Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Coutinho confirmed by Villa

Could be a great singing for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm delighted that Coutinho has gone to Villa so early in the window as it stops all that speculation happening all month. It happens every single transfer window since he left and it's so grating IMO as it's never happening.

Klopp wanted him gone once he faked that back injury and all the bad mouthing coming out of his camp. He is never coming back. FSG dug their heels in, in that summer. Not Klopp, he was happy for Coutinho to leave then.

Let's see if he has overcome his bad year and a bit of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

A lot of noise about this fella lately. Chelsea, Utd and Ourselves linked.

Would be great to get some new blood into the first 11. Need to do it while Klopp is here too as players might want to play for him above another manager and could be an added bargaining chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

We would have won the Europa League easily had he played the game so yes, he was in serious form when that injury happened.

A bad injury is enough to permanently derail one's upward curve. It happened to Lucas Leiva and Momo Sissoko as well.

As for Philippe, delighted to see him back in the Prem. I think him and Stevie will work well together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

It’ll be interesting to see how Gerard fits him in from a tactical perspective- early days for him in the PL but he appears to have a strong view on how he wants the team to be setup and play. This is the first time in a while that Coutinho has had a manager that actually wants him so for his sake I hope that helps him.

Its a brave move by Gerard - if this doesn’t work it’ll be a knock for his reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's a strange move I think from Gerrard's side. He'd have seen the antics of Coutinho when he was looking for a way out of Liverpool, he'd surely not have been impressed by his attitude at that time.

Why would you want to bring someone with an attitude like that into your squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

A loan with an option to buy is as risk free as it gets. If it works out Gerrard looks good for resurrecting a career. If not he can simply spin it as 'not quite the tactical option we need' and Coutinho heads back to Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In fairness to Phil, bar that to try force a move his attitude was always spot on and worked hard on the pitch. I'm sure he's full of regret too over leaving Liverpool.

Yeah up until summer 2017, he was fairly sound. Kept himself quiet and didn't make any noise.

But then Barca came calling, and as much as I didn't like his actions, it was still Barcelona wanting to buy a South American player. Of course his head was going to get turned and get his dream move.

The Liverpool of 2020 were different to the Liverpool of summer 2017. We had just come off of a season of aiming for top 4 only, there wasn't even any European football in 2016/2017. We have to look at it objectively from that point of view too.

All that said, the way he left certainly left a sour taste.

Are we on TV the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nope, but rivers will no doubt be available if you know where to look on earth for them

On Premier Sports ROI going by Live on Sat website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Probably the hope that he's matured a bit and learnt from the whole experience. Plus it's only a loan deal until the end of the season - plenty of time to get a feek for whether or not he's a long-term option.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Diego Costa has just became a free agent.

Anything to be said to bring him in for 6 months to boil some piss with other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’d say he’s already on the mercenary flight to Newcastle…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You’re judging his entire personality on one event where he forced a dream move… that sucked, but looking at his whole career, he’s been pretty professional for the vast majority of it. Add on top of that the way Gerrard talks about him, actively calling him a good friend, and it seems a pretty great move. Everyone associated with Liverpool still seems to have a lot of time for him, including Klopp.

He can basically slot right into the Graelish role, and give them a whole new threat that they’ve been lacking. And on loan, it’s risk free. Clever stuff I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

He hasn't done as badly as some on here would lead you to believe since leaving Liverpool, obviously the move to Barca could have went better, but, some of that was out of his control, Barca haven't been exactly stable in the last few years and he has been unlucky with injuries, he did win the CL with Bayern after all, so not too badly off.

It's a good example of how a club in this case Villa can use the loan system to strengthen in an area they are weak in, something we could learn from as there seems to be a huge reluctance to use the loan system.

Coutinho leaving basically funded our champions league and league title wins, as it allowed the gaping holes to be filled with world class players.

He should get a statue for leaving tbh.

A bit early for speculation around the team but I think we could see a strong-ish team lining out, especially down the spine. Especially with 3/4 lads returning from their own COVID isolation, depending on their dates. But I think they might be ok.

It could be something like;

Alisson

X Matip VVD X

Fabinho Jones X

X Bobby X

Thats assuming that all other first team members have COVID, the wings can be supplemented by the kids.

Is the training ground open again? Any update on who is/isn’t training?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Tyler Morton was on press duty today so unless he tests positive between now and Sunday he should feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hopefully a certain poster will stop posting Piers Morgan tweets on here now after his latest tweet.

I see Adama Traore linked to Spurs in a 20 million deal on another thread.

Not a bad deal, would he work at Liverpool? For that money, it's not a huge risk nowadays, he's rough around the edges but not a bad option as a squad player surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Anytime I’ve watched Traore, he looks really good for the first 2-3 seconds after receiving the ball, then seems to either loose it, gives a poor pass or, more often, makes the wrong decision. Maybe he can be improved, but he looks Heskey-esk to me, great power, but little else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That's very harsh Heskey at least Emile scored goals, ok not enough for a striker imo but he did do great hold up play that allowed Owen and also midfielders to into scoring positions.

I actually don't see the comparison at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Robbo might get a game with him not playing for a few weeks bar he's one of the cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I have never understood the idea of Traore playing for a club that is trying to win the biggest trophies. Could you imagine watching him try to break down a team defending their box? He'd run it out of play more often than not. He's great at running into open space and that's it. He doesn't score, he doesn't get assists. Every team knows how to play him now and he has no end product because of it. Playing for a midtable counter attacking team if all he's good for as he'll get you up the pitch a few times a game to give you a breather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Id sign him for his big oiled up arms

Edit - sorry me wife had my phone there

Krawietz has siad one unnamed loan player has been recalled for the FA Cup game.

I guessing it's a center back since there is 3 of them on loan, Ben Davies, R Williams and Sepp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Is Jurgen out of isolation as of yet?

Was Krawietz doing the presser in place of him and Pep Ljinders yesterday?

I didn't see it...

Danny Ward moving to Leicester has to be one of the weirdest ever transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Why? Wasn't Kasper expected to move on to a bigger club at the time, it never materialised, had it happened Ward would have been in place to get the No. 1 spot at Leicester.

You don't make such a move without a guarantee of being #1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Don't think he was particularly in a position to be demanding #1 spot at Leicester. I'm sure he'd have had options on the table to go to a lower placed team - probably in the Champ - and be number 1, but he took the risk of Leicester with the high likelihood of spending a year as backup before taking over. From how things were at the time - a dwindling number of top keepers, and lots of big clubs in need of one - I'd say everyone was surprised the big offer never came in for Schmeichel. Not least Leicester themselves, who never would've been paying that sort of fee for a backup had they not expected him to slot into the starting spot reasonably soon, exactly as they did with Soyuncu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Schmeichel was linked with a return to Man City before they signed Ederson. Afterwards he was favoured to replace Courtois at Chelsea. Leicester moved for Ward in anticipation of Schmeichel leaving for Chelsea. Schmeichel was available for £40M at the time and Oblak was valued at £60M by Atletico. It was bizarre that they instead chose to sign Kepa for a world record fee of £71M, that was only six months after Real Madrid pulled the plug on signing him for €13M. Signing a contract extension did not increase his value six-fold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I assumed it was Clarkson. Thought it weird he wouldn't name him since everyone knows his loan was finished early. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Peter did it today, said they're hopeful of having him at the game but depends on him testing negative tomorrow.

Hope we get to see Kaide Gordon play tomorrow.

Is Thiago gone for the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rumour going about online. Thing is Liverpool rumours online often tend to turn out to be true.

Either way midfield revamp required next Summer.

Rumours he has to have an operation on his hip....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Him and Keita. Great players who looked like they were going to bring so much to Liverpool. Unfortunately they've barely got one functioning leg between them.

Rumors doing the rounds on Twitter that Thiago is out for the seaaon surely not, Can't find the source they started from so probably not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Funny thing about Twitter rumours, sometimes they are true which feeds the illusion that they are concrete. But how many times before matches have we seen rumours that Salah is out or Alison is out, and it turns out not to be true?

Those Thiago rumours are worrying. Unless he is in Spain for another reason and people are putting 2+2 together and getting 5. Either way, he will be a massive loss. Our form with & without him is chalk & cheese.

Looks like Woltman may get a start today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If Thiago is genuinely injured then that does really show how much we need to strengthen our midfield options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Fook is he actually out for the rest of the season? That would be a massive blow as above we are a different team when Thiago plays

Advertisement