Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish language gets full EU status today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

It's a bit of stick. You seem to be new to the thread, it'll all become clear soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Fair question. Tbh not sure. I just heard it on radio ulster news an I suppose I just thought it was rediculous waste of money for Eu. It struck a chord as I am in the midst of challenging an attempt to replace all the signs on my road with Irish signs.

maybe if I am really honest I have picked up little snippets of ideas in our debate to strengthen my case. It is likely I will end up asking the equality commission to support my position. Maybe it’s a research thread for me 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

We are the EU, why in heavens name would we not support the language in this way.

Aren't you going to potentially piss off a lot of your neighbours by doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Would you have a problem with union jacks in unionist areas if there was an Irish tricolour of the same size and prominence put up beside each of them?

I don’t think so. 30 houses on our road. 5 unionist 25 nationalist. Result of vote was 6 for Irish sign 5 against. So 80% of Irish residents couldn’t be arsed voting so mustn't care too much so why would they be pissed. We have a few old ira on the road which probably make up the 6 that voted for.

my challenge to them not following procedures has resulted in the council stating that they will not erect the signage. Another request can be made in 12 months. Guess who has a request in for an English translation to the current phonetic Irish. Should be next in que. watch this space

I wouldn’t see the point. Would you see the point in putting a union flag beside all the Irish flags flying in the 26 counties?

Just FYI The only way you could have a Union Jack in a unionist area is if a warship sailed in.

when on land it is a union flag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

But downcow, you say you are standing your ground on the basis of wasted resources and money, and yet you are going to waste a lot more energy and time in doing something which, to be honest, comes across as petty. Just annoying your neighbours who either wanted it, or didn't care enough to vote against something.

That latter point might be magnified a little because you began by complaining about a separate entity (the EU) giving support to a language which you come cross as having a chip on your shoulder about. I might think that Ulster Scots is a bit of a joke as a language, but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if some university in Canada was putting tens of millions into a dedicated Ulster Scots research institute.

• Advertisement

I have encouraged our local council to have an honest dialogue / consultation with residents. Allow them to discuss and understand the impact of signage on each other. If the residents then decide to put up another form of Irish then that is fine and I’ll accept it.

why is it petty to request an English translation?

It's not petty to request an English translation. It is petty to try to prevent the actual historical Irish names being used. The "English translation" means nothing without the name it is actually translating! As I mentioned to you earlier, "An dun" (with fada) means "the fort". So it would be fine to have both of them together. It make no sense to only have "Down" and "The fort" as there is no meaning to that.

What will happen in any case is that you will find that all of the 25 houses will vote the next time. They probably just didn't bother this time, not because they weren't arsed, but out of complacency.

You never did tell us what 'impact' it would have on you honestly or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

The 'current phonetic irish' IS the English translation! You are looking for a sign which features 2 English versions of the original irish name!

Newsflash. That ain't dual language signage.

I have two different sets of family background in the North, so let's just say my background isn't an easy one for bureaucratic classification.

I'm not sure what point you're making about benifits (sic) the Ulster Scots community. I don't recall suggesting that. Indeed, I took time and care to use the words "no more and no less" in my post.

If you don't want someone to answer a question, perhaps you shouldn't ask it. You asked a question in your OP and I've answered it as accurately as I can. Others may see things differently, as is their entitlement, but that's not really any concern of mine.

So there was a majority vote in favour and you got it overturned?

The ECHR didn't rule in support of the bakery. It ruled against the customer. The ruling was that the case could only proceed to the ECHR if in the domestic case the customer claimed that his rights under the Convention were breached. Because the customer didn't do that, the domestic courts did not get the opportunity to test whether the Convention had been breached - and it is a principle of the Court that before a case can travel to it the relevant issues involved must be tested in the domestic courts, and all domestic court avenues and remedies exhausted. There is an unresolved question as to whether the customer can now take separate litigation in relation to his Convention rights.

A technicality, but an important one because, as you point out, it's all in the spin.

Why should union flags on lampposts be a problem anywhere? I appreciate that people who aren't unionists might be disgruntled by them, but so what? Let them get over themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

There is a Gaelscoil in "my" town, established nearly 40 years ago, and it has at trebled in size the over the last 20 years.

Yet there is not a single Irish language name over a shop in the town. I've never heard it spoken in the street, in a pub or in any form of casual conversation. I've never seen a menu printed in Irish. Nobody speaks it despite hundreds of people having been educated in it.

It makes me wonder what social change in the last 20 years has seen the Gaelscoil popularity rise?

Different experience here, Naonrai and Gaelscoil for about 20 years, if even that and I hear kids talking it all the time and more recently parents talking to their kids in Irish. Local GAA club has just done a lot of work on dual signage in Irish too.

• Advertisement

Strange that, and you located in a county ranked 4th lowest in Irish language usage according to the CSO.

Didn't know that, but how are they gathering stats and how recent are they?

There is lots of work to be done, but starting with kids is the right move in the right direction.

Self declared on census, thats widely known.

Just as well there's no exam to prove the proficiency of those who claim to speak it, the claims may be as flimsy as some of the claims on here...

Nice dig worked in there.

If people answered exams the way they spoke English the results might not be great either...you do know this I hope?

Anyway, I could have had a dig at your claim but I just countered it with my own experience, take it or leave it.

So tell me why it would mat no sense to have Down and the Fort but it would make sense to have Down and Ah Dún? In the former the 100% of the public would understand the historical meaning while in the later 90% would not understand the historical meaning

Apologies you are correct. You did answer the question. I done what I am accusing most of doing on me. I read to much into your answer that you didn’t say. I had thought you were suggesting that to direct equal finding into both would be treating both communities equally. In fact it would be giving one community what they were asking for and giving the other community something they were not requesting.

I got it made void as they had rode roughshod over their own policies due to their arrogance. Time will tell what the long term outcome will be.

I don’t think it’s that simple. I think, like Irish signage, the mark territory and antagonise in a very divided society. There is the option to agree that majority communities can put up what they like but I don’t think that’s positive

• Advertisement

Regrettably (and you've probably already encountered this) the virtual world is full of narrow-minded people who use a series of tropes to denigrate Gaeilge and the people who speak it. Every discussion on the subject, regardless of the original topic or question, degenerates ultimately into "why I detest Irish". I refer to the virtual world because in all my years speaking Irish, or referring to my interest in it, I've never heard the same tropes from a real person. I think it's one of those examples of a subject about which people drop their real-life social inhibitions and let go in cyber-space without any real sense of normal behaviour (or indeed manners).

Very interesting. Again some posters own personal experience or fantasy runs contrary to the stats.

I have my own particular view of supports for the Irish language, which I'd extend to minority languages generally. For that reason I'm not all that concerned about communities and their politics, and my take on language and cultural supports wouldn't be based on such politics. My interest in Ullans is because I know a lot of Scottish people (mainly from central Scotland) and I've been listening to "Broad Scots" for decades, so I just find the words and phrases hugely interesting. A lot of people still regard Scots as a dialect of English, whereas linguistically both are evolutions of Middle English, which means the relationship of Scots to English is more akin to the relationship of Gaeilge to Manx (Gaelg) or Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig).

I know quite a few people, including both great fans and great enemies of the Irish language, who regard things like traditional music, Irish dancing and GAA sports as more valid and germane cultural markers of "Irishness". I don't agree. Irish traditional music is Scottish traditional music with some modifications, and the same can be said for dancing - or maybe it's the other way round, but there's feck all there that either the Irish or the Scots can claim to be uniquely theirs. GAA was invented at the same time as a lot of other sports were being codified, especially football, so the sports are effectively Victorian creations, and any differences between them and other sports invented in that era are nothing more than happenstance.

nice to hear your love for minority languages. That’s helpful for me to hear. I hated languages in school (even English) so maybe I was laying too much on Irish speakers, thinking that it must be tied up with their politics etc. Clearly it is for many and no one could argue that sf and the ira massively politicise and indeed weaponise the language. That is sad.

I guess my community need to engage more and be exposed more to people like you. I attend an optician based in an Irish language centre and when I enter it feels very alien. You may find this shocking but I would feel awkward if any of my unionist community saw me enter it - Maybe what a local nationalist would feel going in to use the credit union in the orange hall. Same feeling as I would have going into the GAA club. In areas like mine our only real engagement with the language is the bitter battle over signage, shinners election posters and derogatory graffiti aimed at intimidating us. I am sure there is more out there but I don’t see it (or maybe I avoid it, who knows).

you even see it in this thread from the same sort of posters. It’s became a battle even on here. Not an inch, no understanding of the other. And I include myself in that as I have got drawn in. If anything. This thread demonstrates why it is such a controversial issue with those on both sides who allow us to let it.

anyhow I appreciate the posters on here who have gave me an insight into how many love the language without the need to laud it over others or use it in the struggle.

we have a long way to go in the north.

I was thinking about Linda Ervine and wondering about her path. Did she grow up in a very unionist community with zero exposure to Irish, and then when she encountered it was it with people who just loved the language , with no struggle attached. I didn’t get that chance. I grew up surrounded by all the worst aspects of it and it was part of ‘the war’.

Maybe the battle now needs to be internal in nationalist community. How are they going to express/expose the generation of unionists younger than me. If people like you win that battle then there is real hope of unionists embracing it. If people like some of the posters on here win that battle then there is not a hope of young unionists cooperating with its public expression.

is this where we are headed ie that there will have to be police units in each area to try to protect the signage https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/11/14/news/psni-nominate-officer-for-reports-of-attacks-on-irish-language-signs-in-mid-ulster-1764998/

….and yet some of the biggest agitators want to argue on here that it’s not controversial and consensus has been reached🤔

Ditto the 'English' language, we speak it differently to the other neighbouring cultures, we have made it our own in that sense.

We are very close in all the things you allude to. We could not fail to be. There is no reason, bar stubbornness and disrespect that all are not treated equally. But it will happen, whether some have to be dragged there kicking and screaming.

• Advertisement

If you watch much Danish / Swedish noir, you might notice a lot of words that sound familiar to us, one of the first that struck me was 'full' (pronounced something close to "fool") which means drunk, and is the same as NI (possibly all Ireland) slang for being drunk, ie "he's full". This page contains more on the similarities https://esoteriic.com/2017/06/24/the-similarity-between-scottish-and-scandinavian-words/ , might be interesting.

You are avoiding the point I was making - I asked if you would be opposed to flags where equal prominence is given to both.

Why didn't you reply to the question instead of avoiding it?

I think that if the legislation says 15% is sufficient for a sign in Irish - or ulster scats - then it's not a question of the council having a 'dialogue' - rather it's a question of the council obeying the precepts of the law.

You can be sure that if they don't, there will be a court case forcing them to put up the sign. And most likely in a new vote there will be more than 6 votes in favour if the figures are as you say.

The resulting tension may well lead to some of the minority community in your street deciding to move away in the medium term. If this were to happen - who do you feel would have "won"?

I'm not sure if you are trying to make a point in relation to immigration here, but if you are, I think you are looking in the wrong direction. There has (in the south at any rate) been another huge change in society, and this is the change that has led to FF and FG losing almost half of their previous support.

Now a lot of that support has gone to a nationalist left-of-centre party. Support for the Irish language is one of their policies - so I would guess that the increase in the Gaelscoil population is due to these changes that also express themselves in the political sphere.

Post edited by deirdremf on

This is something that people who make that claim always forget.

It's effectively the same as if you were to read that according to the census the average house in Ireland has 5 bedrooms (unlikely, I know) - does that mean that we can automatically subtract 2 because the houses in Finty's street only have 3 bedrooms?

• Advertisement

It actually doesn't make much logical sense to have "Down" and "An Dún". It makes more sense to have "An Dún" and "The Fort".

"Down" would need to be kept simply to keep others, like yourself, happy.

"Down" is the only one that makes no logical sense.

Imagine doing what you are saying for a person's name. Someone called "Peter" goes to live in Spain. They cannot pronounce his name so call him "Peto" (which translates to overalls). A few years later he explains he wants to be called his proper name and the Spanish say instead that they will call him both "Peto" and "Roca" because that is what "Peter" means.

I am sorry deirdremf. I operate in a strange situation. You will note complaints here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058223439/26-county-forum#latest that I takeover and reply too often. Yet a regular complaint against me is that I don’t respond enough. I have tried to find a balance and I honestly wasn’t meaning to avoid your question.

so on your question. Yes I would be absolutely opposed to equal prominence to Uk flag and roi flag. The gfa was very clear. This is the Uk until majority vote otherwise. So the Uk flag is the official flag. If a vote happens and a UI happens, I think it would be absurd then to ask for the Uk flag to have equal prominence with whatever would become the flag of whatever this new country would be called.

I would like to see the Irish flag respected at all times here

I have already been told by a member of the minority community who is about as liberal and travelled a person I have ever met (who lives in a cul de sac of my road which has recently had Irish signs put up) that he would not have bought his house if he had knew this would happen. He said he would not by a house with the kerbstones painted RW&B or Irish signage up. He said he choose to live in an are that was not labelled one side or other and is pissed off that this has been done now. He also said that he was afraid to vote as his neighbours would find out.

I agree with your first points.

the last para has no relevance to this.

Down is not a great example as ‘Down’ is an English word and I agree is meaningless re the county.

that the road Shan Slieve road. I understand that was written like that so as the majority no Irish speakers could pronounce it. It is Irish I think for old mountain. Council etc are trying to tell me that Shan Slieve is English and they want to add the Irish. They have been taken aback when I have pointed out the obvious, that of course it is not English. The English is old mountain. They currently have their knickers in a twist and are not responding.

Shan Slieve is not Irish though.

Sean Sliabh is

To say that "Shan Slieve" is Irish would be a bit like putting up "Niu casel" on signs for "Newcastle" so that Spanish visitors could pronounce the name, and then saying that "Niu Casel" is English.

We are very close here. You example is reasonable about Newcastle.

I am not saying Shan Slieve is proper Irish. I am saying it is phonetically spelt Irish so as English speakers can pronounce it. Currently Irish can look at it and understand that it is old mountain. The 90% English only speakers don’t have a clue what it means. It’s just words that don’t exist in their language. Yet you are telling me it is more English than Irish and the council want to put another sign beside it explaining the the Irish speakers, who already know, what it means and the 90% English speakers are nothing the wiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It is indeed. The disgusting fact is that a lot in these communities would rather focus on bigotry than education. Hence the fact that I don't believe they're faux outrage over the Irish protocol, it's unlikely that they have read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Did you ever object to the sign before? Or is it now only a problem because the original Irish name might be put up as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You previously said the majority of your road would object to Irish road signs. You're doing the unionist community no favors by posting nonsensical statements like this.

You do know what 'dual' in dual language means?

Why would it need to be explained to English speakers, if they want to know what it means let them look it up, same as if you saw a name in Spanish in SPAIN.

• Advertisement
Advertisement