Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

not sure if they are building on much success from 2021. Djokovic won 3 of the 4 slams and reached the final of the other. I do think however that Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitisipas will continue to improve. I am less convinced by Rublev and Berritini in terms of winning slams but I could be proven wrong. I do feel for Thiem, regardless of the big 3 being missing when he won his US open, he had proven himself already in my opinion reaching a number of grand slam finals before that and with wins against all the big 3 in the grand slams (even if not in a final).

The other ones to watch this year will be Sinner, Hurkasz and Alliasime. They were making some inroads last year and Sinner and Alliasime are very young and once they develop more physically I think they have great potential. You could say the same about Alcaraz. I think maybe for those 4, it might be 2023 or later when they break through.

If the other slams follow Australian open protocol, that could rule Djokovic out of some of the slams this year which would be a big blow to him in his quest for 21. We can pretty much rule him out of winning Oz open this year, I would always make Nadal favourite at the French regardless of form. I feel Djokovic will be favourite at Wimbledon but US open is a total lottery these days as its the one slam that has thrown up so many different winners since 2010

Yes, obviously the basis for anything applied for should be kosher.

The Aussies booting out the other players who had also been granted exemptions and visas, after some of them had already been let into Australia is simply an after-the-fact "clean-up" exercise to present some illusion of retrospective consistency and signals the fact that the appeals hearing that will take place on Monday is a mere formality.

As Nick Kyrgios would say, the Australians come out of this looking like "tools".

Djokovic is going to be nowhere an Australian Open tennis court by the time the opening round kicks off.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭josip

The world has turned on its head. Kyrgios critical of Aus and mildly supportive of Djokovic.

I still expect him to be on his way home on Monday.

Think there's a bit of confusion here.

Australia did not grant a medical exemption to Novak. Having covid in the last 6 months is not a valid reason for an exemption. The federal health authorities wrote to Tennis Australia in November stating as much.

Tennis Australia are at fault here for providing misleading information to the players and for granting meaningless 'exemptions'.

There is confusion, but it's not as simple as you portray.

If the TA exemptions were completely meaningless, then how did Renata and at least one other official make it past Border Force and into the country without any questions being asked? Many Australian institutions are being shown to be inept here, TA (we already had our suspicions), Victorian Govt, Federal Govt headed by Morrison (no surprises there) but Border Force are very competent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Australian State of Victoria Government were the the second stage of the approvals process for the exemption!

The Federal Government, the prime minister himself, Scott Morrison, vowed to honour the State's decision a few days ago!

On Tuesday, he said federal authorities, who control the borders, would "act in accordance" with the state's decision as "that's how it works".

He had been granted a visa for Australia by the federal government!

This visa was rechecked and re-validated before he took off for his final flight-leg for Australia.

It was a fook-up on all levels from State to Federal Government and the politicking and back-tracking in the light of some public and media chat when Djokovic was already in the air is really pathetic on their part.

The "cover-their-arses" approach since has been even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭_H80_GHT

This whole debacle is proving to be very entertaining. Part of me would love to see him allowed to play.

Be some spectacle watching his first round match.

There is zero chance of his appeal succeeding I think.

These retrospective moves to "clean-up" the other exemption holders - some of whom were already playing tournaments in Australia! are a prelude to that as the NO from the judge couldn't stand up without that.

Border Force themselves weren't very consistent / competent if the other exemption holders (and federal visa holders also like Djokovic) were let in but now they are to be (some already gone) thrown out!?

• Advertisement

Not quite.

The two step process involving the Victoria state did not guarantee entry into the country.

I'm no fan of Scott Morrison but to be fair, he said a few days ago that he didn't know the details of Djokovic's application, but that if he could prove sufficient grounds for an exemption that's fine. If not, he'd be on a plane home.

Visas applied for and granted before travel are always contingent on satisfying the conditions once you get there. Anyone remotely familiar with Australia will know this.

Even if a previous covid infection was sufficient grounds, Djokovic could not provide proof of this. I highly doubt he had it in the last six months at all.

Look, this could go around and around.

They (State, Federal, Tennis Australia) ALL screwed up really in this debacle / omnishambles.

If it was just some issue with Djokovic there would be no need to now fcuk out the other players that had already been let into the country on the same exemption and visa.

That's obvious.

The arse-covering at all levels going on is putrid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'm almost losing track of this story now cause so much has come out inside the last couple of days.

Having covid in the last 6 months is not a valid reason for an exemption. The federal health authorities wrote to Tennis Australia in November stating as much.

I think this is the crux of the issue now. If this is true, did tennis Australia really never communicate it to the people who needed to know? If true, why not? Were they perhaps hoping a blind eye would be turned? Either way I don't possess a lot of sympathy, if they'd just rolled up the sleeve like everyone else they wouldn't be facing these problems.

One has to wonder with Djokovic too, what's the long-term goal here? He must know by choosing to remain unvaccinated he's gonna be facing similar problems across many jurisdictions.

I think the crux of it is that this was poor communications. It sounds like the federal government laid out the rules that players need to be fully vaxed and that a medical exemption alone was not adequate. Media seem to be suggesting that they informed Tennis Australia of this. However it sounds like Tennis Australia might not have made this clear to players. As a result there were nearly 30 exemptions requested, we know several players got these exemptions. These players then presumably thought they were good to go and came to Australia as they were told all was good to go.

What now transpires is these exemptions dont stack up for the federal government and border forces and they are looking to send players back on a plane. Now all of this would surely have been avoided if this had been communicated correctly in advance. Presumably none of these players would have wasted their time coming over to Australia if they knew their medical exemption was pointless in order to enter Australia.

Regardless of people's views on certain players and one in particular, this now looks like a cock up somewhere on the Australian side in terms of poor communications between different authorities and that message then going to the players. This is the challenge when you start to make exceptions to a rule, poor comms and any confusion and a can of worms is opened. Djokovic is coming out as the villain, on the one hand it could all have been avoided if him and other players just got vaccinated but equally this wouldnt have happened if communications had been clearer as they all presumably would have stayed at home and none of us would be discussing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If Djokovic's appeal fails, which is likely, will he face a ban on entry to Australia in the future, I.e.for next year's AO? Or is Djokovic likely to skip the AO in the future after this fiasco

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It seems that Tiley cocked it up from looking at this. It seems pretty straightforward - Even if infected in last 6 months, you still require the vaccine.

What an absolute global embarrassment for any notion of Australian competence and one of the most blatant displays of arse-covering and politicking ever seen.

All levels of Australian officialdom come out of this smelling of poop.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

He could in theory get a 3 year ban from entering the country.

His next 12 months looks like it may not contain much tennis if he remains unvaccinated, and after than the next guys will probably have passed him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If he lied about his medical exemption in any way then I think a ban from entering Australia for X number of years might be likely. If this was just all a communications cock up or a misunderstanding then that would be completely ridiculous.

That will be interesting to see. If there is a ban then that could rule him out playing again as he is already approaching 35. Even if he is'nt banned he might be in no rush to return after all this is over. On the flip side, its the slam he has been most successful in his career. If he wishes to add to his grand slam tally, the Australian Open is statistically his best chance to do so. That being said, these days I see his chances of winning Wimbledon every bit as high as Oz open. Nadal is always favourite at the French open and the US open is a lottery where any number of players could win

• Advertisement

I don't think it's all Tiley's fault. He seems to have liaised very closely with the Victorian government about the exemptions and Morrison even said a few days ago that he'd leave it up to the Vics whether Djokovic was allowed in or not. The Vics were spooked by the pitchforkers and chucked the decision back to Morrison who now thought it would be a slam dunk political win to take the decision at federal level to deport Djokovic. What Morrison didn't realise is that he's more disliked than even Djokovic and that many people who would previously have been anti-Djokovic (eg. Kyrgios), are now softening their stance purely because Morrison is a tool.

Well Djokovic will be defending his French Open Title whatever happens

Surely some might insinuate that some money changed hands?

😂😂😂

yeah, trying to lump all of this on one guy is a joke.

it was a systemic cock-up and with some amount of arse-covering and back-tracking efforts to boot!

And this is how diplomacy and politicking works. The French who are still pissed off at the Australians for reneging on their nuclear subs deal, will be very happy to make such an announcement now to make the Australians look that bit more incompetent come Monday. Whether they announced it of their own accord or at the behest of Vucic is unknown.

Why do they keep saying Djokovic has refused to disclose his vaccination status, nearly every report says this, surely the fact he applied and got a medical exemption implies that he is not vaccinated.

possibly some truth in that.

nevertheless the Australians still look like gobshites without any help from the French.

Big blow to those creaming themselves at the thought of Djokovic never playing again in a grand slam 

TRIPLE CAREER GRAND SLAM in June anybody?

😋😋😋

This is actually quite a catchy tune ->

yes but he has never said it himself (and rightly so to not become a totem pole for the crazies)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Aussies are showing themselves as utter prats here and they're hiding behind same rule for everyone nonsense

Nole is not some ordinary joe. He's one the greatest sports athletes ever, and a 9 times champion in Melbourne

Where is the common sense approach? The chap is going there to play a major slam, not to go sponge off the state, or spread the virus..

Applying for an exemption is an admission of not being vaccinated, anyone vaccinated doesn't require an exemption. So while he may not have said it straight out, it's common knowledge that he's not vaccinated.

• Advertisement

I'm not disputing that at all.

Merely arguing that it's a good thing that he has been refused to be drawn on it.

Advertisement