Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Yes. Talk of a hub in England. Mind you, I think it’s talk to put pressure on Scotland and Wales in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I saw an Irish Times article that said 40% of all covid deaths in Ireland were over 85.

I wonder has all this been worth it, just to save people who are older than the average life expectancy?

All the debt, all the unemployment, inflation, all the cancelled services, all the missed developments, memories, relationships. Not sure it's been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why do lads like you abdicate all responsibility?

Do the open windows help or not? If they do, then you should open them regardless of what the policy is. If they don't, then you should close them regardless of what the policy is.

But you aren't basing your actions on whether they help or not, instead you act depending on what the policy is. And if the policy changes then you will change with it, regardless of whether they work or not!

And that is insane.

At one stage policy was to move patients into nursing homes. It was policy that masks were not needed. And it was policy that antigen tests did more harm than good. Don't leave children shivering just because you are a slave to policy.

I also think a big list should be done up of the biggest mistakes of this pandemic. So many decisions in retrospect were such short sighted. For example that stupid contact tracing app. Millions spent and not a peep of it's usage or effectiveness now. No doubt there's big money being paid to keep it running.

Another thing is mandatory hotel quarantine. People conned out of thousands unfairly. We were told MHQ was in place to stop covid coming into the country because of variants. Yet people can come in with covid now, no worries about variants anymore.

One which will turn out a massive waste of time will be putting HEPA filters into every classroom. Omicron will end this pandemic and the units will be a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out given we threw away our chances to host the Euro Games last year due to public hysteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

It must be awlful for companies trying to survive and then have workers feel they are forced back into the office at this stage.

When do we just move on with it all at this stage .

Post edited by Juwwi on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Some of us are able to understand our limitations though. This policy does work according to the CO2 moniters, therefore I'll follow it as long as it is deemed necessary. I'm not an expert in disease management so while my layman's understanding is that Covid likely does not pose a significant threat to me or my students I'm not going to go against a policy designed to mitigate against spread and whatever level of threat it does pose.

Hepa filters are not being put in every classroom

That's what teachers and unions want. It'll probably happen too, government will want them off their backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So you think it works, but you will stop doing it if the policy changes, despite the fact that you think it works.

What a country.

No the policy will change if the circumstances do... obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Closing construction last year for 4 months has to be the worst decision do far.

Hepa filters will help reduce the spread of other classroom illnesses so not a bad thing to have anyway I'd imagine. Seeing as not every classroom got co2 moniters I'd say they won't be getting hepa filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

When do we stop saying that mindless, moronic “hiding under the bed” ?

It also doesn’t mean if we had done nothing that it wouldn’t have been a lot more people in wider age groups, as has been the evidence in a lot of places where it really went ripping though the population.

We did quite a lot to keep transmission down before the vaccines rolled out and we’ve headed into this highly vaccinated this time, so with a bit of luck we’ll get out the other side relatively much less scathed and hopefully with a much less concerning future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Absolutely.

Just getting over a dose and hit the oldest two in the house worst ( middle aged!) and reckon would have been a lot worse without vaccination ... now looking forward to a better year hopefully .

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

The pandemic measures weren't just to prevent and slow down deaths of older people.

The older versions of covid was a real threat to populations.

The measures prevented serious sickness and disease from spreading throughout the population. If we did nothing it would have spread to more people. Didn't get everything right but they got a lot right.

We’re at risk of getting into chicken and egg arguments, that are something like: “There are hardly road deaths now. Those seat belts and massive motorway investments that improved safety by an enormous factor were obviously a total waste of money and effort!”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Well proven at this stage that omicron is a much less severe variant however ISAG and their devoted followers continues to push the fear mongering narrative. Into of third year of the virus are they going to cop themselves on at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The consequences of simply trying to plough through a pandemic and pretend it wasn't even happening would have been very unpredictable. Would Irish people have been okay with tens of thousands of deaths instead of 6000? Also, many people would have been freaked at the idea of literally everywhere remaining open, including all places of work and schools and leisure whilst a deadly virus was running riot. The anti-lockdown brigade would be high fiving each other of course but I'd guess large numbers would not be (and especially when the big second wave last winter and then Delta came along).

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Got notes from the children's schools today about the cold classrooms. All in Primary school so they're young.

Now I was all for sending the children back regardless of cases, but my children, who are the type that refuse to wear gloves in snow, they are bribed into coats and at that won't zip them up because 'it's too stuffy' and yet wore coats all day in school. I've never heard them complaining about the cold until today. Eldest said he found it very hard to concentrate and asked if he could bring a hot water bottle in tomorrow.

I may take them out after all, not because of covid but because they can be warm at home at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Absolutely. Although I think some of those mistakes were seen as mistakes and ineffective at the time and even worse now in hindsight.

I think it is fair to say that the first lock down was completely reasonable. We were in an emergency situation and there were huge unknowns. But at that time it was sold as an emergency and people got on board with it.

But we never completely came out of that lock down - the 9 euro meal, wet pubs, masks bad then good, the frenzy around bank holiday weekend, communions, confirmations, major concern when there were 10 cases or so, the stigmatisation of travel (when we are on an island), and memorably Golfgate (another media storm) which followed the Govt being bounced by NPHET into new restrictions at short notice. The biggest mistake at that time was not to try to open up more that summer so as to give people some relief when things were ok - I remember advice that they did not want BBQs as people would risk infecting each other when they were going to the toilet.

We never really learned from that time. That outdoor was safer - that construction did not need to close - that regulated environments are safer than private settings - that antigen tests is a useful tool.

We also had some howlers driven by media, zero Covid loons and by the opposition. Notably was MHQ which has cost 25 million and putting controls on fellow EU Member States - recalling again that we are an island with an open border to the UK and part of a single market with 26 other Member States with deep economic and social ties. Madness at the time and even more so in hindsight.

Another was not opening in the summer when we had so many people vaccinated. It seemed there was never a right time for public health. And now my biggest fear is that we are using extraordinary restrictions to shield the health service from its failings.

It was clear early on that the NPHET structure was never really fit for purpose yet this has never been fully addressed.

Restrictions are an extraordinary power which have both benefits and costs. That broad cost-benefit analysis needs to be under constant review.

Yesterday - despite all we know about the Omicron variant, NPHET decided to maintain the emergency restrictions it sought in November and early December to control this variant. We have a highly vaccinated population yet we are closing hospitality and culture at 8pm - the State then has to step in to pay for this. Businesses are closing and many others will never reopen.

There will be damage to sports bodies for years to come as they have used all reserves on this and yet we face the prospect of near empty stadiums…5000 in Lansdowne Road next month while Twickenham will be packed to the rafters. This means lack of investment in fitness and sports in the future…

Quite frankly we need a plan now to reopen quickly and at the latest by the end of February. If another variant emerges let’s deal with that then but we cannot continue the policy of trying to avoid another lockdown by not reopening. It’s not working, it is costly and it is demoralising.

Post edited by cuttingtimber22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah the restrictions to save future restrictions is well worn out at this stage

Not sure if you are familiar with my posts but I am 100% against all restrictions and have campaigned against them for over a year now.

But it's a messed up situation when a large multinational is trying to pretty much force you back onsite for non essential work while the crèche you pay 1000 euro a month for won't open properly. Its impossible to do both.

It's messed up that people are left in these situations. Just open the crèche properly and the problem is solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

There is far too many groups/individuals who are getting traction either on social media or regular media to give up that narrative.

Once they do, people won't be interested in them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

where are you getting this tens of thousands of deaths idea from? we have pretty much the same deaths as other countries which did not impose restrictions.

if those many people would have been freaked by that then they should stay home and lock themselves down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Care to list those countries that had no restrictions and the same death rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,049 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i was in A&e one night and an ambulance arrived with a couple and he was complaining of an ulcer, turns out he had heartburn from drinking cider all day, a petite young doctor found a room for him and just as his gf got to the door she slammed in her face, and from outside we heard the doc give him the mother of all bollickings.....she went through him for a shortcut about all the wasted resources :) ,,...i was proud of her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wow, refreshing to see not one mention of Covid on the main headlines on RTÉ app this morning!

Advertisement