Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to improve stamina for golf

Options
  • 07-01-2022 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks,

around hole 10 or so I start to get really tired and my golf posture and swing starts to get a lot less consistent. This is reflected in my scoring for the 2nd 9 holes also. I’m not sure if the issue is my legs getting tired or my upper body getting tired from all the swings and practice swings, or a combination of both. I have an office job and don’t get much if any exercise outside of golf. I use an electric trolley btw.

what would be the most effective thing I could do to improve my stamina for golf, so that I don’t get as tired and keep a consistent swing throughout the round?

its not a nutrition thing as I make sure to get plenty of water and snacks throughout the round.

if others could share what they did to achieve this that would be appreciated also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Without being an expert I'd reckon a brisk walk a couple weekday evenings would help. Golf walking when playing is all stop start, not great for building any base of fitness. A walk for 40 mins or something twice a week at a nice consistent pace would do the job

If you'd the time to do something during the week I'd reckon it would make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

If you had access to a treadmill, incline walking is fantastic for golf stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

Your base level of fitness seems quite low and needs to be improved. I'd argue that 2x weekly walks for 40 mins aren't enough but Big_drive is spot on with walking frequently is 100% the best place to start off. It's kind of hard to give specific advice other than start moving and exercising several times per week. I'm not trying to be rude or smartarse but the reason for not having more specific advice is that there's no info about your age, weight, injury/medical background etc.

If it's not trouble on your back/knees I'd recommend using a carry/stand bag and playing 9 holes more frequently instead of a full 18 hole round. Definitely will give you more of a workout each time you play without being too taxing. This would definitely build up your fitness better for 18 holes. Another golf based one would be to go to the range regularly and blast out a 100 ball session with a bit of tempo to get the heart going. It can get pricey though if you're in the range all of the time (and repetitive). Ultimately if you're exercising/playing with more frequency the better your stamina will be. This will have positive knock-ons with general health and energy levels :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

First few months after our first lockdown, i carried my bag for every round. Even though i ended up being shattered by the end of the round, it definitely helped with my overall fitness and stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

MORE GOLF is the only way I have found to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Walks for the obvious

Yoga for the flexibility (if you told me this 2 years ago I’d laugh in your face, but I’m a convert)

Do you drink water and nibble as you play (I find if don’t I’m fecked for last 9)

More golf

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I found losing a bit of weight - (maybe not an issue for you)

And started cycling.

If your getting tired towards the end of a round of golf - it is a little signal that your general fitness is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 omanomad

Yeah I do drink water and eat as I play so that’s not an issue. I find walking/running really boring so don’t think I would be able to commit to walking 40 mins or more a few times a week long term, realistically I would give up after a few weeks. Would jogging on the spot at home be a good substitute for this? Are there any home workouts that anyone could recommend? I do stretches, push ups, squats and pull ups a couple of times a week, but don’t do a huge amount of reps for these exercises, maybe I should up my reps or sets? I also have resistance bands that I have been meaning to use more as I can simulate a lot of the movements of the golf swing using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

It sounds as if your cardio conditioning is poor. You need to build this up by as others said walking or running more or cycling. You need to improve your aerobic capacity. Strength training is also useful for golf to increase power in your shots. Gym work is now very important in the professional game but also needed for amateurs like yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There are no short cuts to cardio fitness, if you find walking boring, jogging on the spot won't even last a week.

Instead of walking around the housing estates, drive up to your local forest and mountain trails. The incline will help you progress faster and being out in nature is a real uplift for the soul, if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Someone above mentioned more golf - that is actually the key. The more you play the more you get used to the requirements of a round on your body.

When I joined a club, I found that I was beating my friends that played society golf more as they got tired towards the end of the round

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

If you are that tired after 9 holes of golf( short walk) you will be facing health problems down the line. Unless you are. 70 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Play better on the back 9, nobody gets tired when they're playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Just hire a buggy 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Most people have said it. If after 9 holes you feel tired, you are unfit and there's no quick fix. Spin bike could be an option but often it just becomes a clothes horse. Why can't you walk? Headphones with a good podcast, good play list for half hour/1 hour times a week. Pick different routes etc. There's is no magic fix, gotta put in the work to get fitter

Also what snacks do you eat during a round. The usual snickers wouldn't exactly cut it. Fruit like bananas, an oat bar/high in protein and at least a litre of water. Sometimes I might even bring a ham and cheese bagel if I'm on time with getting ready etc

I'm telling you as a 6ft 100kg guy who often plays 36 holes easily to a good standard. I'm fit from running and gym. I just eat too much😁

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

The last poster got it spot on. Get off your arse and start moving. Would hate to see you in 10 years time if you are tired after 9 holes of golf now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 omanomad

can I ask what your gym/running routine is?

Yeah I tend to eat chocolate bars on the course so must change that to a healthier option.

An exercise bike would be ideal for me but don’t think I have the room so might just have to start walking more. I live near a beach and a park which are great but even then when I do the same walk all the time I just get really bored of it, but sounds like it is really my only option at the moment. The only other thing I can think of is maybe some sort of no equipment cardio routine I could do at home, must look up YouTube to see if I can find something. Have kids so don’t have time for more golf unfortunately and don’t have the money to join a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

Walking can be supplemented with some bodyweight exercises at home. Push ups, squats, lunges, calf raises can all be done without any equipment. Just make up a little circuit for yourself and do 2/3 times a week. 10/15 mins would be loads to start you off. Don't expect quick changes, just be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭Xander10

I had the exact same issue a few years back when fairly unfit and only playing occasional rounds.

At the time, a gym was installed in our office. Due to a shoulder injury at the time, I just used the thread mill every lunchtime for about 45 minutes. When I eventual got back playing golf, I found myself being able to sprint up the 18th fairway.

So yes, find a routine to even walk more, on a daily basis, increasing distance levels to gain the fitness level to avoid that flagging feeling on the back none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭spuddy4711

Disengage the drive on your electric trolley for the front 9, you may need to fiddle with the wheels to turn it into a push trolley.

This will help build stamina, you can engage the drive whenever you feel you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Just because you are eating doesn't mean its not a nutrition thing. What do you eat during a round? you could be eating/drinking the wrong things? You need carbs during your round and before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Sorry to be blunt but it sounds like a case of 'want to get fit but don't want to put in the actual work'. If you can't commit 40 mins of your time a few of times a week to working on your lack of cardio fitness (the obvious issue) then I don't know how on earth you expect things to change with stretches, pushups or resistance bands. You simply have to move more and for prolonged periods. Based on above, you've already given up before you started, without even taking a step. The benefits of walking & running go way beyond simply lasting a round of golf. You're talking about dramatically improving your well-being if you make this a habit. You'll get over the 'boring' mindset eventually, just stick with it.

Many good suggestions here already like listening to music/podcasts, changing up your routes (drive somewhere if you have to) or walk with a friend. And get some good comfortable shoes. It's rare you ever regret a good long walk or run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. If you really want to improve you're fitness you will have to put the effort in starting today if possible. There's no excuses. Move more, eat less and eat well and your fitness will improve. Don't come up with stupid excuses not to exercise i.e. it's too cold or wet outside or put it off until the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

You don't need to do cardio(running/walking/jogging/cycling) to work on cardio. What you need is a good plan that you can do at home, commit to it and give every exercise you are planned to do your all. I lost weight in 2018 by following a good plan, improved my fitness, don't get tired playing golf anymore, hit the ball further and didn't once do any cardio other than giving the workouts everything. Lockdown fucked me over though so I'm nearly back where i started.

If you want to get fit you wont make any excuses. You already know the answer to your question really.

Post edited by DuckSlice on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I hate jogging/gym for the sake of it. I won't run unless chasing a ball be it oval, round or small white one. Do you play any other sports, why not try and play some 6 aside during the week. I have never played GAA is there social GAA where lads can go play a social game with less numbers. For example soccer has 6 aside etc, rugby has tag - does GAA have an equivalent for people who want to play but don't want to commit to training/club matches? I am old and play Tag a couple of times a week (during winter)

Walking in the dark is hard so as others have suggested go a walk at lunch listen to a decent podcast/music. Drive a few mins away to do different walks. I have a push cart and my bag is really heavy (too many golf balls), I always feel like cheating if use an electric as do see golf as a form of excercise. I bought a second hand golf glider but will only use it on a really hilly course or on golf trip where playing a few courses in a few days. Basically there is no shortcut.

Advertisement