Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum Alcohol pricing to be signed into Law

Comments

Price hikes do have an impact on consumption, you only need to look at cigarettes for evidence of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

And while we wait ordinary people consuming modest amounts of drink in their own homes will be paying hundreds of euro per annum over the odds for the privilege.

That's typically what happens when the price of something goes up, or less is consumed.

My guess is it will be the latter, but we'll have to wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

All you have for that is official figures and if people aren’t buying products from official sources then you don’t really have any evidence solid enough to indicate an impact on consumption.

There is a booming black market for tobacco now in this country, much cheaper and not a cent goes to the state. Those 50c price hikes every year are sure sorting those smokers out eh?

You are missing the point the price did not "go up" in the normal sense ie. increased production costs, transport charges etc.

The price has been artificially inflated by legislation.

Ordinary people drinking modest amounts do not need to reduce their consumption or be forced to pay more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Education has done far more to combat cigarette use than price hikes - also black market sales of fags have never been higher.

While tax take from fags has decreased that doesnt mean that consumption is following the same rate of decline - just that people are getting them elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Consumption has been trending down anyway, including over the pandemic, so if that continues it may not be due to MUP - correlation does not equal causation.

Have to laugh at Off Licences being the source of the problem - back in the 80's one of the pubs in my rural village homeplace was known as "The Clinic" due to those queuing everyday waiting on the opening to "cure" their shakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Pub near me still has that. 5 or 6 people outside the pub at 10.20am. Stay till 6, home for dinner, back to the pub at 7pm till close. Every day.

First time buying booze since the change. This was €7.49. Think I paid €8.25 for it today.

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-cotes-du-rhone-villages-appellation-cotes-du-rhone-villages-controlee-75cl-cuvee-reserve/4088600088907

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pub near me still has that. 5 or 6 people outside the pub at 10.20am. Stay till 6, home for dinner, back to the pub at 7pm till close. Every day.

I'd love to know how they afford it!

Did anyone see the MUP discussion on Prime Time - for once, pretty balanced. The former alcoholic guy wasn't in favour of it and made some very good points about how it ignores the realities of addiction, and more services are needed. The students' union president spoke very well as well.

AAI basically didn't have a clue what to do when other people were actually allowed question them and contradict their lies. That never happened on any of the dozens of RTE radio talk shows they've been on over the years, it was always just them and the host and some soft questions.

Disgraceful though that the first time RTE even try to have some balance on this issue is when the legislation is already in place, enacted, commenced, and the higher prices are already in place in the shops. It's "safe" for them now to allow MUP to be questioned, because it's too late. Fúcking RTE 😡

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

It's been on the cards for years that this was coming in and there was bugger all resistance compared to other proposals so it went through with full support. Fair play to them for following through.

As for RTE, they are a broadcaster not a political lobby, not sure what you want them to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I challenge this idea that strong drink was ever available for pittance in this country. I think the Irish mentality is somehow conditioned to paying high prices for anything perceived as being 'bad' for us or an 'indulgence'. When something is somewhat reasonable value, it is described as 'pittance'.

A 2l cheap bottle of water costs 45c. A cheap 2l bottle of cider would have cost approx €3.70 (pre-MUP). So the cheap alcoholic alternative to a cheap non-alcoholic beverage was almost 10 times the price pre-MUP.

What's really underlying it is class snobbery ("the proles shouldn't be allowed cheap treats, they can't handle them") And even the Irish Times readership aren't buying it.

If you used the UK examples of white cider you might have a point. But we're not in the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I’m not in favor of the MUP as enacted, but that is cheap, as a previous poster kept saying, it’s quite obviously cheap! And the beer deals were cheap too, irrespective of whether they were cheaper in Spain.

It’s not convincing to say we didn’t have cheap alcohol in recent times, especially compared to the 90s and early 00s.

And why should strong cider be compared price wise to cheap water, in any context, I’m genuinely baffled…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As for RTE, they are a broadcaster not a political lobby, not sure what you want them to do

Exactly. They're a broadcaster, not a political lobby and not supposed to be a mouthpiece for a lobby group, vested interest, or political view. But that's exactly what they've been doing for years whenever the MUP issue was being "discussed"

There was no resistance because most people were either not aware of MUP or not aware of its implications. Maybe they naively didn't think that our legislators could be bought so cheaply.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You haven't seen the pro-MUP comments comparing the price of beer unfavourably to the price of bottled soft drinks?

I think the poster was responding to that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Early days I know, but those mentioned above seem to be the main increases in Tesco. The rest of the craft range haven't changed. Early days I know, but the crafty (rye river), porterhouse and Brú beers were the same price as before Christmas in Lidl.

No, what do they say? I just read the comments above comparing the pricing of water to cider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rightmove

Last 6 words in your post is what this is all about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's been a political trope for a decade that 'beer is cheaper than water'. Recent example by Stephen Donnelly below. It's usually a tortured comparison using the dearest (i.e. smallest) unit that supermarkets sell water in and ignoring that the 5L bottle is often little more than a 500ml bottle.

Donnelly: 'Not ok' that supermarkets selling alcohol cheaper than water (breakingnews.ie)

"When beer is cheaper than water, it’s just too easy for people to get drunk on cheap alcohol at home before they even set foot in the pub."

• David Cameron

"BEER is cheaper than water in many Irish supermarkets. Consumers can buy a bottle of beer for as little as 50c while a small bottle of water can cost over three times that amount."

"It is more expensive for young people to buy cinema tickets or bottled water than alcohol and tragically, large numbers of young people binge drink, usually beginning underage."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

The idea that off license alcohol was cheap here pre-MUP, or comparable to our cost of living, is absolute nonsense. Go to a supermarket in Frankfurt, or one in Paris, and see how much alcohol costs. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than Ireland, despite very high income levels / cost of living there.

Its not just "poor" countries that have cheaper alcohol than us, Ireland pre-MUP already had the second highest price for alcohol in the entire EU. And this didn't stop our problem drinking.

Strange logic given the guys who are getting the money were so resistant to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

And yet consumption was dropping year on year and was down 1/3rd from the 2000s. Thank God for MUP.

You clearly supported hitting people in the pocket.

Own it.

As a tool by which to address undesirable societal impacts?

No problem taking ownership of that in the least.

But the recovered problem drinkers I've heard comment on MUP say it won't address that. Biggest impact will be on their (and their households) food consumption, their landlords rent payments etc. Zero impact on their drinking.

• Advertisement

Good man.

So you are saying to the pensioner drinking a can per night who is having his €5 raise taken away by MUP "take one for the team old guy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Would people really be content if an excise increase was applied?

I think even more people would be up in arms.

I'm not in any way defending MUP - it just doesn't make sense to me - but the argument, "it should have been a tax" isn't a genuine one unless you want alcohol prices to increase, imo. Be careful what you wish for.

From where I see it, Ireland has one of the highest duty rates in the EU, already and has falling consumption rates. I don't see a need for higher prices.

I think we need a cultural shift where drunkenness isn't socially acceptable and normalised. A society where, routinely, drinking 8 pints or more is not considered moderate or reasonable drinking. A society where grown adults don't boast about how much they drank and the idiotic things they did. A society where an ability to consume vast amounts of alcohol isn't awarded with a badge of honour and near mythical status. Paddy Pintman etc.

I think most Irish people actually drink in moderation and that number is growing but we need to stop celebrating alcoholism. We should help people struggling to control their intake, not encourage them. Much more help and education.

Whoa, that turned into a rant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭timtim2016

Who get the difference in price?

Quality hasn't gone up, production cost haven't increased, so who keeps the profit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whoever along the chain is the strongest I'd say.

So the supermarket in the case of supermarket sales - the brewer/distributor for independent off-license sales - and a bit of both in the case of the bigger off-licenses with multiple outlets.

The drinks trade.

Government gets the VAT but for the most part that extra VAT would have come from the money being spent on other goods anyway.

• Advertisement

Government get the vat.

But mostly the retailers and drinks suppliers.

Going back to pre MUP prices in Ireland: It was still cheap though. Just because it was cheaper elsewhere doesn’t negate that at all.

The MUP is not well designed but a lot of posters seem to have a really warped idea of how much alcohol should cost, imo. I don’t think we were that badly off before this.

Agreed and MUP doesn't put one extra euro into treatment and education.

customer is paying for it and and the fact that the country is up in arms about it seems to show I am correct

pandemic where we cannot even stand close to anyone...

Gov introduce gates which need to be opened by hand to drinks aisle - CLOWNS

closes pubs for public safety so ppl stuck having a few at home, so lets introduce MUP - MUPPETS

Is the country up in arms about it? I haven't heard of any marches being held anywhere

This has been on the cards for years and there was barely a peep

As I've said before, for the vast majority this is a non-issue as evidenced by the lack of protest

Lack of people taking to the streets in the middle of a covid wave is really being used to say people aren't annoyed? I guess that's AAI logic summed up.

Well it breezed through the various stages before being voted on in the Dail where it was easily passed.

Obviously not too many folks bending the ears of the TD's to vote against it.

It's also been on the cards since 2013 so plenty of time to organise opposition. It was approved in 2018 and still not a peep.

Like I said, a non-issue for most.

Government, opposition and AAI all lied through their teeth to get MUP through.

Pocket money prices

Beer as cheap as water

Only affects strong drink

Only affects problem drinkers

etc. etc.

But the jig is up now we have been in the shops and seen ordinary drinks that we all buy gone up because of MUP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well it was a great rant.

We Irish really do play up to the stereotype of the drink swilling, fighting Irish man (and woman to)

I posted this on another thread. A British Indian colleague of mine asked me out of courosity why is the first question Irish people ask about a wedding is "What time did it finish ?"

Why do people who decide not to drink on a night out have to make up excuses like "I'm on antibiotics" because they will be queried left right and centre why they aren't drinking ?

Why do we mock people who "can't hold their drink" ?

Having a low tolerance for alcohol is not actually a bad thing. I personally am delighted I'm on my ear after four pints rather than eight like used to be years ago.

We really need to take a good hard look at ourselves when it comes to alcohol.

• Advertisement

seeing is believing and now that ppl see it for what it is there will be hell to pay I hope

Judging by the reaction so far, I don't see much of anything happening as its a non-issue for most.

Claims of similar outrage were mooted when the plastic bag levy was brought in, not a whisper. The same for LPT when that came in, talk of riots, but nadda. Same for a multitude of things. In fact the only thing that has been rolled back on in recent years, that I recall, is water charges which was a great shame and one I hope they eventually revisit.

By all means, prove me wrong and let me know what actions are being done or protests taking place or anything else which might lead to a reversal of the MUP. Happy to review whatever info you provide.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Of course. As any half decent stuff was above mup and does not change.

Only dirt and highly promoted loss leaders are affected.

But the anti brigade hone in on the few drinks that are no longer being sold at dirt cheap below cost prices that encourage overdrinking and the myriad of issues that comes with

But that does assume they're not going to get into a price differentiation spiral - the macro's maintaining their differentiation from the Galahads, and that driving prices up further.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Manislav and Rheinbacher are two of the best quality lagers available in Ireland, and have almost doubled in price overnight. It absolutely does not affect only "dirt".

Why would I bother trying to prove you wrong when I already pointed out where you were drawing the wrong conclusion in your previous post and you didn't even bother to reply?

Absolutely untrue.

Go into any supermarket and you will see all kinds of drinks have been affected by MUP.

So there are no actions or protests happening to reverse it?

You said -

Having a low tolerance for alcohol is not actually a bad thing. I personally am delighted I'm on my ear after four pints rather than eight like used to be years ago.

We really need to take a good hard look at ourselves when it comes to alcohol.

What's this "we" ?

There are people who drink too much and they clearly need to take a good hard look at themselves.

The rest of us who drink sensibly just need to be left alone to get on with our lives.

MUP is a blunt instrument which hits us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

The aim is not to prevent people getting pissed. The aim is to get people back drinking in pubs. Who ironically stopped drinking in pubs because they're a rip off.

Advertisement