Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless tents in Malahide

Options
  • 06-01-2022 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 RyanOS

Hiya,

Does anyone know what the story is with the growing number of tents located opposite the Greenery? It used to be one tent well hidden from view and now it's become a camp full of homeless people. Should they not be removed by Gardaí as I'm pretty sure camping is not permitted. Not great addition to our beautiful village...

ROS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Not sure about Malahide but the Phoenix park is full of them, and the mess they leave is unreal, despite the fact the council left a load of bins beside them. The gardai have ignored them for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Wow, just wow 😡 No concern for why the people are there or how they are! Just worried about the 'beautiful' aesthetics of the 'Village' how very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RyanOS

Well, you're more than welcome to check on them and invite them to camp in your neighbourhood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm surprised it has taken this long for more permanent encampments to take hold in Ireland, as Ireland has relatively strong protections for itinerant lifestyles (compared to other european countries, due to Traveller-related protections) and has relatively left-leaning local councils in many areas (who tend to be less aggressive in dealing with this). The only thing stopping this from being 100 tents rather than 10, is the poor weather not being conducive to that lifestyle.

Looking at the larger Californian cities, a person can pitch a tent in the grass verge outside your front door and you have literally got no recourse to get them moved or dealt with in any way (littering, anti-social behaviour, etc), and they do, and many of them are employed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/02/americas-tent-cities-for-the-homeless/462450/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

What an absolute horrible troll you are, you go through the hassle of setting up a new profile just so you can be all 'malahidey' VERY SAD and again you show how HORRIBLE a person you are, they are human beings.

Here's the contact for your Local councillors - https://www.fingal.ie/taxonomy/term/263

Here's the contact for your local Garda station - https://www.garda.ie/en/contact-us/station-directory/malahide.html

I'm sure they'd all be delighted to hear your hateful views...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I saw them recently and apparently local charities are in contact with the occupants, who don't want to move to assisted accommodation. I heard anecdotally that many Malahide residents are bringing them hot meals, so clearly not everyone feels the same way as the OP.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I don’t think it’s up to campers to decide. Camping is not permitted and they should me moved. I have reported this (thanks Celticbest for the links) so hopefully they will be gone soon. I’ve also heard, there were syringes and needles found close by…

• Yeah, I bet you heard that!

honestly the only thing I could say is I hope you one day end up homeless just to get a taste for it and see how you’ll feel when you’re the one being forced to leave the place you try to get some shelter in the middle of winter.

bravo though OP, you’ve set a course to make a miserable life a bit more miserable for some poor bastards.

As long as you know you should be ashamed of yourself.

They are being offered accommodation and keep refusing it. I guess the reason is you’re not allowed to take drugs or drink alcohol to be eligible..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's a countrywide problem, homelessness. I'm delighted they're camping in Malahide of all places tbh, the snobbery even in this thread even, people think they can just hide away from these issues in their enclaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

There must be a reason for choosing to camp in Malahide, that particular area where they are camping by the coastline is very exposed to the elements so they must be freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭MakersMark

While it may seem the right thing to do, encouraging tent cities in Ireland is not a good thing to do.

Unlike the US where this is a huge problem, Irish homeless do have many more options.

Homeless shelters need to be properly policed so that people can feel safe and be properly cared for there.

Camping in villages is wrong, and the people who live there have a right to object.

If you genuinely feel that they don't and are not just virtue signalling, invite some of the homeless to camp in your back garden. Otherwise you're just hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭MakersMark

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

You are either very unobservant or haven't been living there for very long.

The tents have been dotted along the beach for almost 5 years from Autumn through winter. One or two moved up closer to the village. and a couple closer to the old toilets at the bus terminus at hicks tower. I was working out there a few years ago and a big row had spilled onto the road there after one tent had blown over. Two tents have moved to the other side of the train tracks. A few of the tents this year have, as you mentioned, moved further up towards the village, but they were always there, just maybe not in plain site.

As a local, you may do better asking your local TD. You know, the minister for housing, local government and heritage. I believe his office is in the village of Malahide.

There but for the grace of god go I...

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

why dont the people setting up these tents do it in their gardens or take them in, it disgusting around the city rubbish and street being used as a toilet, shelters have these facitities and dont allow drugs so their sence of entitlement take a new level.

B4 u ask i work and pay for where i live

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No. The right thing to do would be to build houses.

Most if not all posters on this thread are lucky never to have had to worry where they sleep at night or had a hungry day in their lives.

• what is this ridiculous statement about not really caring about someone’s situation unless you invite them to your gaff?

like you can have empathy for someone, be willing to leave them be, without also wishing to invite strangers into your house.

like it’s a pretty stupid argument. Of course no one wants to let a stranger live in their gaff, god knows how that would end.

but that doesn’t mean it’s grand to force them out of a public space when relent they’re not doing anyone harm just trying to stay sheltered at night.

Boo hoo the tents look bad, go cry about it to the government and perhaps they’ll do more to help folks. They’re unlikely there by design rather they’ve been let down in a variety of ways.

One of those being unaffordable rentals and not enough social housing to get them off the street.

I feel sorry for any homeless person because I’ve been there and it’s shite. That doesn’t mean I’m turning my house into a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

Why don't you just marry them if you care so much about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Living in a tent provided by someone in the depts of winter so you can be free of any co habating rules such as drinking, smoking, shooting up and toilet/rubbish as you like, is not a homeless issue, it could mental care, its breaking the law, may seem like an innocent harmless protest at what available in emergency accommodation, but spare a thought for those who have the job to clean up your **** and pay tax that gives social every week you are parasites wont help anyone or contribute to a society thats owes you everything.

The homeless person who wants to rejoin society will be helped most of the time it should be all,the but many will waste the opportunities and limited resources the state can provide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement