Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I skipped to the end expecting it to be a “just go ahead and buy it” recommendation - but he said to shortlist it as it has a lot of competition, but is an excellent electric suv

• Registered Users Posts: 65,370 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did anyone else also think he could have easily made it round that mini-roundabout without having to do a 3 point turn? Mind 11.8m is not a great turning circle for a (predominantly) RWD car. For comparison the Hyundai Ioniq 5 has 10.6m, the VW ID.4 has 10.2m

Mind about 12m seems the norm for a typical similar size ICE SUV (which are mostly FWD), so I don't know how your man even noticed / perceived the turning circle was "big", maybe the research time was struggling to find any bad points 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Couple of guys ( Irish motoring journalists by looks of things ) on Twitter roasting the Y for " poor suspension "

Both praised the 3 and claim the Y is nothing like it comfort wise ?

Seems to be a clear feeling on majority of reviews that the suspension is jarry on slower uneven roads like ours/UK. I’ve a car with similar suspension and tbh it’s not ideal for a family car esp on city streets and manhole covers. perhaps they’re using the M3 suspension and adapting it to the increased weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

Is Tesla Ireland giving any info on how many orders for MY have been made? Should we expect to see a ton of these on the road within a year or likely still a niche compared to M3? Even anecdotally, are there many M3 owners here with an order in place?

Tesla sold 770 M3’s in 2021 (VW sold nearly 4 times that in EVs, for comparison), so almost certainly the more expensive MY will be far lower sales.

most Tesla buyers want ‘a Tesla’, so the M3 ticks that box, and indeed the cheapest base model now seems to be the pick of the bunch, whereas the MY is a family car and it’s market will be smaller to begin with, never mind it being more expensive.

a few hundred sales at most in the first year I’d say, as long time queuers get their cars, and tail off slowly from there

I put my Y order on hold as I've been really taken aback at the pretty damning comments about suspension.

Wasn't allowed test drive the left hand drive in sandyford but sales guy told me it was identical to the 3 which I did drive

Il have a drive when Y arrives properly

By all accounts, when you look at the EV choices in the midsize family 5-seater suv market, the Y is arriving both late and expensive to these shores. Range is not as important here anymore as range anxiety fears are vastly overblown, so it means it’ll be a low volume niche car.

it could be an advantage to buyers though, as they will be rare in the 2nd hand market for sure (that hasn’t helped the model X, but it’s a different beats I suppose).

I was looking at the 192 market for the M3, and they’ve barely depreciated at all, to the point that it makes more sense to buy a new one and just wait for delivery.

I really like the Y but won't spend 65k on a car I can feel bumps in

Might be unfounded but a lot of criticism about ride ?

• Advertisement

I tend to agree.

I’ve had mSport suspension cars for exactly 10 years now, and the slow-bump roll is poor, versus being ok at speed - but recently I’ve decided our mk8 golf has the ride of a rolls Royce by comparison

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If it's space and comfortable ride then (apart from lower to the ground re engress) a used Model S is better option over the Y which is simply too expensive for what it is and current competition, especially if SuC network gets opened up

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Theres too much criticism of the Y suspension for it not to be a real issue.

I remember that the Peugeot e208 got heavily criticised for a harsh ride at international launch.

But Peugeot fixed it at some point prior to RHD production.

Very early Model 3s also got criticised by some for ridiculously firm ride.

Let's see if Tesla make changes to Model Y

But the Y is already years in production, it is what it is

It’s just a byproduct of the pace - you can’t have an M3 doing 4-5sec 0-100 pace and have it go round corners like a boat.

now imagine the higher ride height of the Y and for sure the ride needs to be even tighter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Some owners on the FB Group are starting to receive texts about delivery if their Y’s.

Hardly Berlin? RHD vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nope, I'd suggest strongly MIC. Berlin is still dealing with red tape and tree huggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Berlin is not open yet as the plant is not yet finished and the required approvals have not yet been obtained. It needs to be finished, not to Elon's spec, but to the level approved by the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

Got one of these emails myself. Sandyford clarified by phone this morning that I could expect delivery late Feb/early March and that they will be offering test drives from mid Feb.

Made in China.

• Advertisement

I cancelled my order ( 100 euro forfeit) four weeks ago, they still sent me an email this morning about " preparing for delivery "

I'm waiting to test drive the Y ,was told its identical to the 3 but numerous online views they very firm ride so il wait until it arrives proper

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

I put a deposit(albeit €100) for the Model Y at the beginning of December with a 3rd quarter estimated delivery date. We test drove the 3 like Mad_maxx, with a view to a test drive on the Y in March. I nearly have the Mrs onboard too. With fuel prices, road tax only going one way and diesel not really practical around town it made sense for our situation. We've 2 kids and another on the way(groan). I ordered the Performance Pack. Black with white interior. Also, with a place in the west of Ireland it kinda made sense. Having stumbled upon this thread, I'm now having second thoughts. Damn you Boards!

Both😂 . On a serious note the suspension issues. I suppose I'll wait for the test drive.

I was told I might expect a March delivery but that if it didnt happen in March , it would then probably not arrive until july ?

my attitude is 100 euro of a forfeit is a small price to pay if you ended up not liking the Y due to the alleged firm ride . i ordered the cheapest Y ( black interior , white exterior and the standard range and performance ) yet id be mighty annoyed if i was unhappy having spent circa 65 k , you can get a 2020 audi etron EV 50 for that and its beautifully refined on the road

can always order when you test drive it properly , Id happily buy the 3 myself but my back does not suit low to the ground cars

found the 3 a thing of beauty to drive but perhaps im easily impressed or else have not driven enough special cars ?

Yeah, I agree with your above sentiments mad_maxx. We have tested a couple of others but found we like the Y to sit into etc and enjoyed the drive of the 3. We are coming from a Range Rover Sport so trying to get used to the new seating position is the only drawback from what I can see. I've a couple of classic's so happy to do my bit for the environment. Just looked at the email, and I put the deposit down on the 14th of December. Looking through my emails I missed one saying 'Prepare for Your Model Y Delivery' so maybe you're right! Hopefully I'll get the chance to Test Drive prior to purchase.

• Advertisement

You must be spending over 80 k ? so if you have to forfeit 100 quid ,it's better than regretting it long term

Hopefully reports of a hard ride are unfounded?

Advertisement