Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aeropress Vs French Press Vs Moka Pot ?

Options
  • 07-01-2022 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Am I correct in saying that the Aeropress is the 'best' brewer even if the quickish answer is there is no best and each have their strengths ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yes. 😉

Used all three but.......to get the cleanest and in my opinion, purest cuppa is through a filter paper. I use a Kalita Wave (pour over type)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I have a mokka pot I got for 3.99 in TK Maxx 10 years ago and it still makes a great cup of Joe, it actually seems get better with age, only ever needing to be rinsed with water to keep it going. Never been a fan of french presses myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Can I add Clever Dripper to this? Easiest too imo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Well Im using French Press (90%) and Moka pot (10%) .The former is a great workhorse for producing medium quantities of quaffable 'fine quality'' coffee while the latter is a temperamental little divil that can do a great espresso with serious perseverance and devotion to honing technique (round hand cut paper filter helped me ).If asked which I prefer Id have to say French Press .But Im wondering if I should go down the Aeropress road ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

agree with this, Clever gives a better cup than the Aero

I think Ive realised I dont want Aeropres as it makes an Espresso type drink and I prefer a medium strength very large mug .So I guess I will go down the road of french pressed whole beans ground with my en route Nevermore C2 (65 euro from Bear Market ).

Is the Clever Dripper adaptable to make a variety of volumes /strengths?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The large one does up to about 450ml - so a very, very large mug or two small cups. Strength will really depend on teh volume of beans and grind and beans themselves really. You can pick one up for €25 so not a big investment. You will need paper filters for it too (size 4)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Aeropress doesn't only make "espresso style"

I use it to make a decent sized cup of black coffee, it holds about 250-270 mls of water, and yields about 220ish mls of liquid after pressing, which you can top up with hot water if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, just add more water to the aeropress, and top up with hot water after if you want.

I only use mine the odd time these days. But it's amazing when camping. Easy to carry and use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I have all three (and more), I use different methods depending on the mood! In an aeropress mood at the moment. Probably feel I'm drifting towards the filter approaches for that cleaner taste.

Yeah me too but I had a religious experience with ground beans in a Moka pot yesterday :-) It said ‘golden raisins’ on the bag and I got ‘em !

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Yes it is! I have too many coffee making devices and I almost always only use my AeroPress. It is the quickest, easiest and makes the best cup of filter in my opinion!

I’m settled into Clever Dripper using this technique with ( Timemore C2)ground beans as my daily driver .https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RT_XX138nRs I’m happy out …

At the risk of causing a shortage those Lidl ‘Wicklow’ beans in light blue green bag are pretty darn good for the price .

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Add water to the aeropress brew, that's what you're supposed to do anyway, every coffee is made with espresso and added to then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a chap whose opinion i trust (he runs a roastery) reckons the v60 is the best. i don't own one so can't comment, but choosing between the moka pot and aeropress, the latter is much less faff and produces a fine mugh of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Used French press and Mokapot for years. Got the Aeropress about 7 years ago and switched to that for a year or so. Makes great strong cup of coffee enough for me but not quite enough for two. Got the V60 then and use that all most exclusively now. Have got used to the cleaner less intense flavour and generally favour it now. Got the V60 insulated server later which is great as I can make a pot first thing and drink over a few hours.

Still use the Aeropress a bit for quick mugs and it's great for camping. It and the V60 are so handy for clean up compared to the french press or moka pot. Considering getting a Moccamaster though. Would be handy to only have to grind beans and throw them in the filter and walk away than standing over the V60 topping up with the kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Have been making "proper coffee" for about a year now with the Aeropress, V60, and French Press - my favourite is by far the V60.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m looking on getting a V60 and insulated server- is Amazon.co.uk my best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Looks pricey enough on amazon, I only paid €38 from an online Irish store but they are closed.

€56 delivered from here which is about a tenner cheaper than amazon.

Seems to be a new version, prefer the look of the old one but the lid disassembles for cleaning on this one. €63 delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks- I actually went for just the 700ml glass jug and got it for £14 - it’s actually all I need for the moment- I’m building up collection of coffee stuff slowly - also brought a cheapie goose neck kettle for pouring but purchased the V60 02 this evening with filters- can’t wait to start my learning journey

One year into grinding beans to make pour overs ( after a similar period trying to convince myself I like tobacconesque French press ‘stews’ )Im gradually picking up a few ‘insights’ eg there’s a gradual deterioration in your ( kettle in my case) jug water filter , cleanliness of grinder and freshness of beans ( best from 2-5 weeks after roasting ?) .If even one of these three variables is off you probably won’t have the best experience and if two are it’s blandness guaranteed . But they all decline gradually so it’s hard to notice .

Im settling into orangey roasts like Bear Market Holy Roast house blend ( they do a separate filter and espresso variant ) and the CoffeeAngel ‘Butanega’(?)

Just about getting through a kilo before it ‘goes off’ .

(Using Clever Dripper and Timemore C2 and not sure I want tO invest the three figure sum needed to upgrade hardware )

Post edited by 2011abc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

For making enough for a few people I go for my chemex.

Love the aeropress in work.

Recently tried using moka with an Aeropress filter in it - worked well I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

I have a moka pot and an aeropress. I prefer espresso in general and I have my technique honed in for the moka pot. I much prefer it than the aeropress. Both good options though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Moka pot all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I find people generally over extract with moka pots.

Advertisement