Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I luv me cider

I luv me wine

I'm a legend

Not very plausible this

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am not stealing drink...so I don't have a problem....low bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

i wunder how is friend of the show Hyacinth getting on in the south of France these days.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

The rummaging on the phone is worse than the alcohol with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,208 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Thanks for calling in, Marian.

the lady exiting lidl at 10.30 am and guzzling a naggin of vodka was always a sobering sight

• Registered Users Posts: 82,674 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

She might need the services of the local chimney sweeper to give her a good servicing so to speak.

12 years of doing that to your body...

Listening to Tubridy every morning wouldn't help anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lmao

• Advertisement

Jesus that was appalling, I hope her family not listening in , she needs help ASAP

It can be alright.

But not for most people I would say.

I don't drink a lot but I do love a beer on a Friday or Saturday evening, lovely stuff.

Katie off for a stiff G&T

Have a nice weekend all 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Joe back on Monday. Thanks for the warning Katie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Joe's back on Monday???

Wheres me 'cheap cider'?

I would say her family know...she has been doing it for 12 plus years

Probably but my god that hard to listen too 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Pardon the pun, but that was a sobering show... started off with the perception it could be gold, and ended with a women who refuses to acknowledge she's an alcoholic, all though she knows it, she just ignores it.... it was a bit unnerving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

that would be a lot more common place than you can imagine. The minimum unit price will make no difference to her, or most people they claim they are trying to 'help'

What will they do with the likes of Jim McDaid ? He went the wrong way down the duel carriage way after a day at the races. Should he be charged €50 a can for his own good ?

• Advertisement

• WKS or alcoholic type dementia often eventually sets in due to lack of thiamine as the inflamed digestive system cannot absorb it nor the liver process the little that has been absorbed. The tiny blood vessels of the brain become weak and there are micro bleeds which damage the short term memory and cause various kinds of problems from subtle to profound. When the dementia is far advanced the desire for alcohol actually may diminish as the person “forgets” their desire for it. Happened and in-law relative. Have seen Wernicke Korsakoff Syndrome in a number of people and it is very disabling. In third world countries happens because of poor diet and known as Beri Beri and other manifestations.

Education is where it is at, at least if people are aware of what alcohol can lead to some may make an early choice to avoid it.

My great grandfather’s father died of alcoholism aged 36. When he himself had his first drink he declared to his mother “I enjoyed that way too much, that’s the first and last drink I will take or I will become my father”. He never touched a drop again and was very financially successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Callers saying government are shortsighted when it comes to addiction.

Eh, maybe the alcohol is affecting them.

Mup will make little difference to those currently addicted, but it will mean that there will be less addiction in the future as the dirt cheap access to alcohol is gone.

I think the government should go further and no sales unit of alcohol could have more than 300ml of alcohol. So no 1l bottles of spirits or 24 can slabs of beer.

• That was a sobering show, an important one but we definitely need a little Gold on Monday, and I can update de Gold record.

• She is getting around to admitting to herself she is an advanced alcoholic. By declaring it publicly she is taking just one step, but it is fundamental to any further step to recovery if she progresses to that. She knows she has a problem, she says she’s “enjoying” her drink and it hasn’t yet caused enough catastrophe to motivate her towards cessation, if she doesn’t die first.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,674 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They could start their 'crusade' by banning alcohol sales in a place of work like The Dail, also have random alcohol and drug testing before a vote is taken in The Dail.

• I remember this politician asking me in his Letterkenny constituency office for a donation towards the party in return for a favour he did to get a sick friend in Donegal a house. I declined but I now seriously wonder about that proposed donation. 🤔

When people are desperate they will seek it here, there or anywhere.

• The thing is, even if the problem is apparent, even (eg) the family won’t fully admit the full extent of it to themselves until it hits crisis point, no more than the addict dies themselves. Mostly this is to maintain some degree of harmony, and often those close to alcoholics end up being enablers without meaning to. Sparks fly when the person addicted is faced with the full reality of their situation, it apparently happens in each and every such situation no matter how diverse the personalities of affected people are.

• Like every single alcoholic when they begin to explore what’s happening to them, she is tentatively approaching the reality of it, but not ready yet to face it because facing it would mean she had to do something about it. Human nature is such that we don’t face our demons until we are ready, like overcoming a phobia of spiders, heights, whatever it is we might face. But she did the right thing to announce it publicly, she is hurting no one by doing this, and some day if she sees it as less rewarding to continue drinking she has a starting place in already having suggested it to the world. It saves her family/friends etc some of the grief in that she is addressing it outside of them.

• Whoy do I feel it in me waters dat Joe is going to have a yawnfest history show on Monday, is it because de Treaty is in de telly atm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

When I said leading up to it, I meant the days or weeks and not years leading up to it. Nearly everyone was aware minimum alcohol pricing was coming in, but most like myself had forgotten about it or weren't aware of the exact date.

Just thought it was a coincidence that the same approach happened when the club card points were eliminated. Not a word in the days before, but straight after the media went to town on it.

Advertisement