Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Commission/Ownership over time

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This be my take on it as well... a person who allowed themselves to be used and paid to enrich others by their actions... I wonder are there any of them around anymore??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I think that's the philosophy behind all job creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think job creation be mutual benefit.... I should have emphasised the word being used...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

A west of Ireland family got a farm nearby and when they brought cattle to the mart my father bought them . They often mentioned it to me even though it is over fifty years ago . Some of the men that had worked on the farm before it was divided would not even tell them the names of the fields which was understandable . There was very little thought put into what happened the familys that worked on the farm . There would have been four full time workers and a few part timers and neighbours were allowed get timber when hedges were being cut . This all ended because the new farmers had a tough enough time getting going . The generation that got the farms farmed it with varying degrees of success but the next generation either set it for a few years and sold it . The widow of one of them eventually set it when her son refused to come back . It is still set

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭raindodger

Remember dad telling me about case where husband died leaving wife and young family. Topclass farm couple of neighbours "agitated" that she would not be able to run it,family got shifted out of there own home and paid off with worthless land bonds . Sure cases similar to this happened all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That's a usual story of a lot of farms now without the land commision ever being involved, It's the way that farms are evolving now and getting bigger, There's great opportunties ut there for young people without having to bother with farming

We have the old receipt book for land commision dating back to the 1880s for the purchase of place here (family history here for several generations previous aparently)...paying twice a year and you could see some payments were upto 9 months late,must been a fair struggle to make them at the time

I must find it and upload the image,im interested to see if these will be released/digitised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

My own family background would fall either side of the land commission. On my father's side his grandfather was a big cattle man in the 20s with a good few hundred acres and had bought an outfarm and borrowed to stock it just in time for Dev to start the economic war and he lost his shirt. Held on to the land but wasn't using it to its full potential (I think that was the term the LC used) and they took it and sub divided it into several farms that went to families from Kerry in the 30s. It was a very sore point for all of his children, who have all since died. They were given land bonds which matured in the early 70s and were worth a tiny fraction of what the land was.

My mothers side were beneficiaries many years later and moved from the west to a new place in Kildare in 1970. The farm here had been going backwards and had become run down and the LC claimed it. They took the bulk of it and split into 2 40 acre farms. My family got one and are still there but the guy that got the other one had it sold within 5 years! There were a few other small fields that went to local farmers. I don't know how that was decided but I'm sure there was plenty of political lobbying. The original landowners got a council cottage on 1 acre. There was ill feeling when they first moved up and my grandfather actually received an anonymous death threat that came to nothing thankfully but there was one or two neighbours who were very welcoming and that helped settle everything in and they were fully accepted in time.

My own feeling is that while there was a role for the LC at the foundation of the state to break up landlord estates I think they were left in place far too long and were given too much power. There's hundreds if not thousands of cases like the ones in this thread where decisions were clearly very unfair and while the curiosity in me would love to get into the LC archives the fallout could be massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

A lot of the acrimony stemmed from what happened at the time the farms were divided. Well deserving small farmers got nothing . While those that actually got the land either didn’t farm it properly or their descendants simply let it or sold it on.

Also, lots of errors in the transfer of individual plots which may have come about because of the volume of conveyancing involved . Some farmers are the legal owners of land which should obviously have remained in public ownership and should have been retained for the common good .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

"While those that actually got the land either didn’t farm it properly or their descendants simply let it or sold it on."

Bit of a generalisation.

And one I would completely disagree with in my limited experience of the mid-Meath region.

Majority of local land commission are dairy and flying.

Have an uncle-in-law came up from west in the late 50s or very early 60s.

Farm is now with his son milking approx 100, farm is 4 or 5 times size of that from LC. With approx 30 acres rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

My experience is also somewhat limited but I can be certain about what happened to a farm beside me in the seventies. The farm was split in three , two local farmers got the most of it with a very small area given to recreational use. The land involved in the original estate is ticking over ( at best ) while both landowners descendants have let out the land they owned originally .

The sons of the small farmers that were ignored by the LC went on to expand by buying their own land .

Don’t get me started with the LC . I’d quickly run out of expletives 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Well off the top of my head I can count 10 or 11 families. All still farming their LC lands. All from the west or south west. As above from kinda Kilbride up to slane.

I know the personal circumstances of 4 pre LC and it wasn't pretty. 10 acres of awful land in 14 fields type of thing. No electricity yet despite the whole east being electrified.

To hell or to Connaught really was tough and the large prodestant estates in mid meaty were rementants of the plantations. Maybe are still huge estates.

But as I say I'm only 40 and I'm sure there are plenty stories from the opposite viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Plenty of that shite went onZ am I right in saying land commission files are sealed and can’t be acccessed by public?

dev moved a lot up to Kildare and Meath to bring up the FF vote. I’m married into a Leitrim land commission family.

my maternal grandfather was born with no land but acquired a very substantial amount of land in Dublin /Meath through wheeling dealing ended up having to sell it because the land commission were going to take it on him for worthless bonds. He was no English landlord. How fair was that????

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

You should be able to find this out by applying to the Valuation Office for the valuation records for the townland. These records show who bought what land from whom and when and for how much. I know in my family’s case the home place went from rented to owned in 1914, and there’s a stamp on the records saying it was a Land Act Transfer/Purchase

To apply for the records, you fill out the form (https://www.valoff.ie/en/archive-research/forms/c3-form.pdf) and send it to info@valoff.ie. They then come back with a quote to do the search which you pay over the phone. And then they actually go and do it, and send you the records. I think it cost about €30, and I included the name of the family in question, and asked for records from when they began to the 1930s. Wound up getting record for the whole townland. It makes for interesting reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TL17

Thanks for this Maisie. Never realised this would be available

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

I knocked across it on the genealogy forum on here and am glad I did! I should say that it’s about 5 years since I got records through it but looking at the website I don’t think the process has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

It costs nothing to just visit the valuation office in person and search the records. If you want to look at a few townlands probably best option. You can even take pictures so don't have the cost of copies either.

Most county's have been scanned and are on computer now so no need to be fingering through those big old books.

Advertisement