rope. May have given Ruby more time to make it look better.

Why was Wardlow's match made official considering his opponent clearly wasn't for to compete and the ref didn't check him?

They really need to sort out their lighting problem. How many times do they go out during the shows? When it was showing everyone in their seats after the tag match I just assumed the lights going out during the match was Black going to his seat.

Realised after I posted that the lights going out was Black getting some revenge on the Lucha Bros for earlier

Post edited by CastorTroy on

I liked Julia borrowed PAC's eye patch :)

First Dynamite of the year and we already have one "someone about to start an interview backstage - gets interrupted and attacked before speaking by heels - babyface runs into shot to save them - leading to a tag match on the next show" thing they must have done 100 times at this stage. It's so lazy. They need more creativity for storylines this year.

Also Jericho's bit on the show was terrible. Awful segment with his crap comedy like the majority of his segments these days.

Deeb vs. Shida 4 next week I could watch these two wrestlers going at it every week.

Best of 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Watched the tag team championship match back, as I missed Rey's injury the first time around. Holy ****, that was next level nasty.

Some great on that show and some horrible.

Obviously crap for Fenix but that Jade Vs Soho match was worse than seeing that injury. It was so bad. Jade is obviously green as hell but Ruby also sucked badly in that match, and looked like she refused to go to the top rope on that finisher making it look even worse. Jericho's promo was also awful and very juvenile. Oh my, he's got a square head, feck off with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Fenix injury isn't as bad as originally thought, according to both Sean Ross Sapp & Bryan Alvarez, which is a silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭ThePott

Not surprised Jade won even if I don't think it's the right call.

The Fenix injury looked horrific, definitely seemed like the ending was called on the fly as a roll-up is pretty lacklustre. Even if it's just a dislocation I wonder how long he'll be out could have done some serious ligament damage.

Really liked the Punk/MJF stuff, really cool way to continue and love the slightly heelish Punk stuff.

Anyone feel like having two heel women's champs is a bad move though, really feels like their faces in the womens division are in short supply as far as worthwhile challengers go.

Also agree about the Jericho stuff, pointless and cringe. Not sure how much he has to offer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Must say I'm hugely disappointed with the Lucha Brothers tag team title run!Such a great team they are!

And disgusted they lost it Jurrasic Express.No way should they be near the tag titles!

And Christian seriously needs to get away from them and turn heel!Watching him being a glorified cheerleader for them pisses me right off!

I'd have to hope there's a Jungle Boy Vs heel Christian angle planned here (and if not should be). There's been a few teases of it so hopefully that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm fine with JE getting a run and they set up the story well, with all the tag teams coming out rubbing their hands as they all fancy their chances now.

I don't know why people would think they don't deserve a shot but I guess it's because people weirdly hate Luchasauras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah I think JE are worth a run, the Lucha Bros don't necessarily need the titles and as it happens with Rey being out for a while presumably they would have to drop them anyway. In an ideal world I would have had them hold on to them for a bit longer ideally. Agree on Christian though he needs to get a singles programme going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

What a difference a week makes after a poor show for New Years...

Page / Bryan was superb. As someone who still had doubts about Page that is how you put someone over and make him look like a real star.

Punk / MJF carried on nicely.

Jericho not for me with the dumbass humour. Becoming a caricature.

Wardlow carry on being Wardlow. Actually looking forward to Wardlow vs Miro down the road.

Jade is a funny one. She's so green it's tough for anyone to drag her through a match but she absolutely looks like a million bucks. She has potential crossover appeal she's so striking looking so I can see why they are keen to keep her momentum building but they need to keep her training hard and working with veterans. Booker T could be her ideal coach if they could get him, she almost has a female version of his physique with the long, powerful legs.

Black Pillman was grand until the botch. They recovered it well with the instant punishment and could work it into the storyline.

Tag match was fantastic like all Lucha Bros matches until they had to wrap it up in a hurry which was a shame. I saw a semi spoiler re Fenix's injury and was worried it might have been high flying botch related, of all the ways to suffer an injury being choke slammed through a table by a 6' 5" dinosaur is a fair enough one.

Easy to see why they went with the JE win. After Christian hyping them up they basically had to or they would quickly become one of wrestling's many, many nearly men. The theme of the week for me was "we stick by our guys". Page, MJF and Jungle Boy all came out of it looking great and Jade gets crowned as a champion. They were trying to put Pillman Jr over too with the second to last slot on a big card.

For a debut on a new channel it was excellent. If you look at it from the perspective of the target audience - brand new viewers and lapsed WWE fans - in nearly every match / scene you got a big name star and a homegrown AEW star or at least someone you might recognise from the other side and an AEW prospect. It's a very smart approach to building viewer numbers. Especially when (spoiler alert) the competition are just going to put on the same matches they do every other week in opposition because that is all they ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I don't get why people are against JE having a run with the belts either, they're a pretty inoffensive face team with no shortage of heel contenders to face.

I'd give them a four or five month run and then drop them to a heel Santana and Ortiz, the seeds of which are being sown already considering LAX are basically back together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There's so many tag teams and factions that a bit of hot potatoe with the tag belts would be good imo. I loved tag team wrestling around 1999-2002 when you had all these greats teams sharing the belts, it made everyone look strong and the weaker teams at least memorable

Advertisement