Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

They couldn't rely on the south african data as you said many were not vaccinated but quite a few of the people in hospital had covid previously so the data didnt show if it was natural immunity or a milder version.

Now as the data has moved forward it is indicating that its milder but again we have seen deaths registered because of Omicron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Djokovic is claiming a medical exemption for vaccines, by a remarkable coincidence he's also against vaccines.

I would naturally suspect it's something weak

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Considering the un vaxed people are so few why all the hatred towards them on this post, 90% of you are up to date with your needles so why are you all so nasty towards a few people who choose to not partake. At the moment until you are boostered ( no3 shot ) you are essentially unvaxed yourselves according to the most recent guidelines. A little tolerance should be applied and the tennis player made a choice and he should not be soo vilified for that choice the behaviour of the PM in Australia is not that admirable he is over riding some of his own officials . He is so in love with the power switch he has at the moment he cant help himself. I look forward to the elections in Aussie land i have relations there and they are fairly mad with him long before this tennis thing.

yes I would agree BUT you see Tennis Australia and the State of Victoria had an exemptions process put in place.

Djokovic and 25 other people applied and at least 5 people (including Djokovic) were granted this exemption.

They simply used the process that was there

Australia also granted him a visa for entry to Australia by the Federal Government.

This visa would have been checked again before he boarded the flight.

Other players with the same exemption and visa had already been granted entry and were in Melbourne.

The Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Tuesday that the exemptions granted by Victoria and Tennis Australia would be honoured.

There was some media and chat about Djokovic....

Australia's PCR testing is in complete foobar and the government is getting heavy flack....

On Wednesday the Prime Minister flip-flopped, changed his mind, acting all tough guy all of a sudden and Djokovic was stopped by Border Force

Djokovic decides to appeal. I'm not exactly shocked by his decision although the Aussies always raise their hackles in these sort of situations so doubt the judicial system will end up being his friend here but with the inconsistencies shown here it's no surprise that he's not going to give up without making a go of it.

This is where it lies now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Astartes

He got the exemption though, no? You don't think he gave himself one, do you?

Djokovic hasn’t “claimed” anything. His case was put forward to two independent Australian medical boards, both of which, to the accepted standard of the state of Victoria, granted him the exemption. Do you believe the two independent medical boards were dodgy? Or perhaps the state of Victoria who issues the original visa? Or maybe the Aussie Premier who had previously stated that he had no issue with the state and medical boards granting exemptions?

Who/What exactly was dodgy?? Less of the tabloid shite and more facts please.

No need to play the victim. Unvaccinated people during a pandemic at putting hospitals under increased pressure, putting themselves at higher risk and putting those around them at higher risk - if that isn't selfish, I don't know what is. As such, many people don't have time for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

I've addressed the point about spread. We're all aware of the theoretical technical advantage of carrying less viral load after taking a vaccine.

Now how is that working out in practice? Everyone in the country is getting covid. Anecdotally I know seven vaccinated people who got it in the last 1-2 weeks.

Repeating the theoretical advantage of vaccination (re spread) over and over makes it look like a pseudo-explanation. It hasn't worked in stopping spread at the peak (early January) of flu/respiratory illness season. 20-30k cases a day, maybe more.

That's a shame but there's no reason to try to fudge it by referring back to trial statistics data and the theoretical benefits they point to. Anyone can look at the case numbers right now and see that we are 'letting it rip' (in fact we have no choice).

You didn't manufacture these vaccines yourself did you, so your professional reputation hasn't been harmed in any way, so it just comes down to partisanship. You identify some kind of political loyalty with the success of the vaccines and are politically committed to opposing bad people (anyone who questions the vaccines, for any reason).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

Its easy the misinformation that the ant-vax people seem to spread. You yourself have stated that sportspeople are haveing more heart problems that ever and blaming the vaccination, this is cleary false information and has been debunked on here already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

Going by this letter, seems Craig from Tennis Australia should resign

There were certainly fook-ups, inconsistencies and communication errors all-around between Tennis Australia, Victoria State and the Federal Government.

There is a second page to that letter going out about exemption clauses though and with lots of confusing abbreviations, so it's hard to figure out in the end what the fook it means from a legal standpoint.

The Feds "leaked" that no doubt to try to make themselves look good.

None of them come out of this looking good and are all trying to cover their arses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Actually i was replying to a post who brought martyrdom up, calling me names does not make you intelligent, in fact it does the opposite and weakens your argument. It's also very childish.

He also donated $6.5 million out of his own pocket to the Serbian health service for Covid.

Now he's a wealthy guy but that is a still a sizable donation, even for him and Serbia is not a wealthy country so was badly needed.

Second of his donations talked about here.

And that vaccine exemption for a tennis tournament which required vaccinated players is turning out to be controversial. Perhaps the exemption is solid, or perhaps they just rubber stamped him because he's one of the top tennis players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It’s well known that high-level athletes fabricate “pre-existing” conditions in order to use controlled substances prior to competition. A quarter of Olympic athletes are even alleged to have asthma. 🙄

It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Djokovic would fabricate a pre-existing medical condition in order not to get vaccinated, when he is a known anti-vaxxer and its standard practice amongst professionals. Double fault for Djokovic!

What recent guidelines said that you are essentially unvaccinated if you've had your initial round of covid vaccinations?

Are smoking/being fat/ being addicted to something infectious?

There's no vaccine for obesity, and it's not infectious

There's a pandemic, of an avoidable infectious virus, it has threatened to swamp our hospitals, the people who are unvaccinated are putting the hospitals under unnecessary strain by disproportionately taking up hospital beds and ICUs. That situation can be significantly improved by people getting a simple vaccination.

The only thing is that he is more known for rejecting chemical interventions (he may be some kind of homeopathic medicine devotee?) so he does not fit the standard profile of the professional sports steroid/illicit drug abuser in that sense.

• Advertisement

You should send that to judge Kelly in Australia who is handling the appeal.

Lots of solid facts for him to get his teeth stuck into!

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

A report in the Guardian says that Tennis Australia ignored Federal Gov recommendations. It seems that they are behind this whole farce

In another development, the Herald Sun published an information sheet sent from Tennis Australia to players on 7 December that shows it passed on advice regarding grounds for medical exemptions that differs from the recommendations it received from federal authorities.

The document advises a Covid-19 infection in the last six months could be considered grounds that would enable an unvaccinated player to enter the country, provided it was accompanied by documents certifying the infection. It states at the bottom that the information was correct as of 6 December.

Tennis Australia appear to have questions to answer as the sheet contradicts the advice the Federal Government sent to TA in November, via a letter from the health minister Greg Hunt dated 29 November, stressing that a prior infection in the past six months did not meet the requirements for quarantine-free entry.

The Victorian Government said on Friday that TA did not advise them of this development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Obesity etc is not contagious, nor is smoking or heroin or alcohol. None of those are going to infect you by those people being out and about. Being anti vaccine on the other hand is a deliberate choice, against a vaccine which is meant to protect you from a pandemic which has been going on for 2 years.

Nobody has time for anti vaxers because by and large, they are assholes who think they are a level above the standard intelligence - same people had no problem calling everyone else “sheep” over the last year for masks etc when some of the **** couldn’t even tie their own shoelaces by 12 years old. The thick believing they are not imbibed with stupidity but an understanding of the whole thing that normal people just don’t get. They can all **** off.

If you believe I’ve called you anything, report away. Goodbye.

He has been openly against vaccines. He also has other strange ideas, one of them being that "positive thoughts" can cleanse polluted water. His wife has mentioned 5G conspiracy theories on her social media. He organised a tournament in Serbia which had little or no social distancing rules, resulted in himself, his wife and other tennis players contracting Covid.

So why all the abuse towards Djok? He didn’t sign anything off. He didn’t self-declare. He travelled in good faith based on what the state of Victoria told him. How did he become the villain of the piece??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Theres multiple studies connecting vaccine hesitancy with lack of education and lower IQ's.

They are actually of lower intelligence the poor things.

So we’re into the realm of making up fantasies now? Very good.

Yeah that's why I doubt he would have anything to do with peformance-enhancing drugs. Surely he would know that steroids can increase the risk of high blood pressure and inflammation and want to avoid that. He's some kind of 'power of the mind' homeopathic type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fcuk him.

this is exactly what’s wrong with the whole celeb culture. He thinks he can do what he pleases because he’s “famous” and the rules only apply to the small people of the world.

I hope he’s sent home, I mightn’t agree with these rules but it’s worse if they are only applied to the plebs of the world.

Who mentioned infectiousness?

The post I replied to was talking about putting hospitals under pressure. Smoking, obesity, junkies and alkies all put hospital under pressure, especially “during a pandemic”.

There’s a natural vaccine called exercise and a balanced diet. It’s been around for millennia. People are educated about the dangers of smoking, drinking and drugs. Yet they still clog up the hospitals, during the pandemic and before/after it.

Yet they don’t get your ire. I’m gonna guess you’re a smoker, drinker or allergic to exercise.

He should be stripped of all his titles for his carry-on.

We were already there, pal, when people started babbling on about footballers heart attacks and that anti vaxxer’s opinions are valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

If that was me, with his money, I would have a Private jet on the way,Leave Quarantine and Fcuk off home and sleep in my own bed tonight.

He thought the rules were for little people. It appears, In Aus it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭thefallingman

He should be stripped of all his titles because he applied for a medical exemption, was granted it and then got turned back at Customs?

And again.

HE. WAS. GRANTED. A. VISA. BY. THE. VICTORIA. GOVERNMENT.

He didn’t just rock up and demand to be let in. He had to go through 2 independent Australian medical boards, who both approved him. The state of Victoria then granted him a visa. He literally did everything by the book. He followed every rule. The absolute ignorance on this thread is astounding. Pity there’s no vaccine for that.

Unfortunately it’s virtually impossible for any athlete to go pro without “juicing up,” never mind the best tennis player of all time. He’s loaded to the gills while polishing a dream catcher and sleeping through his cognitive dissonance.

That’s the level of ignorance you’re dealing with.

• Advertisement

Dunno, he's an anti-vaxxer so not the most popular at the best of times, less-so during a pandemic

As for this furore over this, he could indeed be the victim of a bad exemption process (or not), either way, people are mega-pissed at elite people getting exemptions while their relatives, etc have been stuck for years, so that ire is going his way now.

He was granted an Australia Visa also, don't forget that.

And again. He didn’t give himself an exemption. 2 INDEPENDENT, AUSTRALIAN medical boards gave it to him. So I’ll ask again, why is he the villain of the piece.

Also, he is not anti-vax, he’s made no statements regarding the vaccination bar the one quoted earlier in the thread where he said he wouldn’t make a statement as both sides were too politicised and he didn’t want to be seen as taking either side.

The frozen-eyed Dan Andrews [Governor of Victoria] is the one holding their relatives hostage. There should be pressure on Australia, particularly Victoria and the Northern Territory, to moderate their stance which is an outrage against basic human rights.

Displaced anger against a celebrity tennis player isn't going to get people their freedom back.

Calm down and reread my post. And yes, he has said he is opposed to vaccination and he isn't vaccinated (and his wife has been warned for repeating 5G Covid conspiracies on social media) - so it's unsurprising people perceive him as an anti-vaxxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its not just vaccines. Have a look at my post above I mean he thinks bread works like cryptonite for gluten intolerant people

Most Aussies support the measures in any polls I've seen.

What has his wife’s comments got to do with him? Is she not an individual Should he go all 50s on here and beat her into submission? Could you quote some of Djoks anti-vax statements??

So you perceive him as an anti-vaxxer and that makes him one. I can’t believe how anti-Serb you are.

In fairness one silly tweet about 5G back at the start of the pandemic is not something to go on and on about

She said something as a follow up that she didn't believe in it

Never typed one stupid post in your life on boards or anywhere else have you?

Djokovic has some weird beliefs about fitness/health stuff for sure but even if it's all in his head, it works for him and he's the most successful male tennis player of all time.

He has, even though he's got to do press conferences every day at tournaments where was asked about it every time, deliberately avoided speaking about vaccines or his own intentions ever since the vaccines became available as a real-world choice.

that's a fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What people are forgetting is that this man is an athlete, he's literally a grade A peak performance human being. And he's being told by unfit, fat, lazy people who sit at a desk all day what to put into his body.

• Advertisement
Advertisement