Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That might be true about his fitness...but it can hit incredibly fit people as well.

Kimmich and Choupo Moting at Bayern out for months....both not vaccinated

Two MMA fighters (at least) I read about died with covid...soooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Doesn't really matter what Novax (or any of us) thinks about vaccines. Them's the rules in Aus and if he wants to go & play there, he does what everyone else does. If he objects, then he stays at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This is the nub of it really.

And I'll just add that Australia (and Victoria) does also give an option to the unvaccinated to do quarantine, so they're not excluded from the country. He chose the medical exemption route instead, but whatever he did with the requirements or paperwork, it seems he messed it up. It's much more an issue of legal requirements and bureaucracy than vaccination. And the same rules being applied to him as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

It is, if you want to stop them from infecting the people of your country. Plus, there's the optics of allowing rich/famous people to bypass your laws because of their fame/wealth. How do you expect your citizens to follow your guidelines if you're willing to waive them at the drop of a hat for a sportstar?

The context to all this is that most of Australia is experiencing its first wave. As a nation, they've had more cases so far in 2022 than they've had in all of 2020 and 2021 combined. If he was allowed to circumnavigate the rules and protocols, then we'd have the same knuckleheads who are saying he should be allowed play, crowing from the rooftops about how the rules must be total BS if Novax is allowed play.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

we are all entitled to our opinions, as you are so am I . I play tennis and adore the game its very physical so anything that might interfere in his peak fitness is unwarranted and we have seen that the good old vax is not a super performer in its role. Remember we were promised 1 vaccine would give us our normal life then a second and now a third so its a bit arbitrary, in my opinion the fact that its potency lasts about 10 weeks? **** sake i got a tetanus shot 20 years ago and received a bad dog bite recently didn't get another tetanus. 20 years versus 10 weeks i am not convinced but i will accept the abuse as its almost guaranteed here if you disagree with the narrative.

He said, smugly and condescendingly, as if Omicron hasn't ripped through the zero-jabbed and boostered while affecting them even more harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Fire away show me how they function but before you do show me your doctorate degree on cellular and molecular biology, biochemistry, or microbiology first please?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

thats your opinion i will stick to mine, like i said disagree with the vaccine narrative here and you get nothing but abuse from the obedient vaxed people. The divisive vaccine of the 21century who would have thought such a thing turn turn people on each other so easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Please show the data that Omicron has affected the non vaccinated or vaccinated more harshly than wuhau, delta, alpha please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

aaaaaaand all the anti-vaxxers have arrived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

It's ok to have different opinions why turn on each other none of us created this virus, anyway on a lighter note, did anyone see Novak's dad, it was like a scene from Rocky when he fought in Russia, except this time it's mother Serbia but i found it very entertaining he looks like some character. If i was Novak in all honesty i'd say fine, let me leave and i'll never play here again, it's a shame for tennis but neither side can back down now it's political, and he's already won 8 i think so he doesn't need the cash.

He can leave any time he wants, but he thinks he has a chance with the appeal, so he's choosing not to. No issue with that (other than it being spun as him being imprisoned). Maybe there's an element of trying to be a martyr in it too.

Buy why, if you were him, would you say you'd never play there again? Why would one be so petulant about being subject to the laws and rules of entry into a sovereign country? Why would he not play there in the future when he can fulfil the legal requirements to enter the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Maybe he wants to be seen as a martyr for the rights of the unvaccinated.

Weird hill to die on.

I don't think it's petulant, he was invited to play there don't forget and granted an exemption it just seems a bit of a mess to me. Why was he granted an exemption for a start. But he clearly feels strongly about it so i say back it up and leave, that's what i'd do personally just my opinion.

we all know Bobby Sands, seen as a martyr for his hunger strike to death, but in reality he was under huge pressure from the Ra to keep it going, what would have happened to his his family if he hadn't ? I'm not saying Novak is under the same threat of violence, but it's clear Serbia do not want him to back down with their president and others getting involved. I don't think he could back down now and take a vaccine even if he wanted or he would be seen as weak in his home country.

• Advertisement

It's actually one of the least divisive things we have seen politically in this country. 94% of the adult population agree with it which is way beyond what any party or referendum could hope for.

You really think a man playing the race card is entertaining and he is just a character ?

He's won it 9 times

Djokovic was granted an exemption and a visa by Australia but the politicians in Australia are facing a cluster-fcuk omicron covid wave right now that is going badly in terms of government organisation on pcr testing in what is effectively Australia's first wave

other players with the same exemptions and visa as Djokovic had already been let into Australia

When there was some public comment about Djokovic the politicians saw an opportunity to take the spotlight off them and cancelled his visa on arrival

The Prime minister said on Tuesday that the small number of players who were granted an exemption by tennis Australia and the state of Victoria would be let in

He flip-flopped and changed his mind on Wednesday when the public comment on Djokovic appeared

So Djokovic is giving the appeal a go instead of just taking the shafting lying down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Thanks for the links to Ros Atkins video. He is, as always, brilliant at explaining these things

Reading headlines before I thought this was a relatively clear case of Djokovic taking the piss a bit, but it really seems like a mess on all fronts. I still don't really understand how, if he was awarded a medical exemption (rightly or wrongfully) that's been revoked

For what it's worth (I know no one asked me 😋) I feel like Djokovic has been very quiet on his vaccination views and I respect that. He can choose for himself. It also seems like he tried to go through the official channels to gain entry to Australia. Again, ignoring the right or wrong of whether the exemption should have been granted, him applying for it seems fair enough

I do not feel a little sorry for him, this does seem to have become a bit of a political football and I don't think that was his intention at all

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

The Aussies are doubling down -

Czech tennis player Renata Voracova has been detained by ABF as she entered Oz on the same exemption as Djokovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I didn't follow a lot of that.

Anyway,you can adore tennis all you like,have any amount of opinions you like and get bitten by lots of dogs along the way.None of that changes the current entry requirements to get into Australia.

i think you're trying WAY too hard to be offended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yeah its doing a bang up job, only 20k-50k a day are getting covid now. Seven vaccinated people I know got it in the last week.

Djokovic was asked about vaccines in mid-2020 (hypothetical at that point as none were available) and said that he was in favour of choice and probably wouldn't get one himself.

He realised his mistake on giving a public view on that.

Once actual real vaccines came out Djokovic refused to be drawn on the subject even though he was literally asked about it at every tournament he went to.

He deliberately set out not to become a totem pole for "certain interest groups"

He has been quite effective at this, under the circumstances, despite being one of the biggest and most global sports stars on the planet.

Here is what he said in April 2021

“I don’t want to be involved in one team or another. If I say yes or not, I join a team so to speak, and there is a lot of conflict between both sides," Novak Djokovic said at the Serbian Open after being asked for his views on the coronavirus vaccination programme. He also said he would keep his vaccination plans to himself

To take three vaccine injections in one calendar year and then have basically no protection against spread is a scandal. Stop looking at it as an us vs them thing and just look at how ineffective this 'miracle of science' has been. Everyone is the country is getting Omicron and many peope have taken three vaccine doses in one year!

I posted elsewhere on another topic today about "perfect being the enemy of good", so I suppose the idea is in my head.

Assuming this is true, isn't a marginal benefit at massive scale much better than no benefit at all? None of this - good or bad - should be looked at through the lens of the effect on the individual; it's the overall impact that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I’ve seen some stupid takes on this, but this one tops the lot.

• Advertisement

No just being fair. If it was Osaka claiming they were picking on her for being Japanese the right wing anti vaxx crowd on here would break their arms they would be jumping so hard and fast at their keyboards to attack her.

Novac's father thinks "is it cause I is Serbian" which is fking absurd

Djokovic himself doesn't even take his father seriously.

He's a complete no-filter loose cannon.

But they came from nothing in a war-torn Serbia, the auld man dragged them out of there to Germany, with not a penny basically and made sure somehow that his son got to be in a position to develop his talent.

So Djokovic probably has to stick by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That would be fine if the vaccine was unequivocally without any downside, far too early to know but seeing as " boosters" are required so frequently, it looks pretty unimpressive

My favourite Novac moment is this one.

In his book Serve to Win, Djokovic described how in 2010 he met with a nutritionist who asked him to hold a piece of bread in his left hand while he pressed down on his right arm. Djokovic claims he was much weaker while holding the bread, and cited this as evidence of gluten intolerance.

Followed by the time he said we can reverse water pollution with our minds.

I used be able to laugh these off as he was by far my favourite tennis player but man is he dumb

Well it may not be since it is so transmissible that the marginal benefit may be negligible overall.

But just suppose there is an increased benefit overall. Can a tiny, un-measurable benefit form the basis of an undeclared scapegoating and demonisation campaign, an exclusion campaign from most public buildings, 'tormenting' people (Macron), mandatory vaccination (Schallenberg/Nehammer).

(Not accusing you of any of these things Gregor)

All of these things would be wrong and injustifiable in any case imo, but now the vaccine hype machine has gone haywire they have also become farcical.

Also why are people treating it like a partisan issue? Like they personally have to over-hype pharmaceutical products they had no hand in manufacturing otherwise bad people ('anti-vaxxers') will score political points?

Well he's gone on to be the most successful male tennis player of all time

In [x] years time, people will be looking at the records, not this tosh that he came out with.

He's a tennis player, not an after-dinner speaker.

Two of my kids (8 year old twins) got it the week before Christmas - positive antigen and PCR tests each. Myself, my wife and my eldest daughters (all double vaxxed, but not boosted yet) had to isolate with them. They're 8 years old, and it was Christmas, so we couldn't isolate FROM them. So we were locked in a 4 bed house with two infected for 10 days and nights. We took some precautions, but they were sitting at the same dinner table as us each day, watching the same TV, using the same bathrooms, breathing the same air. To be honest, we assumed we'd get it, so we thought why make life difficult trying not to, and not get it over with. But we didn't. No symptoms whatsoever. Fully clear antigen and PCR tests for the three of us.

Obviously this is purely anecdotal and carries no scientific weight whatsoever. Who knows whether it was down to vaccination, them being small kids or pure luck. But I just wanted to share it as part of the bigger picture.

Thanks. That may have been due to vaccination. However on the Diamond Princess initially and since (people sharing beds etc) some people seem to have innate immunity. At a dinner of my friends recently, six got covid and two didn't. One of the people who didn't get it is married to one of the infected people and they're inseparable. All vaccinated.

I know plenty of vaccinated people who have caught Covid. It doesn't confer lifelong immunity to mutations, it does however dramatically reduce severity and deaths from the disease. Most people understand this, even children I know understand this.

The fact that there are record numbers of cases, also huge numbers of hospital staff off sick, and we aren't all on lockdown is testament to the effect of vaccines compared to last year. Thankfully people like Djokovic represent a small minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That small minority of people is well represented in the ICU beds though. They're currently making up more than half of the patients there while only making up less than 10% of the population. If the vaccines were ineffective, we would be seeing a ratio closer to 9:1 than the 1:1 that we're seeing now and yet people still aren't getting it.

Happy New year Donhnjoe.

We are discussing spread at this particular moment in time. You can jet back and forth between arguments about reducing severity and deaths from the disease (which I haven't disputed, glad that children you know understand it) and how much it reduces spread (anecdotally seemingly not at all, with possibly 30k> a day getting covid).

Djockovic being hypothetically more vulnerable to severe disease and death doesn't make him a biological hazard affecting other people.

The reducing-disease to free up hospital beds plan doesn't really affect the Djockovic issue, as he's not likely to take up a hospital bed himself is he?

Didn’t realise it was an argument, it was that nonsensical. Trying to shoehorn an anti-Irish argument into a medical thread.

What happened to the families of Paddy Quinn? Laurence McKeown? Liam McCloskey? Pat McGeown? Matt Devlin?

Breathtakingly stupid take.

The fact that Omicron is much milder, has nothing to do with this? It’s all the vaccines?

Very simplistic thinking. Feck all South Africans were vaccinated and it didn’t effect their hospital numbers either. Sort of screws your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Whatever about whether Omicron spreads just as easily in the vaccinated as the unvaccinated, isn't it fair to say that (wealthy, Western) countries are undoubtedly in a better place because of the vaccination programme? And that maybe the comparative weakness of Omicron is partly because the virus as a whole is getting weaker as we are all vaccinated? Whether Djokovic himself gets ill or not from covid is immaterial. We all got vaccinated in no small part to protect others. It is hard to argue he is not selfish in this respect. Or maybe just really thick- a strong possibility, based on other comments he has made.

Is the issue at the moment that the Victorian government granted an exemption based on the grounds that he had had covid in the previous 6 months, and the federal government has overruled them? Especially with the backlash generated by Djokovic's stupid tweet.

I think the issue is more around it being seen as one rule for the plebs, and one rule for rich people, not vaccination status per se.

Also I'm sure Djokovic Sr never gave a second thought to asylum seekers kept in the awful conditions his son now finds himself in, except they're there for years on end.

Happy new year. Unvaccinated people are more likely to take up hospital resources if they catch the disease, also it's been shown that they are more likely to contract Covid, and are more likely to transmit Covid (they carry the viral load for longer than vaccinated). So as such they are an increased risk to themselves, and others. This is why countries are creating rules about vaccinations during this pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

To be fair to him, Djokovic seems like a very smart and caring guy in lots of ways- he speaks 5 languages and has done lots of admirable charity work for disadvantaged children, through his foundation. He's clearly achieved much more with his life than any of us on here ever will!

So I don't get why he has this blind spot around vaccines, and has come out with some other incredibly stupid remarks. He's hardly unique with his vaccine stance as someone from a Balkans region though. Only something like 46% of Serbia is fully vaccinated.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out on Monday. Even if he gets to play, somehow, this surely will have a major psychological impact on his playing that would be difficult to overcome??

Everyone in the country is getting covid now. The theoretical advantage of carrying viral load for slightly less longer is, in practice, negligible. It hasn't worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

If he doesn’t want to get vaccinated during the pandemic then he is perfectly free not to, and subsequently stay away from the rest of society. That would extend to not playing in international tennis tournaments, not flying to Australia on dodgy medical exceptions and not playing the victim if he’s told to **** off.

I, for one, am sick of everyone having to bend over backwards for the vaccine deniers. Let Djokovic bounce a tennis ball off the wall at home if he doesn’t want to play by the rules.

• Advertisement

Advertisement